Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Abeir Invades or "When Dragons Attack!"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2011 :  12:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It's only a couple of adventures until my PCs storm the Nine Hells and confront Asmodeus - (see my Myrkul bit). Which is appropriately the climax of my first campaign.

Well, that's going to be all about Abeir.

I really wasn't enthusiastic about Abeir in my games and it's taken awhile for me to find a plot that I like. In this case, my plot is that I'm going to use it as a justification for lots of Skyrim-esque Dragonslaying!

My idea is basically this, the PCs are going to be encountering ever larger numbers of dragons in their adventures. They've slain only a few in previous campaigns because, in my games, I treat dragons as mostly nonthreatening entities. You have to be an idiot to seek them out and it's only rarely they're violent to people who don't.

Now? They're attacking settlements and leading small armies of Dragonborn and human worshipers. Of course, this is because the dragons of Abeir are coming to Toril. I'm not sure whether to keep 1/4th of the planet having been switched or not. However, like War of the Worlds, Abeir is dying and the dragons intend to make this world their own.

The trick is, of course, not to make it ridiculous since the PCs are JUST about high enough level that they can regularly slay dragons without it being ridiculous. If you insert a huge number of dragons to the Realms, I'm fairly sure that it would just realistically be a curb stomp battle of the rest of the world.

For that, I'm thinking of either very only very small/irregular portals to Abeir are possible or Abeir is already kaput and the 1/4th transported is all that's ever coming.

So I'm trying to figure out how to insert an invasion/colonization the PCs can stop without ruining the world completely. Admittedly, a part of me is giddily contemplating the dragons attacking Netheril and Thay first since both are the most powerful surviving nations.

Really, they do have a beat down coming.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2011 :  15:37:20  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Could you borrow a plot threat from WoT and have the dragons that are already there be akin to "The Forerunners" who are preparing/seeking a way to open a larger, more stable portal to allow more of their bretheren to join them?

It might make them feel the threat more keenly without 'instantaneous overpopulation' issues cropping up or perhaps serve as a bit of a side adventure to foil the portal plot.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2011 :  15:47:10  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was considering that or the local dragons, which are nearly extinct, might be allies against their psychotic cousins.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  12:28:18  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's my basic ideas, which I'd love to share with you all. Take note they're pretty rough.

* The Main Villain: On Abeir (the planet) there's an avatar of Tiamat-like Chosen who can serve as the main villain, basically the uncontested ruler of the planet. She's a substantial chunk of Tiamat's power but mortal and capable of being slain by the PCs. Maybe she's an Exarch. The PCs can and will, possibly head to Abeir (the planet) and slay the monster.

* Primordials: The reason there's a vast immigration from Abeir (the planet) to Returned Abeir is because the planet's Primordials are all bound underneath the soil of the world by the original dragons (possibly which became the Draconic Pantheon). The Spellplague and Elemental Chaos has resulted in these spells weakening. The planet will literally tear itself apart in a few years.

* Maztica and Returned Abeir: Maztica was switched with Returned Abeir NOT because of the Spellplague. In fact, it was a deliberate act of the Abeir dragons who were creating a literal beach-head on Toril so they could immigrate and eventually conquer Toril. Sadly, it's required the whole of their magical power to do it and they can only move in small parts now.

(This would mean the human kingdoms of Returned Abeir are doomed).

* Earth Shattering Kaboom: The climax of the campaign might be the slaying of the Tiamat avatar, but the resulting energies thereof will release the Primordials on Abeir and cause the planet to explode. Why? Because planets blowing up is awesome. Maztica might get returned to Toril though by divine fiat. Why? Because I don't want to see it detonated with the rest of Abeir.

* Alliance with the Good Dragons: The PCs might attempt to make an alliance with Faerun's good dragons to work against the Abeir dragons. I'm inclined to think all of the dragons on Abeir are jerks, even the good dragons. Simultaneously, the Abeir dragons will attempt to make an alliance with the Cult of the Dragon and the evil dragons of Faerun.

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 26 Dec 2011 12:46:51
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  12:45:50  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Wolfhound75

Could you borrow a plot threat from WoT and have the dragons that are already there be akin to "The Forerunners" who are preparing/seeking a way to open a larger, more stable portal to allow more of their bretheren to join them?
Eh? Do you refer to the Forerunners who overthrew their Illithid oppressors and evolved into the Gith races? Githyanki have a special alliance with red dragons, otherwise (as far as I know) the Giths and dragonkind have little to do with each other in canon. In addition, neither species really requires much use of planar portals.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 26 Dec 2011 12:48:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  14:13:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

* Alliance with the Good Dragons: The PCs might attempt to make an alliance with Faerun's good dragons to work against the Abeir dragons. I'm inclined to think all of the dragons on Abeir are jerks, even the good dragons. Simultaneously, the Abeir dragons will attempt to make an alliance with the Cult of the Dragon and the evil dragons of Faerun.

I should expect that some of Faerūn's evil dragons would oppose this invasion, themselves -- sort of a "this is MY territory -- move on or die" type of thing.

Wouldn't it be a grand bit of fun if the key to opposing this invasion, either in just one sector or perhaps entirely, is dependent on getting one powerful evil dragon to join in the fight? And said evil dragon wants something for his trouble -- because he could just ward his own territory, of course, and not have to go any further out of his way than that. Getting him to play a major part in opposing the invasion will require a little favor of the PCs...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 26 Dec 2011 14:17:42
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  15:51:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

I should expect that some of Faerūn's evil dragons would oppose this invasion, themselves -- sort of a "this is MY territory -- move on or die" type of thing.
Or, it could be played somewhat like the "ancient pact" that was once again forcibly brought into effect as an alliance between some of the chromatics and metallics on Krynn, when the alien dragons invaded and attempted to establish their own domains during the Fifth Age.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  17:26:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agree with both Wooly and Sage - we have evidence of all dragons joining forces when there is a common threat (see Elminster's Daughter for one example).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2011 :  21:56:27  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some other fun ideas I've had:

* The Dragon Homeland: The Dragons might actually bargain for a nation in the lands of Faerun now that they've been kicked around for so very long. While it seems probable to stick this way far off, an evil part of me thinks it might be interesting to stick this right in the heart of Faerun. Possibly by the Dragons insisting on the Thunder Peaks of Cormyr or the kingdom of Bloodstone since it's completely gone to hell.

* Evil versus Evil: A cool thing that the PCs might actually get involved in the periphery of is that the Abeir Dragons may actually decide to take on one of the major evil empires of Faerun first. The Netherse or Thay are both powers that dwarf the traditional good-guy ones so they pose the most threat to their dominion.

How will this involve the PCs?

Ever remember the adventure "Steelheart" from Dungeon magazine? It's a LONG LONG time ago but it had an alliance between the Cult of the Dragon and the Zhents proposed that the PCs could smash to hell. I have the hilarious idea the PCs might do the same between the Abeir and the Netherese - unwittingly triggering an all out war between the two empires.

A part of me thinks it'd be nice to see the Netherese FINALLY suffer some serious reversals. I wonder who would win in the hypothetical match-up.

* The Church of Bahamut: The PCs may get involved with this group as intermediaries. I am going to be illustrating its become a much larger and more powerful church over the past century due to its place in the Second Triad.

Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  16:11:31  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Ayrik
I was referring to the series by Robert Jordan and suggesting he borrow a plot thread for his campaign. WoT = Wheel of Time. The Seanchan sent a vanguard force to 'prepare the way' for 'the return' when they would return to the main lands and reconquer them - again rejoining them to their empire which descended from the armies Artur Hawkwing had sent to explore the world and which conquered the native peoples of the lands they found.

Hmm...when phrased that way gives an interesting thought for some Maztica meyhem....

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2012 :  22:01:20  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, my PCs have done it again.

They've fully started a war between Netheril and Returned Abeir.

Forget all the other plans.

I have no idea how this is going to end.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000