Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Maps for Pool of Radiance module
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  18:33:14  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well met all! It has been ages since I have traveled the realms. My companions & I dusted off our gear & chose the "Pool of Radiance-Attack on Myth Drannor" module. My question is are there any maps that came with this module? Or do I need to look for elsewhere. Thank all!

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  19:48:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The FRC1: Ruins of Adventure (aka Pool of Radiance) module contains a general map of Phlan and surroundings, although it really just shows how the overall map fits together (based on the PoR CRPG). Each section is given a small (squarish) map near the related text.

A much better map of Phlan is provided in the Atlas of the Realms, although it is based on the PoR novel, which places the pool itself in a very different location.

The subsequent modules (FRC2 and FRC3) are useful additions, though they aren‘t necessary and have little to do with Phlan. Monuments of the Ancients is also very much worth a look, even though it is written for D&D 4E. FRA: Forgotten Realms Adventures and many other Realms sourcebooks provide useful maps and information about the Moonsea region.

I also recommend GAZ10: Orcs of Thar because - even though it is written for a different Thar, located in the Mystara setting - it is a great way to add more oomph to the orcs, goblins, ogres, and other humanoids of the region.

Numerous fan-made maps for this module can be downloaded, and many of them are very good in terms of “accurately“ detailing Phlan.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  20:02:18  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the Orcs of Thar from Mystara too!

In fact, the entire underground area of it is part of my own Thar in the Forgotten Realms. It isn't Deep Underdark, but it fits really nicely I think.

I don't use the actual tribes that are there, but the caverns make Thar a far greater place to adventure now!

As for maps of Phlan, Ayrik has the right of it: some of the fan-made maps are excellent. The Ruins of Adventure module is one of my favorites of all time, if for no other reason than I spent countless hours playing the Pools of Radiance on my friends commodore 64!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  20:57:48  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, the memories!

Good old Phlan has given my group much entertainment over the years - here‘s some old scrolls filled with highlights which might provide useful ideas:

[Url=“http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14510“]I need some volunteers from Candlekeep[/url]
[Url=“http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13563&whichpage=15“]Stupid question time...[/url] (pages 15, 16, 17)
[Url=“http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14514“]Weird questions[/url]

[Note to mods: sorry about broken formatting; my mobile device doesn‘t offer proper quote marks!]

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 12 Oct 2013 21:33:06
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2013 :  22:07:40  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually the Pool of Radiance:Attack on Myth Drannor module doesn't take place in Phlan. It all occurs in Myth Drannor. It only happens to be another Pool of Radiance like in the Ruins of Adventure (and the equivalent Pool of Radiance novel and computer game).

For this one, the computer game equivalent has the PCs who are teleported from Phlan in the prologue to Myth Drannor to destroy a different Pool along with a Dracolich, whereas the PnP book coincides with it by having a completely separate group of heroes (the PCs) teleported from wherever the DM wishes to Myth Drannor where they must destroy the same Dracolich's phylactery.

Anyways no there are no maps that come with the module.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2013 :  03:36:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, oops. Not the FRC1 module at all, probably not even “1E“ AD&D.

My apologies for wrong-topic, haha, I was overenthused by the topic header.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2013 :  13:48:48  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Actually the Pool of Radiance:Attack on Myth Drannor module doesn't take place in Phlan. It all occurs in Myth Drannor. It only happens to be another Pool of Radiance like in the Ruins of Adventure (and the equivalent Pool of Radiance novel and computer game).

For this one, the computer game equivalent has the PCs who are teleported from Phlan in the prologue to Myth Drannor to destroy a different Pool along with a Dracolich, whereas the PnP book coincides with it by having a completely separate group of heroes (the PCs) teleported from wherever the DM wishes to Myth Drannor where they must destroy the same Dracolich's phylactery.

Go to Top of Page

mikie
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2013 :  13:52:47  Show Profile Send mikie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to dig into the maps. Thanks again.
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000