Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Tiefling Telflammar Shadowlord?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2012 :  14:38:52  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ah, my first scroll ever. Okay, on the Telflammar Shadowlord prc, the character must qualify to select regional feats from Thesk(the region is the home region or he has 2 ranks in Knowledge[local-Thesk]). As the 2 ranks in Knowledge[local-Thesk] part has been dropped in 3.5, and the Thesk region is only available to humans, gnomes, & orcs, would a tiefling ever qualify for this prc? There is a Maskarran tiefling bloodline in Thesk noted for never casting reflections IIRC. So what do I need to do to qualify for this prc? Could i just take the human region in Thesk as my home region even though I'm a tiefling?

Edited by - Doge on 09 Mar 2012 14:40:49

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2012 :  14:58:31  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd guess that depends on your DM.

Personally, I'd think that any place where it's reasonable a tiefling could have grown up as more or less a normal citizen, he ought to be able to take the Regional Feats of his actual home region.

There are a lot of D&D rules that don't support Realmslore or the Realms feel. I think that a good DM knows to adapt the rules to the game he and his players want to play.

The rules are a tool and if your toolbox doesn't have a screwdriver in the right size, maybe you just fetch some duct-tape from the kitchen and make do.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2012 :  15:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed. That requirement is basically there to just restrict the PrC to members of the Shadowmasters. A way of saying "these guys get it, but Night Masks, Shadow Thieves, random rogue on the street of Waterdeep, you're out of luck." If it was published in 3.5, the requirement would probably be more of a "be a member in good standing of the Shadwomasters guild" or have that favored in house feat.

By RAW, no, a tiefling can't be part of the PrC. But with even a little bit of common sense, the way should be open.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2012 :  16:10:48  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's that I guess. Thanks for the insight candlekeep.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2012 :  16:20:28  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem. That's why we're here. Welcome to the forums, by the way.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  02:45:15  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doge

Ah, my first scroll ever. Okay, on the Telflammar Shadowlord prc, the character must qualify to select regional feats from Thesk(the region is the home region or he has 2 ranks in Knowledge[local-Thesk]). As the 2 ranks in Knowledge[local-Thesk] part has been dropped in 3.5, and the Thesk region is only available to humans, gnomes, & orcs, would a tiefling ever qualify for this prc? There is a Maskarran tiefling bloodline in Thesk noted for never casting reflections IIRC. So what do I need to do to qualify for this prc? Could i just take the human region in Thesk as my home region even though I'm a tiefling?

Does anybody have a source for the bolded lore?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  03:20:04  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've heard it before... monsters of faerun I think had it....

but afaic, I'd consider aasimar, tieflings, gensai humans as well for the requirements of feats and stuff....

that is if ofcourse that its not off an elf etc

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  03:47:34  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not finding it in MoF, only Fey'ri an Tunnaruk. Thanks though.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  04:44:38  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well it was somewhere, races of FAerune, maybe the 3.x frcs or 2e book.

as I said I heard it before, but no mirror reflectionI dont think those were tieflings like the populace believes. I think they were vampires mascarading as tieflings

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  11:01:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

well it was somewhere, races of FAerune, maybe the 3.x frcs or 2e book.

as I said I heard it before, but no mirror reflectionI dont think those were tieflings like the populace believes. I think they were vampires mascarading as tieflings

It sounds like something out of Races of Faerūn. And given it's something in a sourcebook, I find the vampire theory unlikely... I also think it's a pretty nifty quirk.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  08:22:36  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's from Races from Faerun, describes other bloodlines too, for example devilish tieflings cast no shadow, not sure if they would be accepted into the guild. I think these prc restrictions are not good cause the guild operates all over the Unapproachable East.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  15:29:50  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A shadowless Shadowlord? Agreed. Highly unlikely.

edit: Oh, and thanks, Scribes.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 21 Jul 2012 16:15:50
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  02:45:01  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dono if there are any dubsteppers in da house, but Jon Davis in this Datsik video is the tiefling shade. Black eyes and teeth. Frightening.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2012 :  04:57:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, personally, don't have an issue with a tiefling shadowlord. I'd allow planetouched (at least the near-human ones) to qualify for things that otherwise required a human background, unless it was something very humanocentric.

A shadowless shadowlord is pushing it, though. I'd expect that would actually be a drawback for a shadowlord, not a plus.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000