Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Argent Eagles
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  07:35:49  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As I know I have mentioned probably a dozen times already, I am deeply enmeshed in an Elven/Avariel/Windrider campaign. I was thinking of making a breed (species?) of Giant Eagle that is either graced by Aerdrie Faenya or have been selectively bred or modified over generations of elves to serve them better as companions much like they have done with the Cooshee. I had thought, perhaps, to give them some minor spellcasting or spell-like ability. Some kind of fey-gift maybe. It's really just a germ of an idea right now so I'm looking for thoughts, suggestions, anything you feel like putting forth.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 27 Jan 2012 07:42:26

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  13:48:56  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, you've got a couple of options. Probably the easiest would be to just take the magebred template from Eberron and slap it on a giant eagle. That would get you a "superior eagle."

That template, though is I think focused more on creatures of animal intelligence, and, IIRC, giant eagles are already smarter than that. So maybe just give them a couple of hit dice and one or two randomly-determined SLA's. There's an elven horse in the Elves of Evermeet book that is much like that, you could adapt from there.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  14:39:35  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Pathfinder there's also the fey animal template, maybe that's the gift

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/fey-animal
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2012 :  16:31:57  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A very simple solution. That is probably exactly what is called for. Thank you Masters Hoondatha and Quale. Any other suggestions?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  04:35:32  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While reading through Dead Gods I happened upon a reference to the Great Conclave of Eagles. Do any Planescapers out there know of any other reference to this august assembly? Sage?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
515 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  05:29:25  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a slight aside, I was just curious, Fellfire: Besides Giant Eagles, have you contemplated using Dire Eagles (from Races of Stones) in such a campaign or such?

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2012 :  05:32:00  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not, but I will take a looksee. Thank you, Galuf.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000