Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Drow as PC's vs Drow as monsters...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

188 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  07:05:02  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
When having the PC's fight drow are there separate drow monster stats that don't involve LA and all that? Or do you just roll the baddies up like a PC would?

Let's say a level 1 drow fighter.

(3.5 btw)

Edited by - Ozreth on 03 Jan 2012 07:05:30

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  08:43:59  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a general rule, I treat Drow as PC leveled creatures to show how "elite" they are compared to regular monsters.

Drow are meat to be extremely dangerous by comparison to your typical monsters.

Just not ridiculously so.

This doesn't apply to Drow Commoners, however. Only those who'd attend one of the Major Drow Schools.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 03 Jan 2012 08:44:27
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  12:09:42  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

When having the PC's fight drow are there separate drow monster stats that don't involve LA and all that? Or do you just roll the baddies up like a PC would?

Let's say a level 1 drow fighter.

(3.5 btw)

Er... Drow are stated like any other NPC.
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  13:13:31  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it is a matter of how you present them to the players. If you run a session and the PCs encounter some lvl 1 drow while on the last one they have defeated a lvl 3 goblin barbarian, it will look strange. They will laugh and joke about it, even if they understand the difference between a Drow commoner and a goblin chieftain. It condradicts the background of each race (Drow are Lethal elite and uber cool, goblins are well..goblins - with exceptions of course)

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 03 Jan 2012 13:15:10
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  13:45:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The monster entries are sufficient for most encounters. It's not necessary to write up a fully statted character sheet for every random drow - especially since the majority of them are expected to function as disposable trash your PCs can defeat. One or a few exceptional drow can be present as leaders or champions if you want to emphasize how dangerous drow can be.

It's generally sufficient to just arbitrarily assign very rough hewn stats (that is, those which provide bonus/malus modifiers), maybe one or two skills and some armor and maybe a piece of magic or an unusual weapon or distinctive combat style ... you can stat the "monster" up in greater detail if he somehow survives the encounter and suddenly becomes interesting. Promoting disposable monsters into disposable NPCs can supply motivators as well - the classic is to kickstart a stagnant adventure forward by having the survivor monster/character return with reinforcements (or his "boss") to ambush the PCs and deliver story clues or red herrings when defeated ... he might even manage to escape death again and become a memorably annoying minor recurring villain.

Think of it this way: what if the "monsters" weren't drow? Would you bother to assign detailed class, feats, skills, powers, stats, items, and background for each and every random human bandit, orc marauder, halfling pickpocket, or drunken dwarf? Does every single pirate onboard the ship require a statted character sheet, or just the Captain and a handful of officer thugs?

DMs must budget their time and keep the game rolling; don't go out of your way to cheat, but don't worry overmuch (spend precious time) trying to painstakingly fit all the trivial pieces with extreme precision. Players are easy to distract with moments of glory or a shiny new toy, they almost always overlook or forget inconsequential inconsistencies - and when they don't (usually because they feel they got pwned), they'll voice speculations and arguments and worries which an attentive and adaptive DM can shamelessly steal without having to do any real work at all.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 03 Jan 2012 14:00:03
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  15:26:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, 3.5 drow are built the same way as PCs/NPCs.

Part of the design concept of 3.0/3.5 is that everything is built on the same basic framework and utilizes the same basic rules. The Monster Manuals present several pre-made statblocks for drow, but generally speaking yes, you'd run them just like any other NPC/monster.

(You didn't ask about 4e, but I wanted to note this is one of the distinctions between the different editions--monsters in 4e are built using different rules and don't conform to abilities available to PCs. This simultaneously makes it substantially easier to use drow on the fly and somewhat harder to craft drow "leaders" or other exceptional NPCs.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Imp
Learned Scribe

231 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  17:11:59  Show Profile Send Imp a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

it is a matter of how you present them to the players. If you run a session and the PCs encounter some lvl 1 drow while on the last one they have defeated a lvl 3 goblin barbarian, it will look strange. They will laugh and joke about it, even if they understand the difference between a Drow commoner and a goblin chieftain. It condradicts the background of each race (Drow are Lethal elite and uber cool, goblins are well..goblins - with exceptions of course)

Drow must be used smarter. The goblin chieftain might be higher level, but the drow will mercilessly exploit any of your weaknesses, the favorable terrain, higher numbers and cunning tactics, all at the same time.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7970 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  17:31:35  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I personally disagree with the notion that all drow are überdeadly elites. Drow raiding parties have some special gear and some special powers which give them some advantages, they (usually) operate in a cohesive and intelligent fashion, they are trained and experienced and very good at what they do, the DM is encouraged to play them "smart" ...

But most drow are not part of those military expeditions. They are about as unexceptional as elves from the surface.

Similarly equipped, trained, and experienced military groups from other races - say, a veteran mercenary company or professional soldiers - should be no less deadly than drow if they have similar levels or hit dice, equipment, and are fighting in their "native" environments. I think that if they're the same experience level, then an orc fighter/shaman is basically equal to a drow fighter/mage, much would depend on where and what kind of duel is taking place.

So basically, I'm of the opinion that "lethal elite and über cool" is factored into the hit dice. Not into some mysterious "drow-factor". Other people's opinions will differ, of course.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  19:23:10  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Imp I never said someone should not play them smart. All the things you mentioned should be used plus the fact that the drow attending a raiding party are handpicked and (more or less) each has a role. For that reason i dont see why they should pick lvl 1 warriors, failure brings the wrath of Lloth why risk it?

From my point of view the lvl 1 drow stats are those of a commoner inside a protected drow city. Only warriors are allowed to raid, so the (universal) drow reputation as warriors wont be lowered. i believe the Drow are smart enough to use that kind of "Propaganda" in order to keep their cities safe.

In my opinion drow warriors should be elite, they have all the means to be: equipment , magic , training , knowledge and more. On the other hand they lack the numbers that goblins or other horde-like creatures posses so quality over numbers is a the only way. They live long lives so the standart drow warrior have seen much more battles than the average goblin, even human. If they werent good they should be dead, or they run a lot. I cant imagine a lvl 1 adult drow warrior , what was he doing all those years ?

I will use a small story, to share with you how i envision drow:

"The party is at a local Inn (already half-drunk) and they are boasting of their exploits. They remember the goblins scattered after they killed their chieftain. They share a laught, Toldarin the Bard has composed a song for this story, a funny one.
After he finished singing the tavern wench ask the valiant heroes to tell her a story concering drow. Toldarin's smile vanishes he remember that day...or was it night in the underdark you never know...he remembers that drow swordsman...how can he ever forget? )

That's more or less how i see Drow, not just blocks with big stats, perhaps its indeed a mysterious "drow-factor" (nice stated Ayrik) -a small cheat- but it keeps the Drow where it fits me in my Realms and my players accepts it and expects it, they dont feel cheated at all. I guess it gives them another kind of reward: "we fought drow and WON" kind off

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 03 Jan 2012 19:51:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000