Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erin M Evans
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2014 :  20:35:25  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

The sample chapter for FIRE IN THE BLOOD is up on Wizards.com. It includes the "map" for this one: an illustrated family tree of the Obarskyrs. Hope you enjoy

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/fiction/novels/fire-blood

EDIT: Ooh, also, I have the Crownsilver half of that tree in reserve. Apparently, you can't cram that much lineage in a paperback book's spread. I'm going to see if they'll let me post it separately.

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 19 Aug 2014 20:41:14
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1582 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2014 :  01:42:02  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
October can't get here fast enough

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

530 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  16:46:53  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Ms. Evans,

i recently finished The Adversary and found it an enjoyable read even with not much background lore on the characters (i haven't read your previous works but knew the basics from forum and wiki sources). I have some questions regarding the last chapters but, since i don't know how much time has to pass before book endings can be discussed freely, i'll cover it all up in beige, highlight to read. In case some of these get covered in later books, i'm happy to wait to get my hands on those books.

1) The Nameless One knew the Fountains of Memory could open up gates (Farideh told her), she knew Shar wasn't going to save her and her last scene concludes with "Show me Sakkors ...", did she survive?
2) IF (big if) the Nameless One survived, whose divine spark is that recovered by Zahnya in her last scene?
3) Do the events of The Adversary take place before or after the adventure module Dreams of the Red Wizards: Dead in Thay?
4) Zanhya gives Magros the "Scepter of Alzrius", is this the same Alzrius "Lord of Infernal Light" appearing in the AD&D Planescape: Hellbound, the Blood War set? Is this his first appearance in FR, right? And, since the description of the Scepter and the lore on the Planescape Alzrius seem to match and Levistus is set on a clear course of action, are we going to see more Lords of the Nine working to throw off the yoke of Asmodeus in your future novels? Time for another Reckoning?

Many thanks for your past, present and future contributions to the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2015 :  18:14:25  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Demzer

quote:
Originally posted by Demzer

1) The Nameless One knew the Fountains of Memory could open up gates (Farideh told her), she knew Shar wasn't going to save her and her last scene concludes with "Show me Sakkors ...", did she survive?
2) IF (big if) the Nameless One survived, whose divine spark is that recovered by Zahnya in her last scene?
3) Do the events of The Adversary take place before or after the adventure module Dreams of the Red Wizards: Dead in Thay?
4) Zanhya gives Magros the "Scepter of Alzrius", is this the same Alzrius "Lord of Infernal Light" appearing in the AD&D Planescape: Hellbound, the Blood War set? Is this his first appearance in FR, right? And, since the description of the Scepter and the lore on the Planescape Alzrius seem to match and Levistus is set on a clear course of action, are we going to see more Lords of the Nine working to throw off the yoke of Asmodeus in your future novels? Time for another Reckoning?

Many thanks for your past, present and future contributions to the Realms.

I think you're in the clear for spoilers, but I'll beige the font too:

1. This is intentionally vague. I wanted to potentially preserve her for RPG use, but thus far she's not been used, and I suspect she won't be. She won't reappear in Ashes of the Tyrant either. I'd like to think she survives, if only because I like her as an antagonist. But having her die there is kind of poetic. In short, she's alive if someone wants her to be.
2. Not every one of the Chosen in the camp was saved. Some of them held out and died in the explosion. The divine spark is an accumulation of all those who died--not a lot, but something. As above, it might include the Nameless One's.
3. The adventure modules are, to my knowledge, undated and I wasn't involved in their development beyond the summits. But my impression is that Dead in Thay comes after The Adversary
4. That is the same Alzrius. There is definitely some dissatisfaction in the ranks. The scepter's role in the story is not finished. That's probably all I should say.

If you go back and read the first two books, you'll see there's absolutely a direction toward insurrection in Baator. Not outright rebellion, mind. That toes the edge of what I think devils are. But manipulating the situation such that the only natural course of action becomes seizing the throne. Glasya is certainly keen to succeed her father. And with even an inkling of that other archlords--Levistus and Mammon in particular--seem like they'd be planning to counter her, or get the @#%$ out of the Hells, if need be. How that shakes out depends on a few factors, not all of which are in my hands. :)

Hope that helps!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  18:02:41  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize this is a delicate question, Ms. Evans, but how much free reign do you have in restructuring the hierarchy of the Hells? Do you have anyone that you aren't allowed to kill or dethrone?
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  19:22:00  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

I realize this is a delicate question, Ms. Evans, but how much free reign do you have in restructuring the hierarchy of the Hells? Do you have anyone that you aren't allowed to kill or dethrone?

Honestly, I don't really get free rein for this sort of thing. RPG has very tight control these days on what the world looks like, and my story isn't reason enough to shake things up.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2015 :  23:19:40  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So would it be accurate to say they give you a few things that must happen, and you write your story toward making those work?

For example, if they wanted a different devil to rule the Hells in 5e, would they give you that ending and let you choose how to make that happen?
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  17:22:48  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So would it be accurate to say they give you a few things that must happen, and you write your story toward making those work?

For example, if they wanted a different devil to rule the Hells in 5e, would they give you that ending and let you choose how to make that happen?

I'm hesitant to answer this, because it might spoil things about my own books.

In general the process goes two ways these days:
1) I want to make something happen. I lay it out. They come back with:
a) Yes, that's fine
b) No, we already said X in the sourcebooks/we don't like that

2) They have a story arc in mind. They tell me. I respond with:
a) Okay. I'm going to do it like this (return to #1)
b) No. That doesn't work for me. What are my options?

EDIT: And I should point out that something like your hypothetical question would probably look like me saying "Why? What's the purpose? What's the goal? What are you trying to do here so I have something to pull up?" Or, in the case of b, "Do you know that that doesn't align with what's been said? Do you know that X precludes Y? Are you willing to flex on these points?" Versus "No, I won't be a part of that," or something similarly obstinate.

I suspect you are trying to tease out the end-state of the Nine Hells? I think if you really want to do that, the answer is here. Hopefully that doesn't stop you from reading the rest of the series.

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 11 Feb 2015 17:25:26
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2555 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  17:42:35  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, they kind of spoiled the fate of Asmodeus anyway, so...

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  21:14:03  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Irennan

Yeah, they kind of spoiled the fate of Asmodeus anyway, so...

So I hope the process is just as intriguing as the result. (Or that people find other things to be interested in?)

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2555 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2015 :  21:38:56  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as I can see, your stories are more about the characters, with the reshuffling of the powers of the Nine Hells being a background for that. A spoiler on the current state Asmodeus would hardly make them less interesting.

EDIT: If my previous post sounded like ''we already know what happens to Asmodeus, and that makes continuing to read the books less interesting'', that's not what I meant. Sorry if it came off like that.

To all Facebook-using FR fans, you might be interested in checking out this page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/450517575051806/

Edited by - Irennan on 11 Feb 2015 22:01:04
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2015 :  06:40:34  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response, Erin! The process of keeping things consistent between novels and sourcebooks seems interesting (and probably a bit frustrating at times). Like others have said, your characters are compelling and your stories are fun, so I'll keep reading regardless. I'm really curious to see if there's anyway Cormyr allows a tiefling to sit on the throne, and what becomes of Lorcan and Sairche once the Hells come crashing down.

As others have said, the fall of Asmodeus was virtually guaranteed. We all know how massive displeasure with 4e forced WOTC to reverse a lot of its prior changes. From what I recall, the godhood of Asmodeus was widely disliked, so of course it's among the first changes to happen.

What interests me is who will sit on the throne. Even without his godhood, Asmodeus has enough power and cleverness to keep his position. But Glasya and Levistus are just as sneaky as can be, and I'm sure a dark horse is gathering power somewhere. One more hypothetical, if you don't mind. Do you get to choose who sits on the Dragon Throne next? Because I almost think you're setting Brin up for it, but then I kinda think he's going to ride off with Havilar into a life of adventuring.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 17 Feb 2015 :  18:28:00  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the response, Erin! The process of keeping things consistent between novels and sourcebooks seems interesting (and probably a bit frustrating at times). Like others have said, your characters are compelling and your stories are fun, so I'll keep reading regardless. I'm really curious to see if there's anyway Cormyr allows a tiefling to sit on the throne, and what becomes of Lorcan and Sairche once the Hells come crashing down.

As others have said, the fall of Asmodeus was virtually guaranteed. We all know how massive displeasure with 4e forced WOTC to reverse a lot of its prior changes. From what I recall, the godhood of Asmodeus was widely disliked, so of course it's among the first changes to happen.

What interests me is who will sit on the throne. Even without his godhood, Asmodeus has enough power and cleverness to keep his position. But Glasya and Levistus are just as sneaky as can be, and I'm sure a dark horse is gathering power somewhere. One more hypothetical, if you don't mind. Do you get to choose who sits on the Dragon Throne next? Because I almost think you're setting Brin up for it, but then I kinda think he's going to ride off with Havilar into a life of adventuring.

HMMM...it sounds like maybe I *do* have some surprises still.

At the risk of spoiling what could otherwise be unspoiled:I would say [Spoilers] reread what's been said about Asmodeus. It's more ambiguous than it seems and more information is coming.

That said if I could remake the Hells at my leisure, I would actually keep Asmodeus as ruler and as a god. I know others don't like it, but it makes a lot of sense to me and also makes the Blood War more compelling, IMO (which I can ramble on about a lot, but I will hold back until someone actually notes they want to talk about that). But I would get rid of Levistus (preferably in a blaze of usefulness to make it clear why Asmodeus let him live all this time--Levistus is awful and everyone seems to hate him) and make Fierna throw Belial under the bus, but possibly suffer for it, especially if she leaned on Glasya for help. I'd make Glasya come out smelling like roses, but seething and heading down Mephistopheles' path. I think it would be interesting to consider popping Gargauth into Levistus's place, although that would require some story to unveil. Should I ever run a campaign, that might be an interesting high-level story, actually...

But: shared world.

As for the next ruler of Cormyr, if you've read Fire in the Blood, the answer is on the Rissar page before the epilogue. Who comes after that, is indeed up in the air, but my intention and the implication is that the next ruler of Cormyr has a long and storied reign, and the question of a successor won't come up in the canon unless they do another massive timejump.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4709 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  00:31:46  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans
Who comes after that, is indeed up in the air, but my intention and the implication is that the next ruler of Cormyr has a long and storied reign, and the question of a successor won't come up in the canon unless they do another massive timejump.

Bite your tongue!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

530 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2015 :  19:45:34  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
... the Blood War ... (which I can ramble on about a lot, but I will hold back until someone actually notes they want to talk about that) ...

*raises hand*

Please!

And don't worry if it's 0.1% "canon" and 99.9% Erin-M-Evans-Awesomeness, i just care for your opinion as a knowledgeable author. I wrecked the Lower Planes in my campaign and hearing/reading what others (who know what they're talking about) have in mind regarding demons, devils, their planar homes and the Blood War is always useful and fascinating.

So please, go ahead.
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  19:44:22  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
... the Blood War ... (which I can ramble on about a lot, but I will hold back until someone actually notes they want to talk about that) ...

*raises hand*

Please!

And don't worry if it's 0.1% "canon" and 99.9% Erin-M-Evans-Awesomeness, i just care for your opinion as a knowledgeable author. I wrecked the Lower Planes in my campaign and hearing/reading what others (who know what they're talking about) have in mind regarding demons, devils, their planar homes and the Blood War is always useful and fascinating.

So please, go ahead.

I can't shake the feeling I'm walking into a trap!

With the following enormous caveats:
1. This is how I make the Blood War work for me, because I don’t like the Blood War. I don’t get it on the level that makes it compelling. In fact, most of the designer-types I’ve discussed Blood War things with feel that way. It’s compelling in a meta-sense—two kinds of evil that are diametrically opposed is interesting!—and in a mythological sense, but D&D has a tendency to make things very real and explicit in the execution. If you already love the Blood War, this might annoy you.
2. I’m not a scholar of Planescape. I’ve certainly read a lot, but usually for the purposes of writing a book so there’s not a lot of leisurely study so much as “Where is this sentence?!” I’ve also always gotten conflicting answers about how much of Planescape is canonical for the Realms anyway. But there’s a chance there’s an incompatible error in this, and I know that.
3. All of this is predicated on the assumption that the 4E lore changes happened and have reasons. So if that gives you a rage stroke, go read something else. Life is too short, dear readers.

An unending war without a goal or a victory condition is interesting as a backdrop, but when you start to put characters into it, put situations together that focus on it as a war not a sort of cosmic reality, it loses it’s shine. Wars are major resource drains. Why are they doing this still? What are they trying to acheive? And when you look at the versions where there’s a particular battlefield-plane this happens on, why are they doing it there? The reality is that while ideology is used as an excuse for war, there are always resources at play and you tend to fight as near to those resources as you can. Even the Crusades boils down to territorial control. While demons would throw themselves against a devilish army for eternity, but devils are planners, calculators, risk-reward analysts. They’re going to need a reason eventually.

Access to souls is a pretty decent reason, actually. This is a resource both want and want in different ways. They can’t really share safely, and the ideological difference between their methods and uses becomes an easy way to make it ideological, right? Whatever started it, this is a solid potential core, and feeding that competition with hatred is easy. We have to stop them, or we lose what sustains us.

So look at the sides: Demons corrupt to cause chaos, right, which ultimately means destruction, entropy. Break it all down to it's component molecules and move on. Slow or speedy, most demons follow this pattern. Which makes sense--they're predators, devourers. They are the wolves and mortals are the sheep. They’ll tear through a flock and move on to the next (let’s call these fairy tale wolves for the sake of not making biologists twitch).

Devils, on the other hand, work when playing off the status quo. What do you want? What do you yearn for? What has the world kept from you? Who can you exploit and rule over? If society doesn't create things for you to crave, create structures that keep you from grabbing what you want, then none of that can happen. They need dead souls but really they need the living too, where the demons don’t. So if the demons are the wolves, the devils are the shepherds. They want the flock to persist, so they can get their wool and lamb and mutton without too much work.

Which sounds all gentle and nice...but if you’re a sheep, the end of this story is fresh mutton whether the wolves get you or the shepherds do. The devils have the better party line, but if you think about it for a minute it’s not exactly better.

So instead of this:

Demons<---->Devils
PMP

that I think a lot of people depict the Blood War as, it would look more like:

Demons--->Devils | PMP

They become the kind of protectors you don’t really want, but maybe can’t afford to get rid of entirely. They’re the tyranny that’s holding the lunatics with guns running around the wilderness at bay, while squeezing you the people dry.

And that’s why I think it makes sense for Asmodeus to seek out and claim divinity. He needs societies of mortals to corrupt and then claim souls—why not make that pull power too? Power from worshippers, power from the dead. Feed the sort of structures that make it easier to claim souls. That's why it also makes sense for one of his first god acts is to hurl the Abyss away. That's not going to end the Blood War, and I think he'd know that, but it buys him time to build up. (See also, snatching tiefling bloodlines. Graz'zt is going to be pissed.)

But I do think the way his worship’s been depicted doesn’t work great for this. He needs to cast a wider net than “those of you interested in human sacrifice” to get going. Fortunately, that ought to be a devil’s wheelhouse. And so I would depict the wider worship of Asmodeus as being kind of apotropaic. “Save us from the worse things.” Or even something along the lines of “absolve or absorb this transgression I made so the good gods don’t notice.” Or even "Hey man, do what you want. The gods are asking a lot from you and all Asmodeus wants is for you to be happy."

I had an idea once for a Asmodean paladin whose schtick was basically being a bounty hunter for the Nine Hells. People request them and they track down whatever horrible threat or criminal Asmodeus sets them after, sacrifice the puppy kicker and claim his or her soul for the Nine Hells. Much gold and many prayers later, everyone’s happy. Good gods frowning from the heavens aside.

To me, this also makes a clearer distinction between the two. (It makes me crazy how much people conflate devils and demons. Partly because I spent the better part of two years breaking myself of the habit.) And it leaves room for the yugoloths (and now the succubi) of course. (I love the new succubi vision)

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 19 Feb 2015 19:48:10
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
2555 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  20:10:29  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

*raises hand*

Please!

So please, go ahead.

With the following enormous caveats:
1. This is how I make the Blood War work for me, because I don’t like the Blood War. I don’t get it on the level that makes it compelling. In fact, most of the designer-types I’ve discussed Blood War things with feel that way. It’s compelling in a meta-sense—two kinds of evil that are diametrically opposed is interesting!—and in a mythological sense, but D&D has a tendency to make things very real and explicit in the execution. If you already love the Blood War, this might annoy you.
2. I’m not a scholar of Planescape. I’ve certainly read a lot, but usually for the purposes of writing a book so there’s not a lot of leisurely study so much as “Where is this sentence?!” I’ve also always gotten conflicting answers about how much of Planescape is canonical for the Realms anyway. But there’s a chance there’s an incompatible error in this, and I know that.
3. All of this is predicated on the assumption that the 4E lore changes happened and have reasons. So if that gives you a rage stroke, go read something else. Life is too short, dear readers.

An unending war without a goal or a victory condition is interesting as a backdrop, but when you start to put characters into it, put situations together that focus on it as a war not a sort of cosmic reality, it loses it’s shine. Wars are major resource drains. Why are they doing this still? What are they trying to acheive? And when you look at the versions where there’s a particular battlefield-plane this happens on, why are they doing it there? The reality is that while ideology is used as an excuse for war, there are always resources at play and you tend to fight as near to those resources as you can. Even the Crusades boils down to territorial control. While demons would throw themselves against a devilish army for eternity, but devils are planners, calculators, risk-reward analysts. They’re going to need a reason eventually.

Access to souls is a pretty decent reason, actually. This is a resource both want and want in different ways. They can’t really share safely, and the ideological difference between their methods and uses becomes an easy way to make it ideological, right? Whatever started it, this is a solid potential core, and feeding that competition with hatred is easy. We have to stop them, or we lose what sustains us.

So look at the sides: Demons corrupt to cause chaos, right, which ultimately means destruction, entropy. Break it all down to it's component molecules and move on. Slow or speedy, most demons follow this pattern. Which makes sense--they're predators, devourers. They are the wolves and mortals are the sheep. They’ll tear through a flock and move on to the next (let’s call these fairy tale wolves for the sake of not making biologists twitch).

Devils, on the other hand, work when playing off the status quo. What do you want? What do you yearn for? What has the world kept from you? Who can you exploit and rule over? If society doesn't create things for you to crave, create structures that keep you from grabbing what you want, then none of that can happen. They need dead souls but really they need the living too, where the demons don’t. So if the demons are the wolves, the devils are the shepherds. They want the flock to persist, so they can get their wool and lamb and mutton without too much work.

Which sounds all gentle and nice...but if you’re a sheep, the end of this story is fresh mutton whether the wolves get you or the shepherds do. The devils have the better party line, but if you think about it for a minute it’s not exactly better.

So instead of this:

Demons<---->Devils
PMP

that I think a lot of people depict the Blood War as, it would look more like:

Demons--->Devils | PMP

They become the kind of protectors you don’t really want, but maybe can’t afford to get rid of entirely. They’re the tyranny that’s holding the lunatics with guns running around the wilderness at bay, while squeezing you the people dry.

And that’s why I think it makes sense for Asmodeus to seek out and claim divinity. He needs societies of mortals to corrupt and then claim souls—why not make that pull power too? Power from worshippers, power from the dead. Feed the sort of structures that make it easier to claim souls. That's why it also makes sense for one of his first god acts is to hurl the Abyss away. That's not going to end the Blood War, and I think he'd know that, but it buys him time to build up. (See also, snatching tiefling bloodlines. Graz'zt is going to be pissed.)

But I do think the way his worship’s been depicted doesn’t work great for this. He needs to cast a wider net than “those of you interested in human sacrifice” to get going. Fortunately, that ought to be a devil’s wheelhouse. And so I would depict the wider worship of Asmodeus as being kind of apotropaic. “Save us from the worse things.” Or even something along the lines of “absolve or absorb this transgression I made so the good gods don’t notice.” Or even "Hey man, do what you want. The gods are asking a lot from you and all Asmodeus wants is for you to be happy."

I had an idea once for a Asmodean paladin whose schtick was basically being a bounty hunter for the Nine Hells. People request them and they track down whatever horrible threat or criminal Asmodeus sets them after, sacrifice the puppy kicker and claim his or her soul for the Nine Hells. Much gold and many prayers later, everyone’s happy. Good gods frowning from the heavens aside.

To me, this also makes a clearer distinction between the two. (It makes me crazy how much people conflate devils and demons. Partly because I spent the better part of two years breaking myself of the habit.) And it leaves room for the yugoloths (and now the succubi) of course. (I love the new succubi vision)

I like this a lot. Giving plausible, ''constructive'' motivations to evil is what makes it interesting (on the opposite of ''I'm evil, cause I want power and evil is cool and edgy''). Thanks for sharing.

Edited by - Irennan on 19 Feb 2015 20:11:21
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

530 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  21:18:12  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

snip of awesomeness

Oh no, no trap, i would never do that.

I'm happy to have asked though. Your reply was every bit as good as i anticipated. I disagree on some things but i can live with it without causing a fuss, i disagree with some Planescape canon too, no biggie. My intent was to get someone's else vision of things and you gave me exactly what i was looking for so, thanks for that!

Your books and this answer help me greatly in shaping devils in my game and i agree with your take on Asmodean faith (even if in my game there is none, so it's more of a devilish PR thing than a religion).

Oh and if you happen to take your creative work to the First Layer, i would love to get more lore on Zariel, anything you may share would be treasured.

Again, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
4709 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2015 :  22:24:38  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bravo, Erin. That's the first time I've read anything about the dynamic of the Blood war that made me want to feature it in the Realms.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2015 :  04:40:42  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks!

Demzer: Zariel was a surprise to me, but I find her intriguing. Love a badass, evil woman, love a comeback story.

I wanted to add too: I like the idea of the Lords of the Nine using the Blood War as a smokescreen for their own battles. Which leads to [SPOILERS FOR FIRE IN THE BLOOD]

The succubus "incursion" is almost entirely orchestrated by Glasya to steal the Scepter of Alzrius from Levistus before he can use it. Malbolgian succubi who have no intention of leaving for the Abyss can attack alongside Abyssal succubi and who's the wiser? Yes, the Abyss scores a hit, but more importantly Levistus eats it.

And then everyone who hates Levistus piles on. "WE'RE HELPING!" shout the erinyes of Maldomini, as they beat back the demons with as much collateral damage as possible.

I would think that happens more than a little.

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2015 :  22:19:19  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the book club discussion and interview with The Tome Show about Fire in the Blood. Spoilerific, but includes discussions of sex in Cormyr, what dragonborn call themselves, and just who the heck Arjhani is.

http://www.thetomeshow.com/e/fire-in-the-blood-tome-book-club/

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5036 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2015 :  18:10:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sex in Cormyr? I'm in!
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Protean
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2015 :  04:19:39  Show Profile Send Protean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know anything about what roles Bane and/or Cyric play in the Zhentarim nowadays? I'll be running a campaign set around the same time as "Fire in the Blood", but I can't seem to find anything beyond what's already been outdated. Is the Zhentarim mostly full of Banites, Cyricists, or this weird (read volatile) blend of both? I do know that Manshoon is back in control and that they're now mostly working as mercenaries-for-hire, but that's about all I can find for what's current.

Edited by - Protean on 30 Mar 2015 04:20:58
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
286 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2015 :  06:04:57  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Protean

Does anyone know anything about what roles Bane and/or Cyric play in the Zhentarim nowadays? I'll be running a campaign set around the same time as "Fire in the Blood", but I can't seem to find anything beyond what's already been outdated. Is the Zhentarim mostly full of Banites, Cyricists, or this weird (read volatile) blend of both? I do know that Manshoon is back in control and that they're now mostly working as mercenaries-for-hire, but that's about all I can find for what's current.

My impression is that the Banites are ascendant nowadays and the Zhentarim have grown much more organized than where they were around Lesser Evils time frame. I would assume that Cyricist cells still operate--like cockroaches, those guys--probably under the radar.

The book I'm working on currently involves some Zhentarim operating kind of magic component smuggling network, and some others who clear out ruins of monsters to get treasure to fund other endeavors. The heads of these groups don't like each other, but they're working together since someone above them wants this done.

Hope that helps!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Protean
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2015 :  07:06:41  Show Profile Send Protean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that does help! Now it means that I can kind of play up the whole internal strife angle, which hopefully my players will think to exploit in the far future.

Anyway, just to make certain before I commit to anything, the general atmosphere in the Zhentarim is that the two factions are cooperating on the surface to make the leadership happy, but also conspiring against each other whenever the opportunity arises? Is that the general gist of it?

Thanks a lot for your help, Erin!

Edited by - Protean on 30 Mar 2015 07:11:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2017 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000