Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 What is your favorite realms Lore/Mystery?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2012 :  06:07:17  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Mine-

Mystery - Asmodeus and his true nature. I have a whacky theory that he is actually an undercover agent of Good...

Lore - would be the kingdom of Ostoria. I would love to read about the time when Giants ruled all...

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2012 :  08:43:01  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a whole bunch I want to know about the Realms, but at the top of my list I'd have to put the exact nature of the link between the land of Cormyr and its people.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2012 :  09:18:41  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is the sky blue?

A perfectly valid question in the Realms, where physics are all wonky and mathematically unworkable.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2012 :  17:02:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What were the Tears of Selune originally?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Apr 2012 17:04:01
Go to Top of Page

Amarel Derakanor
Seeker

97 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  11:21:37  Show Profile Send Amarel Derakanor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Mystery: The need to (violently) change faerūn every time a new edition is published, instead of just changing the rule-set and keeping (not to mention adding to) the already established lore.
-Lore: I'd like to know more about all the 'savage humanoid' kingdoms/tribes/peoples that are bound to exist between the borders of 'civilised' realms.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2012 :  16:05:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amarel_Derakanor

-Mystery: The need to (violently) change faerūn every time a new edition is published, instead of just changing the rule-set and keeping (not to mention adding to) the already established lore.

My favorite mysteries are what Khelben foresaw, prompting him to create the Tel'Teukiira, and the related prophecy. I also want to know what happened to the Cliffwatch Inn, in Waterdeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  00:10:59  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Demands of the business, I'm afraid. Though it's been more successful in some change-overs than others, and some change-overs have been MUCH less drastic than others.

I myself have never seen a real mechanical need to change "how magic works" in the Realms. 2e magic, 3e magic, 4e magic . . . it can all be the same magic as far as I'm concerned. And that's usually what's cited as "the reason" for the change.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  01:21:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not even sure where I should begin.

There have been so many intriguing mysteries that have, for whatever reason, been left either undeveloped [intentionally], or just forgotten as the lore progresses.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  05:56:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

What does Larloch do during his free time?

Seriously, (and this comes as no surprise to those who know me), I'm wondering what contingencies did Shade use to survive the Spellplague, when both the Weave and Shadow Weave (and their patron deity, Shar) were destroyed; not to mention a couple of magic-rich realms like Halruaa and Thay?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  05:59:40  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

What were the Tears of Selune originally?

This mystery has already been revealed, though this probably isn't the appropriate forum to divulge the answer.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  18:40:54  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

My favorite mysteries are what Khelben foresaw, prompting him to create the Tel'Teukiira, and the related prophecy. I also want to know what happened to the Cliffwatch Inn, in Waterdeep.

1) No Discernible Answer there, friend.
2) Um, it blew up, dude. (Oh, you want to know why? Well, that'll take more effort to answer, won't it? )

Steven
who simply shouldn't enjoy tormenting Wooly so, but it makes him merry in small ways

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  19:08:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

quote:

2) Um, it blew up, dude. (Oh, you want to know why? Well, that'll take more effort to answer, won't it? )

Steven
who simply shouldn't enjoy tormenting Wooly so, but it makes him merry in small ways

Thanks!

I like how you did answer #1.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2012 :  19:27:50  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always wondered what the original goddess(?) of Magic looked like. In the days before humans mastered magic, much less roamed the planet, I doubt she looked human.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  02:18:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

quote:

quote:

Curious.

I don't want to read too much into this [because we're all familiar with how NDAs are supposed to work], but should we, at the very least, be hopeful about the prospect that the truths bound by this NDA will one day be revealed, friend Steven?

Go to Top of Page

Darsson Spellmaker
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  06:12:34  Show Profile Send Darsson Spellmaker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's one mystery that has me stumped:
Why are there NDAs still in effect for lots of things/people in the pre-Spellplague Realms when the FR timeline has jumped 100 years and most of the principal characters are dead? Doesn't that mean any possible bits of lore/storyline are rendered obsolete and so don't need an NDA anymore?

"Know, O mages, that there is learning, and there is wisdom, and they are very far from being the same thing."--Azuth the High One, Utterances from the Altar: Collected Verbal Manifestations of the Divine and Most Holy Lord of Spells (holy chapbook, assembled by anonymous priests of Azuth circa 1358 DR)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  15:19:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darsson Spellmaker

Why are there NDAs still in effect for lots of things/people in the pre-Spellplague Realms when the FR timeline has jumped 100 years and most of the principal characters are dead? Doesn't that mean any possible bits of lore/storyline are rendered obsolete and so don't need an NDA anymore?

That one is easy: leaving the NDAs in place is free.

Determining which ones can be lifted, the degree to which they can be lifted ("still can't talk about A, but say what you want about B"), getting the legalese notifications generated by the legal team ("Party of the first part, hereafter referred to as Dude, is now freed from the NDA he signed with the party of the second part, hereafter referred to as Us, referring specifically to X, Y, and parts of Z. Dude is not freed from other NDAs, and is prohibited from saying this, implying that, revealing this other thing, or even acknowledging the existence of other NDAs signed on February 30th, 1999, and other dates enumerated below."), and then tracking down the signers, some of whom have relocated and/or left the gaming industry... That takes time, effort, and money.

The perpetual NDAs are very, very annoying, and I imagine that some of the folks operating under them -- particularly Ed -- can find them as irksome to be under as we find it to have lore locked away forever. That said, if the company has a choice between providing game material or determining whether or not now-irrelevant info about Bahb the Fighter can be shared, I'd rather see the former than the latter.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  15:39:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystery - My mysteries kind of revolve around dates in the past when X was replaced by Y. For instance, when did the Dawn Cataclysm happen? When did Tyr show up in the realms? When did Bane, Bhaal, Myrkul rise to god status? When did Mellifleur rise to godhood by stealing a portion of Bane's power? When did Kiaransalee's sect show up in the realm? However, of them all, I'd love to see an actual history of the rise of Thay (from rebellion to formation of the Zulkirate), though I'd probably prefer it if I developed that myself to tell the truth.

Lore - there's just way too much lore that I love... I guess of them all, its been finding out about the chosen over time. El, Khelben, and the seven sisters were always of interest to me.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2012 :  18:57:45  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

I always wondered what the original goddess(?) of Magic looked like. In the days before humans mastered magic, much less roamed the planet, I doubt she looked human.

Well she would like like a unicorn, from Ed's own words

Cheers

Damian
ps below is my third favourite piece of Realmslore

Well met again, all. Your Lady Hooded One returns (thank you for that naming, Wooly Rupert!), with Ed’s latest:

Hi, Wooly Rupert. Well, now: Nobanion and Lurue are, of course, the Lion and the Unicorn of British nursery rhyme fame (with all the meanings that go with that, too; they are among other things the supporters of the royal coat of arms for that country, and in many other coats of arms associated with England).

Yet they’re also MUCH more than that. For me, I have to be able to imagine a deity with some awe, and I often do it by attaching to them emotions evoked by other fiction. So, the Lion is also Aslan the Lion in The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (Christian allegorical fantasy classics soon to appear in a Disney movie that * might * turn out to be okay, and already on film in any number of BBC adaptations down the years, some of them superb). The Narnia books are hated by some, loved by others, but chock-full of little heart-wrenching scenes regardless, and are among the top-selling English-language fiction books of all time.

I didn’t mean my lion-god to BE Aslan, of course; as you saw in that DRAGON article, a lot of names were placeholders at the time, waiting for Mr. Gygax to round out the “official” (Greyhawk) pantheon. Aslan has that name because he has evoke that “awe” for me. The name “Aslan” is Indian in origin (India, not native North American), and the lion is of course a Christian symbol for ‘the King’ from way back, hence its lavish use in royal heraldry.

So “Aslan” went away the moment TSR decided to publish the Realms (mustn’t lift central characters from other authors, even in homage, though I did unwittingly [i.e. I’d forgotten] sneak one direct homage into the Realms [Aglarond, for Tolkien], and beat another well-known fantasy author to a name by coincidence, coining the name “Ashaba” for the river that runs through Shadowdale years before David Eddings used it in his Malloreon books).

Lurue is my own invented name, but it started almost as the deity’s ‘private’ name, with “Silverymoon” being her popular one (and, yes, the city of the same name was originally envisaged as the root and center of her faith). Not only is Lurue the Unicorn of “the Lion and the Unicorn,” she’s also the mysterious, eponymous unicorn from the children’s book THE LITTLE WHITE HORSE by Elizabeth Goudge, AND she’s also meant to evoke the Unicorn of Amber, in Roger Zelazny’s classic Amber books (where the Unicorn inspires awe even among the jaded royal family who use her as their badge). She was always meant to be mysterious, and there’s very little about her that didn’t go into POWERS & PANTHEONS that doesn’t now contradict the published Realms.

Originally, Lurue WAS magic—before Julia Martin added the name “Weave” to my GenCon explanations of ‘the great web of magic that’s everywhere in Toril, binds Toril together, and IS Toril,’ Lurue was the embodiment of the Weave. As such, she could teleport without error or limit, through all barriers and spells, was immune to all known magical [and psionic] effects, could raise dead, heal, regenerate and restore with the touch of her horn—and also spew silver fire from it—and so on. Her very proximity dispels illusions and curses, purifies and neutralizes poisons and taints, and purges diseases. And on and on. [To the usual chorus of “Look, yet another all-powerful Greenwood munchkin!” I reply: Yes. Of course. This is THE all-powerful goddess, and she’s also whimsical. We can’t understand why she does what she does, so she can’t be controlled, or act like any sort of tyrannical munchkin, any more than a mountain range or an ocean can be.] She tended to be as curious as a newborn babe, utterly fearless, and kind to injured creatures. And yes, I tucked in the “patron of virgins, but can also make barren wombs bear” folklore, too. Only virgins could ride her, and those who did got that silver hair the Chosen who are Mystra’s daughters all share, and ‘wild talent’ innate magical abilities, and were marked for special tasks and achievements all their lives.

The TSR designers quite rightly (given the humanocentric core of that version of AD&D, with its level and power limits on non-humans) wanted human gods to be front and center and of the greatest power and importance, so Mystra (most important to intelligent creatures trying to USE magic) became also the Guardian or Mother of the Weave, and Lurue sort of . . . danced sideways. To become the awe-inspiring mystery she is now.

Now, as for the Knights of the Unicorn, I do have more, but dare not pass it on right now for fear of trampling on something another creative person is already working on, in the Realms. That’s one rule I’m going to be very careful not to break, no matter how much we all want to delve into lore and secrets of the Realms. So: sorry, and I hope you’ll understand.

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 12 Apr 2012 18:58:29
Go to Top of Page

jordanz
Senior Scribe

553 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2012 :  05:38:45  Show Profile  Visit jordanz's Homepage Send jordanz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blood war - who is really pulling the strings?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  05:44:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Blood war - who is really pulling the strings?

The gods (and/or Ao himself), to keep the demons and devils busy. It's a theory by one of the scribes. Unfortunately, I can't remember who exactly.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  16:01:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I don't think anyone needs to pull any strings to keep the Blood War going. These guys have been trying to annihilate each other since time began -- that's evidence of pretty strong enmity, and with enmity that strong, who needs to encourage it?

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  19:35:37  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Used to be just who exactly killed Aravae Irithyl. Unfortunately, that mystery was rather dryly divulged with little fanfare.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2012 :  19:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Darsson Spellmaker

That one is easy: leaving the NDAs in place is free.

Determining which ones can be lifted, the degree to which they can be lifted ("still can't talk about A, but say what you want about B"), getting the legalese notifications generated by the legal team ("Party of the first part, hereafter referred to as Dude, is now freed from the NDA he signed with the party of the second part, hereafter referred to as Us, referring specifically to X, Y, and parts of Z. Dude is not freed from other NDAs, and is prohibited from saying this, implying that, revealing this other thing, or even acknowledging the existence of other NDAs signed on February 30th, 1999, and other dates enumerated below."), and then tracking down the signers, some of whom have relocated and/or left the gaming industry... That takes time, effort, and money.

The perpetual NDAs are very, very annoying, and I imagine that some of the folks operating under them -- particularly Ed -- can find them as irksome to be under as we find it to have lore locked away forever. That said, if the company has a choice between providing game material or determining whether or not now-irrelevant info about Bahb the Fighter can be shared, I'd rather see the former than the latter.

Lastly, NDAs remain in place because you never know when an idea Can become useful.

Management and the staff change all the time and thus the ideas and what's considered "untouchable" changes as well. Those of you who're still irritated that Sembia's no longer a DM's only venue can attest to that (but aren't we all glad it was opened up as it led to Paul Kemp's great work, if nothing else?).

Thus, if you have mysteries that remain usable, you can use them when the time and the people are right to reveal it.

Also, even if it seems obsolete or already answered, there are ways to wrangle lore that seems contradictory to make a whole new reveal possible. (I can't count how many continuity tangles I tweaked to do that with Lands of Intrigue, Sea of Fallen Stars, and Empires of the Shining Sea.)

Thus, NOT providing absolute answers to things serves a purpose too (especially when dealing with unreliable narrators and secrets-keepers like the Chosen).

After all, I sat on my theory/secret re: the Sharn for more than 14 years before I finally got the chance to use it in my first novel.

Steven
speaking solely from my experience as a freelance author--NOT as a former in-house designer and assistant manager with the RPG group at TSR/WotC.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 14 Apr 2012 19:39:25
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  01:46:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Honestly, I don't think anyone needs to pull any strings to keep the Blood War going. These guys have been trying to annihilate each other since time began -- that's evidence of pretty strong enmity, and with enmity that strong, who needs to encourage it?

The yugoloths, for one. And it's long been noted in both core and planar lore that the 'loths have a vested interested in keeping the Blood War going -- whatever their unfathomable reasons may be.

Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  01:59:47  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It's just part of our cynical view on war and politics. There's always a puppet-master behind the scenes instigating things. Witness the drow interlopers in "The Hunter's Blades Trilogy", or the angelic beings in John Carter.

Here's a long laundry list of things I want canonical answers to, in no particular order:

The various bits of lore about Gauntlgrym, Mount Hotenow/Maegera the fire primordial, and the Hosttower of Luskan still need to be reconciled.

Why did Josidiah Starym ever lose possession of Guenhwyvar's figurine of wondrous power? How did it come into the possession of the drow of Menzoberranzan, where it remained for centuries? Was it ever in the custody of a denizen of the lower planes, as alleged by Masoj Hun'ett, or was he just making stuff up?

I'm very curious about this alleged past friendship and betrayal between Jarlaxle Baenre and Zaknafein Do'Urden. I have theorized that Jar propped Zak up as the original public face of Bregan D'aerthe, just as he disastrously propped up Entreri as the would-be King of Vaasa in Road of the Patriarch, but then set him up for failure and took over leadership of the organization in full.

What really made Zak feel trapped in Menzoberranzan, when Drizzt so readily fled therefrom? Lady Fellshot has theorized that Zaknafein may have been some sort of self-righteous serial murderer, akin to Dexter.

Since Briza Do'Urden was described as being unusually large for a drow, could she have been sired by Uthegental Armgo? Might he have been horning in on Zak's domestic turf as an extension of their rivalry as weapon masters?

Why are Drizzt's eyes purple in infravision, too?

Why was infravision eliminated with 3E? Why is it still gone?!

Why was Drizzt reviled as the Achilles heel of House Do'Urden, when Matron Malice had a long history of bending Lloth's rules for her own personal favor?

What are the names of all the Kings of Mithral Hall, memorialized with busts in the Hall of Kings, and could we have brief bios on each?

How did Robillard go from Hosttower wizard, to enemy of the Archmage Arcane, to Memnon harbor guard, to Sea Sprite battle mage, to slayer of Greeth, to survivor of Deudermont? What are the details of this widely-meandering personal journey? (I haven't read Stone of Tymora, Vol. 3: The Sentinels).

How did Entreri go from the employ of Pasha Basadoni ("The Third Level") to the employ of Pasha Pook (The Crystal Shard)?

Let's get some background on his vampiric dagger, too. Actually, I'd like details on the histories of Icingdeath, Ivaekiir/Twinkle, Taulmaril, Khazid-hea, Charon's Claw, etc. And I'd like a definitive essay differentiating between Bruenor's personal adventuring arms/armor and his heritage Clan Battlehammer gear.

Why didn't Bruenor ever marry, or at least hook up with, that female cleric Stumpet Rakingclaw?

Why did it take so long for Drizzt and Catti-brie to become a couple, and even more time before they finally consumated their relationship? (TSR's and later WOTC's decisions to move the timeline along out from underneath RAS had the unintended consequence of drawing their already-protracted courtship out to ridiculous proportions, but I'd like an in-world explanation.)

Who was the real love of Artemis Entreri's life: Dwahvel the halfling, or Calihye the half-elf?

What did Entreri do in the seven years between Siege of Darkness and The Silent Blade? What happened to his infravision during this time?

When Zhengyi divided his essence up into countless artifacts spread all over the Bloodstone Lands, did he therefore cease to be as an individual? Or does he still exist, somewhere?

What kept Arklem Greeth from rematerializing outside of his phylactery (before Jarlaxle acquired it)?

Why did WOTC sack Blingdenstone and basically kill off the svirfneblin?

Who really signed the Charter of the League of the Silver Marches on behalf of Mithral Hall? Bruenor Battlehammer is typically considered to be the one in official lore--but he was still a resident of Icewind Dale when all the negotiations were going on regarding a Northern confederation. Gandalug Battlehammer was still King of Mithral Hall at the time, though possibly in failing health. I have theorized that King Gandalug may have called upon Bruenor to serve as Ambassador/Emissary of Mithral Hall in the proceedings. The year before the Charter was signed, Bruenor was off adventuring in Icewind Dale and along the Sword Coast North in search of his missing son Wulfgar, and nowhere near Mithral Hall or Silverymoon, where the deliberations were taking place, and only arrived back at the Hall in the middle of the year 1371 DR, after the Charter had already been signed. So maybe Bruenor, former King of the Hall, served as Emissary for King Gandalug during the early deliberations, which would explain the lorebooks, there. But perhaps another figure--maybe even King Gandalug, himself--actually signed the Charter early in 1371 DR, while Bruenor was MIA. And with Bruenor having formerly served as King of the Hall, and later actually being King of the Hall once again after the Charter had been put into effect; maybe history has confused the two, and credited Bruenor both with being the then-current King of the Hall and also signatory to the Charter.

Why didn't Drizzt retain Khazid-hea the super-sword and challenge King Obould again? He nearly defeated Obould with it in The Two Swords, and likely could've succeeded if he had tried again.

How fare the Harpells of the Longsaddle after the Spellplague? What were the final dispositions of Harkle, Bidderdoo, etc.?

Is the Obouldan dream of supposed peace and cooperation all just an evil sham, by which the Oboulds secretly hope conceal their true intentions of amassing an uber army to strike back at the goodly races like never before in the history of the Realms? Gruumsh blessed Obould, allowed him to retain his abilities, and even promoted him to exarch, so signs say "yes".

Is Drizzt actually a Chosen of Lolth, despite their obvious personal alignment differences?

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  02:09:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Can the goddess of Luck run out of luck?

How to murder the god of murder?

Where is Ao now?

Go to Top of Page

Thrasymachus
Learned Scribe

195 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2012 :  04:30:13  Show Profile Send Thrasymachus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What side of the river Daggerford is on.

Former Forgotten Realms brand manager Jim Butler: "Everything that bears the Forgotten Realms logo is considered canon".
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  23:12:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
3e) I want to know how Larloch feels about the return of Netheril (and the 'new' Netherese), AND 4e) how he feels about the Emminance of Araunt, and any clashes they may have had.

Larloch is one of the 'big guns' of the setting, and I think both editions dropped the ball by not addressing these concerns.

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Can the goddess of Luck run out of luck? She has, during the Dawn cataclysm. She had to double-down.

How to murder the god of murder? First you get a incompetent pissant thief, give him a sword thats really the gods of thieves...

Where is Ao now? Rolling over in his grave, or on the beach in Maui - take your pick. Either way, he's given-up on the Realms (I guess that makes Ao a grognard).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Apr 2012 23:13:48
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  23:57:57  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What does Elminster really keep in his beard?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2012 :  23:59:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

3e) I want to know how Larloch feels about the return of Netheril (and the 'new' Netherese), AND 4e) how he feels about the Emminance of Araunt, and any clashes they may have had.

Larloch is one of the 'big guns' of the setting, and I think both editions dropped the ball by not addressing these concerns.

quote:

Can the goddess of Luck run out of luck? She has, during the Dawn cataclysm. She had to double-down.

How to murder the god of murder? First you get a incompetent pissant thief, give him a sword thats really the gods of thieves...

Where is Ao now? Rolling over in his grave, or on the beach in Maui - take your pick. Either way, he's given-up on the Realms (I guess that makes Ao a grognard).

Pretty sure Ed address Larloch's thoughts on Shade, but I don't have that file handy -- still at work.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2012 :  01:05:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Pretty sure Ed address Larloch's thoughts on Shade, but I don't have that file handy -- still at work.

Yes. They're scattered in the archives. A quick search reveals some pertinent tidbits.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000