Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Fabled treasure troves of the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  02:30:48  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi guys, does anyone know of any resources that list the famous treasure troves of the realms?

I notice that treasure troves seem to be missing from many of the new novels.

You'll have adventuring parties( Ie Brotherhood of the Griffin) defeating these ancient Dragons, yet no mention plundering their treasure troves.

I mean an ancient dragon is bound to have some nasty powerful items, scrolls, and weapons yet these seem characters have ZERO interest in upgrading their equipment?

What gives? Is treasure hunter now too cliche or is there a distinct lack of powerful magic lying around - even in ancient Dragon treasure troves?

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  02:59:16  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one of my favorites from the old grey boxed set: Rumors abound in Suzail (as they have periodically on this subject for the last winter) that someone in the city has a map revealing the location of the lost gem-hoard of the Great Worm Draughthothnor, and is hiring mercenary adventurers to form a party that will undertake an extended expedition to seek its hoard. Draughthothnor was slain by the Five Wizards two hundred and sixty winters ago, and his fabled hoard is said to contain gems now found nowhere else in the Realms.

The 1991 TSR trading cards had a red dragon named Flame in them. The artwork for it is awesome, treasure everywhere even a galleon the dragon capture. Flame has acquired a treasure horde that would make the gods jealous according to his card info. Here's a link to the art of him and his hoard: http://fantasygallery.net/parkinson/art_13_kp-29.html

Another great one that inspires some ideas for undead liches: http://fantasygallery.net/parkinson/art_12_lich2.html

I really love the old school TSR art they used to put out, some of the pieces really speak to a person for adventure ideas and treasures and whatnot. Hope these helped. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  03:04:44  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And if you can get your hands on some of the old Elminster's Everwinking Eye articles from Polyhedron from the 2E days, Ed has tons of really good treasure rumors and hints in them.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  06:02:55  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Drizzt and the Weeping Friars raided Hephaestus the Red's lair in the autumn of 1345 DR, with the friars grabbing several handfuls of loot as they passed through. They used some of the loot to buy Drizzt his first really nice, fur-lined winter cloak, which he would sorely need in his upcoming new home of Icewind Dale (Sojourn).

Icingdeath the White's lair was invaded by Drizzt and Wulfgar in the summer/fall of 1355 DR, at which time Drizzt certainly upgraded his gear. And the barbarian Tribe of the Elk later went in and emptied the place the following winter (The Crystal Shard).

Shimmergloom the Shadow's lair was retaken by the dwarves of Clan Battlehammer, and along with it all of the treasure (Streams of Silver).

Zhengyi the Witch-King, fearing his possible demise, saw to it that many (most?) of his artifacts would be distributed throughout the Bloodstone Lands and later found by unsuspecting souls, only to unleash his particular brand of evil magic after he, himself, was gone. His Castle Perilous did indeed rise again in 1368 DR (Promise of the Witch-King). There has never been a full accounting of all of his dastardly-distributed magical items and mayhem.

When Hephaestus the Red died and was reborn as a dracolich in 1385 DR, he left his lair behind to seek revenge, and was eventually trapped on the Plane of Shadow (The Ghost King). With the silence of the gods during the Spellplague and the destruction of the Spirit Soaring cathedral, goodly folks departed the region for the four winds, so no one knows what became of his treasure.

The rediscovery of Gauntlgrym proper by goodly folks in 1462 DR, also meant the rediscovery of one of the former-greatest treasure troves of all Delzoun history (Gauntlgrym). But due to the tragedy of the loss of King Bruenor Battlehammer and Thibbledorf Pwent there, the fortress has apparently been resealed, so the exact extent of how much of the original treasure that was once there still remains is unknown at this time.

And I would have to imagine that Jarlaxle's Bregan D'aerthe has amassed quite a significant hoard over the centuries, possibly down in the Clawrift, but more likely on some other plane. Imagine stumbling upon those goodies!

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 05 Jun 2012 06:09:30
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  16:50:02  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eilserus

The 1991 TSR trading cards had a red dragon named Flame in them. The artwork for it is awesome, treasure everywhere even a galleon the dragon capture. Flame has acquired a treasure horde that would make the gods jealous according to his card info. Here's a link to the art of him and his hoard: http://fantasygallery.net/parkinson/art_13_kp-29.html

If memory serves, Flame was the principal protoganist in a three Dungeon adventures in its early days. He appeared in the 1st issue, another early one and then a milestone issue (something like #50 or #100 or somesuch). I think the iconic picture with the galleon was the cover of one of the above issues, and also appeared as a divider in one of the old MCs.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  21:25:03  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Netherese ruins were/are seen as of the final resting places of various forbidden magics and pieces of lost lore; treasure troves. Myth Drannor, though an Elven ruin and not a Netherese one, was probably the biggest known treasure trove of forbidden magic and forgotten lore- dangerous, yes, but it's location was well known, and the status of most of it's precious yields up in the air (meaning that any Joe Schmoe could theoretically find something amazing if he chanced across it, and safely lived to tell the tale).

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  21:34:15  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my mind, the archtypical treasure horde belongs to Sharpfangs (at least in 3.5e). Her hoard is detailed in Dragons of Faerun.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2012 :  21:49:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Imagine something like the real world Money Pit, but with magic as an added complication...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  01:32:27  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

In my mind, the archtypical treasure horde belongs to Sharpfangs (at least in 3.5e). Her hoard is detailed in Dragons of Faerun.

Really, any thoroughly detailed dragon's hoard can be used as the basis for a fabled treasure trove.

But I like the idea of using Sharpfangs' hoard. There's something more tempting about looting treasure when you know it's specifically tied to a great personage or power in the Realms.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Snow
Learned Scribe

USA
125 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  17:26:23  Show Profile Send Snow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of Dragon hoards, I'm sure the 3.5 Dragons of Faerun book as well as SKR's early 3.0 F.R. "Wyrms of the North" articles would have a lot of great treasure trove ideas.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/wn
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2012 :  17:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz
What gives? Is treasure hunter now too cliche or is there a distinct lack of powerful magic lying around - even in ancient Dragon treasure troves?
I don't know, other than that there's been a shift from the sword-and-sorcery/D&D/Realms-style adventurer (who may not love accumulating treasure, but delights in winning it!) to high-fantasy-style heroes and their 'dark'/psychologized counterparts. Shame.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000