Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Kobold Quarterly:- Blackpowder -- Yay or Nay?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  03:35:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
A great article on the purpose and function of blackpowder/smokepowder in fantasy campaigns has been posted on Kobold Quarterly, authored by Steve Winter.

It's a fascinating read, with some worthwhile ideas on incorporating the concept of blackpowder into FRPGs.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Apr 2012 03:36:54

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  03:54:29  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best line in the article: It’s best to keep a tight rein on the PCs’ inventiveness lest they quickly invent machine guns and cluster bombs.

Not sure if I'd want it in my Realms game though, except perhaps as a we've-not-quite-got-this-right sort of thing that blows up in the faces of the gnomes or dwarves using it.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  04:34:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like the part where Winter describes "Firearms have effects beyond wounding," because it's such a simple point that I've never really considered before.

In most campaigns I've run that incorporate some element of blackpowder/smokepowder weaponry, it's almost always just been about the function of the weapon and the immediate [and obvious] damage it inflicts on the target. But nothing beyond that.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  05:47:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The arcane mysteries of magic vs the machinery of science, eh?
If viewed as a fantasy parallel of the divine power of faith vs the machinery of science in our own history then it becomes more clear how the presence of gunpowder might change the world order.

The article does not seem to consider one easy possibility: the basic formula for gunpowder in a fantasy world need not (and should not!) be the same as the chemical formula on our real world. It could use entirely different substances, it could also require additional chemical reagents such as powdered ruby or adamantite crystals, it might involve alchemical reagents such as sulfurous brimstone mined only on Baator or a drop of pure elemental fire. All of these possibilities do not strictly require magic, a mage, nor an alchemist to produce the gunpowder; it might still be manufactured by anyone once the ingredients and formula are available.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  13:57:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not read the article... But my thoughts are that it depends on the setting.

In the Realms, I'm content with blackpower/smoke powder being rare and dangerous. That's what fits the setting. On the other end of the fantasy spectrum is Immoren, where their version of gun powder is fairly common. And in that setting, having lots and lots of shooty is what fits the setting -- I've said more than once that if I could play in an Iron Kingdoms campaign, my first choice for character class would be the gun mage.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  17:55:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Early Firearms are fine in a fantasy world - just look at the Jack Sparrow (PotC) movies (he gets one shot in the 1st movie, and saves it until the very end, making it count).

Early gunnes were more trouble then they were worth, hard to use effectively (not shooting them so much as loading them, keeping them and the mats dry, etc), and were very LOUD (so go ahead... use them in one of MY dungeons).

The novel Dragonwall demonstrated just how bad black(smoke)-powder tech is in the Realms, and I recommend reading it to anyone thinking about using the stuff. IIRC, more folks were hurt by 'friendly fire' (more like crap blowing up in their faces).

I allow ships in my games to have canon, and accept the canon existence of small-arms, but no player has ever used them, and I have not given any to an NPC (not out of dislike, but I only add elements I think will enhance the story, and thus-far have not found them useful). I always give the players a choice - in the last FR campaign I ran, my sons and their friends voted against them (and all of them are WoW players, and were used to them there).

I do like Dwarves having gunnes, and in my own HB setting one group of dwarves embraces 'tech' (yes, there is train.. I do so love trains). They really aren't all that detracting - the way WoW uses them is very good and not over-done (along with the brilliant Iron kingdoms setting - Gun-Mages are off-the-hook!) I have to add that other dwarves do NOT like the dwarves who use tech, and do business with humans, and thats how I achieve balance. Their city is grimey, and very unpleasant, and they even use goblin-slaves for the undesirable jobs (like I said - not very nice dwarves at all).

So I allow the canon existence of firearms in my Realms, exactly as it is in official lore, and just like how it is in the official setting, they are something most folks have heard of but have never seen. I've played them up just a tad in my own HB world, but hopefully have not over-done it - I still want it to feel like fantasy (although it does touch a wee bit on the the 'gothic horror'/steampunk genres). Their are also laws against non-dwarves owning such tech (which is another controlling-factor).

So it can be done, and be fun, but I believe a 'light touch' is the best way to go with it, otherwise you wind-up with something very different then a classic 'high fantasy' setting (which mine isn't - its a lot more gritty). I guess that means if we are taking a vote, I see no problem with such an article in a fantasy RPG magazine, and would enjoy reading it.

Thanks for the link, Sage.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Apr 2012 18:06:28
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2012 :  19:40:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Jack's flintlock was still superior to the matchlocks more commonly found in the Realms. Comparable to the starwheel pistols from spelljammer campaigns.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000