Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 My new campaign: Netheril
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2011 :  13:50:23  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello all,

Last week me started a new campaign set in ancient Netheril at its prime.

The starting point will be late Silver or to Gold Era. It looks very promising and the entry session went really well, my players and i are (over)excited it seems that it will be a long campaign.

We are using 3.X edition, and for the arcanist class i found a nice modification on the net (well it looks nice at least,dont know if the mechanics works)

I dont want to focus on the Fall, i want to focus and the setting, the Realms of that ancient age and character building for long term campaign.

For that reason i am requesting any advice for sources of Realmslore. be it either books or scrolls here at the 'keep . I own both "Netheril:the empire of magic" and "How the mighty are fallen"

In addition if you ever tried something like that feel free to share

More info:

We started in an enclave of my own making (Anath-Yrvaine) the players rolled each an Arcanist - 0 level that was funny - and after the introduction and a farewell to kin and family (for those who had) they entered the enclave's academy. Looks like Harry Potter with bit of epicness for the time being altought its interesting and Fun.

The PCs spend the whole session moving around the academy and meeting classmates whom in the future may become friends/allies/antagonists/lovers etc. While doing that the players had a chance to familiarize with the setting, while hearing rumours and attending lectures ("the way of Netheril", "our glorious history", "we are the chosen race" and "everybody should give Iolaum a big hug" etc) . In truth they are a bunch of 13 year olds trying to play arcanists.

Next session they will became level 1 get their arcane marks and get attuned to the Mythalar (lvl 1 spells yay!).
Perhaps they will get to a little outdoors adventure (away from the enclave for a while) a hunting trip with a senior class in an ancient forest looking for hidden magic

Right now the only goal the PCs have is graduation from the academy with a good reputation, so each can go after his own dreams, later will see what happens

EDIT:Spelling Errors

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 28 Dec 2011 18:50:54

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  00:48:36  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netheril prior to the fall is a near-perfect place to have a fun campaign (at least for me!). You sound like a great storyteller. Keep us up to date with how things transpire?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  01:07:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've run an ancient Netheril campaign before, for one year in game (and about the same out of game). Some of my players were sent time travelling from the modern Realms, some generated Netherese characters native to the period. It was fun, very fun indeed, but it eventually got a little tiring ... there's really very few Arcane Ages books available to work with, and it's a bit of a pain to constantly convert all rules and stuff from other materials into Netheril rules.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  12:10:18  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for the kind words Matt!

Thats the main reason im concerned (Lack of sources). My players like long-term campaigns in order to get to know their characters and how the setting works, the last one was a veeeery long (5 years real world).

At this point the setting looks promising, fresh ideas and NPCs gave a big boost in interest and creativity both for the players and me. Well, i told my players that we will play as long as it is interesting, thought i dont believe this campaign will last half our old.

My players called me at work to tell me they have drawn their Sigils (arcane marks) , heh that's a good point i guess. Anyway we play tommorow, will see what happens
Go to Top of Page

Erudite
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  13:53:58  Show Profile Send Erudite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a really good campaign!!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2011 :  19:39:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a big fan of returned Nethril, so most Netherese threads rub me the wrong way. That being said, this sounds like fun, and I hope your group enjoys themselves.

ADVICE: Don't spring the 'big stuff' (like Phaerimm) on them right-away; let them enjoy being all gung-ho and pro-Netheril for awhile. I would suggest allowing them to be the first to find evidence of 'life-draining' on a field trip, which alerts the authorities, and can allow them further discoveries (through official sponsorship) on future trips. Bring the history to life for them - have them see first-hand Orcish raids, and Giantish rebellion... and perhaps a gnome in chains (eventually they will learn about the 'dark side' of Netherese life - that their lifestyle is bought at a price others pay).

And if you need a reason why this particular class is so 'lucky'... make the Headmaster the Terraseer.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Dec 2011 19:39:45
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 30 Dec 2011 :  10:04:09  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is good advice Markustay thanks,

Well fighting Phaerimms is what they expect, and i wont give them that. For now im full into world building. The good news is i have a lot of free space, the bad news is that the lack of large amounts of yummy lore.

Some Ideas: (so far)

One of the concepts is to show them the difference between the Enclave and the world below. In one area i made a miniature version of "Westeros" or "Border kingdoms" an unstable kingdom of Dukes and lords. The king rebbeled against his brother with the backing of Netherese 20 years before, and now he reigns in almost half the kingdom, which is a vassal to the Enclave now. Some lords turn to the Netherese for aid , others to other fractions (Elves? Foreign wizzards?)
At some point it will look like that: "let chill out in our flying city and look the little men fighting bellow"

Another concept as an adversary will be a renegate Arcanist, whom the people call the nighthowler. I will make more of him in the future, right now he plays the Boogeyman part
(Drink your milk little Asermont, The Nighthowler takes away children who doesnt drink their milk)
Did i mention that Asermont became the tallest arcanist ever? heh, joke

At some point there may be a conflict between the Arcanists and Druids/Rangers of the local forest. The Arcanists did something nasty (the PCs will not know that) and the proud arcanists joins the battle to exterminate the "Wild Men"

Well, Markus i thank you for the concept "gnomes in chains" .It just occured to me that the father of one the PCs is somesort of "Judge" (i think i will name his title "justicar" or something) and make him a Mentalist i think (Mental interrogation stuff). It would be nice for my good-hearted PC to see daddy doing busyness.

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 30 Dec 2011 10:05:35
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2012 :  16:43:51  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something nasty that could have happened, is if a sacred place to the druids had been on a mountain top that had been hacked for an enclave. Hopefully this leads to both some sort of upside-down gravity spell AND an adventure on the bottom of an enclave.
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  11:20:55  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats a cool idea Rhewtani, maybe its a good way for the PCs to make a pact with the "Wild Men" and avoid war and bloodshed

EDIT: To add some "epic background" to the story and the Netherese culture i am flirting with the idea to adopt some Ideas from the Warhammer 40k mythos (pre-heresy) to the setting.

What i mean with that:

Iolaum is the "Father Inventor and Protector of the Netherese" (aka the Emperor)

In order to protect the early Netherese empire (before flying cities) he had to fight against a lot of enemies (Giants, Dragons, Barbarians etc) so he chose his apprentices, looking for men and women who will aid him in his many battles. More often than not , he choose those whom had the strenght experience and the intelligent to be his apprentices. (somesort of Warrior/Wizzards) (aka the Primarchs). Those early arcanist are stuff of legends in the golden age, a warrior culture (It can be called the Old Way)

As time passes the Netherese discover more and more magical power. Warriors/Wizzards are (more or less) replaced by the new Netherese, a softer (well, they grew up in flying cities not on the battlefields) kind , with a naturan talent for magic,discovery,politics and pleasure
(The New Way ? )

The surviving early warriors (they stay alive with magic) are considered sometimes living Gods , or Dinosaurs from an old age , depends on the point of view.

Some Netherese believe Iolaum is a God , Iolaum denies it (As the Emperor did pre-heresy) still some Netherese form a secretive cult venerating Iolaum.

Religions are almost banished from the Netherese, it is not forbidden, but proper High-Netherese frowns on their followers. There are not temples in High Netherese except one in Iolaums enclave.

Things are different from place to place thought, especilly in low Netheril

What do you think?

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 03 Jan 2012 13:22:11
Go to Top of Page

_Jarlaxle_
Senior Scribe

Germany
584 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  14:13:39  Show Profile Send _Jarlaxle_ a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds really interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  15:04:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
State interference or banning of religion is never a good idea, no matter how much (magic) power the state might possess ... religions are notorious for being hard to suppress or kill unless replaced by stronger religions, and the religions in the Realms are able to call upon some clearly unambiguous interventions from their deities. I can easily imagine religions being driven underground (literally forced to the ground), followed by endless internal wars between the surface and city populations of Netheril. Then again, a war between priests and arcanists might be exciting: endless plots to strike the proudly arrogant cities out of the skies, or to free the groundlings from their dogma and superstitions.

Besides, I'd imagine Mystryl might object to having her worship outlawed ... unless your arcanists can already master 12th level spells similar in scope to Karsus's avatar they're still entirely dependant upon Mystryl's Weave as the source of their power. Or Shar's Shadow Weave, if you prefer, or even power channelled from a foreign planar source like Boccob, Bahamut, or Asmodeus - but no matter how you look at it, it's just trading oppression by one god for another. We already know how things turn out when the magic which sustains mythallars is withdrawn.

Ioulaum's half-divine status might empower him in much the same way as the Sorcerer-Kings of Athas, he may have some sort of special priests who serve him, perhaps these are basically arcanists who can receive priestly winds in place of some/all of their wizardly arcs by somehow worshipping and communing with Ioulaum (much like 2E specialty priests of Azuth)? My understanding is that an essential requirement in being promoted to divine rank is deliberate intent, a person who meets all the requirements for ascending but simply does not accept nor desire being deified will remain as an unranked mortal - your description makes it seem like Ioulaum might reject divinity on principle.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  15:26:47  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The first book of the Netheril Trilogy has something like a grand tour in Netherese controlled territory (below and above their flying cities).
- I remember reading something about "wizards riding flying clockwerks hunting people/elves/other humanoids for sport"
- Archwizards having fun with a barbarian by giving him monsters on his quest (throwing worms, dragons, wraiths and liches at him)

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  17:53:35  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey guys, thanks for the cool ideas, a battle of the enclave and a devout town/city deticated to a god sounds nice , and yours creyzi are interesting as well thanks for sharing

I have thought of some other way for the high Netherese to amuse themselves: Sky chariots being pulled by air elementals or other flying Cceatures (Santa Clauss and Rudolf lol ) where Arcanists compete with each other in a dangerous race (something like the old Formula 1 , with a lot of accidents). I will presend it as the evolved version of skimmers (where boats were pulled by water Elementals in a river or lake)

Well, about religion, i dont consider religion being banned just frowned upon , especially by arcanists (who are considering the flower of high arcanists society).
Religions exists but they are considered "The chains who hold our great Empire to the past" and "Gods and Devils, Witchcraft and Shamanism ruled during the Dark Age of Humanity" and stuff like that.
In our last session a NPC was injured pretty bad, actually a fellow apprentice of the PCs, the NPC received healing offered by priests of Mystryl because he was afraid for his life, and now he is banned from the arcane college. He will walk the path of a priest from now.
There are many arcanists who believe in Gods and have their faith hidden, otherwise it will affect badly their career ( an interesting option for the PCs too ).

Considering Mystryl...i dont know, it is exacly that notion the Netherese (progress etc) have the world full of spellcasters and magic, they do not worship her, but they aknowledge her. If she strips them from magic, magic itself will take a major blow, especially if we consider that a lot of spells and knowledge that the modern Faerunians use even today hails from Netheril.

The Netherese (well my homebrew anyway) believe more or less that Gods will stop progress, that they are the chosen race so they defy Gods,Devils,other races etc in order for them to ascend. And for they time being it works.
It is quite cool to play such an arrogant race. As i told my players i will try hard to show them the difference between playing Netherese arcanists and playing High level wizzards from modern day (1374) Waterdeep or Cormyr (for example)

In addition there is a large temple deticated to her in Iolaums own enclave (the only temple above ground) to be honest, i dont fully understand its purpsose there but i shall play along (maybe Iolaum doesnt want to offend THAT much Mystryl? i dont know)
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  19:27:41  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Netheril - Empire of Magic is on Previous Edition Downloads.
Generally, arcanists can both research spells freely and cast spontaneously. Moreover, there was a rather imbalanced spellpoint system. If it sounds overpowered - well, they were.
The downside is that their magic was mostly crude and straightforward, unlike post- Myth Drannor magic sneakyness. So much power, no one even cares about doing things efficiently. So they routinely moved mountains, but didn't have a slightest idea in which way to think to end up with spells like Virus Charm or Sammaster's Spellcaster (CotD).

quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

Well, about religion, i dont consider religion being banned just frowned upon , especially by arcanists (who are considering the flower of high arcanists society).
Religions exists but they are considered "The chains who hold our great Empire to the past" and "Gods and Devils, Witchcraft and Shamanism ruled during the Dark Age of Humanity" and stuff like that.
"Outgrown Such Silly Superstitions" These guys had delusions of godhood behind the next corner, after all.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  19:44:15  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wow. i didnt knew that sites like that existed, looks really helpfull for DMing.
I have "borrowed" the above idea or "trope" from the Warhammer 40k mythos (pre-heresy)

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 03 Jan 2012 19:48:18
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000