Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Map of Toril - 3.5E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  01:37:18  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi all,

I'm in the process (have been for a while when i have time) of remaking the map of all Toril while blending the new map of Faerun with the old map of the planet. All the scribes here know that the scales and dimensions of the 3.5e version of Faerun were completely changed compared to the 1e/2e era. That always buged me and i decided to unified the two.

I completed the contour of the continents and some major changes were necessary at the frontier of Kara-Tur and Faerun. I don't know if this is of any interest to my fellow scribes but i offer it as a work in progress and will keep you posted on my work. My hope is to complete the planet at some point and i'm really looking foreward to what Mr. Greenwood will produce in the new FRCS for 4E.

Anyway, here is the link to a big PDF map (12 megs) of the contour lines of Toril with my changes. I blended the 3.5e version of Faerun with 1e/2e version of the rest of Toril.

http://patoumonde.com/picturepro//albums/userpics/10001/Toril_Topo_3.pdf

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com

Edited by - Patrakis on 02 Oct 2009 19:54:41

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  03:32:31  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the next progression with the relief done for Faerun.

http://patoumonde.com/picturepro//albums/userpics/10001/Toril_Topo_3.pdf

Pat

Edited by - Patrakis on 02 Oct 2009 19:54:57
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  03:57:49  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a lot of potential, good luck with it.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  09:59:39  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great stuff! Thanks for posting
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  21:25:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-MarkusTay63 is also pursuing such a project. I'd advise you check out his progress as well.

-I'd also contact Alediran at www.forgottenrealmsvault.com, and see if he'd be willing to host your maps, as well.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 06 Jul 2008 21:26:00
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  23:53:02  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a bit of hard work. Thank you for your diligence!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  00:43:23  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow pretty interesting....looks like a lot of work with much patience needed.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  01:37:22  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks,

I hope this work could be of use to some. Sometimes i think i'm the only one that was profondly shocked by the reworking of the geography of Faerun when 3.5 arrived. I liked the new map but i couldn't get myself to live with the discrepencies between versions of the realms. I've tried to link them as best i could without modifying the geography too much at the frontier with Kara-tur and Maztican but it was not possible. What i propose is in the realm of Fanon but it seems logical.

As for patience, it does take some. The reason the file is so big is because the level of details of the coastline was taken from the dragon map of Faerun, a very small scale compared to the world level of details. As some of you might ahve noticed, you can zoom in quite a lot with the PDF. I'll try to keep it all in one file as long as it is managable in Acrobat. My working file is at 278 000 megs :) in Illustrator :)

Anyway, i'll post progression as they are made. I will probably complete the main continent with names and features before i tackle the unknown continents.

Pat

Edited by - Patrakis on 07 Jul 2008 01:43:46
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  02:52:59  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Patrakis,
Are you using Campaign Cartographer?
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  03:14:38  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Normally i'm using CC for my maps but this one is pretty complexe and demands some imports of PDF, JPG and generates a very large map. That's why i'm using Adobe Illustrator for the main job. CC can't handle that big of a file.

Pat

Go to Top of Page

Afetbinttuzani
Senior Scribe

Canada
434 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  03:33:13  Show Profile  Visit Afetbinttuzani's Homepage Send Afetbinttuzani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beautiful work. I wonder, though, if the stark colors will obscure the lettering of place names, when you get to them.
Afet

Afet bint Tuzanķ

"As the good Archmage often admonishes me, I ought not to let my mind wander, as it's too small to go off by itself."
- Danilo Thann in Elfsong by Elaine Cunningham
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  16:30:26  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, I love maps. I am looking forward to seeing this when you are done! (I am looking forward to Markus' too, but he is a slacker. )

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  20:13:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Slacker?!

I prefer to be called a 'perfectionist', thank you very much.

If I didn't spend 90% of my time re-doing parts on completed maps that I wasn't entirely happy with, I'd get a LOT more done. I'm currently working on The North (a higher-res rework of my Silver Marches Map, with many more locales) and the FOURTH version of the Hordelands, which is nearly complete and should be available at Alediran's site by the end of the week.

I also have quite a lot done that no-one has seen because neighboring regions are incomplete.

This was from awhile ago -

Continental Map

Its just a teaser, and I have progressed much further since I posted that on Photobocket awhile back. :)

I didn't realize I was in a 'race' - I guees I'll have to get my butt in gear...

@Dagnirion - I don't know why, but when I click that link in your post, it sends my anti-virus into a FRenzy!

Perhaps a Mod could remove that link? I've never had a problem with that site before, so this is a first.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jul 2008 20:22:54
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  20:20:10  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I sincerely hope you don't you don't consider this a race Mark.

But if my endeavour places a bit of pressure on you so you can complete your beautiful maps... then it's an added bonus to the community

It sure is not a race for me ... just a labor of love... mapping i mean.

Pat

Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  20:22:02  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Afetbinttuzani

Beautiful work. I wonder, though, if the stark colors will obscure the lettering of place names, when you get to them.
Afet

The colours are not decided yet... I've put some to get a sense of the design but the end choices will take much tries as it will have to show good results in printing form also.

Pat

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  20:29:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

It sure is not a race for me ... just a labor of love... mapping i mean.
It started as a labor of love for me as well, but after the 4e announcement, I've found it was harder and harder to get back to it.

But like you, I am trying to put all the 2e locales and terrain back unto the 3e maps, which isn't easy - as you probably already know.

Wait until you try to use the map of Hartsvale to place IT - the northern continental caostline from the world map doesn't work out AT ALL.

I also found I had to rotate the 3e Campaign Map about 9° to get the Hordelands, Kara-Tur, and Zakhara to line-up correctly (and make the coastline of the worldmap confer to the campaign map - the 3e world map actually matches better with the 2e campaign map!)

Anyhow, great work... and it does put a 'fire under my arse' to get mine done now, so it's all good.

And your presentation is different - I haven't used Adobe... yet.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jul 2008 20:31:50
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  21:09:04  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Anyhow, great work... and it does put a 'fire under my arse' to get mine done now, so it's all good.

-How much of the world have you finished, anyway?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  23:25:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really shouldn't be clogging up Patrakis' thread with this - it's his moment, and with his hard work he deserves it.

I really like what he has done here, and it will aid me in several ways - Thanks Patrakis.

For those who care:
Faerūn proper is a constant work-in-progress - I'm always fine-tuning it. The Hordelands are done, as is the Ue. Kara-Tur is 95% complete, and I should have Shou-Lung at least posted shortly somewhere. The southern jungle/Malatra region is just 'roughed-in' ATM, and I only have the northern edge of Zakhara complete (but the rest is outlined). Haven't even begun the Japan-like Island nations, other then a quick rough-in.

I also have a labor-of-love map of Katashaka in the works - its basically an adaption of the Nyambe Map applied to the outline of the continent from the FRCS.

I was going to start Maztica a few months back... but now I don't know if I'll bother.

Anchorome is a LONG way off.....

And YES Ergdusch, I AM indeed still working on the Cormyr map in-between everything else.

Edited by - Markustay on 09 Jul 2008 19:50:09
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  23:41:37  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Slacker?!

I prefer to be called a 'perfectionist', thank you very much.
I'm just picking on you! You know I hold you in high regard too! You also have other fun distractions like work and kids and stuff.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)

Edited by - Hawkins on 08 Jul 2008 23:43:17
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  01:07:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*The Sage eagerly anticipates Markus's Anchorome map*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  03:15:45  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really shouldn't be clogging up Patrakis' thread with this - it's his moment, and with his hard work he desrves it.

I really like what he has done here, and it will aid me in several ways - Thanks Patrakis.

For those who care:
Faerūn proper is a constant work-in-progress - I'm always fine-tuning it. The Hordelands are done, as is the Ue. Kara-Tur is 95% complete, and I should have at least Shou-Lung up shortly somewhere. The soutehern jungle/Malatra region is just 'roughed-in' ATM, and I only have the northern edge of Zakhara complete (but the rest is outlined). Haven't even begun the Japan-like Island nations, other then a quick rough-in.

I also have a labor-of-love map of Katashaka in the works - its basically an adaption of the Nyambe Map applied to the outline of the continent from the FRCS.

I was going to start Maztica a few months back... but now I don't know if I'll bother.

And YES Ergdusch, I AM indeed still working on the Cormyr map in-between everything else.

Thanks Markustay,

And i don't mind as long as we write about Maps. :)

Pat

Go to Top of Page

Brother Accam
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  06:31:21  Show Profile  Visit Brother Accam's Homepage Send Brother Accam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I know he said it was a LONG way off . . . but I love Markustay's stuff, and I'm really looking forward to this map.

'Too much time spent in stuffy rooms reading old books written by dead men.'
-- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  09:56:46  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

http://patoumonde.com/maps/Toril_progress_5.pdf

Pat

I have tried to download this twice, and both downloads came back with an error message when I tried to open them. I am using Adobe reader 6.0 on a Mac with System X.2.8.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  12:08:20  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My internet provider has been known to go down from time to time. Sorry about that.

I've just tried the link and it seems to work fine.

Pat

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  14:55:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

quote:

http://patoumonde.com/maps/Toril_progress_5.pdf

Pat

I have tried to download this twice, and both downloads came back with an error message when I tried to open them. I am using Adobe reader 6.0 on a Mac with System X.2.8.

I had the same thing happen once, but I re-downloaded the file and it worked.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  20:04:18  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Accam

quote:

quote:

I know he said it was a LONG way off . . . but I love Markustay's stuff, and I'm really looking forward to this map.

Considering I was only doing Katashaka for MY interest (I love the Nyambe setting, and a wee bit creeped into my last CK article), I may just bump it aside for awhile and start Anchorme, considering there's an interest in it. I found a great relief-Map done by someone on the internet of the place, which I'm going to base it on - I'll just re-do what he has done with the 3e map terrain and textures. However, putting it in front of Katashaka still puts it a ways off, but perhaps not as long as it would have otherwise been.

*That link takes awhile to load, and I have GREAT connection speeds, so anyone who is uasually slow may want to avoid it. I tried linking directly to the pic (which is located at the bottom of that page), which is chock-full of col maps), but the website doesn't allow it.

Go to Top of Page

HandsomeRob
Seeker

68 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  21:41:00  Show Profile  Visit HandsomeRob's Homepage Send HandsomeRob a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Continental Map

Hey, why is Sri Lanka down there in the southeast corner?

Visit Sorol today: http://sorol.wikispaces.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  01:20:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Considering I was only doing Katashaka for MY interest (I love the Nyambe setting, and a wee bit creeped into my last CK article), I may just bump it aside for awhile and start Anchorme, considering there's an interest in it. I found a great relief-Map done by someone on the internet of the place, which I'm going to base it on - I'll just re-do what he has done with the 3e map terrain and textures. However, putting it in front of Katashaka still puts it a ways off, but perhaps not as long as it would have otherwise been.
Markus, I certainly didn't want you to feel like you had to set aside other more important maps just so you could work on the Anchorome map. Your work is too important for that. I'm content enough to wait for as long as it takes.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  17:43:14  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious,

Where is the information on the geography of Anchorome coming from?

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  17:44:21  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I am eagerly awaiting the completion of both your and Patrakis' map projects, and I am happy that you both are keeping them to the 3.5 and before Realms since I am not happy about what is being done with the 4e Realms.

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  19:27:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Geography of Anchorme I'm taking from that other guy's map, because I don't like to go against previous lore, even if it's homebrew (he did his first, so why should I change it?) Thats just a topographical map anyway, and I'd be adding in whatever few locations (New Waterdeep?) that might actually be there (or close enough to make it onto the map edge), with a few 'tribal' suggestions penned in from what little we have to go on.

You know... this is the PERFECT opportunity for an 'ask Ed'. I realize his Anchorme was but a series of Islands, and I was planning on adding those some 25-50 miles off the coast (to keep Ed's vision compatible with the FRCS world map and the topographical map that other gentleman did), but I'm sure he could provide some semi-canonical input on what's on the mainland (now that there is one), especially considering he must of put some sort of thought into it for the FRCG (4e).

quote:

Markus, I certainly didn't want you to feel like you had to set aside other more important maps just so you could work on the Anchorome map. Your work is too important for that. I'm content enough to wait for as long as it takes.

Nothing important is being set-aside. I was doing the Katashaka-as-Nyambe map/Conversion as a pet project, and so far all I have is the coastal outline and a couple of mountain ranges,

The Kara-Tur map and even the forseeable Zakhara map would both still come first, mostly because I have real, canon sources to draw from.

quote:
Originally posted by HandsomeRob

Hey, why is Sri Lanka down there in the southeast corner?

Ummmmmm

When I started this project, I hadn't bothered to consult the world map from the FRCS (3e) because it tends to be a little off (especially in regards to the far north - Ed has stated that the Great Ice sea (Yal Tengri) connects to the Sea of Floating Ice, for one). The Kara-Tur Map was taken directly from the K-T boxed set maps and then 're-built' by me, adding in features and dressing up the place a wee-bit - THAT MAP didn't have the lower portion of the continent on it, so I fudged it the first time around (and roughed-in a possible placement for a nearby 'lost empire', which happens to be 'borrowed' from Sri Lanka). Then I got ahold of the Trail Map, which does have the bottom portion on it, and I realized there is no 'Giant Island' in that region.

But I left it anyway... for now. It kind-of feels like it belongs there.

Chalk it up to 'artistic license', or some sort of 'temporal Space Anomaly' (Star Trek seems to love those), but either way, when the map is done I plan for something to be there, but modified quite a bit from my 'concept 1st draft'.

Besides, what have you got against Sri Lanka?

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Jul 2008 22:04:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000