Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Living Constructs of the Realms: Wooly's Warforged
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2012 :  10:50:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
I got some feedback from Krash on this one... I'd pinged him since this one deals with his corner of the Realms. I've since tweaked this article just a bit.

The tweaks were very, very minor and Wooly did a great job with them. Really excellent realmslore and now officially part of "my" Raumathar.

-- George Krashos

Thank you, sir! The praise does not come much more highly than that.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2012 :  16:26:18  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brilliant! I really enjoyed the articles, and all the lore sent me off on tangents looking up more about Raumathar, Illithyr and Narfell. Lots of nifty bits in there to spark the imagination. All three construct ideas fit splendidly with the setting and history where you placed them. And their flavor and methods of manufacture just feel really well conceived and intriguing.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  15:55:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking about constructs last night (was watching a show with a real robot in it, and then saw a commercial that reminded me of a scene in I, Robot), and then I remembered Wooly's thread and excellent lore...

The scene I recalled was that one where the trucks show up with all the new robots in them (all stacked neatly... and somehow menacingly), and then the robots jump down from where they are and begin to 'take control of the situation'. Now, I've given my Halruaa a lot of the Eberron (Five Kingdoms) flavor, including the use of many types of golemic creations, which would include military usage (Warforged).

Now, I know the Eberron flavor isn't the same as the FR flavor, but I think its a pretty good fit down in Halruaa (now an island chain in my Misbegotten Realms). I also recall that during the Last war, the Five Nations made use of 'mobil fortresses', and I thought of those trucks from I, Robot... anyone else can picture something like that? A fantasy-fied version for either Eb or some of the old empires Wooly touches upon here in this thread?

I am seeing Raumathari hovering barracks, that arrive on-scene for either domestic disputes (rebellions) or warfare (in which case there'd be dozens, if not hundreds). Something like how the troops used to arrive in those landing Craft in WWII (now I am picturing the D-Day scene from Saving private Ryan, but with rob.. err... warforged). Now imagine someone stumbling across one of these things, long-buried in the east.. what fun! I can just see it now - they touch something, the lights all come on, and then suddenly they all turn toward the character and say, "Halt! Intruder! Identify yourself!"

That presentation is for your standard FR setting; for my own games, I am considering using those down in Halruaa (after all, the treaty with Thyatis will only last so long...)

Can you just see a Turmish PC (the Will Smith character) being attacked by warforged on a coach, and those things saying, "You are having a carriage accident", and him responding, "Like Nine Hells I am!"

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Sep 2013 15:57:14
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  20:33:13  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... For some reason I thought this was going to involve a bunch of warforged constructed to look like Wooly, a.k.a. The Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen, rampaging across Faerun. (What a terrible thought, armies of warforged Giant Space Hamsters running amok. Oh, the horror! *snerk* Sorry, i just couldn't resist!)

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 31 Oct 2013 06:54:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  20:42:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its kinda like Sasquatch from the old Bionic Man series - tear off his fur, and you see gears and wires underneath.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  01:51:58  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 4e Doppelgangers and Changelings merged so they'd basically share an origin, namely Nadezhda, a Batrachi empire.

Just a note in reference to the first post.

As for Wooly's Warforged, I keep picturing a Warforged shaped like a wooly mammoth with glued on wool. Yes I know I'm wierd.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  06:24:16  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

In 4e Doppelgangers and Changelings merged so they'd basically share an origin, namely Nadezhda, a Batrachi empire.

Just a note in reference to the first post.

As for Wooly's Warforged, I keep picturing a Warforged shaped like a wooly mammoth with glued on wool. Yes I know I'm wierd.

Hey, no weirder than the rest of us. Incidentally, I had another idea for Wooly's Warforged; they could be Borg-esque warforged/giant space hamster hybrid-thingies referred to as the Ham-Borg. *sound of crickets chirping* Okay, that was bad.(There will now be a moment's silence for that joke which died in this thread. Please bury it deep and pray it never raises again, because then we'd have to deal with zombie giant space hamster warforged.)

Erhem, anyways, I like the first concept of Wooly's the best, although I also like the second one (always thought of the scro as some sort of orcish Marine Corps).
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  14:09:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean like the 'Ork Boyz' of Warhammer?

So, to steer this a bit back but use what we have - what would be the purpose for any of these ancient magical empires to create constructs that mimicked living creatures (effigies)? Why cover them with fur at all?

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2013 :  22:26:29  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a couple of theories;

1: Boredom.
2: A bunch of mages decided to construct such things while completely plastered ("But it seemed like a such a good idea at the time...")
3: As a way of instructing students about the behaviors of actual creatures, i.e. the construct looks/acts real but can be 'paused' with a verbal and/or mental command, thus providing an accurate and safe subject for the study of the class. (Of course, with the kind of magic the ancient empires possessed, they could probably just take control of the animals' minds.)
4: As pets (without the messy cleanup) made for extravagantly rich mages/nobles (with the size/complexity of said constructs serving as some form of status symbol, perhaps?)
5: For no reason beyond the concept of, 'I did it because I can.' (As near as I can tell, the empires of old destroyed themselves or each other because they abused the use of magic, which the 'Because I can' mentality of this theory fits quite nicely.)

As to why cover them in fur? Hmm... bad sense of aesthetics, maybe?(sort of like shag carpeting in one's car, or worse yet, in one's living room).

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 09 Sep 2013 22:31:13
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  05:51:12  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

quote:

Awesome work, Wooly. I particularly love the elfbane golems. +5. Dretch has long been my favorite among the Dragons of the North. I would love to see one of our more artistic scribes draw one of these. For that matter I'd like to see Dretch done in all his full-color glory. Definitely a solid basis for a fun series of adventures. With your consent I will shamelessly add these to my files and pass the ideas off as my own;}

I found the Eidelar interesting as well. I thought you might like to know that the link to the B'omarr is broken. These beings remind me of Agammemnon and the rest of the Titans from Herbert's Dune.

I note that Sage hasn't posted his own version yet.

edit: deleted double post

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  07:21:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've actually made some progress on my own version. Not sure when they'll be ready for posting, though.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  09:55:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Awesome work, Wooly. I particularly love the elfbane golems. +5. Dretch has long been my favorite among the Dragons of the North. I would love to see one of our more artistic scribes draw one of these. For that matter I'd like to see Dretch done in all his full-color glory. Definitely a solid basis for a fun series of adventures. With your consent I will shamelessly add these to my files and pass the ideas off as my own;}

I found the Eidelar interesting as well. I thought you might like to know that the link to the B'omarr is broken. These beings remind me of Agammemnon and the rest of the Titans from Herbert's Dune.

I note that Sage hasn't posted his own version yet.

edit: deleted double post

Thanks for the kind words!

I updated the link to the B'omarr monk article. Looks like they renamed it, for some reason.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2013 :  17:17:03  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Fellfire, Wooly did impressive work on all three articles. I've been working all three into my campaign setting (it's my dad's original world, not FR) so that they are now warforged 'sub-races' (still have to work out who created the eidelar, though).

I would also like to apologize to Wooly for my earlier posts. I posted my comments (which were completely off topic) for the sake of a stupid joke-creation that I thought up upon seeing this topic's title. I'm sorry, Wooly, and hope I am forgiven.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2013 :  03:49:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No worries.

Glad to know you're making use of my warforged.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2013 :  12:26:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny that this thread should be near the top of the pile again. I was considering starting another thread about a similar topic, but I may as well stick it here (if Wooly doesn't mind).

What abut something along the lines of a borg? Some sort of half-golem? (a demi-forged?)

What if the Borg Collective existed in the D&Dverse, and the nanobots used for the 'infection' worked on fiends? What if the Borg started taking over Hell? Would Asmodeus try to seek help amongst the demons, or even Celestials? What if this all began in Mechanus, with some sort of experiment by the Modrons that got out of control?

Just picturing a Borg Tiefling makes me very happy, for some strange reason.

Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  00:20:17  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We already have some cannon half-golems so it would certainly fit in with realms-lore, Mark. :D
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  03:51:06  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know about everyone else, but what I liked most about the Warforged were their appearance - great look to them. What I liked least was that they were a character race.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2013 :  03:56:47  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you'd have to come up with a creative way to keep them under control in a fantasy setting...a Borgish demi-forged would be a great twist on the species. Keeping the species 'in check' would require some kind of highly specialized spell or mythal methinks. The idea may best be left on the planes to keep them from over running the Prime as well.

And I just had a thought...what if it were celestials who initially created them (perhaps by 'manipulating' modrons into doing it) as a means of keeping the lower planes in check? (I love the idea of 'good' going overboard and screwing things up because, as they say, the 'road to Hell is paved with good intentions').

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  01:13:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, what say you to giving the Elfbane golem wings? Them flitting around like dragonflies is intriguing. I'd love your opinion and anything you can contribute to the current Fey'ri scroll. I think I may run with this, do you have time/interest in consult?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  01:53:01  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elfbane golems, Dretch, Dragonslair, the Diamond Staff of Chomylla, Vault of the Dracolich.. so much to work with....

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  04:25:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly, what say you to giving the Elfbane golem wings? Them flitting around like dragonflies is intriguing. I'd love your opinion and anything you can contribute to the current Fey'ri scroll. I think I may run with this, do you have time/interest in consult?

It's not my vision for them, but I don't see any reason why Tolmakh couldn't have further modified one as an experiment... I was mostly going for a straight translation of warforged, but run with what works for you.

Keep in mind, though, that the crystalline plant used for elven spelljammers (and Dretch's lair) is like ceramic. Wings made of that material wouldn't be good for much other than gliding.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Feb 2014 04:27:31
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  23:40:30  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If that is true, how do the gadzooks and other starflies fly?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2014 :  23:58:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If that is true, how do the gadzooks and other starflies fly?

Well, neither one of them flies in a gravity well -- the gadabouts are used in space, for moving from one ship to another, and the starfly plants drift or attach themselves to comets.

It does seem like a gadabout can move its wings, at least a little... Though they aren't given a flight speed. I would say that the gadabout was modified to have that ability, while elven ships were modified to be rigid and strong. And the latter would apply to elfbane golems, since they are crafted, in part, from a downed elven spelljammer.

Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2014 :  23:17:44  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't seen this thread in a while. And all this talk of warforged and spelljammers has reminded me that I really need to get back to work on my dad's/my D&D world. (Due to various RW reasons (including playing in 3-4 different campaigns!), I haven't had as much free time to do this. The fact I'm trying to create twelve different world's for my campaign's Crystalsphere (did I spell that right?) really isn't helping, either. -__-')

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 28 Feb 2014 23:18:33
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  10:32:58  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, I'm sure this isn't the correct place for this, but it is related, and here I am certain you will read it and hopefully some of our newest Scribes will view it as well. As our resident Spelljammer loremaster, I thougt you would best poised to answer this question...What type of helm do you think was used to power the Monarch? I found reference to a Crown of Stars Do you think this appropriate? If not, what and why?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 17 Aug 2014 10:38:03
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  12:26:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly, I'm sure this isn't the correct place for this, but it is related, and here I am certain you will read it and hopefully some of our newest Scribes will view it as well. As our resident Spelljammer loremaster, I thougt you would best poised to answer this question...What type of helm do you think was used to power the Monarch? I found reference to a Crown of Stars Do you think this appropriate? If not, what and why?

Going strictly by the lore, it couldn't have been a crown of stars -- the crown of stars works on ships up to 50 tons, and the Monarch Mordent, as a Man-O-War, would have been 60 tons.

That said, if it had been a crown of stars, it would explain why it's been so difficult for Dretch to find.

So you could handwave it and say that maybe the Monarch had been stripped down to be lighter, or it was perhaps some variant similar to a crown of stars...

One does have to wonder exactly why a spelljammer got involved in a groundling war. Perhaps the captain was from Myth Drannor... Or maybe the Monarch was some sort of experimental ship that someone in Myth Drannor had been working on -- which would give a reason for its involvement and possibly explain a unique helm.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  14:21:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The presence of the Spelljammer ship in Myth Drannor is explained in the "Fall of Myth Drannor" sourcebook.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  14:24:22  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the 2e Complete book of Elves it states that there is always at least one ship from the Eleven Imperial Armada (or someting along those lines) on station around/above Evermeet. I assumed the Queen or King (Zaor?) of Evermeet sent the ship to aid in the defense of the city.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  14:25:39  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What, if anything, would a Crown of Stars be capable of planetside?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2014 :  23:17:21  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just to quote the stuff for the Monarch Mordent that George mentions (which I'd never noted)

The Three Greenwing Wars: These three battles were so named for their primary ally, a spelljamming elf man-o-war ship! The Spiders#146; Assault. Responding to a magical plea for help from a grounded ally among Cormanthyr#146;s wizards, the Elven Imperial Fleet of Realmspace sent Captain Oncith Ilbenalu (NPC) to aid the elves with his green crystalline-winged man-o-war battlecraft, the Monarch
Mordent, and his trusted crew of bards, wizards, and crack archers. Dominating the three battles in which it participated, the
Monarch provided air cover and heavy weaponry with its ballistae and catapult that aided the ground troops immeasurably. In
fact, its arrival changed the tide of the war in the northern forest and gave outmatched and outnumbered elves some significant
victories. With the Third Greenwing War, Captain Oncith#146;s pride overcame his sense as he maneuvered too close to the treetops
and the Army of Darkness forces that his helmsman could not maneuver effectively. When Gaulguth the nycaloth flew skyward,
there was little beyond ineffectual missile fire to stop him from using his great axe Heartcleaver to shatter one of the ship#146;s wings
at its base! With the magical shock slaying the helmsman immediately, the Monarch Mordent crashed into the trees and atop
nearly 200 members of the Army of Darkness. Since that lost battle, the photosynthetic wings continued to grow, and large crystalline webworks wrapped around the clearings and the trees in this northern glade now called Monarch#146;s Fall Glade. While most
animals shun the amber-and-emerald crystal webs and walls, many elves used this as a redoubt and shelter both during and
long after the war.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000