Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The "Sweetest" Revenge (Spoilers)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  04:06:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Revenge is sweet specially if the wrong done to you is so great that it rips the very fabric of your soul . . . Many FR heroes and villains alike suffer from such kind of wrongs, and take their well-deserved revenge. Of all you're read so far, whose revenge do you consider the "sweetest," and why?

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 13 Oct 2013 16:41:41

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  07:06:28  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, that's a really good question.

I will need some time to think on this one, there are several that I like. I just need to decide which of those I like the most.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  11:02:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only one that really comes to mind for me is Halaster and Priamon Frostrune ("Don't call him that!") Rakesk. I love his reaction, at the end of Blackstaff, when he realizes that Hally is playing with his phylactery.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  14:19:33  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My choice (though not a Realms story) is from the Abercrombie book Best Served Cold, great tale of brutal and bloody revenge for sure!

I'll have to think about it for a Realms story and get back to you.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  18:55:09  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd have to say that sadistic priest of Talos from the Twilight War trilogy (SPOILERS), who had killed the child of that paladin. Drasek took care of him in an appropriate fashion IMO, and I clearly remember how good it felt as a reader. We are not often given characters that I hate so much in the Realms, most villains are at least as interesting then the heroes.

I'm currently reading the Song of Fire and Ice novels, and gods Martin knows how to make despicable characters!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  01:46:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's hardly what I'd call the "sweetest" revenge, but I've always snickered at Manshoon's *Skeletor-like* "I'll get you next time He-Man Elminster" revenge-themed plots.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  02:04:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

I'd have to say that sadistic priest of Talos from the Twilight War trilogy (SPOILERS), who had killed the child of that paladin. Drasek took care of him in an appropriate fashion IMO, and I clearly remember how good it felt as a reader. We are not often given characters that I hate so much in the Realms, most villains are at least as interesting then the heroes.

It's one of mine, too.

The 'sweetest' in FR, for me, is not written yet. But I'm counting on Paul to pen it...Telamont's revenge on Shar and Brennus' revenge on his brother, Rivalen.

Edited by - Dennis on 09 May 2012 08:55:03
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  09:21:23  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I am looking forward is the Starks revenge on the Freys. The North remembers.
And of course pretty much everybody's revenge on the Lannisters.
Never have so few been hated by so many.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2012 :  18:19:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauranil

What I am looking forward is the Starks revenge on the Freys. The North remembers.
And of course pretty much everybody's revenge on the Lannisters.
Never have so few been hated by so many.

A good example, but not one that's Realms-specific.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  08:05:39  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nilus Reynard

Hmmm, that's a really good question.

I will need some time to think on this one, there are several that I like. I just need to decide which of those I like the most.

After giving the idea some thought, I decided what I would like to see.

This would be Moander's return as an active deity in the Realms. It would be even more fitting if he used an avatar that resembled an enslaved Finder Wyvernspur.

I haven't worked out the specifics (I don't know if I have the talent to do so), but there are many others out there that could make something like this work.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  11:23:14  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well for a realms specific example I would say that what I am looking forward most to is what a resurrected Mystra is going to do to that back stabbing Cyric.
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  14:01:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well for a realms specific example I would say that what I am looking forward most to is what a resurrected Mystra is going to do to that back stabbing Cyric.

She will probably just end up getting killed again...and again, and again

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  19:05:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Not this time. I think, or rather hope, that WotC have learned their lesson...

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2012 :  21:27:48  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

quote:

Not this time. I think, or rather hope, that WotC have learned their lesson...

Yeah the realms cant survive another spellplague, plus its getting boring, Cyric hatches plot she tries to foil and whether she succeeds or fails he always squirms out unscathed.
Let him burn for once
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  05:58:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Cyric would most likely occupy the backseat, as the 'spoilers' of 5E seem to scream "Lolth!"

Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2012 :  10:08:38  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah that seems to be the case. Still its not a bad thing, lets see what Lolth has cooked up for her dear husband Corelleon.
Cue maniacal laughter.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2013 :  16:43:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Brenuss on Rivalen. Finally. It's long overdue. His line "Your bitterness is sweet . . . to me" is so priceless.

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2013 :  04:18:45  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Brenuss on Rivalen. Finally. It's long overdue. His line "Your bitterness is sweet . . . to me" is so priceless.

YESS!!!!!!!!!!! That was beautifully executed. Also, I would like to nominate:

1) Dahlia Sindalay dispatching of Herzgo Alegni in brutal fashion.
2) Ghostwalker. The entire novel is about revenge, and the atmosphere it creates is spooky.
3) Quenthel's revenge on Pharaun and Jeggred from WOTSQ.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2013 :  04:58:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh, and he smiled when he said it, all the more sweeter.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2013 :  05:49:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't really like how the fall out came down...but when Cyric was tricked into reading his own book...that was sweet.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000