Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Halruuan Physical Appearance
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Aryalómë
Senior Scribe

USA
666 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  03:13:56  Show Profile Send Aryalómë a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What is the skin tone range, hair colours, eye colours, height and build of Halruaans? I've looked in some sourcebooks, but haven't found much. I'm assuming they exhibit some traits of their Netherese ancestry, but what are these Lapals?

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  07:42:57  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
pale skin

dark hair

my book is away at the moment I get the description later.

and yes you may assume correctly they do have their netherese ancestry aka their pale skin.

the lapals were farmers that were the resident humans that lived where halruua is when the netherese arrived.
they intermingaled with the netherese ans wala the halruuans

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2012 :  14:00:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aryalómë

What is the skin tone range, hair colours, eye colours, height and build of Halruaans? I've looked in some sourcebooks, but haven't found much. I'm assuming they exhibit some traits of their Netherese ancestry, but what are these Lapals?

Its interesting to note that in second edition resources, it states that 90% of the population is netherese and arkaiun mixed, whereas the 3rd edition resource states that they're mostly netherese and lapal. I choose to believe both are correct and that they've adapted to the climate more than anything.

Given the immense heat described below, I'd imagine any paleness that came from the netherese is "mostly" bred out of them. I'd imagine though that they are mostly light tan to dark tan to even what some may call mocha colored. The difference may come in the more wizardly families that rarely see the outside, and thereby might be more pale in coloration. The immense heat may even subtly be what attracts them to studying indoors if they are more pale in coloration.

Given that at least some of the founders of Thay (Velsharoon and the original "red wizards") were from here, perhaps some of the racial bias of that country towards pale individuals comes from some bias that those particular individuals felt against their "lesser" countrymen of Halruaa (not a norm, but those individuals were cast out for going against the norm). The customary shaving off of all hair could also seem to be something that they may have shared with the Mulans, if those red wizards came from a country of such amazing heat.... perhaps a means of finding commonality between those 2 cultures.

"The summers are hot. Magical cooling devices
and spells are coveted and expensive. In the winter
many of the mountain temples receive snow,
while the plains receive rains for about four
months. The temperature ranges from the 100#146;s
in the summer to the 80#146;s in the winter. The
winds blow off the mountains until they meet
over Lake Halruaa, making the lake a tricky place
to sail. The winds help make the life on the land
more bearable. Halruaa is not nearly as humid as
some of the other countries in the Shining South.
Rains are frequent, so the farms around Lake
Maeru and north of Lake Halruaa produce most
of the food the country needs. The Nath, the
basin in the northeast corner of Halruaa, is filled
with herds of wild rothe and auroch, which are
cultivated for food. This area is almost 500 feet
higher than the rest of the country. Here the
temperatures rarely reach 100, and the rains are
not nearly as frequent or severe."

"As with any small country, the social order is
pronounced, although it does not make a huge
difference in a Halruan#146;s daily life. At the bottom
of the social ladder are those who can use little if
any magic, such as a common miner or farmer.
Next are those who defend Halruaa, the soldiers
and the sailors of the military. The higher levels
are all spellcasters."

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page