Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Ownership of real estate in Waterdeep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

xedrick
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  06:36:46  Show Profile Send xedrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello once again, fellow scribes. I'm back, this time looking for information regarding purchasing property in Waterdeep.
My players decided to give the basement levels of Wizard's Run a rain check (during which another adventuring party will surely clean it out and claim it), deciding instead to spend some time in the City of Splendors and consider basing their adventuring guild there.
Basically, what they're looking to do is use their Leadership feats to found an adventuring guild, as outlined in 3.5 DMGII, and out of which future characters and games can be based.

Firstly: Is there any sourcebook which outlines purchasing and/or ownership of real estate in Waterdeep? I've got Volo's guide, also the 3.5 Waterdeep sourcebook (which has next to no information on any of the buildings...so annoying), but I'm missing waterdeep and the north, which Volo's guide points to often.
What sort of process would be involved? I'm assuming that there would be some Citizenry issues, I wouldn't think that they would be able to just waltz through the gate (or teleport, as it were) and buy land, could they?

Secondly: I've read this and that about 'registered' adventuring groups, but never seen anything outlined. How would you other DMs out there handle this? I know that Volo's guide to Cormyr has some information on registering with the crown there, but is there anything like this for the world at large?

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  07:14:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You may find Steven Schend's past words on the "Property Values in Waterdeep" post useful for this.

Enjoy!:-
quote:
Here's a rough guess, and individual DMs can adjust as desired to fit the monetary standards of their own games. The prices immediately below are those for living space, not businesses. Yes, few of the city's current natives could afford to buy new buildings (or even old buildings) had they not been purchased ages ago and kept in the family, only having to worry about taxes. This is one of the main reasons why Waterdeep gets rebuilt exactly as before whenever tragedy strikes--no one is willing to give up the prime real estate except those who can afford to buy better...

Class D Buildings: 1,000 gp per 18' square lot/building site + 750 gp/floor of building built (new) or 500 gp/floor when purchasing a building.

Class C: 2,000 gp per 30' square lot/site + 1,500 gp/floor (new) or 1,000 gp/floor.

Class B: 4,000 gp per 30' square lot/site + 2,400 gp/floor (new) or 2,000 gp/floor.

Class A: 10,000 gp per 50' square lot/site + 7,500 gp/floor (new) or 5,000 gp/floor.

These ratings are also adjusted by any changes or additions made to the Representative Floor Plans in City of Splendors, any expensive materials used, etc. For these, add trade charges for the labor (see Guild prices on Building and Stone). If the building has a business or trade use, fees come from the respective guilds (about 5% of lot costs + guild membership fees) and the City (an additional 2% based off lot costs), payable at the Palace.

All of these fees come together and are finally adjusted by their placement.

Dock Ward No change to price
South Ward +2% to total price
Trades Ward +5% to total price
Castle Ward +10% to total price if south of the Castle
Castle Ward +20% if north of the Castle
North Ward +25% to total price
Sea Ward +40% to total price

If any side of the building is......

On a main avenue (pavement): +25% to total price after ward adjustment
On a secondary avenue (cobblestones): +10% to total price after ward adjustment
On a lesser avenue (corduroy/logs): +5% to total price after ward adjustment
On a minor avenue (dirt road): No change to price

Yes, this makes real estate in Waterdeep horrendously expensive, but that's life in the biggest city in the North and one of Toril's greatest cities ever.....

Steven Schend
FR Senior Designer

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

xedrick
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  08:26:22  Show Profile Send xedrick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't thank you enough, Sage! This is far more information than I'd ever hoped of getting.
Where is this quoted from?
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  16:18:05  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember that this is "original material" posted by Steven Schend to the old REALMS-L list...
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  16:42:02  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The material may very well come from the 2E 'Cities of Mystery' boxed set. It contained a wealth of information on buildings in the city as well as information on costs.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2012 :  16:46:01  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget to pay your Homeowner's Association fees. Otherwise you might get an unpleasant from some dopplegangers...

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2012 :  03:13:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xedrick

I can't thank you enough, Sage! This is far more information than I'd ever hoped of getting.
Where is this quoted from?

You're welcome.

As for it's origins... it was originally from the REALMS-L, before then being stored on the now web-archived "Yet Another Forgotten Realms Site."

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Aug 2012 03:15:08
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000