Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Preferences on Electronic format
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  03:07:47  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:

This pole is designed to determine what individuals prefer in regards to which future material could be presented with the development of the fifth edition of D&D. It is in part a project that was begun when fourth edition came out, and has been prompted by Erik’s thread on how the realms could be improved. This pole is one of several that will be posted as a consequence.

From the list of options provided, please select the one that you would like to see in the future regarding the release of game materials related to the Dungeons and Dragons game line. Material would include such features as game mechanical source material, additional rules sources, game related fiction, etc. Your participation in this pole is greatly appreciated.

Options :

(A) I would prefer all printed material to also
exist in a purchasable PDF format, which I can buy along side, or in place of printed material.

(B) I would prefer that all printed material
to have a code in it that would allow me to also access the same material online. Additional new source material related to the book (i.e. modifications, additional information that was left out, etc) to be located here as well. Thus through purchasing the book I would have access to all the information related to
that source, within one section in an electronic format.

(C) I would prefer that printed material not be transferred into an electronic format,
but would like a code that would grant me access to Additional new source material related to the book
(i.e. modifications, additional information that was left out, etc), in an online and electronic format.

(D) I would prefer that all printed material not be transferred into an electronic format and would also prefer that Additional new source material related to the book (i.e. modifications, additional information that was left out, etc), be placed on the Wizards of the Coast website, without a code. This information would be freely and easily accessable to anyone that went to their
website.

(E) I would prefer all printed material to also exist in a purchasable PDF format, which I can buy along side, or in place of printed material. I would also prefer that Additional new source
material related to the book (i.e. modifications, additional information that was left out, etc), be placed on the Wizards of the Coast website, without a code. This information would be freely and easily accessible to anyone that went to their
website.

(F) I don’t like electronic formatting
and do not want Wizards of the Coast to produce anything in that format.

Choices:

(A)
(B)
(C)
(D)
(E)
(F)

(Anonymous Vote)

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  04:33:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"(B) I would prefer that all printed material
to have a code in it that would allow me to also access the same material online. Additional new source material related to the book (i.e. modifications, additional information that was left out, etc) to be located here as well. Thus through purchasing the book I would have access to all the information related to
that source, within one section in an electronic format."

This is my preference. I want the hardcopy, first and foremost. Digital copies are nice, but if I'm paying for the hardcopy, digital copies should either be free or seriously discounted.

I'll add that with my Paizo subscription, every print Paizo product I get from them is accompanied by a free pdf, and they send out emails when those pdfs are updated. That's the way to do it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  06:10:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The second option sounds fine. Though I prefer all books to be printed in hardbound.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  06:32:43  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

The second option sounds fine. Though I prefer all books to be printed in hardbound.

As you've probably noticed all the options have been scewed towards a hardcopy inclusion. the reason for this is that in my survey thus far, one I'm running through a local hobby store, I've found no one that believes that hardcopies should be excluded. I have found a couple that thought that electronic copies shouldn't be used at all, as represented in option 'F'.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  08:03:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

This is my preference. I want the hardcopy, first and foremost. Digital copies are nice, but if I'm paying for the hardcopy, digital copies should either be free or seriously discounted.

I'll add that with my Paizo subscription, every print Paizo product I get from them is accompanied by a free pdf, and they send out emails when those pdfs are updated. That's the way to do it.

I'll echo what friend Wooly said, as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  09:22:49  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(F)

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  10:57:03  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(E) Sounds ideal though its unlikely that WOTC will make so much material freely available.
While I prefer real books to ebooks , I do acknowlegde they have some advantages and that many people nowadays are more comfortable with electronic formats. So it would not make much sense to suggest that WOTC no longer publish ebooks , all i ask is that they also include the option to purchase a printed copy as well.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  12:13:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Make everyone happy. Some prefer ebooks; some want printed only; others want both. So give them the option to choose.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  13:21:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Make everyone happy. Some prefer ebooks; some want printed only; others want both. So give them the option to choose.

That sounds reasonable, as well -- so long as the ebooks aren't selling for the same price (or a comparable price) as hard copies.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  14:36:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That can be a very costly strategy, though, which is kind of the problem Catalyst Game Labs is facing with their PDF and print policies.

Often, most game companies look to the bottom line to make a profit in a hard competitive industry. So it's understandable that they'll likely always go with the most cost-effective distribution strategy -- rather than incur potential losses by producing material for both electronic and print mediums.

Go to Top of Page

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  14:55:56  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

That can be a very costly strategy, though, which is kind of the problem Catalyst Game Labs is facing with their PDF and print policies.

Often, most game companies look to the bottom line to make a profit in a hard competitive industry. So it's understandable that they'll likely always go with the most cost-effective distribution strategy -- rather than incur potential losses by producing material for both electronic and print mediums.

It's my understanding though that Catalist has to funnel all of it's hard copy publications out toan outsider that isn't dedicated in the same manner as WOTC. At least this is something I read online, but I'm not sure if it's true or not. I'm less likely to take online publications that aren't reviewed as fact in the same way as other materials. So, I can't varify this as accurate. Please keep that in mind, if you know otherwise, then please say so. It will help in varification.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  17:34:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Of course, the flipside is that you also have to sell something your customers want. Ebooks are certainly more cost-effective to distribute, but if your readers don't want them, they're not going to buy them.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  17:47:10  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'll echo what friend Wooly said, as well.

Echoing the Master Hamster as well. I will add that I think that RP products (excluding novels, which already do this) need to come up with formats compatible with most 6- to 7-inch eReaders. Full-size PDFs are a pain to navigate on a Kindle or Nook, and I hate reading leisure material on a computer monitor.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 05 Jun 2012 17:50:18
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  17:59:24  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a "B" man myself.

In an industry of gaming books...I like books. However, having updated material and ease of access is also nice.

Since an electronic format has to be used before they can even print the book...they aren't losing any money on the electronic book.

Simply having an access code strip in the book when it is sold (perhaps a VERY LONG CODE that can't quickly be written down by some hooligan bent on e-stealing a book!) or some such. For practicality, it would be best that the code simply not be available until the book is purchased.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  18:34:00  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with A. I'll never use the digital format, so I don't want to pay for it. I want anyone who desires such format to be able to acquire it without having to pay for the paper book.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  18:58:17  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go with B. At the very least, I'd like to see the option to download digital copies of maps, keyed and unkeyed and the like. Digital access to the books would be nice also, because then a person can load them into their IPad or whatever tool they use for such things and carry it with you instead of a pile of books. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  20:42:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That sounds reasonable, as well -- so long as the ebooks aren't selling for the same price (or a comparable price) as hard copies.

Most publications sell e-books and hardbound for nearly the same price, so that readers would not be more inclined to buy just the former. I can't say I agree or disagree to that. But I see where they're coming from. I understand that printed books cost considerably higher than their e-format counterpart...But if someone can buy a copy for, say, a dollar (e-book), then he may be disinclined to buy one that costs twenty times the price.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  20:57:32  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I vote E. I would prefer content to be accessed for free because, looking at 3e rulebooks, I don't own most of them. In the only game I am in currently, I use the DM's rulebooks when I want to peruse spells/items/PrCs/etc. that aren't in the rulebooks that I have. If I needed to check if an errata existed for something from one of the books that I don't have, I'd either have to have him do it for me or I'd have to get the code from him before I do it myself- moderate-to-minor annoyances depending on how WotC actually set-up the system.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  21:10:36  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted B.

I like the idea of a print product being a sort of key with which to access additional product, since I don't think online-only is quite the way to go yet.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  01:36:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Of course, the flipside is that you also have to sell something your customers want. Ebooks are certainly more cost-effective to distribute, but if your readers don't want them, they're not going to buy them.

For the most part, I'd agree.

But at the same time, if a consumer of a particular game company's products wishes to see the future of their hobby continually developed, then it falls to that consumer to make the hard choice about what's more important to him/her -- supporting the game and buying the products in a format that he/she may not like, or enacting a policy whereby he/she refuses to purchase any new products in protest over the format of distribution.

I know it's largely unfair to paint the situation with such broad colours, but it's becoming such a truth, nowadays, with so many companies -- and not just strictly PnP-based game companies -- turning to digital distribution.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  01:47:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sightless

quote:

quote:

It's my understanding though that Catalist has to funnel all of it's hard copy publications out toan outsider that isn't dedicated in the same manner as WOTC. At least this is something I read online, but I'm not sure if it's true or not. I'm less likely to take online publications that aren't reviewed as fact in the same way as other materials. So, I can't varify this as accurate. Please keep that in mind, if you know otherwise, then please say so. It will help in varification.

I've not heard anything about a publishing outsider, but you've got me curious about this, so I'll look further into it.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  02:16:57  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose E. One of the things I loved most were the Realmslore articles by Ed Greenwood that would be posted on the old pre-Gleemax WotC site. Much of that survived up to the end of 3.5E, but is being cut off through link failure and site redesign. Now, we only get to have that kind of thing via DDI... and I refuse to do that.

Updates, errata, and fun tidbits should be free. They whet the appetite for buying big supplements. The current DDI model feels way to much like an exclusive club, with benefits that I actually want coming way too infrequently. I miss browsing the old magazines and then choosing whether or not to buy. Now, the wall is just off-putting.

I also want the option of pdf purchases for everything.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  04:09:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise

One of the things I loved most were the Realmslore articles by Ed Greenwood that would be posted on the old pre-Gleemax WotC site.

Not just the Ed stuff, either... There was a ton of really good material on the WotC site, back in the day.

I miss having regular sourcebooks, Dragon magazine, and that free content to read.

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  04:50:57  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose I hate e formats and dont want wotc to do anyof it.

I however made a choice out of blunder.

I hastily read through it thinking that the op meant ebooks verses non ebooks.

I dont like e novels, I stare at my pc too long as it is. as for dragon and dungeon emags. thats up to them. I wont buy them until there is enough to warrant my money to purchase a month subscription and back download or its soemthing I want enough to warrant it.

online pdf as downloadable books from the rulebooks, I'm iffy on that. I'd rahter have it in my hands( dont own a ereader).

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  15:45:46  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I chose I hate e formats and dont want wotc to do anyof it.

I however made a choice out of blunder.

I hastily read through it thinking that the op meant ebooks verses non ebooks.

I dont like e novels, I stare at my pc too long as it is. as for dragon and dungeon emags. thats up to them. I wont buy them until there is enough to warrant my money to purchase a month subscription and back download or its soemthing I want enough to warrant it.

online pdf as downloadable books from the rulebooks, I'm iffy on that. I'd rahter have it in my hands( dont own a ereader).

I got a Kindle for Christmas, and can tell you that I find eInk eReaders as easy on the eyes as reading a normal dead tree book. I was very skeptical as well, because I too hate reading stuff on back-lit computer screens.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  16:11:10  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted A, but I really want A and B. I want the option to buy just the pdf of some books, but I also would love for WotC to take a page from Paizo and reward the people who buy the hardcover with a pdf copy for those times when lugging around a half dozen hardcovers is impractical.

Edit: also, I should have read more carefully. E looks like the option I really want, if that means we get things like the wonderful 3e era realmslore and other tidbits that was posted on WotC's website again. I think that is a pipe dream, however, after going to DDI I have no hope that WotC will change to a format that sees them releasing things for free, rather than only releasing things to subscribers.

Edited by - idilippy on 06 Jun 2012 16:14:19
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000