Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Helm's Purification Ritual
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  13:41:09  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Fellow Scribes

A rather simple question, can anyone advise me as to what a Helmite Purification atonement ritual might entail, and / or suggest any literature where I might read about it.

Cheers

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

A Dark Alliance - Beyond Baldur's Gate

Edited by - Lily M Green on 04 Oct 2012 14:03:24

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  14:47:40  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not aware of any canon version, so all of this is made up on the fly.

For minor infractions, have the priest stand guard, in full armor, with no rest or break or food or water (or magic to alleviate the above), while remaining vigilant. Start the amount of time at 12 hours, increase as necessary. Optionally, have the church hire thieves to try and slip past the priest once he's well and truly exhausted. If he doesn't notice, he fails. If he collapses, he fails.

For moderate infractions, serve as sole bodyguard for someone moving through a dangerous area. The person should be unimportant, and likely will be extremely surprised by the offer from the clergy (this is to prevent someone important dying if the priest fails). The more severe the infraction, the more dangerous the area and/or the more useless, annoying, or slow the person they're guarding.

For major infractions, send the priest to an area that has no faith in justice or the law. Tell him to resture that faith. Don't come home until you do. This should be the dankest, nastiest, most crime-ridden (and controlled) area the clergy can find.

That last is actually from Ed, when I asked him what a "heroic quest from Helm" would be. I'll try to find you the link, it's in one of the Ask Ed threads. I figure it works just as well for a major atonement. The other two are my own invention.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  18:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoops, I misremembered that major infraction quest. It was for Tyr, not Helm. I would tweak it so that instead of a place that has no faith in justice, it would be a place where no one is protected. This lets you widen it to include both urban lawless hellholes, and wild frontier where people are constantly under attack from monsters, raider, or outlaws.

And then you could give the priest spurs and a ten gallon hat as part of their official regalia.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  21:14:14  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply :) I wonder, if a follower was alone - meaning not in the vicinity of other priests or members of the faith who might be able to decide on suitable penance - when they committed an infraction/made a mistake, would Helm communicate directly with that person his wish for them to make amends or would the follower act on his own initiative?

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  21:24:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My character Kalen Dren goes through a sort of purification ritual in Downshadow, but there's less ritual and more of just "heroic self-sacrifice to protect his sworn ward" sort of thing.

Night-long vigils make a lot of sense, as do guarding things of increasing difficulty.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2012 :  22:38:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green

Thanks for the reply :) I wonder, if a follower was alone - meaning not in the vicinity of other priests or members of the faith who might be able to decide on suitable penance - when they committed an infraction/made a mistake, would Helm communicate directly with that person his wish for them to make amends or would the follower act on his own initiative?

I imagine that Helm would send a vision, or a divine servant. Though, of course, if the follower initiated his own atonement, without direction, Helm would likely accept something a little less than if he had to tell the guy to do it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Lily M Green
Learned Scribe

Australia
115 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2012 :  20:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Lily M Green's Homepage Send Lily M Green a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies, Chaps! A night-long vigil is what I was thinking of, an interesting prospect as my Helmite is currently in a location where, owining the influence of a powerful vampire, it doesn't get light.

(Erik, it makes me sad I still can't get your books on eReader format in the UK :( )

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 09 Oct 2012 :  18:41:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lily M Green

(Erik, it makes me sad I still can't get your books on eReader format in the UK :( )
I know WotC has been working on that, and they announced a few weeks ago that they've signed a new distribution deal that allows ebooks to be distributed outside the U.S. If you're interested, you might check again to see if you can get them.

Also, the forthcoming Ed Greenwood Presents: Elminster's Forgotten Realms sourcebook may contain some information about Helm that you find particularly useful.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000