Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Zinzerena
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  16:42:01  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings noble and learned scholars,

I hope I am asking in the right forum and if not I apologise. Could anyone enlighten me with some information with regard to the drow demi-goddess Zinzerena? At present, I am using this thread on the Wizards of the Coast boards for my information. (It's somewhere near the bottom of the page, I'm using Ctr-f and the text 'Zinzerena'.)

Thank you.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 21 Mar 2005 16:42:53

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  16:58:09  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Zinzerena is not a Realms deity, but a "hero-goddess" of the Greyhawk setting (down near the bottom). A great number of the deities in the thread you've linked have nothing at all to do with the Realms, and I strongly suggest you carefully consider anything in that thread before incorporating it into a Realms campaign.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  17:03:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Zinzerena is not a Realms deity, but a "hero-goddess" of the Greyhawk setting (down near the bottom). A great number of the deities in the thread you've linked have nothing at all to do with the Realms, and I strongly suggest you carefully consider anything in that thread before incorporating it into a Realms campaign.

I beg to differ. Check out Lolth's entry in Demihuman Dieties. She killed her and in FR she is now part of Lolth. And she wasn't a hero-deity, she was a demipower, again see Demihuman Deities.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Mar 2005 17:05:43
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  17:09:27  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31Check out Lolth's entry in Demihuman Dieties.

Thank you.

I will do so when I get home tonight.

I know there are people on these forums with a much larger reference library and a longer association with the realms than myself, so I asked in the hopes of finding more information on anything I couldn't recall or research.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  17:54:59  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
I beg to differ. Check out Lolth's entry in Demihuman Dieties. She killed her and in FR she is now part of Lolth. And she wasn't a hero-deity, she was a demipower, again see Demihuman Deities.
Yes. But she is now a Greyhawk hero-goddess. Recall that 2E FR parlance didn't have "hero-deities"; this ranking is, however, used in the Monster Mythology book where Zinzerena first appears (in that book, she has no AoC or priests), and is her rank on the link I provided (which is a table of Greyhawk deities).

Zinzerena never actually gained a foothold in Faerūn; her aspect in Toril was almost immediately subsumed by Lolth, who permitted the rumors of her existence to spread, at least for a time. The fact remains that Zinzerena was never independently active on Toril, at least not for any appreciable period of time.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  18:10:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal
Yes. But she is now a Greyhawk hero-goddess. Recall that 2E FR parlance didn't have "hero-deities"; this ranking is, however, used in the Monster Mythology book where Zinzerena first appears (in that book, she has no AoC or priests), and is her rank on the link I provided (which is a table of Greyhawk deities).

Zinzerena never actually gained a foothold in Faerūn; her aspect in Toril was almost immediately subsumed by Lolth, who permitted the rumors of her existence to spread, at least for a time. The fact remains that Zinzerena was never independently active on Toril, at least not for any appreciable period of time.

I don't see the point in argueing this. She was a demipower in a different world according to Demihuman Deities. Granted she didn't have much "power" in FR. She's still a FR deity who Lolth killed after the ToT's.

We don't have a date when she arrived in the Realms though, so that's speculation that she didn't have much power. I'l revise this to say that you are right, she was a new demipower according to On Hallowed Ground so it had to be sometime after the ToT when she was raised up. But even On Hallowed Ground said she resided fully on Toril.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 21 Mar 2005 19:18:40
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  18:51:05  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She also made a 'ressurected' appearance as a 3E Greyhawk deity in Dragon a couple years ago.... So as noted, major info for her is Monster Mythology, Demihuman Deities, and that issue of Dragon. She also gets a brief mention in one or two Planescape products -- probably On Hallowed Ground.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2005 :  20:34:55  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Zinzerena as a Greyhawk hero deity is in Dragon 298, pg 87. I'm now looking at page 28 of Demihuman Deities and reading about Lolth assuming her aspect.

My interest in Zinzerena is linked to a game I'm organising which revolves around a dagger called the Dagger of Zinzerena. However, my intention is to treat Zinzerena purely as an aspect of Lloth.

However, I wanted to ask about Zinzerena here in case there was anything I'd over-looked/should be aware of.

Thank you all for your replies. They've all been very helpful.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 21 Mar 2005 20:36:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000