Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Trobriand's Brand of Magic
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  16:55:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

Considering that Trobriand is now more metal than man, can it be said that he is similar to So-Kehur in Unholy?
So-Kehur became essentially a brain in a metal body, with necromancy keeping him "alive" and conscious...
There is a Khador general who recieved a similar treatment in Warmachine/Iron kingdoms. Can't recall his name (and no longer have the books). I found it interesting - they basically slapped his head on top of a Warjack (mech).

In the Deadlands/Weird West setting, 'revivification' was accomplished through more steampunk, 'Frankensteinian' methods, and often included odd bits of steamtech (you know - like those little bolts Universal Studios decided to stick on the monster's neck).

So using both of those as springboards, Trobriand could be anything from just a head to a Borg-like walking mecha-corpse.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Oct 2012 16:56:24
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  18:25:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

Considering that Trobriand is now more metal than man, can it be said that he is similar to So-Kehur in Unholy?
So-Kehur became essentially a brain in a metal body, with necromancy keeping him "alive" and conscious...
There is a Khador general who recieved a similar treatment in Warmachine/Iron kingdoms. Can't recall his name (and no longer have the books). I found it interesting - they basically slapped his head on top of a Warjack (mech).

In the Deadlands/Weird West setting, 'revivification' was accomplished through more steampunk, 'Frankensteinian' methods, and often included odd bits of steamtech (you know - like those little bolts Universal Studios decided to stick on the monster's neck).

So using both of those as springboards, Trobriand could be anything from just a head to a Borg-like walking mecha-corpse.

Karchev the Terrible. He was closer to a Warhammer 40k Dreadnought, I think... Karchev is more than just a head on a warjack, but most of what is left of his body is not overly functional. The warjack chassis he's wearing is somewhere between serious power armor and an exoskeleton.

And he's no longer in it! He's been ripped out and carried off by Cryx, which makes me very, very hopeful that he'll come back as a Cryxian caster (I've heard the term "Cryxchev" used as a nickname). Not only do I think that would be a very intriguing development, I think it would also be nice to finally have a renegade from a faction other than Cygnar. There's like 17 factions in Warmachine and Hordes, and three named characters who are renegades from another faction -- and all three are Cygnarans turned Mercs.

Dreadnoughts in WH40k -- at least the Space Marine dreadnoughts -- are people who were highly noteworthy warriors, whose bodies were damaged beyond repair. They are sealed up in a "sarcophagus" that is put into a Dreadnought body. The sarcophagus does both life-support and interface, and allows them to control the Dreadnought as if it was their own body. Kinda like a human brain physically wired into a robot. They're put in stasis when not in use. One Dreadnought, Bjorn the Fell-Handed, is 10,000 years old, though they generally only wake him up once a century or when there is dire need.

All that aside, I don't know of anything that says Trobriand is anything other than human. "Metal Mage" is just a nickname for his preferred way of playing with magic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  02:05:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

All that aside, I don't know of anything that says Trobriand is anything other than human. "Metal Mage" is just a nickname for his preferred way of playing with magic.
And let's remember that Trobriand has lived long in Halaster's "the Mad Mage's" shadow.

I would think "Metal Mage" is just Trobriand's way of trying to assert a little power and influence for himself.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  02:39:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Considering that Trobriand is now more metal than man, can it be said that he is similar to So-Kehur in Unholy? So-Kehur became essentially a brain in a metal body, with necromancy keeping him "alive" and conscious...
Not quite. They're similar only with regard to using metal as part of their body. So-Kehur is practically an undead, "a disembodied brain, charged with the energies of undeath to nourish and preserve it, encased in a steel shell," (Unholy, p. 196). On the other hand, Trobriand still retains most of his humanity.

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 02 Oct 2012 02:39:40
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  03:00:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's a bit similar to Hemalurgy in Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn trilogy. Koloss, kandra, and Inquisitors are made through this process. In the case of the Inquisitors (probably the greatest creation of Sanderson), the vital organs are stabbed by metal spikes imbued with Allomantic powers. Their brains have to be literally rearranged to give way to the spikes that run from eye sockets to the back of their heads. The process, as the Inquisitor Marsh once said, is quite "messy."

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  20:04:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I need to read those books.

Anyhow, regarding Trobriand. What folks 'see' (as in, what we, the readers, "know for a fact" can easily be retconned) is not necessarily the truth of things. Aside from the usual illusions, I could also point to cases like Will Smith in the I, Robot movie. We did not know he was partially non-human until about halfway through the film.

perhaps if someone was able to damage Trobriand similarly, we would see something similar, or even an effect like Schwarzenegger in the first Terminator movie. In other words, "all has not been revealed".

Personally, I prefer it that way - it allows DMs to spin the guy any way they want.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 Oct 2012 20:07:23
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  20:53:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Which is most likely the case. What we know of him is so little. One page from two old sourcebooks. Perhaps if Richard could write a novel about Trobriand...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  22:03:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only unusual thing we know about his appearance is that he is very tall. I think Ed would have mentioned a *minor* detail like Trobriand having replaced bits and pieces of himself.

I see no reason to assume he's anything other than an off-the-rack human. Yes, he could be a 27' tall cybernetic flumph/mind flayer/werebunny mixture, but there is nothing to indicate he's not just a normal human.

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  22:43:45  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the people who might have seen him (adventurers mainly) most will likely have seen him in battle, standing behind his Golems and Gondsman fully buffed on spells. The most noticable of these buffs is the Iron Body spell, which will make him look like a tall, long haired T-1000 from Terminator 2.

Other than that Wooly has the right of it, he looks like a crooked but tall, long haired old mage.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  02:13:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The only unusual thing we know about his appearance is that he is very tall. I think Ed would have mentioned a *minor* detail like Trobriand having replaced bits and pieces of himself.

I see no reason to assume he's anything other than an off-the-rack human. Yes, he could be a 27' tall cybernetic flumph/mind flayer/werebunny mixture, but there is nothing to indicate he's not just a normal human.

Indeed.

I think this unnecessary focus on "the Metal Mage" descriptor is entirely too literal. It's not meant to describe any particular physical aspect... just that his arcane practices have a specific leaning toward working with metal.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  04:01:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

It wasn't just Dmitra who thought so. The other zulkirs as well, even Nevron.
What characters think in a novel does not necessarily reflect the reality of the setting where the novel takes place.

Under D&D rules, being specialized in all schools of magic simply cannot be done. And that's not even what that bit says -- it just says "master," which likely indicates that he's past a certain skill level.
And where does it say that novels always have to follow the game rules? Besides, the characters who voiced and agreed to such opinion about Szass Tam are not just apprentices or fledgling wizards. They are Zulkirs, masters of their chosen school of magic. While their word may not reflect the exact truth, it certainly bears some considerable weight. Furthermore, they are arrogant people. Do you think it easy for them to admit there's someone in their realm who's more powerful than them, not to mention that someone is not of their order? Also, mastering Illusion (his "supposed" banned school) would have made sense for him. He was once tricked by the Goddess of Illusion. I doubt he'd let it happen again. And remember that Myrethallen used to be in his side. Who's to say he didn't learn the art of creating and dispelling illusions from her herself?!

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Oct 2012 04:14:48
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  04:45:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

It wasn't just Dmitra who thought so. The other zulkirs as well, even Nevron.
What characters think in a novel does not necessarily reflect the reality of the setting where the novel takes place.

Under D&D rules, being specialized in all schools of magic simply cannot be done. And that's not even what that bit says -- it just says "master," which likely indicates that he's past a certain skill level.
And where does it say that novels always have to follow the game rules? Besides, the characters who voiced and agreed to such opinion about Szass Tam are not just apprentices or fledgling wizards. They are Zulkirs, masters of their chosen school of magic. While their word may not reflect the exact truth, it certainly bears some considerable weight. Furthermore, they are arrogant people. Do you think it easy for them to admit there's someone in their realm who's more powerful than them, not to mention that someone is not of their order? Also, mastering Illusion (his "supposed" banned school) would have made sense for him. He was once tricked by the Goddess of Illusion. I doubt he'd let it happen again. And remember that Myrethallen used to be in his side. Who's to say he didn't learn the art of creating and dispelling illusions from her herself?!

Novels don't always follow game rules... But they follow them closely enough. And not being able to specialize in everything is pretty basic.

And as pointed out, we have canon stats for Szassy that show he had prohibited schools. Kinda hard to be a master of spells you can't cast.

One opinion, stated in a novel, is not enough to overrule prior lore and game rules.

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  05:12:12  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Novels don't always follow game rules... But they follow them closely enough. And not being able to specialize in everything is pretty basic.

And as pointed out, we have canon stats for Szassy that show he had prohibited schools. Kinda hard to be a master of spells you can't cast.

One opinion, stated in a novel, is not enough to overrule prior lore and game rules.

Novels do not always follow game rules. Game rules do not always completely model a campaign setting.

In the novel "Elminster, Making of a Mage" we are told that Elminster progresses through some other classes prior to settling in on Wizard; Elminster's 3e stats, provided in "Epic Level Handbook", indicate he is capable of casting 9th level spells.

However, by the rules, he cannot, with the progression of classes Elminster chose.

Prior lore indicates that Elminster *can* cast spells of the highest level.

Game rules (as Elminster is written up in "ELH") demand that he cannot.

Which trumps which Wooly Rupert?

(Note that one must be wrong, or the other.)

Also, Wooly Rupert, do you believe, from a lore standpoint, that Szass Tam, if he found a Wand of Invisibility, would be able use it to cast Invisibility?

Edited by - The Hidden Lord on 03 Oct 2012 05:31:19
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  05:25:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Isn't it that in terms of canon, novels trump game rules?

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  05:29:04  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, it could be noted that in "Dreams of the Red Wizards" (which I believe to be Szass Tam's first 'source book' appearance), he is listed as a 27th level Magic User, School of Necromancy, Red Wizard of Thay.

He, of course, has no prohibited schools.

In addition, by the (1e) rules, Szass Tam cannot be a Necromancer.

Necromancers are 12th level magic-users, and only 12th level magic users.

=====================================================================

Dennis, it is safe to assume that Szass Tam is a master of every school of magic.
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  05:36:07  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed.

Also, as I pointed out above, the stats in "ELH" don't work, so they are invalid.

It is much better to do ones own npc write-ups from general, simplified, descriptions; if I did not do so, PCs of *FAR* lower level than the many 'pillars of villainy' in the Realms would be mince-meat.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  10:51:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hidden Lord

quote:

Novels do not always follow game rules. Game rules do not always completely model a campaign setting.

In the novel "Elminster, Making of a Mage" we are told that Elminster progresses through some other classes prior to settling in on Wizard; Elminster's 3e stats, provided in "Epic Level Handbook", indicate he is capable of casting 9th level spells.

However, by the rules, he cannot, with the progression of classes Elminster chose.

Also, Wooly Rupert, do you believe, from a lore standpoint, that Szass Tam, if he found a Wand of Invisibility, would be able use it to cast Invisibility?

I am not aware of any rule that says 9th-level spells are prohibited to wizards who have other classes.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  10:53:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am not aware of any "order of precedence" listing for determining what is or isn't canon.

Even if this was written, the opinion of a character is not necessarily a fact.

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  12:49:41  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I am not aware of any rule that says 9th-level spells are prohibited to wizards who have other classes.

The rule to which you refer is in the same book as the erroneous statistics; "ELH".
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  14:39:16  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you give a page number?

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  14:52:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The rule to which you refer is in the same book as the erroneous statistics; "ELH".

I no longer have this book; my copy was destroyed. I cannot comment on the rule without reading it for myself. I'm sure there's more to it, because the rule, as you explained it, is utterly nonsensical.

More relevantly, setting rules trump core rules. And we have countless references to Elminster casting 9th level spells.

And either way, we have canon references to Szassy being a specialist, which in all rulesets includes prohibited schools -- this rule is not overwritten by any Realms-specific rules.

Further, in published Realmslore, we have listed prohibited schools listed for Szassy.

Lastly, all we have indicating that this is not the case for Szassy is a single line, spoken by another character, in a novel. We do not have any published stats or anything to back that up.

And opinions of characters are not facts. Otherwise, there could be a book about the Cormyrean noble Bahb Silversilver, and him telling his current love interest that she was the most beautiful girl in the Realms would make it fact for the setting.

Here are the facts:

We have canon Realmslore, in the form of published stats, indicating Szass Tam is a specialist wizard, with prohibited schools.

We have the stated opinion of a character in a novel, who issues a vague statement of Szass's capabilities. This is a character, not an omniscient third party.

Until there are new stats published for Szassy, the prior stats remain valid.

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  16:25:32  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Hoondatha: Page 7

@Wooly: So, in your Realms, Szass Tam cannot activate a "Wand of Invisibility"?

quote:

And either way, we have canon references to Szassy being a specialist, which in all rulesets includes prohibited schools -- this rule is not overwritten by any Realms-specific rules.

Nope. No prohibited schools in 1e.

Edited by - The Hidden Lord on 03 Oct 2012 16:30:33
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  16:58:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Major NPCs are munchkins, and can violate the rules simply because they can. Heroes (and anti-heroes) are supposed to be 'beyond normal', like Beowulf, or Gilgamesh.

Writers and DMs can decide whatever they want... I chuck-out at least half of any rules set. I would also never bother even looking at write-ups for Elminster or Szass Tam - they do whatever I say they do.

And I could have sworn I saw a feat somewhere that allowed you to take a prohibited school... not sure though.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  17:28:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@Wooly: So, in your Realms, Szass Tam cannot activate a "Wand of Invisibility"?

I make no assertations for or against that.

I wouldn't use Szassy in such a position where it would be relevant, anyway.

quote:

quote:

Nope. No prohibited schools in 1e.

Okay, so in one edition of the game -- an edition replaced 20 years ago, and one in which Szass Tam was not statted up -- they didn't have that rule. It doesn't matter! It's been in subsequent editions of the game, where he was statted up.

The most recently-given stats for this character list him with prohibited schools. Until you can produce more recent official stats, those stats are valid. The lore has not been trumped by newer lore.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Oct 2012 17:29:26
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  22:14:04  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Further, in published Realmslore, we have listed prohibited schools listed for Szassy.
3.5 got those Feats in "Lost Empires of Faerun" - Spell Reprieve, Item Reprieve (this covers those wands) and whatwasitsname.
Also, there was the opposite case, a generalist who more or less became a necromancer (Sammaster).
quote:

We have canon Realmslore, in the form of published stats, indicating Szass Tam is a specialist wizard, with prohibited schools.
...even though "published stats" as often as not are full of it (e.g. Pharaun Mizzrym).
quote:

Lastly, all we have indicating that this is not the case for Szassy is a single line, spoken by another character, in a novel. We do not have any published stats or anything to back that up.
...but yeah, it's exactly like that old "rogue elf" thing with Elaith Craulnober.

quote:

Anyhow, regarding Trobriand. What folks 'see' (as in, what we, the readers, "know for a fact" can easily be retconned) is not necessarily the truth of things.
And it works both ways.
quote:

He had to use something to live that long. Maybe potions of logevity - after all, he got to be a competent alchemist too - but maybe not...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2012 :  22:29:45  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Szass Tam's write-up in DDI?

(This would be the most recent write-up... And 4e wizards don't have prohibited schools.)

Wooly, how do you reconcile Tams use of the Death Moon Orb? A spell caster who is prohibited from using Enchantment could not use this artifact... Yet we have canon which indicates he can.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  03:54:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Is Szass Tam's write-up in DDI?

(This would be the most recent write-up... And 4e wizards don't have prohibited schools.)

Wooly, how do you reconcile Tams use of the Death Moon Orb? A spell caster who is prohibited from using Enchantment could not use this artifact... Yet we have canon which indicates he can.

Artifacts break the rules. Besides, the 3.x specialist couldn't use prohibited spells from scrolls or wands -- that leaves staves, rods, rings, and other magical devices. So even without it being an artifact, we still have an explanation.

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2012 :  05:54:57  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK everybody...Lets all take a deep breath and settle down. Why dont we continue the discussion about Trobriand and his Art?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  05:49:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I am not aware of any "order of precedence" listing for determining what is or isn't canon.

Even if this was written, the opinion of a character is not necessarily a fact.
Not necessarily, but it does bear some weight. It's not just one character, but a few. And not just ordinary characters, but MASTERS in their own specialized school.

Anyway, I have some questions for everyone:

Has Trobriand ever appeared in a novel? Even for just a few moments?

Does Trobriand only focus on Transmutation in bending/manipulating metals? Is Necromancy even 'compatible' with 'metal magic'?

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2012 :  07:50:04  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont recall the Metal Mage ever appearing in a novel except for sourcebooks, then again other scribes might know

Perhaps it is, necromancy could be combined with "metal-mancy" to do horrible things, like undead iron golems?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000