Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Using Art as visual aids
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  13:22:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So yesterday I was working on my Misbegotten Realms map, and decided to add in a couple of homebrew locales. Even though its an Amalgam of a ½ dozen worlds at this point, I haven't really been placing my own stuff until now. I had already made the Flooded Forest (eastern Cormanthor) much larger, and decided I wanted a 'flooded city' there on the coast as a potential adventure site.

So I went looking for some inspiration and found THIS site - thats my 'lost Elven city' right there! (Minus all the modern crap, of course). I might leave the submarine though...

How cool are those pics? Anyone else find cool illustrations and/or sites that could provide some game inspiration?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Feb 2013 13:23:13

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  13:32:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Cool, indeed, especially the rendering of the falls and the abandoned submarine.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  13:55:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A "waterfall castle" (suddenly popular theme which has spawned many copycats and variations, as seen here and here) inspired the architecture and location for a castle long ago built by my players on the Mirabar river.

I like pics of impressive and unusual geography features which might be placed in all sorts fantastic locations. Stuff like Roraima Mountain (Venezuela) or Zuma Rock (Nigeria).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  14:19:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I I have SO got to use that waterfall castle somewhere!!!

Those last shots remind me of the Devils Tower. (The mountain used in the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind.)

I kinda like this one as well - I plan to use Airships a lot as the game progresses (a new 'Sembian innovation'), so that was just a nice bonus. Even though I'm not a big fan of digital art, the rest of that guy's gallery is pretty damn cool (hit or miss... but he has so many, there are still a TON of great ones in there, like this one).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  15:06:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm kinda torn on anything which resembles steampunk. I like the rivets and gauges, don't like the dirigibles and paddlewheels. Small doses of steam are okay, and broken machinery is a staple, but otherwise ... meh. Keep your submarine.

Plus steampunk is still "fresh" and trendy (and full of idiots), I'd automatically lose grognard cred by embracing stuff which hasn't been decades obsolete.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2013 :  15:35:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Elder Scolls concept art would probably be loaded with images that would be useful for game inspiration.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  01:47:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Entreri3478

The Elder Scolls concept art would probably be loaded with images that would be useful for game inspiration.

Morrowind and Oblivion, specifically. Oblivion often had a lot of locations on the map which reminded me of sections I've read about geography in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  02:59:47  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Plus steampunk is still "fresh" and trendy (and full of idiots), I'd automatically lose grognard cred by embracing stuff which hasn't been decades obsolete.

Note to self: always finish swallowing, set your drink down, and resume normal breathing before reading Candlekeep posts. You never know when this advice will save your keyboard.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  03:32:30  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aw don't get me wrong. Plenty of respectable people are into steampunk. It's just the yappy succumb-to-peer-pressure horde I can't endure ... same thing as all those kids who think every piece of electronica is called dubstep. Once they all mindlessly migrate over to the Next Really Awesome Thing, the steampunk genre will become prime grognard real estate.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2013 :  03:39:46  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must say, I kinda want this laptop.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  11:20:52  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I use thousands of pictures, for elven cities: this, this, or
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  15:22:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That laptop is freakin' awesome, xaeyruudh. I may have to attempt something along those lines with my next build.

I do not like Steampunk in my fantasy, although I do find myself starting to bend on that point. I do like it as its own separate thing, in a Gothic, alternate-Earth scenario (the Gothic Earth Gazeteer being one of my favorite old-school D&D products, and the only thing Ravenloft I ever considered running). If I ever go full-blown Steampunk for a campaign, then it would have to be set on an alternate Earth, and not in a purely fantasy setting (something like the world of His Dark Materials, for instance).

I also happen to live only a couple of miles from Tesla's old lab, and pass it nearly every single day. Its hard not to 'get into it' with that sort of presence nearby.

I'll have to check into the Elder Scrolls material. I appreciate all the folks providing links - great stuff.

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Feb 2013 15:26:40
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2013 :  20:20:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

I must say, I kinda want this laptop.

That is freaking awesome! I like!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Khonger
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  01:02:43  Show Profile Send Khonger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do this all the time. I'm a very visual dude and passionate about fantasy art. I have a folder on my computer full of art that I use in my games. Characters, towns, dungeons, buildings, ships, etc.

I see an interesting image and I immediately start building stories around them. What kind of person is this character? Or who lives in this building? Who built this ruin in the jungle and what kinds of horrid monsters live there?

It's one of my favorite things to do in-between game sessions.

I make liberal use of deviantART's search function, the WotC art and map galleries, paizo's blog is full of art (pathfinder art obviously, but sometimes applicable), Magic the Gathering card art, and sometimes just a good old google search.

Khong!

Edited by - Khonger on 11 Feb 2013 02:07:10
Go to Top of Page

Khonger
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2013 :  01:07:09  Show Profile Send Khonger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This could make a fun forum game.

Someone could post an image. The next poster could come in and spitball some ideas as to what the picture is and how it fits into The Realms. Kind of tell the story behind it, with the caveat that their story fit somewhere in The Realms. Then you post another image and the next person comes in to repeat.

Khong!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2013 :  15:00:26  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I remember, when I was ten, I wrote a novella inspired by my cousin's exquisite painting, which unfortunately had already turned to ashes during a house fire. I can still picture almost every detail of that painting.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000