Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Storytelling and FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sightless
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2012 :  07:23:59  Show Profile Send Sightless a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
To me games systems, like everything else in life, have their advantages and disadvantages. There is a part of me that enjoys the storytelling system. Yes, there are some clear advantages to the D20 system over it, I know, just as there are features of the Storyteller System (SS), which I feel are particularly good and worth utilizing. I and my DM have already adapted some of the combat elements of this system to our Forgotten relms setting. This thread therefore, is for three purposes:

(1), what elements of SS, do people generally feel would work well in a FR campaign?

(2), what elements, have DMs used, and what were the results?

(3) In general does a hybrade of the two seem a plossible idea? (using either 3.5, or 4 edition)

To get this ball a rolling, we’ve taken the block and dodge elements from the combat system, and placed into our game. Indeed, after only a couple of sessions, players thoroughly enjoy this system, even though it means sometimes fights last longer, and an enemy has managed to get away in the process. Very memorable enemies have been made as a result. It has also sparked players to be a bit more descriptive in their actions, instead of the typical I attack him with my sword of greatness.

We choose to live a lie, when we see with, & not through the eye.

Every decision, no matter the evidence, is a leap of faith; if it were not, then it wouldn't be a choice at all.

Kyrel
Learned Scribe

151 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2012 :  17:39:27  Show Profile  Visit Kyrel's Homepage Send Kyrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I personally prefer a levelless SS system over d20 system, so on my part, I still have a dream of once seeing a full SS version of D&D, with a spell system inspired by the freeform magic system from White Wolf's "Mage the Ascension".

As I see it, the only "problem" with an SS system in FR, would be that fights would take longer, meaning that the system isn't as well suited for a classical dungeon crawl or encounter heavy style game, and then the need to make a significant rewrite of the entire core of the system.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000