Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Most Interesting (Coolest) Sobriquet
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  12:42:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:

Who do you think has the most interesting epithet or title?

*I'm not sure if Melegaunt's sobriquet was widely known when he was alive, but Vala once called him that in The Summoning. Maybe it's only used by the Vasaan tribe that he rescued (or tricked to become his servants).

Choices:

Telamont Tanthul – The Most High / The Shadowking
Ilira Nathalan – Fox-at-Twilight
Rivalen Tanthul – The Nightseer / Prince of Shade
Dmitra Flass – The First Princess of Thay
Aumvor – The Undying
Elminster Aumar – Old Mage / The Sage of Shadowdale
Vhostym – The Sojourner
Larloch – The Shadow King
Alassra Shentrantra Silverhand – The Simbul / Witch-Queen of Aglarond
Melegaunt Tanthul – Great One*
Malik – The Seraph of Lies
Other

(Anonymous Vote)

Every beginning has an end.

Edited by - Dennis on 20 Sep 2011 12:43:16

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  12:46:47  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Others who didn't make it in the choices but are interesting nonetheless: [If only the number of choices is increased to 24...]

Priamon Rakesk – Frostrune
Trobriand – The Metal Mage
Halaster Blackcloak – The Mad-Mage of Undermountain
Mirt – The Moneylender
Khelben Arunsun – The Blackstaff
Storm Silverhand – Bard of Shadowdale
Qilu้ Veladorn – The Dark Sister

----------------------

Those who know me would find my choice predictable: Telamont Tanthul. He could have chosen Emperor, which is okay, even King. But I think “The Most High” is the best, because it connotes “power over everything and everyone.”

I also like Fox-at-Twilight (though ironically, not the novels where she appeared). My namesake (aka Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho) is a demon fox.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  14:07:19  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Others who didn't make it in the choices but are interesting nonetheless: [If only the number of choices is increased to 24...]

Priamon Rakesk – Frostrune
Trobriand – The Metal Mage
Halaster Blackcloak – The Mad-Mage of Undermountain
Mirt – The Moneylender
Khelben Arunsun – The Blackstaff
Storm Silverhand – Bard of Shadowdale
Qilu้ Veladorn – The Dark Sister

----------------------

Those who know me would find my choice predictable: Telamont Tanthul. He could have chosen Emperor, which is okay, even King. But I think “The Most High” is the best, because it connotes “power over everything and everyone.”

I also like Fox-at-Twilight (though ironically, not the novels where she appeared). My namesake (aka Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho) is a demon fox.

Frankly I am shocked that "Rumblebelly" is not on here for Regis

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  14:44:36  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I didn't know, because I don't read RAS's novels. Only The Pirate King, but I guess that doesn't count since I didn't finish it.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  14:47:06  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't know, because I don't read RAS's novels. Only The Pirate King, but I guess that doesn't count since I didn't finish it.

Not a fan?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  14:56:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

He has strong proclivity to fighters. Or maybe his publishers just want him to feature fighters as the main characters. I don't like fighters, as they tend to bore me. I have nothing against RAS's style, if The Pirate King is any indication. And his depiction of spellcasters is okay as well. But all things considered, the nearly ceaseless swordplay never fails to shut my eyes.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  14:59:39  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

He has strong proclivity to fighters. Or maybe his publishers just want him to feature fighters as the main characters. I don't like fighters, as they tend to bore me. I have nothing against RAS's style, if The Pirate King is any indication. And his depiction of spellcasters is okay as well. But all things considered, the nearly ceaseless swordplay never fails to shut my eyes.

This is true, and i enjoyed his earlier realms novels much more. I have yet to read the Transitions Trilogy because i had to force myself to finsh the Hunter's Blade Trilogy. His stuff seems to be very forced nowadays: write 1 realms book a year even if the story is not developed.

Edited by - Artemas Entreri on 20 Sep 2011 15:00:19
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  15:07:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Not an FR character, but...

"Moaning" Myrtle just sounds weird, funny, and not to mention it connotes something inappropriate for kids.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:17:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not an FR character, but...

"Moaning" Myrtle just sounds weird, funny, and not to mention it connotes something inappropriate for kids.

Wait a second. I think i remember this character from my underground copy of Calimport Nights

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:36:17  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

She's a character from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. The annoying ghost in the bathroom.

Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:45:17  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go for Malik's one, that Seraph of Lies title really is a clear reflection of himself but somehow, I think the word seraph is a sweet irony on his own persona.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 20 Sep 2011 16:46:20
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:47:16  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

She's a character from J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series. The annoying ghost in the bathroom.

She would also make a great Garbage Pail Kid

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:47:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always liked Mirakles of the Elastic Tendon, sometimes called the Unhamstringable. He was in a Zork novel.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:53:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:54:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've always liked Mirakles of the Elastic Tendon, sometimes called the Unhamstringable. He was in a Zork novel.

A gymnast?! Or Mr. Fantastic's son?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  16:58:56  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thelonius

I'd go for Malik's one, that Seraph of Lies title really is a clear reflection of himself but somehow, I think the word seraph is a sweet irony on his own persona.

I think that's the point of Troy Denning or whoever created that epithet. Malik's life was full of ironies. A man who would love to lie to save his arse, even if it would kill his "friends," but was cursed to always speak the truth and nothing but the truth.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  17:06:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

He's the love-child of Mr. Fantastic and Plastic Man.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2011 :  17:21:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

He's the love-child of Mr. Fantastic and Plastic Man.

You both got me really curious that I actually googled it and read the zork library.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  13:00:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I think Vhostym's epithet is ironic. It only means "The Traveler," a tame/gentle word to be associated with someone who destroyed worlds at whim.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Sep 2011 13:04:04
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  13:05:29  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think Vhostym's epithet's is ironic. It only means "The Traveler," a tame/gentle word to be associated with someone who destroyed worlds at whim.

That's like calling Norrin Radd the "Silver Surfer", when he should be called "The laser Marker", cause he allowed a nuclear bomb (Galactus) to destroy a whole planet

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  13:18:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Rivalen's sobriquet really sounds effeminate, doesn't it? Maybe because most seers are females.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  15:50:01  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rivalen's sobriquet really sounds effeminate, doesn't it? Maybe because most seers are females.

Darcassan the Farseer would roll in his tomb with that comment (or his floor, whatever)

Edit: And come to think of it, Alaundo too!

Edited by - Kilvan on 21 Sep 2011 15:51:28
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  16:34:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

quote:

Darcassan the Farseer would roll in his tomb with that comment (or his floor, whatever)

Edit: And come to think of it, Alaundo too!

Hence, the word most. But yes, Darcassan and Alaundo would roll in their tombs if they hear that. So don't tell them.

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Sep 2011 16:36:11
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  17:02:50  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I MIGHT buy your preference for "Most High" being cool, Dennis, despite its built-in arrogance...if it weren't for the fact that it's been used so often in the Realms, both by top-ranking clergy and local city-state rulers, that it's almost like saying "Lord" or "King."
So it MIGHT have been cool several thousand years BEFORE Telamont came along.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  19:28:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

I MIGHT buy your preference for "Most High" being cool, Dennis, despite its built-in arrogance...if it weren't for the fact that it's been used so often in the Realms, both by top-ranking clergy and local city-state rulers, that it's almost like saying "Lord" or "King."
love,
THO

A high ranking priest is A Most High. A high ranking city ruler is A Most High. Because THE Most High is Telamont Tanthul. Same goes to Mirt. There are thousands---perhaps even millions---of moneylenders in the Realms. But THE Moneylender is Mirt and he alone.

Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  19:32:22  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love,
THO

A high ranking priest is A Most High. A high ranking city ruler is A Most High. Because THE Most High is Telamont Tanthul. Same goes to Mirt. There are thousands---perhaps even millions---of moneylenders in the Realms. But THE Moneylender is Mirt and he alone.

I once let a member of our adventuring party borrow some gold, so I suppose that character of mine is a moneylender too

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  19:42:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I propose that Trobriand's epithet be changed to "The Mage of Magnetism." Sounds Magneto-ish, but a fine improvement.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  19:48:57  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could also add: The Mage of Magnetism, welcome to die! (kudos if you get that reference)
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  19:56:29  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

You could also add: The Mage of Magnetism, welcome to die! (kudos if you get that reference)

Master of magnet! Roawr!

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  19:56:30  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Or The Mage of Magnetism, welcome to play chess. (Kudos if you get that reference.)

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2011 :  20:04:43  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope it is not referencing X3 ending... A puppy dies everytime this movie is mentionned (damn, I killed another one myself)

Edit: Ugh, THAT was my 500th post? Not very glorious...

Edited by - Kilvan on 21 Sep 2011 20:10:55
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000