Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fantasy FR Design Team
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  00:44:24  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been asking questions about the current FR design team in another thread, and it got me to thinking--who would I want to be on the design team? Pick anyone from any industry (film, gaming, literature, etc...) and supply your reasons why. My initial pick:

Joe Quesada, Chief Creative Officer Marvel Entertainment

Joe Quesada would be my ideal add-on to a Forgotten Realms design team. A very creative guy that values the traditional element of the characters and settings that he oversees. He has extensive (and successful) experience working within and over seeing the largest and most successful literary shared world which makes him uniquely qualified to deal with the Forgotten Realms. Moreover he oversaw the critically acclaimed launch of the Ultimate Marvel universe--a parallel, updated, and grittier version of the traditional Marvel universe. Most of all, his shared-world creative experience is story based rather than rules-driven. FR has been retconned and RSE'd to death in order to account for and usher in rules changes in the game which gave it birth. Quesada has no such experience or inclinations, something that I view as highly desirable.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  02:29:46  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My primary criteria would be for the individual to actually know and love the Forgotten Realms.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  02:53:03  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

My primary criteria would be for the individual to actually know and love the Forgotten Realms.

+1
I often wondered if the new guy on the Realms creative Team gets a crate with a 100+ novels, every source book since OGB, and every Dragon & Dungeon magazine.

So to answer the original poster...
If that's the case... Me!
But since that's incredibly selfish...
Just roll out the teams that created the 1st Edition FR Series (Example: TSR 9213 - FR1 - Waterdeep & The North) or others who have been around since then who could do that.

Sidenote: It so cool to post next to Brian R. James. I love this place.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".

Edited by - Thrasymachus on 10 Aug 2012 02:53:59
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  02:59:26  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Assume that the individual whose skills you most admire has recently been abducted by Ed and THO, held in a bunker, and appropriately educated and indoctrinated. Said bunker also has the benefit of a permanent 1E Illusionist Tempus Fugit spell so that time is not an issue.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011

Edited by - WalkerNinja on 10 Aug 2012 03:01:53
Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  03:19:30  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

quote:

Assume that the individual whose skills you most admire has recently been abducted by Ed and THO, held in a bunker, and appropriately educated and indoctrinated. Said bunker also has the benefit of a permanent 1E Illusionist Tempus Fugit spell so that time is not an issue.

Oh, In this scenario can we also assume that Chewbacca is Captain of the Enterprise?

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  05:55:40  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jumping on this before the regular sages.
The bolded words are the only ones that registered in the brain with the post.... What were we talking about again?

More seriously, wasn't Quesada part of the editorial team responsible for Peter Parker selling the memories/reality of his marriage with Mary Jane to Mephisto so the Spiderman comic could return to its lone crime fighter roots?

That's sort of a soft 'retcon', an in-continuity/in-story reset of the status quo. It didn't go over too well with many fans as I recall it.

Not putting down your choice, but I think this highlights the unique and precarious position creative director types are put in when charged with balancing the creative side and the practical/economical side of a long running franchise.

Edited by - Dark Wizard on 10 Aug 2012 05:56:47
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  11:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very much this.

I also wish that knowing and loving a setting was the standard for being put in charge of design for -any- D&D setting.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  12:24:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

quote:

Jumping on this before the regular sages.
The bolded words are the only ones that registered in the brain with the post.... What were we talking about again?

More seriously, wasn't Quesada part of the editorial team responsible for Peter Parker selling the memories/reality of his marriage with Mary Jane to Mephisto so the Spiderman comic could return to its lone crime fighter roots?

That's sort of a soft 'retcon', an in-continuity/in-story reset of the status quo. It didn't go over too well with many fans as I recall it.

Not putting down your choice, but I think this highlights the unique and precarious position creative director types are put in when charged with balancing the creative side and the practical/economical side of a long running franchise.

As one of those fans I agree with you, the Spidey retcon made no sense whtsoever .Maybe the best thing is to find out new and passionate rather than old veterans who might come with their own baggage.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  15:42:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My FR Dream Team is Ed, Steven Schend, Eric Boyd, and Krash. No offense to anyone else; listing those with past FR design experience.

Now, if I could add anyone else, and assuming they knew and loved the Realms... I think it'd be really interesting to see what J. Michael Stracynski would bring to the table.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  15:52:23  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed, Jeff Grubb, and Wooly Rupert.

And as many clones of Ed as we can create.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  16:08:10  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say my dream Realms design team would comprise:- Ed Greenwood, Jeff Grubb, Steven Schend, Eric L. Boyd, and George Krashos.

If I had to choose someone else entirely from another industry, I'd have to suggest Peter David.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 10 Aug 2012 16:09:22
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  16:45:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

Ed, Jeff Grubb, and Wooly Rupert.

And as many clones of Ed as we can create.

Oh, yeah, add Jeff Grubb to my list!

I'm honored to be included on your list, but I don't come close to the creative talents of some of the past and present Realms authors/designers.

My strengths are NPCs, Hooks, and building on other people's ideas -- and of those, the latter is the only one I can exercise on demand. It takes me a while to come up with Hooks and NPCs I like, and I'm afraid that even those don't demonstrate the same creative range that others have displayed.

So while I'd love to be involved in producing official Realms material, I'd need to be one of the contributors, working with a team of creative and talented individuals. I could not be a primary contributor.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  18:31:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd have to say my dream Realms design team would comprise:- Ed Greenwood, Jeff Grubb, Steven Schend, Eric L. Boyd, and George Krashos.
QFT - thats the 'dream team' right there.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

If I had to choose someone else entirely from another industry, I'd have to suggest Peter David.
Since Steve Jobs is dead I suppose I can't choose him, so I have no non-RPG choice. Some folks can turn lemons into lemonade; that man could turn rancid lemons into the nectar of the gods. Amazing how he turned Apple around - we need someone like him in charge of D&D as a whole (I only hope Wyatt is even a shadow of Steve Jobs).

*I suppose since this is 'fantasy' (tying the guy up and forcing him to learn the Realms?), we could dig up poor Steve and make him a Lich.

EDIT:A couple other names/things just came to me. Get Tony DiTerlizzi back to help design a reinvigorated PS/fey/cosmology (along with Shemmy - some really great stuff was done with PF). Also, get a good anime company (the guys who did Airbender or Full Metal?) to do a cartoon. Hasbro has done very well with toy-based cartoons in the past, so this really should have been a no-brainer.

EDIT2: Get some marketing guys who understand the product. Do NOT hire anyone for that who has never played a P&P RPG (you have to KNOW your target audience, and how to reel them in). In other words, you need a savvy grown man with business skills who thinks like thirteen year old. I don't know any names in the Ad-business, but I know the type of person we need there (sub-edit: Gencon will be crawling with the type).

Edit3: Invite Elaine Cunningham to the discussions, even if she has no desire to be part of a 'design team'. No-one knows FR's fey/elves better then her (ED may know them just as well, but not better), and her opinions and suggestions could prove invaluable. She is a brilliant writer, and she DOES HER HOMEWORK.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Aug 2012 18:40:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  03:06:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

EDIT:A couple other names/things just came to me. Get Tony DiTerlizzi back to help design a reinvigorated PS/fey/cosmology ...
Oooo! I applaud this choice. Realms-art defined by DiTerlizzi. That would be something to see.
quote:
Edit3: Invite Elaine Cunningham to the discussions, even if she has no desire to be part of a 'design team'. No-one knows FR's fey/elves better then her (ED may know them just as well, but not better), and her opinions and suggestions could prove invaluable. She is a brilliant writer, and she DOES HER HOMEWORK.
Seconded.

My dream Realms-design would have to include primarily-fiction writers as well as primarily-design staff -- as I like my RPG sourcebooks backed up with in-game fiction. In this interpretation, and provided they would be willing to committ to such work, I'd include Elaine Cunningham, Erik Scott de Bie, Richard Lee Byers, and Thomas Reid. And I'd have nothing against them having input on the RPG-design process either.

Oh, and Tom Costa too. Got to have Costa on-board as well.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  03:37:51  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh. Sage, Ed and Peter David are friends, and have been fellow Guests of Honour at the same local gaming convention (and, long ago in the Milwaukee era, they were both GoHs at the same GenCon, too). I'd echo your desire in this regard.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  04:57:31  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
, lets see who'd be on my FR dream team

Ed, Steven schend, the james brothers, the hooded one, ERic scot de bie, Elminster..... and anyone Ed reccammends....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  05:17:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Heh. Sage, Ed and Peter David are friends, and have been fellow Guests of Honour at the same local gaming convention (and, long ago in the Milwaukee era, they were both GoHs at the same GenCon, too). I'd echo your desire in this regard.
love,
THO

Really? Ed AND Peter in the same room? That's awesome. [I've always secretly wondered about the strange outcomes of having Ed write for Marvel and/or DC and Peter writing for TSR/Wizards on the FORGOTTEN REALMS.]

Hehe.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  13:58:57  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the authors that love the Realms, and that it's still fun for them to design, not like a job.

From other fields, I'd add Mieville for weird world-building elements, but I realize most FR fans have different tastes
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  14:13:03  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I would go with Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grub along with the Cloak and Dagger team Eric L. Boyd, Sean K. Reynolds and Steven Schend.

I also think it would be cool to have Elaine Cunningham involved on all things involving fey/elves. Ed and Elaine's novels IMO are best at capturing the feel of the Realms.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2012 :  15:53:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

I guess I would go with Ed Greenwood and Jeff Grub along with the Cloak and Dagger team Eric L. Boyd, Sean K. Reynolds and Steven Schend.

SKR! How did I forget to add him to my Dream Team?!?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000