Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Campaign in Cormyr
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ogarrr
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  22:31:52  Show Profile Send Ogarrr a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hey all, new to the forum but I've read a few posts and it seems great!

Now I'm running a 4e campaign in Cormyr, the first time I've really tangled with the FR and being a 4e player (we moved from warhammer to this in 2008 a bit so my mates can be meta gamers on occasion) Im using the 4e campaign and player guides.
What I'd like to ask is for some constructive criticism on what I've got so far, it's kind of an inquisition campaign very much based of my experiences with the grimdark games workshop settings.
So far after one session my PCs who are unfamiliar with the realm were transported from my previous setting (homebrew) to Cormyr, Hullack forest to be precise. The arrived right in the middle of an orc encampment, much hilarity ensued as some suicide goblins did quite a bit of damage to the party. I had them find a letter from Erzoured who is in league with Netheril, although they don't know that as he used an AKA, to an orc chieftain inciting an invasion on Arabel. The Pcs then began to travel the 50 miles to Arabel, stopping in an inn on the way. Here's where my session ended, with a group of dark ones attempting to kidnap them to be sacrificed by the innkeeper to Shar. Some inquisitors arrived, trying to arrest the innkeeper proceeding in a tavern brawl between some Shadar Kai and the PCs and inquisitors.

Here's where I need the CC.
The inquisitors are in the process of torturing the barman for info, then they will tell the PCs of a cave below the tavern, standard stuff. In here are Shar cultists and a sacrifice room with a man they had talked to the night before slaughtered. They will fight an orc solo who is an emissary from the tribes in the thunder peaks and find a merchant who is secretly a Shar cultist in one of the cages. Releasing him will lead to more cultist shenanigans in Arabel.
the plan is to have the PCs slowly uncover a network of Shaarists and then work with Erzoured, seemingly a lawful good paladin.
This will lead them to Suzail where they will meet the decrepit king Foril under Erzoured's sway, and the heroic Irvel. The plan here is to reveal Erzoured as a shade, and to have Foril banish Irvel (allied to the PCs now) and the PCs to the Dragon Coast. Then Foril will die, leading to a civil war that the PCs will be commanders in. Of course this is all Netherese plotting to make Cormyr a weakened nation ripe for attacking.

That's about as far ahead as i have thought, and it's not as fleshed out as I would like towards the middle and end, like how the PCs join Irvel etc. This is of course counting on the PCs joining Irvel which may not happen.
Thanks for reading this ridiculously long post, and C&C would be fantastic.

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  23:02:31  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ogarrr, welcome to Candlekeep, and welcome to the Forgotten Realms. There are people here who are subject-matter experts on Corymr. We'll have to get Brian Cortijo in on this.
Go to Top of Page

Ogarrr
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  23:05:38  Show Profile Send Ogarrr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers mate, that's why I posted, figured the experts would be here! It's kind of interesting, my first foray into the realms was with Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance as an 11 year old and also the first 3 legend of Drizzt books, I had no ideas what D&D was or what the Forgotten Realms were at the time. Cormyr was pretty much chosen by accident as a place i was going to set my campaign in, and luckily there is a lot of information on the place!

Edited by - Ogarrr on 28 Nov 2011 23:05:57
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  23:20:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A week ago I would say Inquisitors don't sound much like Cormyr, but after reading (some) of Elminster Must Die (which takes place in the 4e era), I could see an elite branch of the High Knights serving in this capacity.

I love the Warhammer setting myself, and tried to bring some of its feel into my Realms - Well met, Ogarr, and welcome to Candlekeep.

What are you specifically looking for help with?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 28 Nov 2011 23:24:07
Go to Top of Page

Ogarrr
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2011 :  23:34:59  Show Profile Send Ogarrr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met! Essentially some help on working my campaign and ideas into something that'd make a good story with a realms flavour. What works, what doesn't work etc.
I would agree with you with Cormyr being more of a place for noble knights etc. However after reading background the stuff on Wheloon caught my eye. This reminded me of Mordheim in the Warhammer fluff, another game that I have played with my mates, and the whole Shar cultist thing came into being. Plus the whole threatening, yet not actively conquering Empire to the north really appeals to me, an empire trying to take over Cormyr via cults with the PCs and inquisitors rooting out these cults.

Edited by - Ogarrr on 28 Nov 2011 23:35:50
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  01:18:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ogarr, you may find some additional useful assistance in this scroll.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  04:28:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wheloon as Mordheim... I like it.

A good nickname for the Inquisitor (Justicar?) High Knights would be the Knight-hunters - a play on words for 'Night' hunters, with 'night' representing darkness (they hunt the night... itself). Gives them a bit of a Batman feel. If you really wanted to give them a WH Witch-Hunter tone, you could give them Gondsmen Gunnes, but I'd just stick with repeating (Dokyu) hand-crossbrows (quarrels silver-tipped with cold iron cores, mounted on a Yew shaft with raven feathers, dipped in holy water). Maybe some throwing stars, to represent the stars in the night sky (for both Mystra and Selune)... I kinda dug the cross-ones in the movie Priest.

If you go all the way with the Mordheim thing, you could use the post-spellplague Realms as Mad-max style campaign (in The North - obviously you have already set Cormyr as a 'bastion of faith' and light). You could also use the scene from the second Indiana Jones movie, and have the Sharists pull the still-beating hearts out of a few sacrifices. Have shadows peel themselves off the walls and floor (remember the ending of the movie Ghost?), and come and hungrily devour the heart (actually, its life-force - shadows strive to snuff-out any light).

I am just thinking that if you are going to portray Cormyr as a monolithic theocracy (or its polytheistic equivalent), then there should be some pretty horrific reasons to have pushed them that far.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Nov 2011 04:49:30
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  11:39:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here is the Cormyr pdf.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ogarrr
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  13:50:59  Show Profile Send Ogarrr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers lads! I do like the idea of these knight-hunters, sounds pretty awesome. I just love all things grim-dark and my reasoning for Cormyr becoming so would be King Foril being under the influence of Erzoured, a kind of Grima Wormtongue but more bad-ass. The Purple Dragons, loyal to Irvel now would have adapted to deal with the Sharists now poisoning the country. You've given some awesome ideas for how the cultists can work, which would be especially aberrent to the lawful good palladin. I'm depicting Cormyr as kind of a cross between Bretonnia, with all the knightly stuff and the Empire with their corrupt nobles and cultists all over the place.
The Cormyr pdf is very, very useful. As is that MAHUSIVE list of sources on the place, cheers!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  21:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, but I have so much to say. Sadly, I've already written it and turned it over to WotC, so I can't reveal anything about how I might deal with this situation until after they publish the relevant article(s).

I will say that by the end of January, you should have an awful lot of information on things to do in Cormyr, and a dozen different ways to tweak this campaign in any direction you see fit.

Go to Top of Page

Ogarrr
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2011 :  21:38:54  Show Profile Send Ogarrr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to it Garen ^^. But can't we get a sneak peak? Like a little teensy weensy one?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  03:51:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I dont know if you like novels. The Last two Elminster novels are set in the 4E Cormyr. Lots of stuff going on.

Now I am really looking forward to January.

Question will I be needing to re-subsribe to DDI for the Cormyrlore Garan?

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 30 Nov 2011 03:52:43
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  16:23:47  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ogarrr

Looking forward to it Garen ^^. But can't we get a sneak peak? Like a little teensy weensy one?
As of right now, the answer is "no." I will try and see if the good folks at WotC will let me tease anything, but very likely, we'll just have to wait until the monthly content calendar comes out before I can say anything at all.

I may have said too much already...
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  16:31:41  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I dont know if you like novels. The Last two Elminster novels are set in the 4E Cormyr. Lots of stuff going on.

Now I am really looking forward to January.

Question will I be needing to re-subsribe to DDI for the Cormyrlore Garan?
As far as I know, all upcoming content (except for excerpts, previews, and marketing material) is behind the pay wall, and available only to subscribers. Given the amount of stuff I know is coming, I would strongly suggest giving a one-month subscription serious consideration for January (assuming the schedule remains the same).

Trust me: I'll be letting folks know about this stuff as soon as I have more information that I'm actually allowed to share.
Go to Top of Page

Ogarrr
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2011 :  21:02:17  Show Profile Send Ogarrr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well looks like I'll be getting a subscription for January. Anything Cormyr is great in my books, that and Baldur's Gate.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2011 :  00:16:14  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ogarrr

Well looks like I'll be getting a subscription for January.
Excellent, sir! Please take your ticket over to the register.

I get the feeling that once folks see what's coming in January for the Realms, you won't be the only person considering a subscription. But more on that later.

Edited by - Garen Thal on 01 Dec 2011 00:16:42
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2011 :  19:41:51  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are tempting me as well... I may have to start two subscriptions when I get my check. Why do I feel like someone is going to ask me to "sign in blood"?

Anyhow, I got a question for you GT - I lost track of the lineage procession from 3e to 4e - Tanalasta's child was Azoun V, right? What was the progression from him to the current King? I'm fairly certain none of this is NDA.

Here's another while I am asking - how old was the Crown Prince - Azoun IV's son - when he died?

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Dec 2011 19:44:08
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2011 :  19:54:54  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You are tempting me as well... I may have to start two subscriptions when I get my check. Why do I feel like someone is going to ask me to "sign in blood"?

quote:
Anyhow, I got a question for you GT - I lost track of the lineage procession from 3e to 4e - Tanalasta's child was Azoun V, right? What was the progression from him to the current King? I'm fairly certain none of this is NDA.
Tanalasta's son was Azoun V. Azoun V's son is the current (1479DR) monarch, King Foril.
quote:
Here's another while I am asking - how old was the Crown Prince - Azoun IV's son - when he died?
Crown Prince Foril (for whom the current king is named) was killed at the age of two.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread-hijacking.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2011 :  18:45:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Foril is pretty old then, eh? Does he have any heirs?

And so I don't jack this thread any further (why did "Pimp My Thread" just pop into my head? Can we do a reality show like that? ), I have another idea that might work in your 'secret threats all around us' style campaign. How about Shadogangers?

You see, during the past century, The Shadovar has been very busy creating new ways to infiltrate the surrounding Realms and exert their will. After wiping-out another (formerly) Phaerimm-controlled Illithid nest under Anauroch, they subverted the Doppplegangers that were under Mind-Flayer influence - for the same reasons the Illithid had them; to spy on people. They found that when they used the same Shade-producing rituals on the Dopplegangers that they used to create themselves, they had the perfect servants. The Shifter's unique abilities allowed them to ignore the drawbacks because they could hide their shadowy nature. These creatures have been replacing high-ranking officials in several governments, and until recently, have gone completely undetected; their umbral-infused metabolism throws-off normal (Arcane) magical detection.

Unknown to the Shades themselves, the Illithids experiments on the Dopplegangers were far more effective then anyone could have guessed, and several Doppleflayers were created. These horrors are the ultimate predator, able to completely subsume the minds of their intended victims, and change into a variety of many-tentacled forms. They are considered psionic 'wild talents', and can perfectly mimic anyone they have consumed. Nearly all of these managed to get free when the Shades attacked the Illithids. However, they do not take the form of any one person for more then a few days - their own own unstable nature has given them a certain degree of feralness, and they cannot control their baser instincts for very long. In other words, their hunger gets the best of them.

One additional aberration was created by this experimentation - the Mindganger. It was the one Doppleflayer that did not escape, and instead took the form of a normal Shifter, all of whom underwent the Shade-process. This unique creature is a crossbread Illithid/Doppleganger with the Shade template, has enormous (secret) psionic capabilities, and hides itself amongst the normal servants of the Shades. However, it is not controlled like the others, and can itself exert control over any or all of the other Shadogangers (and maybe the other Doppleflayers as well, who avoid it). Its ultimate goal is to take control of the city of Shade itself, and become the new Telemont.

Recently, one was accidentally discovered in Cormyr, as a member of the Huntsilver family, when it was killed by a magical backlash from a plaguemarred device. After this discovery so close to the Royal family, the War Wizards managed to root-out three more, and the secret is out. These Shade-Dopplegangers have been coined 'Night Shifters' by the people of The Forest Kingdom, who have now become even more paranoid then before.

I hope you can use some of that.

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Dec 2011 18:53:25
Go to Top of Page

Ogarrr
Acolyte

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2011 :  20:52:13  Show Profile Send Ogarrr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
King Foril has a son named Irvel and Irvel has two children in their twenties I believe. There is also King Foril's nephew, the son of his deceased older brother, Erzoured who wants the crown really badly.

That sounds awesome, love Mind Flayers, Doppelgangers and shades so that's a perfect combo!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000