Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lightning Rail and Other Public Transports
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  06:20:21  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Upon further consideration, I thought maybe they used trains for their servants and for visitors. Most of their servants only knew basic cantrips and could not shift from place to place; so it'd be pretty useful, specially if they send them near the edge of the their enclaves. And visitors would have a grand tour of their enclaves.
That would be pretty cool.

I think the potential is there. There's a lot that could still be found under the shrinking sands of Anourach. The Netherese would, IMO, be capable of imposing the kind of order necessary to construct and operate a lightening rail too.

Maybe the Cormyreans uncovered "Sundisks of Aumanator", not realizing these were the tools used by the ancestors of the Shadovar to create some sort of rail system?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  06:22:32  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WARNING: Wall of text follows.

My idea for a Sapphire Rail goes something like this:

Cormyr is approached by Akanûl. In Akanûl, the Earthmotes are starting to fall; slowly, for most of them, though some have fallen precipitously, but stabilized at lower altitudes. The genasi of Akanûl theorize that only by binding elemental power to the extant earthmotes can they hope to keep them aloft.

To do this, they need something that has been slowly forged over millennia, from the leftover spells of giants and dragons, all along the lightening-lashed mountains that ring Cormyr: massive cores of sapphires brimming with elemental power absorbed from countless storms, each equal the Crystal Grot that has brought Cormyr such wealth, that exist deep in the heart of the Stormhorns and Thunder Peaks.

As a proof of concept, the Genasi offer to raise up three or four crystal cores they claim exist several tens of miles apart along the edge of the western Stormhorns. Their goal is to show the cores exist, to show the genasi can find them, to show they can be removed without time consuming mining and (most importantly) to show the Cormyreans that, for every crystal core the genasi uncover, they will raise up another for Cormyr, that they might have their own earthmotes on which to construct floating citadels in the sky.

This the genasi mages of Akanûl do, but not without calamity striking. No sooner are the four massive earthmotes raised high up in the sky then their cores erupt with elemental fury: storms coalesce around each massive slab of stone and lightening blasts at them, melting rock until the glowing hot sapphire cores are exposed. This only serves to hasten the storm, until an immense ribbon of raw, elemental lightening runs from the heart of the first earthmote to the last, and a massive, anvil-black wall of storm cloud looms behind them that obscurs the mountains from High Horn down to Valkur’s Roar on the Dragonmere.

The genasi mages sacrifice themselves to break the ribbon and the raw, all-slaying storm behind it. The backlash they invoke slays most of the genasi mages (and not a few Cormyreans) and the ribbon and storm subsides, leaving the earthmotes suspended in the sky, their hearts pierced by a single building sized hole made of pure, polished sapphire that glows with its own inner power and shines with bright purple radiance whenever a storm erupts nearby.

The Wizards of War are the first to discover that any lightning spell of 3rd level or higher cast in the vicinity of one of those hollowed out cores causes the caster and anything he is touching to be sucked through the hollow core like…well, like a redshirt through a hull breach, and sent off through the air, riding a wave of energy to come to a skidding halt in the next hollow core, several miles away. Such travels leave the rider awash in static electricity.

The genasi are convinced the new earthmotes are anchored and will never fall (short of their outright destruction), but Cormyr is hesitant to allow the genasi’s request to try their hand again, just as soon as a new contingent of mages arrives.

In the meantime, a bronze dragon has discovered the earthmotes and has found that when it uses its lightning breath weapon in sight of an earthmote, the nearest core absorbs the energy and all the cores glow with power. For a time after, anything moving at faster than walking speed through a core is sent screamingly fast to the heart of the next core, something the dragon is delighted to experience, over and over and...

Anyway, something like that.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 03 Aug 2012 06:27:55
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  06:35:10  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's really interesting, Jeremy.

[Though I must say I had to read some Akanûl-related articles to understand a few references you've made. I'm not that up-to-date when it comes to Abeir lore.]

Who do you propose should head and oversee the construction of the entire system, trains and stations included?

[Edited spelling]

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Aug 2012 07:00:59
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  06:56:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who do you prose should head and oversee the construction of the entire system, trains and stations included?
Good question. I'd propose Cormyr, but I think the genasi would want to be as involved as possible, perhaps warning the Cormyreans things might not be as stable as the genasi first predicted.

Methinks Cormyr would try to build on top of the earthmotes, with some sort of scaffold-like construction combined with steps carved into the earthmote, to get people down to where they can be "dropped" into the energy field in each mote's core.

There's also that dragon (or dragons) to contend with. Someone will have to deal with them (diplomacy at first, battle possibly later). Maybe convince the dragons to ferry people up to the first earthmote and occasionally power it in exchange for...?

Any dwarves displaced by the raising of the earthmotes (or upset at their creation) might want to have a hand in digging in and building on each earthmote, especially if they didn't know what lay in the heart of the mountains around Cormyr to begin with. Who knows...maybe they feel they have some claim to the cores?

As a DM I'd love to describe to my players what it's like to be high up in the sky, then dropped into the a hollow core as the War Wizard accompanying them fumbles his want of lightening bolt, but manages to say a command word and ZOOM, off they go.

Only when they approach the next earthmote does the war wizard tell them that they haven't figured out how to provide soft landings yet...

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  07:07:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Humans, dwarves, genasi, and dragons...Such mixture...It'll surely test the most brilliant and patient of diplomats. They all must have something to gain in order to give assent to this kind of project. It can't be all coins, I suppose.

If this proves a success, you can expand it to the next nearest realm.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  07:22:14  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, and that’s just one way to do it.

Another idea is to say those first earthmotes shattered, throwing fragments of stone and supercharged sapphires shards all over the place. Many of the sapphires settle in the sky (creating a scintillating brilliance that can be seen for miles whenever the moon is visible and the sky is clear). The non-sapphire fragments of earthmote float too…but have the curious property of behaving like magnetic ore, save that the earthmote bits are attracted to unworked stone of all kinds: those bits flung to the ground attract stone too them and that stone binds to the bits of earthmote.

None of the shards or fragments are necessarily anchored in place.

Anyway, the idea is that the sapphire shards, if powered with elemental electricity, become attracted to the floating bits of earthmote fragments (even if those fragments are buried under much attracted-to-it rock and stone). When a suitably large sapphire shard is powered in this way, it confers its attraction power on any inanimate object it touches (so wagons or carts could be made to fly through the air). When the object or shard touches down on a floating mote, it is grounded out and must be repowered.

In this way the Cormyreans have the pieces they need to build a sky or ground based railroad of sorts, as they learn to play the energies of earthmote fragments and sapphire shards against each other, and learn (or have the genasi assist) in creating elemental lightening or convincing bronze dragons to produce it for them.

I'm off to bed. I'll ponder the golden disks/sun disks idea and hope to have something tomorrow.

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 03 Aug 2012 07:23:06
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  17:05:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

quote:

Corymyr has been wary of Shade ever since their Return from the Plane of Shadow.
I’ll add that my first thought was a simple blessing from Lathander (say in exchange for a boon from Cormyr) that causes any Shadovar who touches a disk to burn and writhe in agony. Likewise the blessing will ride Shadovar magic cast at the disks, with the same effect.

The fact that this is a divine gift would limit the size and scope of the rail, making it fit in Cormyr and keeping it local/interesting to PCs.
In our RW, invading cultures often raided 'holy places' and relics FIRST, simply because the priests were always the richest (just finished watching another program on Ancient Egypt this morning). No matter which two cultures you are talking about, each had their own gods and wouldn't respect the deities of others, so the temples and tombs all got plundered.

However, thats our RW, where the very existence of gods is still very much in doubt. On Toril, I don't think greedy people would be so quick to steal relics of a deity, even one they hated. Faerunians KNOW their gods exist. If you lived in the Realms, would you piss off a god?

So if this train is powered by something belonging to a deity, then yes, I think the power sources (Golden Disks, whatever) would have a much better chance of survival then if they ever would have here on Earth. I'm not saying nobody would mess with them, but only priests of directly conflicting religions would even make the attempt (because they have their own 'protection' in the form of another deity).

Also, in the case of Lathander (or similar god), their priests are known for kindness, mercy, and healing. In a world where temples have replaced hospitals, would you really take that risk of being denied by Lathander's clergy? Who you going to go to when you or someone you love gets sick? Bane? Cyric?

Like I said, you always have stupid (and greedy) people, but their are many other factors that come into play in FR that never did here in our world.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Aug 2012 17:15:08
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  17:16:07  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markus, your post got me thinking about whether priests of Aumanator (whether pre- or post-Spellplague) might receive divine visions inspiring them to come to Cormyr and recover the golden sundisks, so they can rebuild in Cormyr what was destroyed in Netheril.

Wasn't Aumanator a time god too? If yes, you can bet the train service would be always on time (or else)!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  17:56:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

quote:

quote:

Corymyr has been wary of Shade ever since their Return from the Plane of Shadow.
I’ll add that my first thought was a simple blessing from Lathander (say in exchange for a boon from Cormyr) that causes any Shadovar who touches a disk to burn and writhe in agony. Likewise the blessing will ride Shadovar magic cast at the disks, with the same effect.

The fact that this is a divine gift would limit the size and scope of the rail, making it fit in Cormyr and keeping it local/interesting to PCs.
In our RW, invading cultures often raided 'holy places' and relics FIRST, simply because the priests were always the richest (just finished watching another program on Ancient Egypt this morning). No matter which two cultures you are talking about, each had their own gods and wouldn't respect the deities of others, so the temples and tombs all got plundered.

However, thats our RW, where the very existence of gods is still very much in doubt. On Toril, I don't think greedy people would be so quick to steal relics of a deity, even one they hated. Faerunians KNOW their gods exist. If you lived in the Realms, would you piss off a god?

So if this train is powered by something belonging to a deity, then yes, I think the power sources (Golden Disks, whatever) would have a much better chance of survival then if they ever would have here on Earth. I'm not saying nobody would mess with them, but only priests of directly conflicting religions would even make the attempt (because they have their own 'protection' in the form of another deity).

Also, in the case of Lathander (or similar god), their priests are known for kindness, mercy, and healing. In a world where temples have replaced hospitals, would you really take that risk of being denied by Lathander's clergy? Who you going to go to when you or someone you love gets sick? Bane? Cyric?

Like I said, you always have stupid (and greedy) people, but their are many other factors that come into play in FR that never did here in our world.

If you served an opposing deity, then yes, you'd happily do what it took to work against another deity. In Elfshadow, Arilyn was retrieving artifacts sacred to Sune from Darkhold, where'd they'd been taken by Zhent forces after killing the Sunites who previously held them.

Even without directly serving a deity, what deity is going to directly punish someone for what amounts to a minor theft? They'll send manifestations, their priests, and other divine minions long before exercising the power of their portfolio.

Golden disks laying on the ground are not going to stay there long. Even threats of divine retribution will be ignored -- not even temples are safe from thieves, so unattended gold in the middle of nowhere will disappear quickly. Heck, once people find out about the gold disks being deployed, you'll have lurking thieves grabbing the disks as soon as the workmen who laid them are out of sight.

Sure, you could set magical alarms... And then you'd have strike teams being deployed any time a twig brushed a disk or a squirrel scampered upon one.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  18:43:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wasn't Aumanator a time god too?

It's not exactly stated in canon which deity holds the portfolio of time. But once, a priestess of Aumanator, Cera, was able to use some sort of time travel---where her and Aoth's spirits traveled back to the past to 'join' a certain convocation of dragons. [See details in RLB's The Captive Flame.]

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  18:52:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Sure, you could set magical alarms... And then you'd have strike teams being deployed any time a twig brushed a disk or a squirrel scampered upon one.

Wizards are not stupid. Of course they'd have seen such problem. So they'd likely set up the alarm with the condition that the disturbance has to be significant---if the disk is moved even the slightest. And no squirrel nor twig could move a magically bored disk.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  19:06:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wizards are not stupid. Of course they'd have seen such problem. So they'd likely set up the alarm with the condition that the disturbance has to be significant---if the disk is moved even the slightest. And no squirrel nor twig could move a magically bored disk.

You're right, they're not stupid. So they'd likely be smart enough to come up with something that doesn't tempt thieves and wouldn't need elaborate magical protections.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  19:16:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why would they worry so much about thieves when they're CONFIDENT that their spellcraft can protect the railway effectively? It may be elaborate, but most of them love the challenge. For some, it would hardly make them sweat. Given the variety of powerful artifacts Faerunian mages have crafted through the ages, this is so simple in comparison...

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Aug 2012 19:18:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  20:02:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Why would they worry so much about thieves when they're CONFIDENT that their spellcraft can protect the railway effectively? It may be elaborate, but most of them love the challenge. For some, it would hardly make them sweat. Given the variety of powerful artifacts Faerunian mages have crafted through the ages, this is so simple in comparison...

So you're saying that mages, when presented with a far easier and more effective method, will instead deliberately choose something overly complex and more expensive, just because they can? Especially for something that's going to need to be repeated hundreds, if not thousands of times?

I thought you said they weren't stupid...

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  20:23:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

So you're saying that mages, when presented with a far easier and more effective method, will instead deliberately choose something overly complex and more expensive, just because they can? Especially for something that's going to need to be repeated hundreds, if not thousands of times?

Huh? Are you deliberately warping the meaning of my posts?

What's this "far easier and more effective method" you're talking about? I just meant that they wouldn't mind if the method is complex so long as they're certain it's effective. Anything simpler might lessen the effectiveness.

Seriously, though, if you are that averse to the idea of having trains in the Realms, might as well pause a little and ponder if this thread is the right place to share your opinions. There's no limit to creating threads here, so maybe you'd like to consider starting a new one, perhaps aptly titled "Why having trains in the Realms is a stupid idea?"

Edited by - Dennis on 03 Aug 2012 21:27:52
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  20:55:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Huh? Are you deliberately warping the meaning of my posts?

What's this "far easier and more effective method" you're talking about? I just meant that they wouldn't mind if the method is complex so long as they're certain it's effective. Anything simpler might lessen the effectiveness.

What's far easier and more effective? Not using a material that someone is going to want to steal, and not having to waste extra magic trying to prevent that theft. You don't have to protect something that no one wants, so that's less magic. It's more cost-efficient in terms of material, as well.

quote:

Seriously, though, if you are that averse to the idea of having trains in the Realms, might as well pause a little and ponder if this thread is the right place to share your opinions. There's no limit to creating threads here, so maybe you'd like to consider starting a new one, perhaps aptly titled "Why having trains in the Realms is a stupid idea?"

I was addressing the topic of using golden disks. Only that topic. I've already given up trying to argue against having a lightning rail, since you ignored every reason why it's not viable.

I'm the son of a very dedicated railfan. I've ridden behind steam and diesel both, and operated an F7 at the age of 13. I've nothing against trains; I'm even pondering building a small, under-the-tree layout for Christmas this year. I don't even have an issue with the idea of a more conventional train being used in the Realms. I just object to importing Eber-whatsit's lightning rail to a setting where it's not suitable.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  21:04:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Sigh. Must I repeat myself? As I said, "anything simpler might lessen the effectiveness." They might have tested all sorts of metals they could find---tin, pewter, bronze, silver; heck, even common rocks for that matter. But results likely indicate that gold works best.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  21:30:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sigh. Must I repeat myself? As I said, "anything simpler might lessen the effectiveness." They might have tested all sorts of metals they could find---tin, pewter, bronze, silver; heck, even common rocks for that matter. But results likely indicate that gold works best.

You're discussing something that you're making up as you go along. You could just as easily say that results indicate that old pastrami works best.

If you're going to do something, make it plausible. Having a heavily-protected string of golden disks stretching across miles of landscape, and expecting no one to mess with them, is nowhere near as plausible as having a string of disks of a less valuable material stretching across miles of landscape, and expecting no one to mess with them.

And the sheer expense of all that gold is one thing -- durability of gold is another factor.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  21:37:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  21:38:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:

Good point. However, priests of LE deities like Bane and Cyric hardly care for healing from other gods, as their own also have the ability to heal, though not in the conventional/traditional way. Oppositions are always there. But it doesn't mean this idea can't work. Combining divine and arcane magic has a great deal of advantages.

Are there Lathanderite theurges in Corymyr? If there are, the crown might do well to commission them for this project.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  22:34:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for your succint summation of your thoughts on any opinion that contrasts with your own.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  22:35:58  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just object to importing Eber-whatsit's lightning rail to a setting where it's not suitable.
Obviously some of us feel differently.

Can you at least respect that fact and nicely bow out of the discussion instead of trolling it?

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  22:42:48  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

As for why we don't have one? Efficiency - we have portals/gates all over the place, so the need for this was never warranted.

Not only that, but it would require a degree of cooperation between connected nations to set up and maintain this, and there simply is not enough of a need to motivate those nations.

Stress on the MAINTAIN. The number of monsters that would play havoc with this system in the realms if it were along any long distance is amazing.... and for a short distance (i.e. within a kingdom) it would be generally easier to use other methods because you lost the advantages of versatility (i.e. there would be a more limited number of get on/get off points).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  22:44:53  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Wasn't Aumanator a time god too?

It's not exactly stated in canon which deity holds the portfolio of time. But once, a priestess of Aumanator, Cera, was able to use some sort of time travel---where her and Aoth's spirits traveled back to the past to 'join' a certain convocation of dragons. [See details in RLB's The Captive Flame.]
Hrm...OK. It might be plausible Aumanator held some sway over Time.

Slightly off topic, but I wonder if Mystryl had any such power?

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 03 Aug 2012 22:46:02
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  22:48:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

In a way, I suppose, since, if I'm not mistaken, she's the one that put certain restrictions on time-related magic.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  22:52:20  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

As I pointed out above, its route need not be 'international,' but just local. Big realms could benefit from it.

They could benefit from it, but would the expenditure necessary to build and maintain the railroad be worth it? Not much point in spending 1000 gold to get back 137.

In the long run, there'll be a substantial return of investments.

Plus, this would greatly lessen the traffic flow in the streets of big and populated cities.

These are the same arguments used in modern times, and yet railways in modern times tend to fail as well because of the lack of points to get off and on. If there were a specific point that were shipping a LOT between each other, then maybe then it might make sense, but I really can't think of any place in the realms that actually does that much traffic of materials from one specific place to another specific place. I'm not anywhere near an expert on them, but the general feel I get for why they were so successful at the turn of the century was that they were helping tame a very unsettled area of the world which had seen little human involvement (i.e. the number of Indians in the areas were small) and there was just a huge amount of materials being shipped into these areas in an attempt to settle them. There isn't anything like that in the realms, because anywhere that's not crowded with humans is pretty much crowded with monsters who would chow down on the people building the railway.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  22:54:43  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Stress on the MAINTAIN. The number of monsters that would play havoc with this system in the realms if it were along any long distance is amazing....
I don't doubt that, but the danger is no more then what a caravan might experience.

quote:

and for a short distance (i.e. within a kingdom) it would be generally easier to use other methods because you lost the advantages of versatility (i.e. there would be a more limited number of get on/get off points).
I don't agree here.

If you had a line, say, from Suzail to Arabel and it managed to work swiftly and more or less consistently, I think the value would be pretty obvious.

Suppose Cormyr warred with orcs or monsters out of the Stonelands or even Shade to the north: all their foes might discount the rail line until it proved the means of Cormyr's salvation by moving troops and supplies to Arabel to the war effort could be more quickly prosecuted.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  22:59:53  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I love trains, and have added one to the Realms, twice. Once in my 'FR Old West' campaign (set a century ahead in Anchorme), and I had one down in Halruaa (where my players never made it to... but I knew it was there).

In my homebrew (Misbegotten) Realms, I am still undecided on whether to have one in Halruaa. Its an island chain now, and the airships actually make so much more sense.

As for why we don't have one? Efficiency - we have portals/gates all over the place, so the need for this was never warranted.

Now that I think about it, Halruaa (pre-SP)is the one place in the realms that I can honestly say that yeah.... I could see it happening (well, it and Lantan). They would possibly do it just to see it done for the love of magic. They also have sufficient enough commoners who can offer spell energy in some form to continue keeping it powered. Their countryside is relatively tame enough that it would not be bothered overmuch by those who would try abuse/destroy it.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  23:03:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can disagree with the premise (I am personally on the fence), and yet still be helpful.
quote:

quote:

quote:

Not only that, but it would require a degree of cooperation between connected nations to set up and maintain this, and there simply is not enough of a need to motivate those nations.

Stress on the MAINTAIN. The number of monsters that would play havoc with this system in the realms if it were along any long distance is amazing.... and for a short distance (i.e. within a kingdom) it would be generally easier to use other methods because you lost the advantages of versatility (i.e. there would be a more limited number of get on/get off points).
Hmmmmm...

So what you are saying is things like monsters and evil groups, maybe even some dark priesthoods and dragons, etc... might 'mess with civilization' and cause a need for heroes to be called forth?

I'm sorry... isn't that the point?

IMHO, the best thing to 'build' in a fantasy RPG setting is something preposterous that needs constant hand-holding. The reason why I wanted one so bad in my 'FR Old West' campaign was so that I had excuses to constantly send the PCs someplace to help the locals with 'trouble makers'. The Railroad company was going to be THE major sponsor/spring board of the campaign (like how the Pathfinder society is in Golarion).

So, yeah, everyone and his brother would be messin' with it, but doesn't that sound like fun? Its kinda the point of the game.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2012 :  23:03:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I just object to importing Eber-whatsit's lightning rail to a setting where it's not suitable.
Obviously some of us feel differently.

Can you at least respect that fact and nicely bow out of the discussion instead of trolling it?

I bowed out of the discussion of whether or not it was a good idea for the train. Objecting, purely for reasons of plausibility, to the idea of leaving money sitting around unattended is not trolling. Unless you have a wildly different idea of trolling than I do.

Are others that shared my thoughts also going to be accused of trolling?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Aug 2012 23:04:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000