Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Holler at your 2ed boy. Cream!

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
vorpalanvil Posted - 25 Sep 2012 : 09:02:29
Hey all. I run a game in the core years of 2ed, primarily set in the north, western heartlands and Silver Marches. I have as of currently read the first Salvotore trilogy(streams of silver etc.), the Avatar trilogy, the 1st two Elminster books, and the Elaine Cunningham series about the barbarian and the drow chick(the name escapes me). As you guys are big fans of these authors, I was hoping that you people(What do you mean "YOU PEOPLE?") as big fans of the literature could point me in the right direction. I am not interested in the affairs of the fromunderdark unless there is a tangible effect on the surface( with the exception being the attacks upon Bligdenstone and Mithral Hall. I really use the novels for historical knowledge and flavour of setting with a bit of getting to know NPC's personalities. I am especially interested in the road the Harpells build in the build 1360's and the conflicts involving Hellgate Keep and The Citadel of Many Arrows or whatever its' called in various sources. Thanks in advance as I'm sure I've bitten off more than I can chew. Better have a couple "Old One Eyes" to warm up!

Mod Edit: Shifted to a more appropriate shelf.
11   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Wooly Rupert Posted - 02 Oct 2012 : 10:49:04
quote:
Originally posted by vorpalanvil

Thanks all. Does anyone know more about those Harper novels. I had forgotten all about that series, and I know that they are all set in 1st and 2ed days?

Solidly in 2E.
TBeholder Posted - 02 Oct 2012 : 07:15:48
Hellgate Keep pops up a little here. and there...
quote:

Specifically I'm looking for novels set in the north from around 1300-1372.
Let me show you a neat link: Timeline, Books - Forgotten Realms: The Library
quote:

or heard Wu Tang Clan? And I don't even like hip hop.
I'm afraid for those of us not into it, said group is at best "those guys who made soundtracks for Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai", no? Which is kind of cool, but doesn't lead anywhere.
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

A lot of the action in the first book of the Return of the Archwizards series takes place in The North.
The rest involve some grand commotion around Evereska, so not too far away either.
vorpalanvil Posted - 02 Oct 2012 : 05:35:27
Thanks all. Does anyone know more about those Harper novels. I had forgotten all about that series, and I know that they are all set in 1st and 2ed days?
CorellonsDevout Posted - 02 Oct 2012 : 03:58:00
Liriel was the drow chick. Evermeet: Island of Elves by Elaine Cunningham is about the history of the elves, starting with Lolth's downfall from Arvandor (it's awesome because you get things from Corellon's POV), up to...1375, I believe. It is a good read. But it really depends on what you're looking for.
Markustay Posted - 01 Oct 2012 : 17:29:44
A lot of the action in the first book of the Return of the Archwizards series takes place in The North.

Not sure if thats what you are looking for though - I think those events may have happened a bit after 1372, and they are also very focused around specific characters (which badly skews the way the region appears, including the personalities of several major NPCs).

A few of the Harper novels are set in The North - perhaps someone with more knowledge then I can point them out.

All of the Waterdeep novels take place in The North, but I can only think of one that applies (Ed and Elaine's, which I highly recommend: The City of Splendors, A Waterdeep Novel). Even Blackstaff takes place too far forward in the timeline to be of much use to you (still a great book, and it does take place in the pre-plague/pre-4e world).
vorpalanvil Posted - 01 Oct 2012 : 06:35:10
Specifically I'm looking for novels set in the north from around 1300-1372. I mine them for local colour, npc's, amd historical info. The title is just an inside joke from my group. Nobody here has seen Chappele's show or heard Wu Tang Clan? And I don't even like hip hop.
Yoss Posted - 30 Sep 2012 : 09:16:56
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Still trying to make sense of the title...

Oh good, I'm not the only one who doesn't get it.

I dont know what the question is. But west is that way.
Captain Grafalcon Posted - 29 Sep 2012 : 22:58:10
Hello vorpalanvil, do you want ideas to run you campaign or suggestion of novels to read? If the second, Entreri3478 gave good options. There are others, like the Cormyr trilogy, Erevis Cale trilogy, the brotherhood of the griffon novels.
Brimstone Posted - 29 Sep 2012 : 14:03:15
Still trying to make sense of the title...
Artemas Entreri Posted - 29 Sep 2012 : 12:35:27
If you are asking for FR novel recs then how about: Finder's Stone Trilogy, Harpers, Sembia Series
vorpalanvil Posted - 29 Sep 2012 : 06:20:06
Seriously, nothing?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000