Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 4e DDI: Scourges of Lolth
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2012 :  18:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I wrote this article, specifically about drow in the Realms, and thought I'd bring it to folks' attention.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/drfe/divinedrow

The conversation in the Community Thread is mostly about mechanical implications of having flavor-based prerequisites for the character themes: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/29224663/Dragon_413_-_Scourges_of_Lolth?pg=1

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2012 :  01:55:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Woot! Lunchtime reading at work.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2012 :  15:07:09  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
More good stuff...
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2012 :  17:40:16  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a chance to read the article and the discussion about prereqs. From the article itself, very well written and I enjoyed the themes greatly. If I ever make another male Drow warrior, I think I have some ideas for the themes presented. Also, from Char_Ops POV, the themse seem to be somewhat well received (despite the rumbles about prereqs).

As for the discussion on Prereq, I can see both sides to the story. For example, the Bladesinger class (NWCS) has no restriction on Race even though it's had an iconicly "Elven" prerequisite. Not even drow could be Bladesingers and I'm sure people here would find the notion horrid. But 4E's design philosophy is to put the requirments on the DM and I think that's a good thing. But when they are implemented into the mechanics, it's harder for the player to break out of that sterotype or try something different because many DMs are going to see that and say "Nuh-uh, ther's a prereq so adhere to it." even if it's just for fluff. OTOH, keeping to a theme with prerequisites sorta infuses the character with more build-in flavor and a LOT of players enjoy that sort of thing. I'm about 50/50 when it comes to prerequisites because I hate Alignments for Paladins but I'd make it a requirement to be an elf, eladrin, or half-elf to be a Bladesinger. And as Erik mentions (several times in the discussion, I might add) he wasn't for prerequisites except for the bare minimal "trained in Religion" which is a great use of the skill and background possibilities IMO so that's a possibiliy to add in there too.

As for using the Character Builder, it's simple to override. To gain one of the "Divine Female Drow" themes, simply start making a Female Drow with a divine class, take the theme, then go back and change the race, sex, and class. You'll get a little house icon by the theme that means "Homebrew" and go from there. It'll still print up on the character sheet and you'll still have access to it mechanically. Easy-Peasy

Edited by - Diffan on 15 Jul 2012 17:43:31
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000