Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 New Maptool Campaign - Taste of Blood
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drkissinger1
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2012 :  02:40:16  Show Profile  Visit drkissinger1's Homepage Send drkissinger1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings, all. My DM instincts have been stirring lately, and I'd like to start a new online Realms campaign using Maptool (a free to use virtual tabletop, for those who don't know).

4E ruleset taking place in the post-Spellplague Realms of 1479. I know, I know. Don't roll your eyes. I am houseruling a few features: tieflings will be the traditional variety (that is, mostly humanoid but with some fiendish features). Dragonborn and Tymanther will exist, but the campaign will largely ignore them if I can help it; I accept the addition of Dragonborn, but I don't particularly like them. The campaign will begin in the Moonsea region, but where it goes on will depend on the party's choices.

Game time will vary, as my work hours are variable. This was the case with my last Maptool campaign, however, and doodle.com made aligning schedules easy. Most likely, count on games in the afternoon or evening hours EST.

If interested, post here or message me. If you use some kind of messaging software, such as AIM, Skype, etc, let me know your contact info so we can get in touch. Thanks, Candlekeep.

drkissinger1
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  04:02:28  Show Profile  Visit drkissinger1's Homepage Send drkissinger1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ouch. Let me never underestimate Candlekeep's distaste for 4E.
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  04:35:31  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I was a little surprised at how quickly the 2E PbP game filled up.

Grognard Power! o7

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  04:49:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by drkissinger1

Ouch. Let me never underestimate Candlekeep's distaste for 4E.

We have plenty of 4E fans, here. I'd not automatically assume a lack of response is due to dislike for 4E; it's more likely that life is getting in the way of those who would comment.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

drkissinger1
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  05:03:09  Show Profile  Visit drkissinger1's Homepage Send drkissinger1 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's encouraging to hear, at least. Thanks for correcting my misapprehension.
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  05:11:06  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, with the 2e game two of five players migrated from an existing game with the DM.

A PbP game is also easier to work into your daily schedule than an agreed upon time each week, even if travel and distance are alleviated by a VTT.

Heck, one of the best online players I know refuses to play PbP and opts only for PBeM. He is uncomfortable checking a forum at work (even during break), but can access his email.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  18:32:07  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dark Wizard

Heck, one of the best online players I know refuses to play PbP and opts only for PBeM. He is uncomfortable checking a forum at work (even during break), but can access his email.

Having almost always access to e-mail is why I have been playing in or running PbeM games. The pace might be a bit slower, but the added benefits of more descriptive dialogue and more role-play make up for it IMO... and it is less invasive to Real Life (though the missus might argue otherwise)

Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2012 :  20:09:57  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, while the 4e rules and setting are what killed my high interest in a maptools Realms game, I think a more significant factor in the lack of responses is the varying game times. It's very hard to commit to something with only a vague idea of the time it will be running, how long the sessions will run, what days it will be running, and even how many times per week/month it is expected to run. From my experience running chat games or chat/maptools games scheduling conflicts are the highest cause of gaming troubles, just above internet issues and firewall problems for my year and a half long foray into chat and maptools gaming.

Good luck with the game going forward though!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000