Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Blood Warrior of Manshaka (feat?)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  06:55:51  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi All,

I'm statting up one a Moonstar agent from Cloak and Dagger described in passing as a former 'Blood Warrior of Manshaka'. Some investigation in Lands of Intrigue describes the Blood Arena of Manshaka in Calimshan, so I'm guessing a Blood Warrior is some kind of gladiator.

I don't think much more lore exists beyond these evocative names, but I'd like to build on the idea by creating a 'Blood Warrior of Manshaka' feat. Has anyone got any cool ideas about what such a feat might let you do? Something combat orientated, gladiatorial in style?

Furthermore, anyone know of any lore regarding Blood Warriors that I might have missed?

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  07:02:02  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Blood Warriors might also be some group dedicated to Tempus. They might even be somehow involved the Blood War of the fiends, although this seems unlikely.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  13:01:09  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What edition are we talking here?

Also, would you want to explore Prestige Class/Paragon Path options instead of just a feat?
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  16:18:38  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Edition wise I'm looking at Pathfinder.

I considered a Prestige Class, but figured a feat would be more appropriate for this character. I'm figuring a feat would represent "I fought in the Blood Arena of Manshaka and lived to tell the tale," whereas a Prestige Class suggests a greater commitment in time and ideology.

Of course, having survived the Blood Arena the character has learnt a battle trick (or two) which is represented by the feat.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2012 :  17:42:31  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, couple of suggestions:

- Bonus to damage when opponent is flat-footed or to your CMB when performing a combat maneuver. This illustrates your ability to take greater advantage of a foe in a precarious position.

-Combat benefits (attack/damage) when you reduce an enemy to below 1/2 their HP. This illustrates bloodshed imposed on your foe.

-Temporary Hit Points = 1/2 your level when you drop a foe to 1/2 HP or fewer. This illustrates your renewed energy and bloodlust when you hurt foes.

-Gain the benefits of Imprived Critical feat when you attack a foe whose denied their Dexterity bonus to their AC or if your flanking a foe.

Hope some of this helps :-)

Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2012 :  13:38:07  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Diffan; mechanically these are great, but I guess I'm looking for some flavour too. Lorewise I think we enjoy a blank slate concerning exactly what a Blood Warrior is, I'm looking for something that throws up some cool ideas and a possible feat to define them mechanically.

Forgive my vagueness!
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  10:39:35  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is what I came up with in the end:

Blood Warrior of Manshaka

In Manshaka, the notorious City of Sin, slaves fight one another in the Blood Arena for the amusement of the decadent populace. The crowd hungers for blood, favouring those whose weapons paint the gladiatorial sands crimson. You have fought in the Blood Arena and won your freedom, and you have also learnt how spilling the blood of your foes can turn a fight in your favour.
Prerequisite: Base Attack Bonus+5, you must have fought at least five battles within one of the Manshakan Blood Arenas.
Benefit: When wielding a melee slashing weapon, you can attempt to blind nearby foes with sprays of blood when you land a hit. Attempting this special attack incurs a -4 attack roll penalty, but if successful, a single foe within 10’ of the creature is blinded by the spray of blood, unless it makes a successful Reflex save (DC 5+ damage done). A full round action is required to wipe the blood from an affected creatures eyes, ending the effect. The creature targeted by this special attack cannot be the same creature you wound with your weapon.
Furthermore, you gain +2 bonus to Intimidate checks made to demoralise an opponent against any creatures you witness you successfully blind an opponent with the blood of a foe.
This feat cannot be used against creatures which do not have any blood in their bodies (such as most undead and many extraplanar creatures). Furthermore, using this feat may have unforeseen effects against creatures with a special blood (such as acidic or burning blood), as determined by the DM.
Special: A fighter may select this feat as a bonus feat.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3737 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  15:41:59  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I might adjust the part (DC = 5 + Damage Done). There's a bunch of reasons: At higher levels, obviously, you're going to be doing massive amounts of damage and on a critical, you do x2/x3/x4 and that'd artificially boost the DC even more.

-Maybe have the DC only as the physical damage done (weapon + STR), factoring out stuff like magic and whatever else.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  17:28:18  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, any DC on damage done, and there are a few of them in canon mechanics, is kinda useless at higher level or against critical hits. Even a dragon would need a 20 to succeed against a strong axe-wielder fighter who crits.

I would also add some penalties against larger foes, maybe -2 per size category, and specify that some types of creatures are unaffected (construct/plant/ooze/undead probably).
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  18:25:38  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-I might adjust the part (DC = 5 + Damage Done). There's a bunch of reasons: At higher levels, obviously, you're going to be doing massive amounts of damage and on a critical, you do x2/x3/x4 and that'd artificially boost the DC even more.

-Maybe have the DC only as the physical damage done (weapon + STR), factoring out stuff like magic and whatever else.

That's a fine idea, thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2012 :  20:55:48  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't thinke a DC is required for this feat to work well. The condition imposed is already balanced by the fact that it can't be used during single-enemy encounters, has a -4 penalty to the attack, has a specific weapon requirment, and a prerequisite of BAB +5 and a special event/place to be obtained. Adding another layer of complexity (a DC check) makes the feat under-powered. Instead, make the condition slowly go away unless the target wants to spend a Full-Round action cleaning it off. You can also add a second balancing factor as using this special ability requires a standard action to perform (so you can't full-round attack using this ability). It could read:

Benefit: When wielding a melee slashing weapon, you can attempt to blind nearby foes with sprays of blood when you land a hit. Attempting this special attack requires a standard action and imposes a -4 attack roll penalty. If successful, a single foe within 10’ of the creature is blinded by the spray of blood. The blindness is reduced to 20% concealment a turn later and completley removed the round after. A full round action can be used to wipe the blood from an affected creatures eyes, ending the effect. The creature targeted by this special attack cannot be the same creature you wound with your weapon.
Furthermore, you gain +2 bonus to Intimidate checks made to demoralise an opponent against any creatures you witness you successfully blind an opponent with the blood of a foe.
This feat cannot be used against creatures which do not have any blood in their bodies (such as most undead and many extraplanar creatures). Furthermore, using this feat may have unforeseen effects against creatures with a special blood (such as acidic or burning blood), as determined by the DM.
Special: A fighter may select this feat as a bonus feat.
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2012 :  16:02:29  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Diffan I think that's a great rejig, and I know you know your stuff, so I'll be using this version for my character.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000