Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Living Constructs of the Realms: Wooly's Warforged
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  01:17:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

The presence of the Spelljammer ship in Myth Drannor is explained in the "Fall of Myth Drannor" sourcebook.

-- George Krashos

I'll have to look thru again; it's obviously been a long time.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2014 :  01:20:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

What, if anything, would a Crown of Stars be capable of planetside?

The same as a minor spelljamming helm. The main thing about a crown of stars is that it's portable and not bolted to the ship.

I would expect that a crown of stars would work quite well for Dretch's goals, but we don't know that there is one anywhere handy for him to find, or that he knows what one is... In fact, in the description of the item in the original Adventures in Arcane Space boxed set, it says that more than one groundling sage has been befuddled by the purpose of a crown of stars.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  16:22:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No changes, other than changing the links in my first post.

Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  19:35:17  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Everytime I've asked around about FR warforged I get directed to the Netherese and their Construct armies.

Evidently there's a reference somewhere in FR lore to an old tower that is still filled with war-constructs from that era.

When I use warforged in my FR games they're remnants from that bygone age or newly created by surviving Netherese mages.

Apologies for not knowing exactly what I'm talking about, I just know that on more than one occasion this has been the suggestion to me by more Realms savvy individuals.

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  20:12:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't say I'm recalling anything about the Netherese having construct armies, or a tower full of war-constructs. This isn't to say it's wrong; I'm not an expert on the Netherese.

Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  21:21:34  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found one of the times I was referred to ancient Toril as the source of Warforged. As a Faerun newbie I did mistake the ancient civilization rferenced though.

Turns out It was Raumathar who had/has a tower full of battle-constructs somewhere. My apologies for the mistake.

Here's the link to to the comment on GitP Forums. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15428812&postcount=22

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6354 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  21:41:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I just read recently about Netherese constructs. Perhaps in a dragon magazine. I think they were quite makeshift in nature though.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2015 :  22:15:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by unseenmage

I found one of the times I was referred to ancient Toril as the source of Warforged. As a Faerun newbie I did mistake the ancient civilization rferenced though.

Turns out It was Raumathar who had/has a tower full of battle-constructs somewhere. My apologies for the mistake.

Here's the link to to the comment on GitP Forums. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=15428812&postcount=22

Ah. I'll have to refresh my memory of that, when I get home and can grab the book.

My livegolems also original from ancient Raumathar; it's the most obvious source.

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  10:53:53  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just wondering...Wooley, do you classify Jingleshod as a warforged or just some unique form of life?

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2015 :  14:09:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

I was just wondering...Wooley, do you classify Jingleshod as a warforged or just some unique form of life?

As I recall, he was undead, something akin to a death knight.

Ed once told me this, via email, about death knights:

quote:
Yes, there are death knights in the Realms, and they're generally called, yep, death knights, though of course there are local nicknames and variants such as "doomhelms."

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  06:46:17  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, could you please explain in a little more detail what the elfbane golems look like in your mind's eye. Any images you might have for inspiration would be great too. Would the rogue Ripper be scavenging weapons or fighting with claws or what?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 29 Aug 2016 06:53:30
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2016 :  10:18:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Wooly, could you please explain in a little more detail what the elfbane golems look like in your mind's eye. Any images you might have for inspiration would be great too. Would the rogue Ripper be scavenging weapons or fighting with claws or what?

Humanoid bodies, with slightly longer arms. Their faces look elven, but with leering expressions and exaggerated features -- things like longer ears and wider mouths. The idea was specifically to look freaky to elves. Some scro learn the elven language just to insult elves in their own tongue as they attack/kill them; that kind of mindset was present here.

As for their bodies, wooden bodies covered with armor in various shades of green and yellow. No real pattern to the coloration; elven ships did not have a uniform appearance, and the organic nature of their wings meant there was a lot of variation. You may want to Google "elven man-o-war" -- that's exactly the kind of ship that crashed and was later sourced for the armor of the elfbane golems.

As for Ripper, he's all about his claws -- they're always available and a lot scarier for his victims.

I've never statted him up, but I picture him have some ranger/druid abilities like passing without trace and doing the treewalking thing of stepping into one tree and out of another (or just stepping into a tree and waiting to ambush someone that walks by).

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 29 Aug 2016 10:19:28
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2016 :  22:44:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I was off checking an obscure source for a town I've never placed (yet) in an old Dungeon magazine (#126 to be exact), and I came across another adventure about The Clockwork Fortress. Now, the adventure is presented as generic, and "can be located in any remote area in the northern reaches of your campaign world." However, the included map shows it in Greyhawk, up near the Land of Black Ice (Blackmoor). There are several things about this I find interesting, not the least of which is looks like a great adventure to set in the Endless Wastes, somwhere up near the Great Ice Sea.

It introduces something called a Niblewright, which appears to be a pre-Eberron, clockwork version of a Warforged. In fact, the one you meet may be the last of his kind (I did not read through the whole thing). I think this adventure would be ideal to introduce some FR-ish Warforged to The Realms. It has an ancient, ruined city (like RW ruins, not a D&D 'dungeon'), and the nearby fortress where the adventure takes place.

It makes a most excellent Raumathari ruin; even the name - Kolbenborg - sounds like it could have gone in a 'Rus' type region (which the Raumathari were - they are all part of the Raumvari/Gur group).

And here's the kicker - I've tied my ancient Kalmyk (a Gur kingdom) to the Finnish myths, and all of my FR lore is tied to my 'First World' theory/over-cosmology. This is supposed to be a relic of Blackmoor, and I have it where Blackmoorians WERE the human creator Race, back on that 'First World', and bits and pieces of Blackmoor got scattered all over the multiverse when the Prime Material was rent asunder (which is why you find Blackmoor in at least three official settings). I figured the original human culture around the Great Ice Sea (not nearly so icy then) was a remnant of those Blackmoorians, before the dragons and Giants (and perhaps the other Creatori) took their toll on the group and knocked them back to the stoneage.

So it not only shoe-horns in nicely into an FR region that was already known to have 'automatons' and 'mechanical juggernauts' in the distant past (Raumathar just before the fall), but it also blends in with my homebrew lore seamlessly.

And I kind of like the name 'Nimblewrights' for The Realms way better than 'warforged', which just screams Eberron (for obvious reasons). It might be a cool way to introduce a Warforged character or three into your campaign. There also several types of 'lesser' automatons mentioned, including less-advanced (humanish) servitors, like our typical D&D clockwork golems and 'brass men'.

And now back to my research... My Preciousssssss...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Nov 2016 22:48:44
Go to Top of Page

Starshade
Learned Scribe

Norway
279 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2016 :  20:57:43  Show Profile Send Starshade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw reference to an apprentice of Halaster who was fond of making mechanical creatures. A little googling, I think its a second edition character named "Trobriand" from the ruins of undermountains, the deep levels. He or an apprentice of his could have tried making some humanoids as well.
Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2017 :  03:24:40  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nimblewrights appear in 3.0 Monster Manual 2 page 162.

Hope that helps.

Edited by - unseenmage on 28 Aug 2017 06:24:18
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11711 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2017 :  12:26:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

So I was off checking an obscure source for a town I've never placed (yet) in an old Dungeon magazine (#126 to be exact), and I came across another adventure about The Clockwork Fortress. Now, the adventure is presented as generic, and "can be located in any remote area in the northern reaches of your campaign world." However, the included map shows it in Greyhawk, up near the Land of Black Ice (Blackmoor). There are several things about this I find interesting, not the least of which is looks like a great adventure to set in the Endless Wastes, somwhere up near the Great Ice Sea.

It introduces something called a Niblewright, which appears to be a pre-Eberron, clockwork version of a Warforged. In fact, the one you meet may be the last of his kind (I did not read through the whole thing). I think this adventure would be ideal to introduce some FR-ish Warforged to The Realms. It has an ancient, ruined city (like RW ruins, not a D&D 'dungeon'), and the nearby fortress where the adventure takes place.

It makes a most excellent Raumathari ruin; even the name - Kolbenborg - sounds like it could have gone in a 'Rus' type region (which the Raumathari were - they are all part of the Raumvari/Gur group).

And here's the kicker - I've tied my ancient Kalmyk (a Gur kingdom) to the Finnish myths, and all of my FR lore is tied to my 'First World' theory/over-cosmology. This is supposed to be a relic of Blackmoor, and I have it where Blackmoorians WERE the human creator Race, back on that 'First World', and bits and pieces of Blackmoor got scattered all over the multiverse when the Prime Material was rent asunder (which is why you find Blackmoor in at least three official settings). I figured the original human culture around the Great Ice Sea (not nearly so icy then) was a remnant of those Blackmoorians, before the dragons and Giants (and perhaps the other Creatori) took their toll on the group and knocked them back to the stoneage.

So it not only shoe-horns in nicely into an FR region that was already known to have 'automatons' and 'mechanical juggernauts' in the distant past (Raumathar just before the fall), but it also blends in with my homebrew lore seamlessly.

And I kind of like the name 'Nimblewrights' for The Realms way better than 'warforged', which just screams Eberron (for obvious reasons). It might be a cool way to introduce a Warforged character or three into your campaign. There also several types of 'lesser' automatons mentioned, including less-advanced (humanish) servitors, like our typical D&D clockwork golems and 'brass men'.

And now back to my research... My Preciousssssss...

Hmmm, I like this as well. Noting this for nimblewrights

Like a golem, a nimblewright is a powerful creation that combines awesome magic with elemental forces. Its animating force is a spirit from the Elemental Plane of Water. The process of creating a nimblewright binds the unwilling spirit to the artificial body and subjects it to the will of the creator.

Makes it very much fit with Raumathari magic if its a metal construct animated by a spirit from the elemental plane of water. It could be worth considering what other similar types of alternate nimblewrights they might have using different elementals. For instance, the nimblewrights fight with a nimble rapier wielding fighting style fit a water style.

Helmed Horrors for instance would fit an earth spirit, and they are also known to be free-willed and predate both nimblewrights and warforged, and they are definitely realmsian since they were first introduced here (and we even have some realms adventures in dungeon magazine involving a free-willed helmed horror from back in the 2e era ).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000