Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Did Ao create the other planes?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

perm
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  15:09:49  Show Profile Send perm a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Was just reading the creation story of the realms, and it mentioned that selune reached into the plane of fire to get light. Who created that plane?

Eldacar
Senior Scribe

438 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  15:32:37  Show Profile Send Eldacar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you're using the Great Wheel cosmology, then the Inner Plane was around before Ao created the crystal sphere containing Realmspace (as far as I know off the top of my head).

If you're using the Great Tree cosmology, then Ao created it along with all the other planes.

If you're using 4E, I would have no idea, since I neither play it nor keep up with any changes it makes to the lore.

"The Wild Mages I have met exhibit a startling disregard for common sense, and are often meddling with powers far beyond their own control." ~Volo
"Not unlike a certain travelogue author with whom I am unfortunately acquainted." ~Elminster
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  15:35:13  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eldacar

If you're using the Great Wheel cosmology, then the Inner Plane was around before Ao created the crystal sphere containing Realmspace (as far as I know off the top of my head).

If you're using the Great Tree cosmology, then Ao created it along with all the other planes.

If you're using 4E, I would have no idea, since I neither play it nor keep up with any changes it makes to the lore.

This is what drives me crazy about all of the editions out there. Why would you need to bother to change how the universe was created just because you want to change the way D&D players roll dice?

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  15:35:53  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Perhaps the higher being whom Ao serves and simply refers to as "Master."

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  16:01:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Oh-mighty dollar?

And I agree with Entreri 100%, but I don't want any more threads to go down the toilet. I will just add that although change is not a bad thing, changing things just because you can IS a bad thing. The only thing that accomplishes is making folks angry.

The Graet Tree was stupid, not in-and-of itself, but because it served no purpose. They attempted to divorce the multitude of D&D settings from each other at the start of 3e, but then spent the rest of its run back-filling in all the old lore and re-connecting it all. I think Eberron may have been the crux of that problem (because of its setting-specific cosmology), but obviously that is just a shot in the dark.

And in it's defense, if anything, I think 4e tried to bring everything back around, and now they are catching flak for it. You can't sew a multiverse back together without leaving a few scars.

As for the OP, I think the answer in any edition is NO, plain and simple. Even if Ao created the plane of fire for the Forgotten Realms, he did NOT create it for every other world. And as for the Outer Planes, just NO. The Tree contained versions of the Elemental planes, and Divine Domains, and that's it. The Outer Planes existed outside of what Ao created, which was the Sphere of Realmspace.

Obviously, thanks to 3e lore, we now have to assume that each crystal sphere has its own 'local neighborhood' of planes that are part of the sphere, yet existing outside of that sphere's material plane. Complicated, I know - once again I have to blame Eberron.

I look at it like this: the mini-elemental planes that are linked to those spheres that have 'private' ones are really still part of the greater plane, but is closed to prime folk outside the sphere (not really - I just consider these as very isolated pieces of those planes). These 'mini-planes' are probably like little bubbles that are 'blown-out' of the greater plane by an Over-power when a Crystal Sphere is created, so they are still connected (like a blister), but the passage is narrow. This is why you can - for the most part - find the same types of beings in these planes as you do in the 'parent plane'. Just my take is all.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Nov 2011 16:05:07
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  16:06:52  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

The Oh-mighty dollar?

And I agree with Entreri 100%, but I don't want any more threads to go down the toilet. I will just add that although change is not a bad thing, changing things just because you can IS a bad thing. The only thing that accomplishes is making folks angry.

The Graet Tree was stupid, not in-and-of itself, but because it served no purpose. They attempted to divorce the multitude of D&D settings from each other at the start of 3e, but then spent the rest of its run back-filling in all the old lore and re-connecting it all. I think Eberron may have been the crux of that problem (because of its setting-specific cosmology), but obviously that is just a shot in the dark.

And in it's defense, if anything, I think 4e tried to bring everything back around, and now they are catching flak for it. You can't sew a multiverse back together without leaving a few scars.

As for the OP, I think the answer in any edition is NO, plain and simple. Even if Ao created the plane of fire for the Forgotten Realms, he did NOT create it for every other world. And as for the Outer Planes, just NO. The Tree contained versions of the Elemental planes, and Divine Domains, and that's it. The Outer Planes existed outside of what Ao created, which was the Sphere of Realmspace.

Obviously, thanks to 3e lore, we now have to assume that each crystal sphere has its own 'local neighborhood' of planes that are part of the sphere, yet existing outside of that sphere's material plane. Complicated, I know - once again I have to blame Eberron.

I look at it like this: the mini-elemental planes that are linked to those spheres that have 'private' ones are really still part of the greater plane, but is closed to folks outside the plane (not really - I just consider these as very isolated pieces of those planes, that are not as central to the greater plane, and therefor ignored by most). These 'mini-planes' are probably like little bubbles that are 'blown-out' of the greater plane by an Over-power when a Crystal Sphere is created, so they are still connected (like a blister), but the passage is narrow. This is why you can - for the most part - find the same types of beings in these planes as you do in the 'parent plane'. Just my take is all.

LOL i'm not trying to turn this into an Edition-Bashing thread. Besides the power of the $$$, it just never made sense to me. I understand how many players like the newer editions, especially if that is the current edition being used when you jump into roleplaying. I don't play sessions anymore but i still think of everything D&D related in 2nd Ed Terms

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  16:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sometimes I'm glad I don't play D&D....
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  23:37:37  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ao seems to have been quietly shuffled away anyhow, post-2E Realmslore hardly mentions Ao at all and would seemingly like to pretend he doesn't exist. As far as I'm aware, Ao isn't even mentioned in 4E, even though his absence seems conspicuous to me given that events like the Spellplague are exactly the sort of things he involved himself with in the 1E-to-2E Time of Troubles.

The prologue and epilogue portions within the Avatar trilogy briefly demonstrate that Ao's interventions served the interests of other powers, although it seemed unclear to me whether they are his superiors or his overgod peers from neighbouring regions.

It's interesting to note that creation myths change as their believers change. Call it a retcon or rewritten history or whatever, but the fact is that myth cannot be taken as fact.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  01:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*grumble about destructive retcons and irreconcilability of planar canon between multiple editions of ostensibly the same setting*

I won't say much more, because I have perhaps too strong of an opinion on this issue, and the internet will let me get myself in trouble. ;)

As for the original question: Ao created FR and its solar system, with possibly a little more beyond that on the Material plane, but had zero to do with any of the other planes. He's the posterchild single sphere overgod.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

perm
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2011 :  05:18:57  Show Profile Send perm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't follow 4e in any way either, so 3.5 answer I suppose
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  02:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ao created the Crystal Sphere of Realmspace and it was filled with a gray mist. That's it. He didn't create Toril. He didn't create the sun or the planets. He didn't create any of the planes, well, except for one. And I would argue that one was the Ethereal.

We know that Ao found an empty patch of Phlogiston. (Well, technically, Phlogiston is a gas, or a medium, it's not a plane or a dimensional volume. My theory is that the "space" that phlogiston flows through is actually the Shadow Plane as it exists outside the borders of crystal spheres) Ao created a bubble, the crystal sphere of Realmspace filled with a gray mist. This "mist" I would assert was Toril's first plane, the Ethereal Plane.

The Ethereal Plane is a plane of raw potential. After a time, this ethereal mist began to distill into raw materials forming an elemental "chaos." Eventually, the elemental chaos itself distilled into separate distinct regions of fire, water, earth and air and all the para- and quasi-elements.

Out of the base elements a Material Plane eventually formed. From the collective psyche of the nascent life that grew in the Material Plane, an Astral plane reified. And from that "souler" energy (call it incarnum, essentia, psyche, divine energy, or whatever you will) Selūne and Shar formed from that.

Those two goddesses would go on to craft all the celestial bodies, including Toril. And eventually, Selūne would make the Sun.

All the gods that would later come to exist formed their dominions in the Astral plane of Realmspace.

Selūne created the Gates of the Moon. This was the first Astral plane. Chauntea created the House of Nature, the second plane. Mystryl created Dweomertor, a rocky hill that would grow into the city of Dweomerheart. These were the first 3 planes.

During the War of Light & Darkness, Shar used her access to Shadow to travel to the cosmoses of other worlds, such as the Great Wheel of Greyhawk, where she enlisted the help of Demon Lords, Dukes of Hell and Yugoloth Lords and other dark gods such as Gruumsh. She brought fiends back with her on great ships that sailed the Sea of Blood (Ed has said in one of his posts that the Styx and the River of Blood are the same and that the river wends its way through all cosmoses connecting them together. Shar's mercenaries waged war for her against her sister led by avatars or aspects of the greatest arch-fiends from the Great Wheel.

As payment for their services, Shar granted them leave to set up planes of their own in the Great Tree. Demons and Devils crafted facsimiles of the Abyss and the Hells in the likeness of their Great Wheel abodes. Or some might argue, these planes are actual fragments/aspects/avatars of those planes themselves, if such a thing is possible--for a whole plane to create an avatar or aspect.

The Yugoloths, however, did not bring over an avatar of their plane(s) but rather fashioned a mountain in semblance of their Great Wheel realm in the Barrens of Doom and Despair along the banks of the River of Blood where it flowed through the plane. That mountain, its environs and the river valley would later break off and form a separate plane called the Blood Rift. Some have claimed they were kicked out of the Barrens by the other residents who could not tolerate them.

When Shar attacked, in desperation, Selūne used the Infinite Staircase to travel between cosmoses as her sister had done. Possibly with the wise counsel of Oghma, she enlisted help from his Celtic pantheon, such as Silvanus and the smith-god Goibhnie (who later became Gond), and other gods such as Corellon, Moradin, and Tyche. Each of these established dominions in the House of Nature after conclusion of the war.

Not to be left out, the Celestial Hebdomad, the Guardinals, and the Court of Stars sent celestials to fight against the fiends, also led by avatars of the Great Wheel celestial paragons.

Only the Seven Heavens of Celestia (later renamed the House of the Triad sometime between -236 DR and -216 DR when the Triad formed) fashioned an avatar in the Great Tree cosmos. However, the Guardinals took up residence in the House of Nature, and the Court of Stars became itinerant, splitting their time between the Gates of the Moon and the House of Nature where they liked to associate with Corellon and his settlement of Arvandor.

A hand maid of Chauntea's, a mountain goddess named Othea, seduced the Primordial Giant Annam. They wed, and through this union Chauntea secured the aid of Annam and the giant gods in her fight against Shar.

The Barrens of Doom & Despair were created as a prison or a realm of banishment for Talona and the other dark gods who lost out in the War of Light and Darkness.

Warrior's Rest was created by the god of War who emerged as a concept from the War of Light and Darkness.

And of course, The Fugue was created as a waystation for the dead in a compact signed among the gods as part of the truce agreement signed at Cynosure ending the War of Light and Darkness. The fugue was created so that gods could not steal souls from each other, and so the newly dead wait there to be picked up by their patron gods to go on to their final afterlife.

All the gods of the creator races held dominions among the Astral planes.

The proto-Batrachi pantheon (prior to their conversion to monotheism under Ramenos) called The Great School (see Sea of Fallen Stars p.60) created the plane of the Fated Depths. They were mostly killed when Ramenos harrowed the plane, swallowing the Great School gods whole, and leaving an empty black sea behind.

The god of the Sarrukh, the World Serpent lived in a plane (or a succession of layers) that might have been called (according to a suggestion by Eric Boyd) the Scales of the World Serpent. This plane is still around as the World Serpent Inn, at least in part, although it doesn't look like it used to.

Originally, after the War, Tyche, Corellon, Moradin, and Annam were granted realms in the House of Nature. Annam settled down in the divine realm of his wife Othea. He called his lands Jotunheim. Tyche claimed a nearby great mountain for her own, which she called Olympus (after her home plane in the Great Wheel). Moradin claimed a great mountain that he called Dwarfhome. Corellon recreated a version of Arvandor in the land between Othea's mountain and Tyche's Olympus.

Wars broke out between the elf gods and giants. Corellon annexed a great deal of land from the giants, and there are still giant castle ruins in Arvandor to this day. Eventually the giant gods broke their remaining land away from the House of Nature and formed a separate plane of Jotunheim.

Similarly, Corellon, along with Tyche, broke off their shared realm of Olympus/Arvandor and formed a separate plane.

Moradin also separated his plane from the House of Nature circa -16,000 DR when the dwarves finally awoke in the Yehimal mountains.

Oghma and Gond split off the House of Knowledge into its own plane too, at some point, although it still looks very similar to the House of Nature that it separated from.

So too did the evil nature gods, the Gods of Fury, either corrupt and split off their portion of the House of Nature, or craft their plane of Fury's Heart as a dark mirror of the House of Nature, embodying Nature in its most destructive aspects.

After the Dawn Cataclysm, when Tyche split into Beshaba and Tymora, Beshaba slunk off to the Barrens of Doom and Despair, while Tymora kept Tyche's realm. At some point in time, possibly around the time of the Dawn Cataclysm, Tyche's mountain of Olympus was razed. A small village grew upon the plateau that formed the base of where Olympus once stood. This village became known as Brightwater, after the waters of the Evergold that ran through it. Sometime around 1312 DR, Tymora, Suné and Llira decided to part ways with the elven gods, and amicably decided to split their plane in two. Brightwater was broken off into its own plane leaving Arvandor to elves and the Court of Stars who also abided there.

Other immigrant pantheons created their own planes when they came to Realmspace. The Dragon gods built Dragon Eyrie circa -31,000 DR. The Halfling gods built Green Fields circa -24,000 DR. The gnome gods built Golden Hills when the gnomes came to Toril. The Mulan gods built Heliopolis and Zigguraxus cira -2488 DR. Goblins and Kobolds created Clangor and Nishrek.

The Deep Caverns (also called the Dismal Caverns) is an ancient realm. Its creation is shrouded in mystery. It may have been created by Ghaunadaur before he moved to the Abyss. Some suggest that the Deep Caverns were once the Underdark of the House of Nature before splitting off to become a plane in its own right. Or it may have been one of the World Serpent's many former scales or a molted skin. Shekinester lives here in her Court of Light, if that is any indication. Some say that Chauntea IS the World Serpent, or the human conception of him anyway.

Ilsensine established his (its?) realm in the plane of Deep Caverns circa -11,000 DR. Hammergrim was originally established as a realm within Deep Caverns by Laduguer and Deep Derra after the duergar won their freedom in revolt from the Illithids circa -4000 DR. Hammergrim later broke off into its own plane sometime after -4000 DR but no later than -1800 DR.

The Supreme Throne used to be called Limbo. Limbo was settled by Slaadi who Ed Greenwood said (in one of his posts) came through gates or planar rifts where the Great Wheel plane of Limbo bled through the fabric of space. In fact, Limbo may actually be a part of, or grown from a seed of, Greyhawk's Limbo that seeped through such a planar rift. Cyric fled to Limbo after he lost the Fugue to Kelemvor. In his megalomania, Cyric claimed a ruined castle in Limbo as his "Supreme Throne" circa 1370 DR, and the name stuck.

It should be mentioned that after Tearfall and the destruction of the Batrachi empires, some Batrachi escaped Toril to settle in Limbo. Their descendants are the Neraph. And some of the greatest of their race have achieved a status as anarchic paragons. The anarchic paragons of the Supreme Throne are often confused with Slaad lords, although they are not. They call themselves Neraph lords or Batrachi lords. Even more confusing is the fact that neraph somewhat resemble slaadi who both live on this plane. There are also avatars or aspects of Great Wheel slaad lords who live on the Supreme Throne as well, although whether they actually live there or just range back and forth across the soft border that connects the Supreme Throne to Greyhawk's Limbo is unclear.

The only other plane that Ao can be said to have created, other than the Ethereal, is the demi-plane of Cynosure, where the gods meet to decide, negotiate and settle important matters and sign treaties and such.

It should also be mentioned that the Great Tree has many gates and soft borders that connect it with planes, layers and realms of Greyhawk's Great Wheel cosmos. In fact, it is somewhat easy to traverse between the two without having realized it has happened. Many gods of Toril have exploited these gates, rifts and soft borders to establish a presence in the Great Wheel cosmos so as to expand their worshiper base. Their aim is to increase their power and to hedge against the losses that can come from becoming forgotten.

The Forgotten Realms also has many gates, rifts and soft borders with Earth itself. Which is why it is called the "Forgotten Realms," as many of the myths and legends of Earth grew out of the former contact between the two worlds.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  03:17:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray Richardson

Limbo was settled by Slaadi who Ed Greenwood said (in one of his posts) came through gates or planar rifts where the Great Wheel plane of Limbo bled through the fabric of space.
So Saith Ed:-
quote:
January 27, 2005: ...

... Toril exists within its own physical universe (as covered in Realmspace), its own cosmology (presented in the Players Guide to Faerūn), and has also had thousands of links (some of them permanent, and known as “gates”) with several parallel Prime Material Planes (hence the very name “Forgotten Realms,” which is Toril seen from the viewpoint of a real-world Earth observer).

Real-world Earth (where I live, and Elminster finds me to pass on his tales of this wondrous world we all buy divers products about) is but one of these dozens of Prime Material Planes that Toril is, or has been (and in some cases, will be again, as gates re-open in predetermined cycles or conditions, or are re-opened by the deliberate acts of various beings) directly linked to. (Lest anyone think I’m just concocting this now as a retcon, consider the date on which issue 37 of The Dragon, as it was then, was published.)

The elf realm of Faerie is one such Prime Material Plane, though it’s very different from, say, our real-world Earth (and yes, I’ll very soon answer Melfius as to how and where Faerie and Toril connect).

Most of these Prime Material Planes (from which various of the “creator races” hail) are similar to Toril in that they are vaguely-medieval-level carbon-based and copious-water environments very like Toril, and one can breathe the air and drink the water if one is a resident of one plane, and steps (via gate/portal or spell) from one to the other. Most of them exist both within their own crystal spheres (Spelljammer again, although in the majority of cases the inhabitants of these alternate Prime Material Planes are entirely unaware of the existence of crystal spheres, spelljammers, phlogiston, et al) and in the cosmology described in the ‘core’ D&D rules, where Limbo very much exists.

So as SERPENT KINGDOMS states, some learned thinkers of Toril believe the batrachi fled to Limbo, where they became known as slaadi.

(I know they exist in Limbo, because circa issue 90 or so of DRAGON, a Canadian freelance designer by the name of Stephen Inniss [creator of the lillend “monster”] and I stopped work on a by-then-300-odd-pages manuscript detailing Limbo, when TSR’s Creative Director told us they wouldn’t be publishing any more planar products. As we all know, TSR later changed its mind.)

Not only are the cosmologies connected via the various gates linking the Prime Material Planes, they’re also linked (Elminster tells me, though word of this may well not have reached those wizards who dwell on a certain coast) through their World Trees and River of Blood/River Styx (which are actually the same thing, exhibiting different properties in different places and cosmologies. I note both “places” and cosmologies because the Styx differs from place to place just within the Outer Planes of the “main D&D” or “Greyhawk” cosmology, bearing alternative names such as the River Lethe.)

Obviously, the slaadi colonized the Supreme Throne from Limbo (where, after all, the githzerai are an everpresent force that opposes them). Cyric is only very recently ascended to godhood (from a cosmic viewpoint), so it’s obvious that the Supreme Throne described in the PLAYER’S GUIDE TO FAERUN is greatly changed from the features a visitor would have found on that plane not very long ago - - when the slaadi probably dominated, hunting other creatures at will.

However, let me state again (for the benefit of all Seekers After Truths with whom you’ll undoubtedly be sharing this) that as with matters divine, matters cosmological are rife with speculation and things most mortals can never know or be sure about. What is “fact” when even a careful observer can’t necessarily perceive things as they are, or know he or she is interpreting what they see correctly? (I recall a humorous animated film, popular in schools in my youth, wherein aliens believe that cars are the rulers of Earth, and humans are merely parasites who occasionally issue forth from them or enter them.) So there you have it: clear as mud in utter darkness when one is submerged in it and blindfolded. :}

So saith Ed.

Who in that last sentence has described the art of trying to understand, say, the D&D magic system (or life in general) as well as anyone ever has.

love to all,
THO

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  03:42:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice Gray.

The only thing I have issue with is Having limbo formed out of the Great Throne - I tend to think of it as the other way around (being familiar with the wheel since the mid-70's and a Greyhawk fan/DM first). The Great Wheel was central to nearly all official worlds 1e/2e, when the Tree didn't even exist, so it makes sense that it is the proto-cosmology for all the other local cosmologies. Its the 'hub', if you will.

I also think the War of Light & Darkness was more universal then lore would lead us to believe, but that's fodder for another thread.

EDIT: I was unaware of that lore by Ed, and yet I had written a HB piece in some thread awhile back (probably soon after that post) that the Slaad were evolved Batrachi. I believe it was in the thread where I suggested a theoretical third (copper) set of Nether Scrolls. Three races, three sets... and the Sarrukh betrayed the other two.

My own take is all.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Nov 2011 03:55:45
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  16:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you read it backwards. Limbo did not form out of the Supreme Throne. It was the other way round. The Slaadi colonized the Great Tree cosmology, crossing over from Greyhawk's Limbo. This happened millennia ago. Whether they took over an existing plane, or created a new one is undocumented.

My personal theory is that Limbo (Greyhawk's Limbo) is by its nature so chaotic that it cannot be constrained by the laws of the multiverse--including laws regarding location. The improbable becomes more probable. And so, on occasion, Limbo makes connections to other localities--and not just in the same cosmology. These gates, or planar rifts allowed some Slaadi to find themselves in the Great Tree.

I think it possible that a bit of Limbo seeped through with them and from that the Great Tree Slaadi built their plane in the Great Tree. This plane they also called Limbo. Possibly due to a lack or originality, or possibly because the Slaadi may not have even been aware that they had left the Great Wheel. And I am intrigued with the idea that both planes maintain a soft border between them that allows folks to come and go. Kind of like if Hawaii were connected to the continental US by a bridge. Or a wormhole.

We know that the Great Tree's Limbo only recently changed it's name to the Supreme Throne circa 1370 DR when Cyric fled there following his loss of the Fugue. First mentioned in On Hallowed Ground p.168 which states “His new home is the Shattered Castle (which, in his delusion, he calls ‘The Castle of the Supreme Throne’) and he hopes to draw all of the petitioners of Toril to his realm. The berk hasn’t found much success, but he’s sure it’s just a matter of time before he conquers the entire cosmos with his divine insight.”

We also know that the plane was formerly called Limbo, as this was mentioned as far back as Dungeon #101 in Richard Baker’s Prison of the Firebringer adventure, which introduced Bazim-Gorag, the Firebringer, a two-headed “Slaad” lord unique to the FR cosmology. Bazim-Gorag was summoned to Faerūn from Limbo by a cabal of Netherese wizards in ­-585 DR, the year of Rumbling Earth.

More information was revealed in the Grand History of the Realms p.5 wherein we learn that “When the seven-turn winter later blanketed our lands with ice, I retreated with many of my kind to the otherworldly realm of Limbo, where we established a kingdom that your sages call the Supreme Throne. It was there that our race was once again transformed by Ramenos to serve his divine purpose. Many of your ignorant kind mistakenly confuse my people with the slaad, who make their home on the same plane. In fact, I am a batrachi lord — far more powerful than any common fiend.” Although, he doesn’t explicitly mention the name Bazim-Gorag, he does call himself the Firebringer.

So Bazim-Gorag turns out to be not a Slaad lord but a Batrachi lord, which I surmise is some kind of comparable anarchic paragon, but whether they are more powerful than Slaad lords, as he brags, is doubtful. Comparing his stats to other Slaad lords would probably reveal that this is mostly bluster. Although, by implication there may be more “Batrachi lords” and I would be interested to know what other such lords are running around.

From Bazim-Gorag’s statement we can surmise that both slaadi and modern descendants of the Batrachi co-exist in the Supreme Throne. The Batrachi descendants are not, however, their former froggy selves. No longer do they resemble their siv, grippli and bullywug cousins; they were further transformed by Ramenos to adapt to their new plane. Their new form is similar to and easily confused with Slaadi. They are, in fact, the neraphim, as introduced in the Planar Handbook p.12. “A neraph (plural neraphim) is sometimes mistaken for a slaad at a distance, due to the two races’ similarity in appearance. However, neraphim and slaadi are distinct kinds of creatures.” The neraphim appear to have in turn colonized the Limbo of Greyhawk’s Great Wheel back through the same gates, rifts or soft border through which the slaadi colonized the Great Tree cosmos.

In the short time since Cyric took over the Supreme Throne, he has transformed a goodly portion of it commensurate with his madness and his evil. Technically, he was supposed to be “cured” of his madness, but I don’t know how well that cure took. Perhaps due to the power of his evil and the influx of evil petitioners, the plane has become mildly evil-aligned, whereas, prior to his arrival, I imagine the plane used to be only strongly chaotic, without any evil or strong faith traits. Not sure how the Slaadi and Batrachi lords are dealing with the changes. Perhaps there is conflict with Cyric and his petitioners, or perhaps they like the changes, or maybe just don't care. There's still a lot to be explored in regards to this plane.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  18:15:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, not so much backwards, but I got lost in all the 'comas'. LOL

You were referencing two completely different limbos, and when you said "Limbo may actually be a part of, or grown from a seed of, Greyhawk's Limbo", I thought you meant the THE Limbo (from Planescape) grew from a local cosmology (I did somehow read Gh as FR though).

The confusion comes in in that we have one cosmology for two settings in 3e - the Great Wheel. Greyhawk apparently is missing a 'cosmic layer' somehow (since we must assume the Great Wheel exists 'above' all other cosmology, as a type of parent-cosmology).

Unless, from reading your posts, I get the gist that you feel Greyhawk's wheel IS a local one, and just an imperfect copy of the Prime One. Either way, my theory of local 'blisters' still applies - that the smaller sphere-specific cosmologies are tied to the Greater One, Ergo, unlike the true Great Wheel, Greyhawk's individual Outer Planes are connected by gates, rather then be physically adjacent ( a concept that shouldn't even apply, really).

In fact, come to think of it, my way of looking at it sounds a lot like the Atropal/Atropus thingy from the other thread. That means that rather then some unimaginably huge machine, the Great Wheel is actually a living creature on some level (although, at these levels of power, I once again don't think making this distinction even applies). If it contains kinetic energy - particles in-motion - it should be able to establish a consciousness, and even reproduce.

So if there is a Prime cosmology, then there also must be a Prime Material, from which all Crystal Spheres are formed. Over powers like Ao are not so much as creators in the normal, deific sense, but rather artists using the materials at-hand. The Spheres, once made, are their canvas.

And now I am thinking once again about Quale's Demiurge.

EDIT: Only just now finished reading your post. It is still possible both the GHotR/your version and what Ed said are compatible. In fact, my recent 'discovery' looking at the maps have given me proof that some of my own cosmological theories are correct - that there was just one world in the beginning, and THAT was sundered during some uber-ancient Godwar. All the worlds are reflections of that original, which get further and further apart as time marches on (which also syncs up to the Big-Bang theory as well). All are fragments of the one, True World (something the Mazticans got right).

That means if the Creator races existed on this proto-prime, then they themselves would have branched-off into sub-species of the original, in whatever spheres they were still found in. The Slaad could have been the evolutionary pinnacle of the amphibious creator race in Oerth's sphere, and the Batrachi Lords the parallel-evolved Amphibians from Toril's sphere. That is why they are so similar - they are both reflections of the original. Ergo, if Ed feels the Slaad were Batrachi, then they were probably those proto-Batrachi from the True World, before it was shattered into a myriad of alternate primes. He uses the word Batrachi because that is the world he and us are most familiar with (and is central to this site), but at the same time, the original name is probably lost in the mists of time and each world has it's own name for these creators. The Slaad and Neraphim are two genetic ends of a single creature that no longer exists.

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Nov 2011 18:36:13
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  18:49:48  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think there's a "prime" wheel or any kind of "prime" cosmology. In my view, and I'm just going by 3e cannon, every crystal sphere may have it's own cosmology.

Rip VanWormer had once pointed out that there is nothing in 3e to conclude that some spheres may not share the same cosmology. So I suppose that is a possibility. It may be that more than one crystal sphere share's Greyhawk's Great Wheel cosmology. Or, it may be that other worlds have their own Great Wheels for cosmologies.

But in order to harmonize 3e lore with prior lore about everyone sharing the same cosmology, I envisage links between cosmologies including portals, gates, planar rifts, and soft borders. This may create some kind of "network" of cosmologies which some may interpret as all sharing the same cosmology.

I rather see it as each crystal sphere having its own "server" hosting a LAN or an intra-net. But each server can be linked to other servers. We know that Realmspace has long been tied to both Greyspace and Earthspace (Solspace?) and I find support that other worlds are also in this network. The gates, portals, rifts and soft borders are like hyperlinks that can take you to other "pages." According to this analogy, Athas is on some kind of secure server that cannot ordinarily link to other servers. And Ao would be Toril's sysadmin.

This greater cosmos you speak of could be seen as a kind of cosmic "internet." But in my view, each cosmos is local, and the links between them only create the illusion that there is some kind of greater cosmos. In some ways, maybe the Great Wheel is like My Space, and the Great Tree is like Facebook, two different social networks that people hang out on, but there can be links between the two.

I try to rigorously follow established cannon from the books. I do speculate and draw conclusions that are not expressly stated in the books, but I feel my conclusions follow from and are supported by established cannon. Where cannon conflicts, I try to harmonize the lore and explain it the best I can, applying certain "rules of construction" such as that later lore trumps prior lore. And fundamentally, what Ed says trumps all. Ed has said expressly that Toril has its own cosmology and therefore I take Ed's word as gospel on the matter.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2011 :  19:42:30  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, try to follow establish canon, including Ed-lore.

What I am not a big fan of is parallel evolution, unless it has some basis in logic. The plethora of similar creatures in the multiverse just seems too... mechanical, unless you apply lots and lots of portals to it - which I am aware FR has more then it's share. However, other worlds do not share FR's portal network, and STILL have similar creatures. Blaming everything on 'Forgotten Gates' or whatever is great, until you take into account that most of these creatures have been on those worlds practically forever.

And what I propose does not invalidate ANYTHING, and, in fact, supports far more (non-D&D) lore then an "everything is separate" approach. ED, IIRC, has admitted to seeing Realmspace existing inside of a Moorcockian (Elric) universe. Michael Moorcock's multiverse is based on the premise that all worlds are reflections of each other. The same goes for the Chronicles of Amber.

I do not think that the Prime World exists anymore - I think that was destroyed (else, every world would claim to be it) during the Godwar. Perhaps this is Earth's own mythical 'Eden'. The Great Wheel was it's cosmology (although I don't think it was considered that at the time); I am picturing something much closer to the Norse cosmology originally, where the various planes were just considered 'worlds' that were reachable from one-another. One world, one set of 'heavens', one set of 'hells', one Ethereal, one astral, etc. After the Godswar, the material plane was shattered, which lead to the creation (by Overpowers) of the Spheres. Each contains a bit of that original world, like a microscopic copy, not unlike the way each cell of a living organism provides a photocopy (DNA) of the whole.

In time, each would evolve in its own way, and many creatures would become extinct while other, newer life-forms would take their place. This would explain why so many similar creatures could have evolved independently on so many worlds. Think about it - Elves, Dwarves, Giants, etc all evolved completely separate on closed worlds like Athas - that shouldn't be possible, unless Athas already contained the primal information for this to have occurred. And Athas isn't the only world in which there is evidence that known (D&D) creatures originated there. How can we possibly have different planets of origin for the same creatures - creatures that can even breed with one-another (although the fact that fantasy settings allow EVERYTHING to breed takes the wind out of that argument)?

The reason why the Great Wheel is so important, and used by so many worlds, is because it was the first to form when the world was shattered - I find it hard to believe there are multiple wheels. In many other spheres (like Toril), local cosmologies have taken hold, and that's perfectly fine - then we can use your model. I think planes give 'birth' to proto-planes all the time, and that's what those local cosmologies contain - the original plane 'buds' and a new plane is born, which for a time bears the name of the original plane. Eventually, it becomes a demi-plane and gets its own name (like Supreme Throne, Ravenloft, or Faerie). Most become anchored to local, sphere-specific cosmologies, while others float about untethered, stealing bits and pieces from worlds they encounter. We (mortal beings) are just the cells existing in some immense, living cosmos. Maybe less then cells... bacteria.

And now, for some reason, picturing this 'shattered world' has caused both the Beyonder (Marvel Comics) and Halaster to spring to mind.

The Halasterverse?

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Nov 2011 20:01:40
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  00:46:27  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also have a problem with parallel evolution. But I don't think it's required as an explanation in the D&D multiverse. Rather, I think the best explanation is a sort of "panspermia"--The races and creatures of each D&D world either wandered through a portal, planar rift, soft border, or were summoned, gated, or transported by spelljammer, or walked the Plane of Shadow to colonize each new world. There are a multitude of methods and access points between every D&D world. The multiverse is as holey as a sieve.

And as evidence for this theory, I offer that you see this even in the real world. When new islands form in the ocean due to vulcanism or are scrubbed free of life by some disaster, it doesn't take long for new life to emerge. But it doesn't evolve from scratch. It flys or drifts in on the winds, washes ashore, rafts over, gets carried over on other animals, or is brought in by humans on boats, either intentionally or inadvertently. Before long the empty island has a thriving ecosystem. You see this again and again. No reason this couldn't happen in the D&D multiverse. With all the magic flying around, the D&D allows for more opportunities for cross-pollenization between worlds.

Alternatively life could have been brought to each new world in turn by a sponsor god or an overgod. We seem to have an example of this in Maztica, where the Mazticans were guided by their gods through some kind of gate or rift from their homeworld to end up in Maztica.

Also, divine "re-creation" may play a part. Corellon and Moradin are worshiped on so many worlds precisely because they go to new crystal spheres and "create" their races over and over again. I imagine the incentive there is twofold. It ensures that a god won't be forgotten, preserving his longevity, and it may also increase his divine rank to the point where he could eventually graduate to overgod.

A third theory I have contemplated is that there is some kind of magical or cosmic "harmonic" that guides evolution along certain templates. This is a little bit like parallel evolution but without the randomness. If such a cosmic harmonic guided life to evolve into humans and orcs and elves and all the familiar creatures, it wouldn't exactly be parallel evolution, but directed evolution of some kind.

Then, of course, there are a lot of more mundane explanations for it. The illithid empire is known to have transplanted races from world to world. And they are said to colonize backwards through time. No reason the illithids could not have populated many worlds back at the dawn of time. There are also many other documented spelljamming slaver races who could have spread species from world to world. Survivors of crashed spelljamming ships are also known to populate whole worlds and forget their origins in the process.

The Forgotten Realms has examples of all of these. Moradin seems to have re-created the Dwarves in the Yehimals (or possibly transplanted them from another world). Gnomes believe they were created on Toril by Garl. But Spellweavers are known to have come from another world, and the Loxo definitely came by spelljammers. And you see that in reverse, too. The aarakocra of Coliar colonized from Toril. The Mulan were kidnapped by the Imaskari through portals. And some orcs were brought through gates during the orcgate wars. Humans, though, seem to have evolved natively. Whether they were "created" by a god or evolved by means of some sort of cosmic harmonic is undocumented and may never be known.

I certainly abhor the idea of parallel evolution, but there are enough alternate explanations that you don't need it to explain why all the D&D worlds tend to be populated with such similar folks.

Which is another reason why I don't think Realmspace evolved a separate Abyss, 9 Hells, and Celestia on its own but that they colonized Realmspace from the Great Wheel. The Great Wheel sent over aspects/avatars/fragments/clones of the archfiends and paragons to lead the fiends and celestials that were brought over by Shar and Selūne to fight in the War of Light and Darkness. That makes a lot more sense to me than to suppose that both cosmologies parallel evolved separate but nearly identical Orcuses, Demogorgons, Asmodeuses, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Arcanus
Senior Scribe

485 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  02:13:27  Show Profile  Visit Arcanus's Homepage Send Arcanus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I'll stick with the Big Bang Theory.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  03:00:50  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got a headache from reading this.....

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  03:15:38  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I got a headache from reading this.....

Which is why I just stick with the Great Wheel, avoiding the continuity headaches that 3e introduced and 4e tried to outdo by replacing it with the PoL stuff. Design not intended or tailored for a specific setting shouldn't influence and negate swathes of that campaign setting if it had material of its own already in place, it's poor practice.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  03:26:45  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Convergent evolution has been observed in many species on our own world, sometimes form is defined by function. "Magic rich" environments like Realmspace stimulate and encourage diversity and depth of species, it seems to me that if numerous sophonts could evolve on one world then it's probable that many would have superficially similar parameters. Perhaps humaniform creatures are a simple and successful template, if so then it's no surprise so many other races exist which are similar.

If one considers the infinite multitudes of creatures native to the infinite planes, and their migrations, then these probabilities of similar (even identical) species become almost inevitable. The chances of humans evolving simultaneously in many places might be infinitesimal small, but it's multiplied against countlessly infinite infinitudes, the result is it's bound to happen all over the place.

If one considers that such species are shaped by the design of greater beings rather than random natural selection, then really any possibility can be an absolute certainty, no matter how improbable it might otherwise be, and no explanation need be given beyond that a power has willed it. If the gods want humans, elves, dwarves, orcs, and dragons then so be it.

There are also always tinkering wizards, magical mutations, and all sorts of other methods by which the parameters for any species can be designed or altered. Again, the presence of "magic" defies all the rules of biology and genetics we understand in our world; they do not necessarily govern the shaping of life in D&D worlds.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  05:11:26  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Convergent evolution, yes. Similar forms? No problem with that.

But not parallel evolution in the sense of exactly the same forms generated through random mutation on world after world after world. That's so improbable that the notion seems just silly.

But I completely agree that if you throw in magic and/or gods then that works just fine for me.
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  05:13:51  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shemmy, if anyone prefers to use the Wheel, then they should go ahead and do that. It's a great setting, and I had a lot of fun playing around in the Wheel in 2nd edition. I have no beef with the Wheel, except only that it is not canon for the Realms.

I also like the Great Tree, and I personally think it works better for the Realms because it is unique to the Realms and follows Realms history and culture.

As a Realms Fan, I have no problems with complex continuity and evolving lore--which I think is a point of pride for many Realms fans. I enjoy very much trying to reconcile 3e with 2e lore, and 4e for that matter. And it's really not as hard as you make it out. But the seeming conflicts are fun to try and figure out.

Because the Great Tree is canon (so sayeth Ed) it is what I prefer to go by. I could no more use the Wheel than I could insert Jedi knights into my campaign or Sauron, or the X-men. All of those may be great settings, but they just aren't the Realms to me and I have no interest in deviating from canon.

But that's just me. Every game should be fun for the DM and the players involved, and if you like the Great Wheel or like to mix up your Realms in interesting ways, then go for it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  06:13:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That last bit from Gray, above, is usually how I work things when it comes to the subject of utilising material for both the Great Wheel and the Tree in the same campaign. I prefer to interpret both 'cosmologies' as fallible mortal maps of the same 'place' -- often relying heavily on the words of Ed for inspiration:-

"The Great Wheel or any other cosmology doesn’t bother me, just as avatar stats and the endless “but this god came first, or can beat that god” arguments don’t: mortal PCs can’t know the truth about the gods anyway, because every in-game source (supreme priests, avatars of the gods themselves, holy writings) they could possibly learn all this stuff from is biased. Everything. So it really is all up to the DM."

Edited by - The Sage on 06 Nov 2011 06:15:18
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  17:55:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"The Master" which Ao serves ---didn't he/she/it create something more colossal than a Crystal Sphere?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2011 :  18:20:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've reconciled the Tree and the Wheel to my own satisfaction by assuming that the planes reached by the Tree are subplanes or domains on the planes of the Wheel. I'll grant that my planar lore is weak, but this seems, to me, to be an easy fix, and one easy to apply to this particular retcon.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  02:45:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

"The Master" which Ao serves ---didn't he/she/it create something more colossal than a Crystal Sphere?

It's probably not something we can ever properly ever known. Nor should we, as I see it.

Conceivably, "the Master" created the entire universe within which the Crystal Sphere of Realmspace exists. But taking our own knowledge of the universe of our material plane into consideration for a moment, even we don't know the exact purpose and/or function of the universe [and, possibly, beyond] in purely scientific terms.

I can't see why it would be any different for the Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  07:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are likely many, many overgods. 3e lore supports the notion that overgods are to gods as epic level characters are to regular player characters. Gods have divine ranks, which in 3e was divided into 20 levels. Entities that had 21 or more divine ranks were said to be overgods.

But overgods are not just more powerful gods, they are a different class of entity altogether. They no longer require worship, and it is hinted that their concerns are orders of magnitude beyond the material world. In most cases they are forgotten completely, and it has been documented that Ao has made the general public forget he ever existed.

I think in most cases, overgods are as far removed from mortals as we are to ants. Overgods don't even think about mortals, as their responsibilities lie in higher dimensions and with concepts that are inconceivable to men.

The only two known overgods are Ao and the High God of Krynn. It is suspected that the Lady of Pain, Ptah, and Anubis may qualify as overgods as well.

But it seems likely that every crystal sphere in the multiverse may have been created by an overgod. I imagine that creating a crystal sphere is like a PhD thesis or an Eagle Scout project for an overgod candidate. They have to complete some kind of cosmic work or quest to qualify for ascension. And if creating crystal spheres is only one of many different kinds of projects or quests they can attempt, then it follows there could be multitudes of overgods out there in the beyond operating in the higher realms.

Ao is probably a lower level overgod. Something like between overdivine rank 21-25. A demi-overgod. Just like demi-gods (or exarchs in 4e parlance) tend to serve a higher-up god, so too might demi-overgods serve higher rank overgods. In fact, Ao's superior has been documented.

Ao probably maintains closer ties to his creation than other overgods precisely because he is new at the job and still retains some vestige of his humanity (or divinity). We believe Ao to be a relatively new overgod, as Ed Greenwood mentioned in one of his posts that it is commonly thought by Faerun's sages that Toril is around 70,000 years old, give or take. Not that anyone knows for sure, but that's the prevailing theory, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  07:26:58  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Does Ao follow certain measures to ensure that no god under his turf could ever ascend to Overgod? Isn't that one of his jobs to maintain the delicate Balance in the space that is his area of responsibility? Did it ever happen when one of the greater deities came close to ascending to Overgod status? Other than Cyric's mad atttempt, of course.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2011 :  18:22:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Dennis

Does Ao follow certain measures to ensure that no god under his turf could ever ascend to Overgod? Isn't that one of his jobs to maintain the delicate Balance in the space that is his area of responsibility? Did it ever happen when one of the greater deities came close to ascending to Overgod status? Other than Cyric's mad atttempt, of course.
But then one might ask why the powerful goddess of magic is destroyed over and over again.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000