Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Thief in Fantasy
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  02:06:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:

Thieves are hardly my favorite class. But I’ve come to like them after reading quite a lot of books where they are the ‘star’ or supporting cast, accomplishing what even the most powerful wizard in the land cannot…

My picks are the first three. Though technically, among the three, only Jimmy would qualify as a pure thief. Seregil has magic, albeit it works rather disastrously. And Jace Beleren, though he steals for a living, is first and foremost a powerful planeswalker and mindage. Given that, I cast my vote on Jimmy.

The others on the list are remarkable in their own right. Locke Lamora, for instance, did what most thieves would deem quite impossible. And Dash is worthy to be in his grandfather’s shoes.

I haven’t yet read the last three, so if you know them, feel free to share anything. I only read a line or two about them in some sites; goodreads, among the others.

Results:
Jimmy The Hand (Riftwar Cycle by Raymond E. Feist)   [19%] 5 votes
Seregil (The Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling)   [0%] 0 votes
Jace Beleren (Agents of Artifice by Ari Marmell)   [4%] 1 votes
Locke Lamora (The Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch)   [4%] 1 votes
Aaron (The Fire’s Stone by Tanya Huff)   [0%] 0 votes
Dashel "Dash" Jamison (Riftwar Cycle by Raymond E. Feist)   [0%] 0 votes
Thazienne (Forgotten Realms)   [0%] 0 votes
Cyric (Forgotten Realms)   [12%] 3 votes
Royce Melborn (Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan)   [0%] 0 votes
Scipio (The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke)   [0%] 0 votes
Gen (The Queen’s Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner)   [0%] 0 votes
Other   [62%] 16 votes

Poll Status: Open  »»   Total Votes: 26 counted  »»   Last Vote: 30 Jun 2012 14:30:35 

Every beginning has an end.

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  02:14:46  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Carmen Sandiego. Arguably the best thief ever.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  02:16:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CS is a sleeze.

you forgot Catwoman.

and There is a party at mother's.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  02:21:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Indeed. The Thief That Purrs.(Well, that's the purpose of the Other option.)

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  02:55:59  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As soon as I saw Locke Lamora I didn't even need to finish reading the list. I highly recommend Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series to all!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:00:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by entreri3478

As soon as I saw Locke Lamora I didn't even need to finish reading the list. I highly recommend Scott Lynch's Gentlemen Bastards series to all!

Why did I have a feeling you'd say that?

I recommend them, too. Pure fun!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:00:32  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose it's not fair to say that I have *written* my favorite thief in fantasy, but that piece is not yet published, so I guess I'll keep mum.

From the list, I like Locke Lamora the most.

And what, no Erevis Cale?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:02:08  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Torm.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:05:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

And what, no Erevis Cale?

I think of Cale more as a priest. (Well, if people want him that bad, there's always the Other option.)

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:06:00  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No ERvis becuase Foxxie isnt up on that list and neither is Remmy Lebeau. and if anybody disagrees than prepare to pay in spades..... cause I got an ace in the hole....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:06:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dalor Darden

Torm.

Care to elaborate? (Don't heard of him. Or maybe I just forgot. FR character?)

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

No ERvis becuase Foxxie isnt up on that list and neither is Remmy Lebeau. and if anybody disagrees than prepare to pay in spades..... cause I got an ace in the hole....

Ah, yes. Gambit. I must admit, I forgot about him. Though that's probably due to the fact that the Marvel Universe, despite the presence of magic, is generally considered a sci-fi setting. And I specifically list the ones in Fantasy.

Edited by - Dennis on 26 Apr 2012 03:12:18
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:11:35  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Torm.

Torm? Knight of Myth Drannor mate!

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:13:45  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ah, yes. Gambit. I must admit, I forgot about him. Though that's probably due to the fact that the Marvel Universe, despite the presence of magic, is generally considered a sci-fi setting. And I specifically list the ones in Fantasy.

I'd consider it an alt dimension with sci fi and fantasy elements....

still no Cale and no Fox at Twilight.....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:16:33  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Torm.

Torm? Knight of Myth Drannor mate!

I see. Didn't (and probably will not) read that series. Didn't he appear in the second book of Shadow of the Avatar? I only read the first few chapters of that (highly disappointing) book and don't intend to finish it.

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd consider it an alt dimension with sci fi and fantasy elements....

still no Cale and no Fox at Twilight.....

MU's sci-fi elements far outstrip the fantasy ones, IMO. How many magic-users are there compared to mutants and the 'in-betweens'?

I intended the list to encompass as many settings as I could think of and research on, so I limited the representatives per setting to 1 to 2. The representatives of FR (Taz and Cyric) were the first that came to mind when I made the list.

Edited by - Dennis on 26 Apr 2012 03:20:36
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:23:48  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
had to go with other

Torm
Riven
Cale
Artimus
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:31:35  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had to go with "Other," because you missed the character who is far and away clearly the best thief in fantasy: Fritz Leiber's Gray Mouser.
Jimmy the Hand is more "boy next door makes good as thief."
Aaron from The Fire's Stone is the most INTERESTING of the newer thieves. Tanya winces when she looks back at that book, but it's one of Ed's faves.
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 26 Apr 2012 03:33:15
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:35:20  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ scererar

Artimus who?

Edited by - Dennis on 26 Apr 2012 03:36:53
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:39:07  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@ scererar

Artimus who?

Artemis Entreri
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:42:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Honorable Mention to Ceryni from Trudi Canavan's The Black Magician trilogy. Getting involved in a war among magicians and having survived is a plus enough. His charm, too.

Edited by - Dennis on 26 Apr 2012 03:43:29
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  03:55:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jimmy the Hand is a personal fave.

In the Realms, I have three favorite thieves, two of which are my own creation. One is a thief turned Lord of Waterdeep, Ralser Kepp -- he's an actual PC of mine, from way back in the day. Another is Terielle Nashirn, the werecat thief turned priestess of Selûne, and who is also a Lord of Waterdeep.

And Torm of the Knights of Myth Drannor, of course.

The Grey Mouser is another one I really liked, though it must be pointed out he's got some spellcasting ability and relies more on his bladework than any thieving abilities.

And why is that most famous burglar, Bilbo Baggins, not on the list?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:01:46  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And why is that most famous burglar, Bilbo Baggins, not on the list?

He's No. 13. The poll only has 12 choices. ('Tis one of things that should be changed in CK Ver. 2.0---increase it to 20 or more)

When you mentioned spellcasting ability, I'm reminded of Kylar Stern. Though he's more of a wizard-assassin than a thief; in the same way that Riven is more of an assassin than a thief, and Cale, more a priest than a thief.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:15:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blueblade

Had to go with "Other," because you missed the character who is far and away clearly the best thief in fantasy: Fritz Leiber's Gray Mouser.
Aaron from The Fire's Stone is the most INTERESTING of the newer thieves. Tanya winces when she looks back at that book, but it's one of Ed's faves.
BB

The Gray Mouser would have been my second choice

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  04:36:41  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hanse, AKA Shadowspawn.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  07:24:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BB

You might want to read the OP. I'm not asking who's the BEST or GREATEST Thief to ever appear in fantasy books. It's FAVORITE. What's best for you may be lame for others.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  09:10:12  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

BB

You might want to read the OP. I'm not asking who's the BEST or GREATEST Thief to ever appear in fantasy books. It's FAVORITE. What's best for you may be lame for others.

Aye, if I were picking the best...I surely wouldn't have picked Torm! While I LOVE the character, there are MANY thieves "better" than him.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  14:32:05  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

BB

Locke is my favorite because he isn't your common everyday thief. Sure he can pick someone's pocket, but he specializes in "Ocean's Eleven" type heists.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  14:33:27  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scererar

quote:

@ scererar

Artimus who?

Artemis Entreri

IMO he is a fighter/assassin with thieflike abilities.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  14:48:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Conan

Sorry, didn't recognize anyone on your list (except Cyric, and he's a d*****).

I also like Bilbo Baggins, Shadowspawn (Thieves World), and the Grey Mouser (Lankhmar).

For modern fantasy - Alexander Mundy (It Takes a Thief). Great show... can't figure out why no-one has revived it (yet).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 26 Apr 2012 14:54:15
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  14:51:05  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bilbo Baggins? ;P
But in all seriousness, I'd vote Erevis Cale. Yeah, he was a cleric, but he was a cleric of a god of thieves. He used his priestly might to do thevish things.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2012 :  20:14:59  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric...
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2012 :  00:18:32  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm genuinely surprised Tasslehoff Burrfoot and all those other notorious Dragonlance kender criminals haven't been mentioned yet. They're all kleptomanic vermin with thieving skills in their blood, even the "0-level" sorts will nonchalantly rob you blind. I loathe them with a passion, but I would've thought others considered them great.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000