Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A call to productive action on the 5E Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  02:12:12  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We can only speculate, we have no relevant data.

Even "eliminated" positions might not be any sort of relevant indicator; the editing (or whatever) tasks might have been transferred or redistributed, the editors might be off the corporate payroll/benefits and "externally" contracted on a per-project basis. WotC and Hasbro are businesses, not charities, so we cannot fault them for optimizing their business operations through reduced costs and increased profits. They're often generous with little freebies, but in the end they've got a job to do if they want to keep eating and paying their bills.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  02:13:36  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excuse me, I was just logging in on my occasional once per week log in here and suddenly find like 50 5e treads...????

There is this strange feeling I get....

Is this real? Might this mean that instead of focusing on job and kids, there are developments coming up that might force me back on reading FR novels and FR material in order to keep up with lore and development? Does this mean I might have to get back from 5 minutes FR per week to 5 hours per week plus money spent per week? Maybe even with ebooks and ehandbooks available outside the US increasing my time to be spent with 5e to 10 hours?

First I will try to find the source of all this noise... and hopefully it is serious...!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  02:48:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

We can only speculate, we have no relevant data.

Even "eliminated" positions might not be any sort of relevant indicator; the editing (or whatever) tasks might have been transferred or redistributed, the editors might be off the corporate payroll/benefits and "externally" contracted on a per-project basis. WotC and Hasbro are businesses, not charities, so we cannot fault them for optimizing their business operations through reduced costs and increased profits. They're often generous with little freebies, but in the end they've got a job to do if they want to keep eating and paying their bills.

Granted we do not have all the data.

TSR, had problem with printers - years later it was learned that TSR could not pay their printers.

WotC came in and purchased TSR, we are told mostly to save D&D - however when WotC found old material they decided to sell at list price, failure of sales of the found treasure would be sent to recycle for a fee (No consideration of reduced price or auction).

Hasbro then of course consumed WotC as an independent Company *shrugs*, the hero bought off. In general the belief is purchase was mostly based on Poke man fad (that did not last long) and they also had D&D. Hasbro it appears had a unit sales goal. It has also been claimed that if one unit failed to make target income all units were punished by a Reduction of Force no matter if that unit made a profit.

I will again repeat these in parts are claims not something I know as fact concerning Hasbro business practices.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  03:20:05  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I'm curious which is more lucrative - the game products or the novel products? There are people who profess to enjoy one or the other but not both. I happen to enjoy both.

Of course the answer is WotC-proprietary, it's definitely not in their best interests to provide sales data to the public (and to their competitors). Hasbro's treatment of other brands has always been ironfisted and noncompromising, several immensely popular brands/franchises have gone extinct while Hasbro (mis)managed them.

Still, if there is an overwhelming mismatch between revenues for the game and for the novels then perhaps it might be time to challenge the traditional marketing model and consider some sort of open license in the minor product line to stimulate (third party) access and development which greatly benefits the major product line.

I had thought that I had read on here (can't recall where or when, unfortunately) that the novels were the money maker. Though I don't believe it was said what kind of relationship the sales of the two had in proportion to each other. At the time, I took it to mean the novels brought in more profit overall and not just more units sold. I'm not sure who on here would be the best to ask, if anyone. But, I thought this info came from someone of an official nature. I really wish I could remember who said it and when.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  04:11:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, Skychrome (and all others who've come out of the woodwork the past few days).

If you build it, they will come.

As for the current topic discussion, I would guess that novels sell better, because they have a MUCH larger target-audience. Anyone looking for something to read (at an airport, with a 2hr lay-over) might buy a Drizzt novel, but only a gamer will buy a D&D sourcebook, and then only a limited cross-section of gamers. Its a niche-market.

Fluff-only setting books might attract quite a few of those novel-fans. Sourcebooks with crunch hold no interest for them.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  06:29:26  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't quite fathom any real distinction between units sold and margins per unit. Sure you can do the math and say Item A is more profitable than Item B, but revenue is revenue and quantity has a quality all of its own. Few successful companies deliberate turn away from revenue, and I don't see any conflict of interest where buying one Realms product means you can't/won't buy another Realms product. Unless Wizbro is just cutting corners, a practice I disapprove because my experience is that a company willing to cut a few corners will invariably invest great effort and resources into cutting every possible corner.

Incidentally, my understanding is that Magic is the real powerhouse-goldmine for WotC while D&D (and associated trademarks) is more of an annoying tagalong little brother. Magic is the primary reason Hasbro bought WotC, not D&D.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Jan 2012 06:39:29
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  06:45:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
skychrome

... suddenly find like 50 5e treads...????

Is this real? Might this mean that instead of focusing on job and kids, there are developments coming up that might force me back on reading FR novels and FR material in order to keep up with lore and development? Does this mean I might have to get back from 5 minutes FR per week to 5 hours per week plus money spent per week?
No need to panic and rush. The product was just tentatively announced mere days ago, it likely won't retail until ~2014 at the earliest. Plenty of time for some properly official facts and announcements to emerge from the ashes of the frenzy.

Grandmaster Sage can teach you much about defusing your impatience with a healthy dose of passive procrastination - it's amazing how productive doing nothing can be.

Why try to keep up? To-Do or To-Do not, there is no try.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Jan 2012 06:50:42
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2012 :  10:45:59  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Why try to keep up? To-Do or To-Do not, there is no try.
[/quote]

I seriously doubt that yoda would approve of this particular interpretation of his beloved maxim.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000