Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Aasimar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  12:09:23  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So i just finished reading this book called Angelology which deals with the consequences of human and celestial relationships.In this novel children born of such unions are evil and monstrous as is depicted in the bible and have been waging war to control humanity for millenia.So my question is why do the divinities in the realms allow human-celestial unions to take place?I know that most aasimar are goodly but have there been any instances where evil offspring have occured?

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  12:35:40  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because real-world religious philosophy really has no place in the Forgotten Realms. Also, Aasimar might be born of celestial blood but that doesn't mean that corruption of being mortal or things won't make them into bad people. Just as the reason all Tieflings aren't evil or diabilical, upbrining and all that have more profound impact than one's heritage.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2012 :  13:17:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed. Aasimar might be born of good celestials, and tieflings born of darker bloodlines, but both races are mortal and just as capable of choosing good or evil as any other race.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  01:41:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
D&D canon does not really model planars/outsiders the same way they're depicted in your Angelology novel.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Old Man Harpell
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  02:29:51  Show Profile Send Old Man Harpell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not even angels themselves are always 'good', and I'm not speaking of the Fallen, either.

One of the better portrayals I have seen was Christopher Walken as the Angel Gabriel in The Prophecy. He actively hates humanity, resents God for falling silent and not speaking to him, and is one of the prime movers behind a war in Heaven that has raged for millennia.

One of his opponenets in the film who aids the protagonist is (amusingly) Lucifer, who says to the hero, "Gabriel would turn Heaven into another Hell, and that's one Hell too many."

The alignment issue aside, the Realms has room for all sorts of half-celestial offspring.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  02:44:01  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old Man Harpell

The alignment issue aside, the Realms has room for all sorts of half-celestial offspring.
...to be hopelessly lost in. I mean, most folk don't know the details.
IMO, a tiefling's unusual features are likely to be seen as a "deformity" and suspected to be exactly what they are, but an aasimar is much more likely to be assumed "affected by some sort of special blessing or artifact" or be a metallic half-dragon (it happens, after all), etc. In both cases being a badly disguised full-blood is another obvious guess.
Elemental ancestry... in places where it's not a frequent occurence (Calimshan, etc) genasi won't even be seen as a variety of mortals, but as magical creatures - like with Liriel's little friend.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Feb 2012 :  21:50:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked the way such things were depicted in the Constantine movie. Not a big fan of Keanu Reeves, but weirdly, I like most of the movies he's starred in (I guess he's just really good at picking parts).

Anyhow, I thought Lucifer was way cool (in that flick), and Gabriel was off-the-hook (casting a woman - Tilda Swinton - in that role was brilliant - she came off very androgynous).

Strangely, I was completely unaware of the character in DC comics (his crossovers with other DC heroes are exceptionally rare) - I only learned about him well after I saw (and liked) the movie. In hindsight, one of my favorite moments in the DC-Marvel crossover was when all the 'magic types' got together to summon The Spectre. Constantine says "does anyone else think this is a bad idea?'. Two minutes later, the Spectre was killing everyone.

Good stuff.

Anyhow, that (the film) was another great portrayal of how the 'war in the heavens' isn't so cut-and-dry (black & white?) - the sides are forever-shifting, and good and evil sometimes 'play nice' with each other (when they both have something to gain).

I also liked how angels were portrayed in City of Angels - another weird case of me enjoying a movie with an actor I dislike. Anyhow, a lot of 'the rules' in that movie I was able to walk away with and apply to D&D (I love how the angels gather at sunrise and sunset, to hear 'gods music').

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Feb 2012 21:50:48
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2012 :  20:49:36  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As others have said, D&D celestials and their half-celestial and aasimar offspring don't really match up to the book you're reading.

However, having said that, there is plenty of examples of non-good and even evil aasimar in D&D. One of the first that comes to my mind is Qaida from 2e Planescape who actively bought and sold mortal souls, using her aasimar heritage to deceive others into assuming she was benevolent.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  10:24:05  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for clarifying. I was just curious about this issue.
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  10:25:48  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I really liked the way such things were depicted in the Constantine movie. Not a big fan of Keanu Reeves, but weirdly, I like most of the movies he's starred in (I guess he's just really good at picking parts).

Anyhow, I thought Lucifer was way cool (in that flick), and Gabriel was off-the-hook (casting a woman - Tilda Swinton - in that role was brilliant - she came off very androgynous).

Strangely, I was completely unaware of the character in DC comics (his crossovers with other DC heroes are exceptionally rare) - I only learned about him well after I saw (and liked) the movie. In hindsight, one of my favorite moments in the DC-Marvel crossover was when all the 'magic types' got together to summon The Spectre. Constantine says "does anyone else think this is a bad idea?'. Two minutes later, the Spectre was killing everyone.

Good stuff.

Anyhow, that (the film) was another great portrayal of how the 'war in the heavens' isn't so cut-and-dry (black & white?) - the sides are forever-shifting, and good and evil sometimes 'play nice' with each other (when they both have something to gain).

I also liked how angels were portrayed in City of Angels - another weird case of me enjoying a movie with an actor I dislike. Anyhow, a lot of 'the rules' in that movie I was able to walk away with and apply to D&D (I love how the angels gather at sunrise and sunset, to hear 'gods music').

Yeah i loved that movie too. Especially the kick ass ending.
I hope we get to see more of Constantine in DC.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000