Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 Searching
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  19:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Is there anyway of searching the scrolls and as what I have found instead if the parent scroll, it is not bad in small scrolls but the sages scrolls are usually 50-60+ pages ....

Purple you say?!

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  01:49:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not quite sure what you're asking here, Portella.

Are you querying whether there's a method to search for something specific in a significantly voluminous scroll?

If so, then I'm afraid I must note that Candlekeep presently has no function which allows for such discriminatory searching. It is, however, a function that will be incorporate into Candlekeep 2.

As an alternative, you can freely use Google to define the specific parameters of your search -- simply include the Candlekeep.com Forum address in your search criteria, and you should easily find what you're looking for.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  20:42:31  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For example searching for halaster I get a ton of scrolls with load of pages but I don't know which pages I should look into

Candle keep 2 ?! What is it written on?

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2012 :  20:53:23  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The keep's search genie is rather easily overwhelmed and confused; I suspect Alaundo's binding spells have somewhat impaired its cognitive capacities.

However, the mystical google orb employs much more sophisticated search genies, and they can be invoked rather easily by issuing search imperatives much like this one:

site:forum.candlekeep.com "halaster"

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  02:19:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Portella

Candlekeep 2 will be a new forum architecture designed with updated forum software. It's an attempt to incorporate and streamline a lot of unavailable functions and currently active functions here on the ASP version of Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  03:32:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And you almost always come up with one of Ed's scrolls, and then its like "oh nooooooo..."

Needle, meet haystack.

But yeah, do the Google thing Sage recommended. I only started putting the site criteria into my searches about a year ago, and MAN, how did I ever live without that?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  04:25:35  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Candlekeep 2 will be a new forum architecture designed with updated forum software. It's an attempt to incorporate and streamline a lot of unavailable functions and currently active functions here on the ASP version of Candlekeep.

And if I recall has been in planing only three or more years.

I think that in part of the Sage's to do list *S* Though II clearly requires others as well to bring about.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  05:10:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

And if I recall has been in planing only three or more years.
Actually, I recall discussions about Candlekeep 2 dating back to at least early 2008.
quote:
I think that in part of the Sage's to do list *S* Though II clearly requires others as well to bring about.
I do believe those others are weary, and rightfully so, of being caught in the gravitas of my famed "To-Do" list.

In fact, I've recently been contacted by Harvard physicists... they want to declare my "To-Do" list as a possible candidate for their theories of intermediate stellar mass black holes.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  05:38:08  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

In fact, I've recently been contacted by Harvard physicists... they want to declare my "To-Do" list as a possible candidate for their theories of intermediate stellar mass black holes.

Dark matter and stuff.

They're pretty sure it's real and exists. But it's anyone's guess as to when we'll actually see anything substantial come of it!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  07:49:36  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you all I will use google search, in regards to the site v 2 are you in need of volunteers to work in this? I am a software developer and I would not mind helping if required.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2012 :  08:38:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you all I will use google search, in regards to the site v 2 are you in need of volunteers to work in this? I am a software developer and I would not mind helping if required.

Alaundo's always keen on input from the scribes of Candlekeep, so if you've got any ideas and/or suggestions you'd like to put forth, simply contact him via his email, and he'll handle the rest.

Go to Top of Page

Emma Drake
Learned Scribe

USA
206 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2013 :  17:46:42  Show Profile  Visit Emma Drake's Homepage Send Emma Drake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

But yeah, do the Google thing Sage recommended. I only started putting the site criteria into my searches about a year ago, and MAN, how did I ever live without that?

I just found out about it reading this scroll... No more trolling through 60 pages of a scroll to find the one mention of what I'm looking for... Glorious! Can't believe it didn't occur to me to do that!

"I am always here, all about you. You are never truly alone. I flow wherever life flows, wherever winds blow and water runs and the sun and moon chase each other, for there is magic in all things."

- Mystra (Ed Greenwood, Silverfall)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000