Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Artefacts and Items that let you live forever ...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  09:27:56  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi All,

Besides the 'typical' magical items presented in the Dungeons and Dragons game (potions of longevity etc.), can the scribes suggest any artifacts or powerful magical items that confer everlasting youth, strength and health (perhaps in addition to other powers)?

Many thanks!

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  13:55:54  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wish spell

there was this corset......

ioluam's longevity spell

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  15:09:00  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Hi All,

Besides the 'typical' magical items presented in the Dungeons and Dragons game (potions of longevity etc.), can the scribes suggest any artifacts or powerful magical items that confer everlasting youth, strength and health (perhaps in addition to other powers)?

Many thanks!

Oil of Olay

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  16:00:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the Ring of Winter confers immortality.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2012 :  17:45:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

I believe the Ring of Winter confers immortality.

Indeed.

The 2E Book of Artifacts, as I recall, gave DM's much leeway for assigning powers and abilities to artifacts (and I know the 1E DMG did). So any artifact in either of those sources could, at the DM's option, grant immortality -- though it might be immortality at a price heavier than someone wants to pay.

WotC, and TSR before them, seem to have shied away from options that allowed eternal youth in one's own living body, instead leaning heavily towards methods that either continually restored youth (like the potions) or towards methods that side-stepped the "living body" angle: undead, putting your mind in an object (but not an automaton/golem), etc. Mystra's Chosen were one of the few exceptions to this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  02:01:56  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Dungeon #112, there's an artifact potion in Maure Castle that can grant immortality if you drink it. You continue to age, but just have no maximum.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  02:30:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly said it best, longevity or immortality could be conferred by almost any Artifact in AD&D 2E. Magical potions and elixirs could reverse aging, wish spells and other magics could postpone it (an extreme example being Karsus's avatar), divine favour (such as becoming a Chosen or Druid Hierophant) or undeath (such as becoming a lich, vampire, or shade) could sidestep death. The price of immortality invariably involves some sort of immediate or gradual loss of essential humanity, few who live forever view it as a blessing.

One of my favourite mechanisms is magical paintings, such as the Gray Portrait discussed in this old scroll.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 11 Mar 2012 02:34:27
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  06:39:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

There's this elixir of life that Malark Springhill drank. It's not clear whether the liquid's container (a jar?) made it an elixir or the elixir itself came from some mythical place.

Yaphyll, Zulkir of Divination, wore a ring of eternal youth.

Maligor, Zulkir of Transmutation, transmuted a mix of liquids into a life-lengthening potion.

A certain drow wizard in Daughter of the Drow used a Wand of Lichdom that instantly made him a lich upon death.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Demron
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  10:11:23  Show Profile Send Demron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Two more that come to mind are Gromph Baenres "Amulet of Eternal Youth" (made from an unicorn, I believe) and the 9th level spell "Ensul's Soultheft" (found in City of Splendors).
Go to Top of Page

MalariaMoon
Learned Scribe

324 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2012 :  13:17:41  Show Profile  Visit MalariaMoon's Homepage Send MalariaMoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks all, some useful suggestions here (and more always welcome)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  00:01:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-It might be excessive poetic license, but I would say that Necromantic spells like Vampiric Touch extend the user's life. In D&D terms, they gain temporary hit points. Looking at things in-setting, 'hit points' can be explained as absorbing someone else's vitality. When you absorb someone else's, you temporarily don't use yours. So, those 1d4 hit points in D&D terms can be translated into absorbing someone else's vigor in in-game terms, which would seemingly naturally extend your own.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  01:55:07  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-It might be excessive poetic license, but I would say that Necromantic spells like Vampiric Touch extend the user's life. In D&D terms, they gain temporary hit points. Looking at things in-setting, 'hit points' can be explained as absorbing someone else's vitality. When you absorb someone else's, you temporarily don't use yours. So, those 1d4 hit points in D&D terms can be translated into absorbing someone else's vigor in in-game terms, which would seemingly naturally extend your own.

To counter, it could be argued that the absorbed hit points will "bleed off" eventually of their own accord. While you're temporarily enhancing your life force, this would not translate to gaining more life force. Hit points themselves are something of an abstract concept in any case, and can mean different things to different people.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  02:42:00  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

To counter, it could be argued that the absorbed hit points will "bleed off" eventually of their own accord. While you're temporarily enhancing your life force, this would not translate to gaining more life force. Hit points themselves are something of an abstract concept in any case, and can mean different things to different people.

-Right; To counter that, when you're using those temporary hit points, you're not using your own. If everybody has a finite, possibly pre-determined (DNA) amount of time to live, using somebody else's means for that yours doesn't get used.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  03:25:29  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hit points really only mean something while you're being hit. More hit points means you could live longer by simple merit of not dying through damage inflicted by the environment, but regardless of your hit points you'd probably live just as long if you weren't in that damaging environment at all. Without magical mechanisms designed specifically for this purpose, you just can't trade hit points for years.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  18:14:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MalariaMoon

Hi All,

Many thanks!

Not exactly "immortality" but a common means of extending one's life is to simply steal the body of a younger host. My belief's of Velsharoon is that this is how he lived for as long as he did without becoming undead. There was even a note in somewhere that there was a necromancer in Soorenar that had developed a spell that could steal faces. Thus, I imagine he would take a new body, steal his old face, and move on.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  19:17:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Not exactly "immortality" but a common means of extending one's life is to simply steal the body of a younger host. My belief's of Velsharoon is that this is how he lived for as long as he did without becoming undead. There was even a note in somewhere that there was a necromancer in Soorenar that had developed a spell that could steal faces. Thus, I imagine he would take a new body, steal his old face, and move on.

This brings to mind Fistandantilus and his bloodstone pendant, in the Dragonlance books.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2012 :  22:58:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

This brings to mind Fistandantilus and his bloodstone pendant, in the Dragonlance books.

And of course, the evil queen in Snow White. (Who seems to be so popular that it's got TWO Hollywood remakes coming to theaters soon, one dark, the other comedy.)

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  17:59:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Yeah, but didn't his actually steal the health of others to renew his body (such that he stayed in his original body)? Could very well be wrong, but I don't recall Raistlin actually having a new body after that encounter. Same general principle, but with the process I'm talking about with Velsharoon, you could end up with a vastly different body (stronger, or having a particular health issue, or lankier/more dextrous)... but the face being the same.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2012 :  19:42:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It wasn't real clear, but there was a reference to Fisty having a new body, and after Raistlin took over, he wasn't coughing. As I recall, of course. It's been quite some time since I revisited Krynn.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2012 :  01:14:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah, but didn't his actually steal the health of others to renew his body (such that he stayed in his original body)?
That's largely what the Bloodstone allowed him to do, yes. It's primary function was to suck the life force from one body and transfer it [and the victim's memories] into the body of the one with the Bloodstone.
quote:
Could very well be wrong, but I don't recall Raistlin actually having a new body after that encounter.
The spirit of Fistandantilus did once come to occupy the body of a Red Robe for a time. That could be what Wooly is referring to above.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2012 :  04:07:54  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Demron

...the 9th level spell "Ensul's Soultheft" (found in City of Splendors).

The novel? I don't recall that. Who cast it?

Go to Top of Page

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2012 :  04:43:48  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

He means the 3.5e sourcebook.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  04:29:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I see. That's why it doesn't ring a bell at all...

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2012 :  21:32:36  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Guessing Ensul?

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2012 :  06:55:56  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ruler's Sword and Andrathath Mask from Cormanthyr, Oil of Agelessness from Unther, and there's is a special spice and the book of hsi from Kara-Tur
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000