Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Holler at your 2ed boy. Cream!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2012 :  09:02:29  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all. I run a game in the core years of 2ed, primarily set in the north, western heartlands and Silver Marches. I have as of currently read the first Salvotore trilogy(streams of silver etc.), the Avatar trilogy, the 1st two Elminster books, and the Elaine Cunningham series about the barbarian and the drow chick(the name escapes me). As you guys are big fans of these authors, I was hoping that you people(What do you mean "YOU PEOPLE?") as big fans of the literature could point me in the right direction. I am not interested in the affairs of the fromunderdark unless there is a tangible effect on the surface( with the exception being the attacks upon Bligdenstone and Mithral Hall. I really use the novels for historical knowledge and flavour of setting with a bit of getting to know NPC's personalities. I am especially interested in the road the Harpells build in the build 1360's and the conflicts involving Hellgate Keep and The Citadel of Many Arrows or whatever its' called in various sources. Thanks in advance as I'm sure I've bitten off more than I can chew. Better have a couple "Old One Eyes" to warm up!

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Sep 2012 09:03:50

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2012 :  06:20:06  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seriously, nothing?

"I'm a busy man! I got places to go, monsters to kill!" attributed to 1st level bard
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2012 :  12:35:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you are asking for FR novel recs then how about: Finder's Stone Trilogy, Harpers, Sembia Series

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2012 :  14:03:15  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Still trying to make sense of the title...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 29 Sep 2012 14:03:32
Go to Top of Page

Captain Grafalcon
Learned Scribe

Brazil
129 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2012 :  22:58:10  Show Profile Send Captain Grafalcon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello vorpalanvil, do you want ideas to run you campaign or suggestion of novels to read? If the second, Entreri3478 gave good options. There are others, like the Cormyr trilogy, Erevis Cale trilogy, the brotherhood of the griffon novels.

"Surely you recognize that armies carrying banners are almost always thieves—until they win."
Jarlaxle, mercenary leader of Bregan D'aerthe.
Go to Top of Page

Yoss
Learned Scribe

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2012 :  09:16:56  Show Profile Send Yoss a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Still trying to make sense of the title...

Oh good, I'm not the only one who doesn't get it.

I dont know what the question is. But west is that way.
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  06:35:10  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Specifically I'm looking for novels set in the north from around 1300-1372. I mine them for local colour, npc's, amd historical info. The title is just an inside joke from my group. Nobody here has seen Chappele's show or heard Wu Tang Clan? And I don't even like hip hop.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2012 :  17:29:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A lot of the action in the first book of the Return of the Archwizards series takes place in The North.

Not sure if thats what you are looking for though - I think those events may have happened a bit after 1372, and they are also very focused around specific characters (which badly skews the way the region appears, including the personalities of several major NPCs).

A few of the Harper novels are set in The North - perhaps someone with more knowledge then I can point them out.

All of the Waterdeep novels take place in The North, but I can only think of one that applies (Ed and Elaine's, which I highly recommend: The City of Splendors, A Waterdeep Novel). Even Blackstaff takes place too far forward in the timeline to be of much use to you (still a great book, and it does take place in the pre-plague/pre-4e world).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Oct 2012 17:31:25
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  03:58:00  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Liriel was the drow chick. Evermeet: Island of Elves by Elaine Cunningham is about the history of the elves, starting with Lolth's downfall from Arvandor (it's awesome because you get things from Corellon's POV), up to...1375, I believe. It is a good read. But it really depends on what you're looking for.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

vorpalanvil
Seeker

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  05:35:27  Show Profile Send vorpalanvil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all. Does anyone know more about those Harper novels. I had forgotten all about that series, and I know that they are all set in 1st and 2ed days?

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2388 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  07:15:48  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hellgate Keep pops up a little here. and there...
quote:
Originally posted by vorpalanvil

Specifically I'm looking for novels set in the north from around 1300-1372.
Let me show you a neat link: Timeline, Books - Forgotten Realms: The Library
quote:

or heard Wu Tang Clan? And I don't even like hip hop.
I'm afraid for those of us not into it, said group is at best "those guys who made soundtracks for Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai", no? Which is kind of cool, but doesn't lead anywhere.
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

A lot of the action in the first book of the Return of the Archwizards series takes place in The North.
The rest involve some grand commotion around Evereska, so not too far away either.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2012 :  10:49:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks all. Does anyone know more about those Harper novels. I had forgotten all about that series, and I know that they are all set in 1st and 2ed days?

Solidly in 2E.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000