Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Monastic Orders: Clothing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ShadowKing
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  21:43:49  Show Profile Send ShadowKing a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the old Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons and Demihuman Deities, were present pictures and accurate descriptions of the priestly vestments and adventuring garbs for the clergy of each god of the Realms.
The more recent Faiths & Pantheons and its Web Enhancements did not contain anything similar, so where can I find informations about what monks of organized orders wear? Has every order strict rules about how a member must dress? Or is each monk free to wear what he prefers?
I suppose a monastic order, given its lawful nature, should impose some sort of uniform to its members, like western and eastern monastic orders do in the real world. Surely orders with secret or wicked goals might allow their members to wear clothes useful to hide their affiliation. However I have not found sources that provide official informations about this.
In particular, I am interested in any possible rule on clothing in force in the Monastery of the Sun in Waterdeep, because one of my players is going to play a Sun Soul Monk.
Advices?

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  22:59:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would have the monk orders wear simple vestments similar in style (where appropriate) and color to what the priests wear.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  23:18:31  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Shadowking

I can't think of any sourcebook that i've got (although my memory is awful tbh) that details the Monk's code of dress, by deity, in the Realms, someone else might know?

You've already mentioned the first books that I would've headed to (Faiths & Avatars, Powers & Pantheons and Demihuman Deities) as a source of potential inspiration.

Is it the colouration, or style of dress, that you are after?

If it's colouration you could have a look at Deity Do's & Don'ts, a web enhancement by Sean K Reynolds, it gives specific colours by deity and certain animals/plants that are associated to them.

Not sure about style though, you could maybe draw inspiration from real world sources and adapt it to what you think is best? Maybe a set for within the temple, or monastery, and one for travel?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  00:23:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I would have the monk orders wear simple vestments similar in style (where appropriate) and color to what the priests wear.

I do sometimes follow the Jedi method here, in that most monks in my Realms often adopt clothing styles that are reminiscent of the common man. Usually, an individual monk's city/state/country of birth [and its associated cultural aspects] and their faith, as well as the monk's own unique physiology would tend to influence the design of the robe or vestment. As such, no two robes could ever be considered completely identical.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 03 Nov 2011 00:25:13
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  01:01:10  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some gods are more vain or demanding than others, and this would be reflected by their followers. I would expect the official and unofficial vestments worn would vary from church to church and region to region; Tymorans in Cormyr would like dress differently than Tymorans in Tethyr. Note the religious garb worn in our world, from current and defunct religions, and note how it varies by region.

The best reference I can advise would be the artwork originally seen in 2E Forgotten Realms Adventures, although it does (and does not) represent some of the deities who've been replaced.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

ShadowKing
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  02:36:52  Show Profile Send ShadowKing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

Hi Shadowking Is it the colouration, or style of dress, that you are after?

If it's colouration you could have a look at Deity Do's & Don'ts, a web enhancement by Sean K Reynolds, it gives specific colours by deity and certain animals/plants that are associated to them.

I have doubts about the style of dress (and have already looked at that web enhancement for ideas about the colouration).

I have also found the following image portraying Kadila adh Vitendi, a Sun Soul Monk of the Monastery of the Sun in Waterdeep (taken from City of Splendors): http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cosw_gallery/90427.jpg
She was born in Calimshan but trained as a monk in Waterdeep. However she still wears dresses in calishite style, but stained with the colours of the Sun Soul Order.
So it seems the Sun Soul Monks living in Waterdeep are free to choose how to dress but have to wear the colours of their deity.
Do you agree?
Go to Top of Page

Nilus Reynard
Learned Scribe

Canada
137 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  04:37:50  Show Profile Send Nilus Reynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have always pictured those of monastic orders wearing the type of garb that priests of Ilmater wear, with a change to whatever color suits the character/npc.

Nilus Reynard
Doom Master of Beshaba, Hand of Despair.
P24 Hm CN
(2nd Edition AD&D)
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  08:36:43  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadowKing

I have doubts about the style of dress (and have already looked at that web enhancement for ideas about the colouration).

I have also found the following image portraying Kadila adh Vitendi, a Sun Soul Monk of the Monastery of the Sun in Waterdeep (taken from City of Splendors): http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/cosw_gallery/90427.jpg
She was born in Calimshan but trained as a monk in Waterdeep. However she still wears dresses in calishite style, but stained with the colours of the Sun Soul Order.
So it seems the Sun Soul Monks living in Waterdeep are free to choose how to dress but have to wear the colours of their deity.
Do you agree?

After looking at the City of Splendors (I didn't remember seeing the image before... told you about my memory) yep, I do agree... up to a point. My agreement is tempered by only having one example available to us so far, I think it's a good start though.

I do think the colouration from the Faith's and Avatars books from 2e, and the Web enhancement you've already seen, is a good thing to have, as it seems that the colour code has been adhered to by Kadila.

The only reason I mentioned plants and animals is due to the martial training they receive and that they often take inspiration from the real world... animals feature quite widely. They may have devices or icons on their clothing... like I said, it was just an idea.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I do sometimes follow the Jedi method here, in that most monks in my Realms often adopt clothing styles that are reminiscent of the common man. Usually, an individual monk's city/state/country of birth [and its associated cultural aspects] and their faith, as well as the monk's own unique physiology would tend to influence the design of the robe or vestment. As such, no two robes could ever be considered completely identical.

Kadila seems to have taken this approach and I think The Sage makes a good point.

Maybe direct a question towards the Chamber of Sages to gain the clarification you require?
Go to Top of Page

ShadowKing
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  15:12:12  Show Profile Send ShadowKing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Farrel

[quote]Originally posted by ShadowKing

Maybe direct a question towards the Chamber of Sages to gain the clarification you require?

In the "Questions for Ed Greenwood (2011)" topic?
Go to Top of Page

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  15:17:51  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, i'd look forward to seeing a reply from Mr Greenwood
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000