Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 "How did you get started with the realms?" poll
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Captain Louis
Acolyte

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2002 :  01:26:43  Show Profile  Visit Captain Louis's Homepage Send Captain Louis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, like Drummerboy, I got into the Realms originally from Baldur's Gate. My science teacher played it, and I thought it was pretty cool, so I decided that I should get the game, also. I started to learn the basics of the realms, and the more I played, the more I would go out on the web and read up on the realms. I bought a few 3rd edition books, downloaded 2nd edition from the WotC website, and just started read and playing table-top games with my friends. Now, a few years later, I am immersed in the Realms, and I can't get enough of them.

Ow, I cut my lip!
Go to Top of Page

Bragi
Seeker

USA
88 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2002 :  21:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Bragi's Homepage Send Bragi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was first interested in D&D around the age of 10. I had heard about a group of older students playing D&D during lunch at school and I decided that I wanted to play but I didn't know anything about the rules. I tried to figure it out during one of their "sessions" but it was all too complicated for me. So when my birthday came around I took my money and bought a complete set of the 1st ed. brown spined books. For the next several months I read though all of the books several times and finally found some people interested in playing so I started out as a DM and I've been DMing ever since. I was first intersted in the Forgotten Realms after the Moonshae novels came out and I had read though them but I didn't switch over from Greyhawk until the Forgotten Realms advetures hardback came out.

In Pursuit of Better Worlds,
Bragi of Erin
Go to Top of Page

sabre
Acolyte

Turkey
47 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2002 :  08:50:07  Show Profile Send sabre a Private Message  Reply with Quote
an elf ranger running...it is sunset...
elf is proud,defending himself and his clan's honor...
he is runnig in the slyvian shadows...
wielding dual weapons a deadly ancestral long sword and a nasty keen
hand axe...He is charging against a group of blood thirsty lustful orcs...his favored enemies...he couldn't wait his rage ,his fury
he hurles the hand axe,it flies through the air and like a shovel on the earth ,bury itself deep in the head of an orc while remaning three orc and the proud elf joined in a deadly dance of melee...
this is how i start to fr...five years ago an epic game of heroism and drama...now i am playing as a dm mostly but my first game is my dream of fr and frp...

sabre
Go to Top of Page

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  20:10:00  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Around 3-4 years ago I was in a book store and the drawing on the front of the icewind dale trilogy it caught my eye. Not even knowing what it was I bought it. Since then I have been practically obsessed with the forgotten realms and know practically everything about it.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

Rellen Amostirren
Acolyte

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  23:36:16  Show Profile  Visit Rellen Amostirren's Homepage Send Rellen Amostirren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh many years ago, 15 I think, I was introduced to the wonderment of the realms by a book disclosing the tale of a Darkwalker of the Moonshaes. Now it so happens a person I worked with had heard the tale before and knew of many more, and he enlightened me to the way of the realms, and indeed booted my backside from my favourite seat in the tavern, and took me on many wild adventures in the lands of Faerun!

I must add ever since, I've been taking others on adventures too
Well its a big place and Im only a small halfling!!

"Stealing teeth and still leaving folks with a smile!!"
Go to Top of Page

Malice
Seeker

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2003 :  18:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Malice's Homepage Send Malice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just sufing the web one day and chanced upon a website about elves and their origins. There were lots of links and I'm liike, hey thins looks really cool. Then I learned about the books, and by the first chapter of the Dark Elf Triogy, I was hooked.

"Khaless? Ha. Vel'bol zhah nindol 'khaless' dos telanth? d'usstan zhaun ol naut."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  07:05:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have already answered a similar thread with my reply about how I got started with the Realms, and rather than re-post the information here and invoke the dire-wrath of the great Alaundo , I will simply direct you to this scroll.

Enjoy .

May your learning be free and unfettered

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alexis Merlin
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2003 :  11:20:46  Show Profile  Visit Alexis Merlin's Homepage Send Alexis Merlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my case it was through Baldurs Gate I guess - I had spied Realms Products in various RPG catalogues over the years but hadn't actually read any (my group didn't do Fantasy RPGs let alone AD&D...damn them!)

A friend of mine lent me Baldurs Gate back in 2001, but I didnt really have time to get into it, but with the coming of the LoTR films I felt inspired to have a go and have never looked back! I have been doing my best to find out more about the Realms since then...

It is knowledge that influences and equalizes the social condition of man; that gives to all, however different their political position, passions which are in common, and enjoyments which are universal.
(Benjamin Disraeli)
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  00:05:40  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was a freshman in college. One late night I was walking through the upstairs lobby and there was a group of about five or six guys sitting around playing "something" that I had never seen before. I inquired about it, and rather than simply explain it, one of them handed me a book called Darkwalker on Moonshae. When I actually came back the next night even more interested, they had me make up a character and join them. It didn't hit me at the time, but for the next four years, though many people came and went, I was the only female in the group.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  02:25:54  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a pretty original senario. Certainly sounds like a fun way to go through college.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  08:03:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is actually quite interesting how many people actually started in the Realms by reading Darkwalker on Moonshae as it was also my first venture into the Realms back in 1987. Several of my friends also began with the trilogy at about the same time.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  09:08:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The novels never did it for me - in fact, they still don't. It was Ed's Dragon magazine articles and then the Ol' Grey Box. Of course, the 'teaser' FR map that came out in Dragon a bit before the release of the first boxed set had me a little perplexed. Couldn't find Waterdeep anywhere ....

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  09:33:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Ol'Grey box , that was my first FR game product.

I treasure the Ol' Grey Box alot. I sometimes read the Cyclopedia to the Realms and the DM's Sourcebook of the Realms books contained within, comparing how the Realms began, to where they are now. It has been an incredible journey through the imagination.

Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  20:38:33  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This story, like so many others, has me drunk and wandering into a bookstore. No, not realy, it actually begins with my older brother who introduced me to D&D way back in the days of ye 1e. For the most part I was a big Greyhawk fan and though I did play in FR when it came out in '86, I played primarily in Greyhawk, until around 1991-1992. In the next couple of years I would branch out heavily into the other campaign worlds (certain Planescape campaigns I partook in were legendary, but I will not go there). Needless to say when they stopped producing Greyhawk products I shifted heavily into FR, though I look forward to the return of Krynn to the lands of print. It's also worth noting that me conversion to 3e was in some ways an at gun point kind of thing, since the rest of my group wanted to convert and I did not. I caved, and I admit 3e is not as bad as I expected, but...<meanders off into off-topic land>.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmmpie"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2003 :  10:04:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I picked up the Ol'Grey box while I was hunting for Greyhawk products. Like you Edain I had been playing D&D since 1e (some of my favorite products were the Dungeon Master's Guide to Immortals and the Book of Marvelous Magic). FR though just became the setting that I most enjoyed back then, and Greyhawk quickly fell to the wayside. Of course this all changed again when DL and PS became published settings, but that's another topic.

Go to Top of Page

Seismo
Acolyte

New Zealand
28 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  01:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Seismo's Homepage Send Seismo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was the SSL "Gold Box" series...I think it was Hillsfar first...then I noticed a novel in a bookstore that tied in with the same setting - Azure Bonds.

Thinking about it now, I seem to remember getting Forgotten Realms Adventures because I was so stoked to have found a 'hardcover' that had something to do with this world. I think the SSL games gave a bit of a clue as to what the W(N)7s and such meant.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  02:49:44  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How did I get started? Hmm... well, I got introduced into Forgotten Realms through Baldur's Gate 2. I played the game and got interested in the novels, starting with the Icewind Dale trilogy. Eventually, I started moving onto other series and got involved in playing D&D.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  05:01:53  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Dad's gaming habits... I was a lonely lil kid and I liked watching him play old Curse of the Azure bonds. ^^ I picked up the interest there, but didn't start playing until I was 10 (He'd been playing wayyyy earlier). Didn't understand it, really, but I was playing. Heh. Found alot of stuff he never did, too, and by accident. It wasn't until I was 15 that I got involved in collecting materials, and got my horde (2e stuff) from my Adopted dad (I adopted him). I played BG when it came out, as well as BG2, BG: TOB, Icewindale series, and NWN. My experience with... Myth Drannor... the compy game sucked and I refuse to play it (or steal the manual).

I'm currently adding what old PDF files I can grab and new 3e books when able to my collection, in hopes of getting a few friends of mine together for a night for a game. ^^

-Space for rent-
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2005 :  06:01:12  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ditalidas

DM: We are going to play in the Realms.

That's how it happened for me.

However, my Realms exposure was earlier then that. Before I played D&D or even really knew what D&D was, my friend got a game called Slayers for the Panasonic Real 3DO. It was a first generation CDROM Console System. Before the days of Playstation and Sega CD or whatever Sega called it.

I thought it was really cool, but I didn't have 3DO and wasn't interested enough to get one. In the computer store, Babages at the time, I was looking for something as cool as Slayers and found Menzoberrazan, simply because they were both Forgotten Realms games. Played that, loved that.

Still didn't really know what D&D or Realms were though. I had no clue who Drizzt was or anything.

Fast forward a few years, I get involved with D6 Star Wars RPG and eventually D&D. Before I know it, someone is giving me The Crystal Shard and I'm loving it. :)

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 29 Jan 2005 06:05:15
Go to Top of Page

The Whackmiester
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  00:22:21  Show Profile  Visit The Whackmiester's Homepage Send The Whackmiester a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like Drummer Boy here, I got hooked on Forgotten Realms when I first played Baldur's gate during the summer of 2001, then for my birthday (september 13, which wasn't a very happy birthday considering what happened two days earlier.) I got baldur's gate 2. I got Icewind Dale that christmas. In 2003 when my toe-nails were in-grown, my brother bought NWN. I bot both expansion packs as they came out. Which leads us to the present day.

The Whackmiester!
Candlekeep's only scribe that doesn't wear pants!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  01:23:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got started in the Realms by reading some of Ed's fantasy stories (set in the Realms) and then eagerly inviting myself to his gaming sessions - - before the Realms was published anywhere (although very soon after I did that, the first Realms thing [a monster called "The Curst," still around in 3rd Edition] got published in DRAGON (issue 30). Two issues later, it was followed by the Crawling Claw monster, and by then I was deeply hooked by Ed's world.
The rest, as they say tritely, is history.
love to all,
The Hooded One

A postscript to The Sage and George Krashos: somewhere, Ed has hidden away an entire sealed carton of ten unopened Old Gray Boxes. Happy sigh.

Edited by - The Hooded One on 30 Jan 2005 01:26:28
Go to Top of Page

Melfius
Senior Scribe

USA
516 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  03:47:13  Show Profile  Visit Melfius's Homepage Send Melfius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, to be Canadian!

Melfius, Pixie-Priest of Puck - Head Chef, The Faerie Kitchen, Candlekeep Inn
"What's in his pockets, besides me?"
Read a tale of my earlier days! - Happiness Comes in Small Packages
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2005 :  19:46:42  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A friend introduced us fellow gamers to The Realms.There was a group of 6 who got together when we could.Which was often back then.We gamed.First using the core rules,and made up demi-world's that fitted our fancy,and we gamed.Then came along Greyhawk,Dragonlance,and Forgotten Realms.We played them all.We basically settled on The Realms because that was where we had the most fun at.That just made the novels more intriguing.My friend gave me The Avatar Trilogy when I was in the hospital for an extended period of time.I have pretty much read all of the novels put out for The Realms.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

Silvfana
Acolyte

Finland
20 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2005 :  11:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Silvfana's Homepage Send Silvfana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well...

It was a very boring summer day few years ago. So I went to the library to borrow some books to read, and I noticed these books in the lowest shelf. I picked one from the shelf and thought it looked rather interesting (the library here is very small with a tiny budget, so it was a real miracle they had bought those books...) and I decided to take it. I read it right away and went back for more the next day. It was a very funny week, I recall.

Now there's no FR book in there I haven't read. And I'm getting bored again. There's not a bookstore here, and I'm just a poor young person.

And like marked pages in a diary
Everything seemed clean that is unstained
The incoherent talk of ordinary days
Why should we really need to live

Opeth - Ghost of Perdition
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2005 :  01:36:01  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was an avid bookwyrm when I was 13/14 and used to visit the local library alot. I was always interested in fantasy novels, so I used to go pick out books with interesting coverart. That's how I discovered M. Weis (author of dragonalance saga) and later on Salvatore. Been hooked on FR ever since.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!”

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

A Gavel
Seeker

USA
53 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  04:29:44  Show Profile  Visit A Gavel's Homepage Send A Gavel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got started in the Realms as follows:

Back in 1984, at GenCon (at Parkside), I was playing in the AD&D Open. My team got knocked out early on, but in those days you could sit in (on a chair at the back of the room, keeping your mouth firmly shut) with another team that was going on in the tournament, in hopes that if someone dropped out or ran into a scheduling conflict (and almost all of the final rounds of various tournaments ran into each other on Sunday, so if you were successful in two things, you had to pick), you could step in and take their place.
Because Id noticed and liked Ed Greenwoods articles in The Dragon, the one on Gates in particular at that time, and he was after all a Contributing Editor and therefore *almost* a TSR staffer (equaled royalty, in those days) I sat in with his team. No one ever dropped out, but I sat there right through to the end (his team won, and Ed won Best Player and has a weird trophy somewhere that I recall was wrapped in disposable diapers to keep it from getting scratched, when they handed it to him!), and was so impressed with Eds ham acting and strategizing that I decided there and then this was a guy to watch.

Flash forward a few years, to the first (I think) of the Milwaukee GenCons (at MECCA), and a seminar in one of the Octagons about getting your game adventure published by TSR. Ed was in the audience, and at the end he stuck around to talk to Steve Winter, a TSR editor, about procedures and formatting things for submission. (I was standing right behind him, taping everything with my latest toy, one of those fit-your-palm tape recorders.) Steve (who didnt know Ed from the next guy at that point, but knew hed been published in Dragon) asked if he had a campaign world, and Ed told him yes. Steve asked, No, really, do you have ocean currents and trade winds and everything detailed, and all the major cities mapped? It sounded to me like a friendly Lets scare this guy off and remind him just how much work there is, in really doing a setting properly question, and Ed smiled and said, Of course. Not all the cities, mind you, just a dozen or so. But Ive got about twenty towns and forty-some villages detailed down to the last midden-pile, and thats about the ratio to the cities that things should be. Politics and histories, too, of course. Where the food comes from and when the sewers flush to, imports and exports and all of that.
Steve Winters eyebrows went right up, and he asked, Geez, all that work! Why?
And Ed said quietly, Because my players deserve it.

And right there he had me.

I bought every Dragon issue that had his articles in it, and everything else with the Realms logo on it, one after the other, as they came out.
And at one of the LAST Milwaukee GenCons, as part of a charity event that I paid over a hundred dollars for my seat for, I finally got to play in a Realms game run by Ed Greenwood. And it was worth every penny.
He played all the characters (funny voices and all), it had a mystery and intrigue and our characters had to fast-talk and act in the middle of nobles trying to butcher each other (in WAY over our heads because we didnt know what was going on), and it was GREAT. He rolled about six dice in five hours (we went overtime because we begged him to, so he used his supper hour), never looked at his notes after the first ten minutes, and pushed us into more real roleplaying than Id ever done before. Afterwards, some of us went out to a restaurant and just sat and talked through the game again, we were so excited. So THIS is what D&D can be, and so on.

I often read posts here from people who dont like his novels, but the books always satisfy me, because I can see and hear Ed doing the character voices as I read, and it truly seems real. As if Elminster does show up at his house late at night and tell him all about this Faern place, and Ed just turns around and reports it to us.

In real life, whatever that is, Im a judge, and I often have to make difficult choices, sometimes sending people to jail for years. I remember once meeting someone in an airport whod done his time. He came up to me glaring, and started to say, Im sure you dont remember me but I told him sadly that I did, and that took away some of his temper. He stepped back to look me up and down, and saw the Ed Greenwood book I had in my hand to read on the plane. You like him? he asked, and I said that I did, and that Id once got to play in a D&D game with Ed as DM. He got all little-kid excited and ended up sitting with me for an hour talking about the Realms and D&D, and then shook my hand when his plane started to board.
So I figure Ed saved me a punch on the nose and made that guy a little happier.

I have to shake my head when I read posters on Eds thread here who disagree or argue with him about the Realms. Dont they get it? This guy CREATED the Realms, and stuck around to go on creating it for us all. Show him a little respect, please. The world needs more Ed Greenwoods.

Boy, I envy you, The Hooded One. If you read this, PLEASE keep posting Eds comments (and yours, too) here. For me, reading your posts, its my daily moment of having fun and being a kid again.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  05:17:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
'Tis a good tale, friend Gavel. And let me be the first to welcome you to Candlekeep!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Haman
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  21:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Haman's Homepage Send Haman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met all....

For my first "official" post, I figured I'd start here. It's a good topic, and I enjoyed reading how everyone else got started in what has got to be the best detailed gaming world ever.

I started about 12-14 years ago (time is hazy way back then), when our new DM told us he'd be running us in the Realms. He was an avid player, and did such a fantastic job all of us were hooked on the world. The first gaming product I bought was this new, black covered "Code of the Harpers" sourcebook, and I was simply amazed at the detail amd fantastic material. I read it cover to cover, and then spent the following years buying up every Realms product I could get my hand on.

Eventually I started running my own games, and of course 90% of them are set in the Realms. My Realms library has drained much of the green stuff in my wallet over the years, but now I have just about every product they've ever put out. (As a matter of fact, my old 2nd ed. collectin is complete, as I finally just picked up the old Kara Tur Trail Map in mint condition.)

I've had the honor of playing under Ed at the old Knight March con's up near Toronto, and have spent many nights in a pub listening to him ramble on and on. I tell ya, sitting there, beer in hand (the canadians do know how to make it!), there's few things better for a Realms gamer.

I still run a Realms game regularly, and have been blessed with great players who appreciate the world as I do. I am starting to get a bit worried about the new stuff coming out, it's getting more and more "crunchy", but I guess I always have my old books to fall back on.

Thanks for your time, and well met again.

Some people say we gamers have no lives....I think we have too many.
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  02:16:18  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I started in with the original Forgotten Realms boxed set when it first came out. Once I learned the game, I wanted more out of my own game world I was going to place my game within, so I purchased the FR boxed set and have never looked back. It had everything I'd ever wanted out of a game world without having to make it all up myself. And even the parts I didn't like, I could ignore or change. It had plenty of everything, but not too much of one thing. It had room for expansion, and it had the ability to run localized campaigns close to one city or village. It had lots of magic, or as little as you wanted to use.
It came out with the 3 best books EVER created for AD&D imo: the three faith books. How I ever ran deities, faiths, and the religious before that, I don't know. I think I've blocked it out.

The best part about the FR: it still gives me all this today, even though it uses an entirely new D&D system. The lore is where it's at for me, and it always has been. The sheer amount of time saved by not having to come up with all the wonderful ideas, lore, and spice that makes a campaign stand out is greater than I could ever count.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2005 :  12:31:11  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What an appropriate thread to put is my first post.

I started with the Old Grey Box when I was shopping around for ideas for my homebrewed setting. I enjoyed it quite a bit and bought lots of the 1e material. I also read the Moonshae books and Spellfire, which I also enjoyed immensely. I never got around to run a FR game for a number of reasons. Most importantly, I was very much enjoying making my own setting. Second, the FR material felt incomplete. It covered a huge area of which we where only shown small (but delightful) bits.

I missed out on the 2e era as I had discovered girls and beer, and my gaming time was all focused on my own setting. Maztica and the Horde did not seem like my cup of ale, which did not help my enthusiasm for the setting.

Everything changed with Baldur's Gate II. The style, the colors, the action, the romance - everything was perfect. It felt like coming home. Shortly after 3e came along and fixed many things I had grown to dislike about AD&D.
The finishing blow as the new FRCS. The realms finally felt complete, and I started my first FR campaign with characters imported from another world.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000