Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Transgenderism in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  00:22:03  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Delete Topic
The real world is filled with cultures that have transgendered people such as Barache in (some?) Amerindian culture(s). Or the Hijra of India and the surrounding area. The realms lack this, that I am aware of, presumably because of the having to be clean cut and presentable, or the fact that its just never come up.

Has Ed ever mentioned this? Aside from male followers of Eilistraee becoming female via divine magic...

Where do you imagine transgendered people fitting in in the realms? Where would they be accepted, or scorned? Presumably access to gender shifting magic is limited and inaccessible to most of the population.

I've always imagined Sharess as being a deity that would be especially welcoming of those who are transgendered, and giving divine boons by way of gender change in some of her faithful.

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  01:13:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Change dance, should not be considered transgender in my opinion. Sex change by choice or curse, transform a person. Transgender appears to be genetic item that female born into male body or male born into the female body. Best explanation is mind different then body.

It also should be stressed Real World does not apply the Realms World.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  02:16:32  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message
Could you reply to the topic, or not at all?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  02:19:03  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
Sir I did so. Transgender likely has no meaning in the Realms, Earth does not matter.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2011 :  03:37:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Err... this is a fairly "loaded" subject topic. And coming off the heals of such other [often] hotly contest topics -- like "Gay Marriage in the Realms" and "Drow Incest" -- I think it might be more appropriate for me to temporarily seal this scroll and discuss its future with the other Mods/Admin before we continue.

More to come.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000