Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Spawn of Dragonspear
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  11:23:18  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've recently discovered about a game book centered in Daggerford, and whose main character is the half-elven ranger Kelson Darktreader. However, I couldn't find the book, so I wanted to check out if someone knows if the book brings more information about this character (any roleplaying/personality tips?), and what information does it brings about the Castle Dragonspear and its denizens. Can anybody help me, please?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Farrel
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
239 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  11:51:07  Show Profile Send Farrel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Barastir

Do you happen to have the title of the book at all?

I've got Under Illefarn and have found it to be very useful, it has an amazing amount of fluff regarding the personalities and the area.

There's also the Daggerford book from the Boxed set: The North (Guide to the Savage Frontier), that's got a wealth of info and lore too.

Edit: Sorry, didn't read the thread/topic title... dopey me

Edited by - Farrel on 28 Oct 2011 11:59:32
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  11:54:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a Super Endless Quest book, I think. Those were Choose-Your-Own-Adventure types, with a little bit of dice rolling thrown in.

I used to have it, but I've not yet replaced it. If I've read it, it was only once more than 10 years ago.

From what I recall of other Super Endless Quest books, there's not much lore to be had in them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  13:11:59  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

It's a Super Endless Quest book, I think. Those were Choose-Your-Own-Adventure types, with a little bit of dice rolling thrown in.

I used to have it, but I've not yet replaced it. If I've read it, it was only once more than 10 years ago.

From what I recall of other Super Endless Quest books, there's not much lore to be had in them.

Thank you, guys, and no worries, Farrel. Wooly, it is a "super endless quest" book indeed. But even in the description of the story there are no new NPCs, villains, Dragonspear plots, or clues about the ranger's behavior (like being more introspective, or so on...)? I'm looking for something simple, only to introduce this NPC in a campaign, and I think extra published ideas would be nice. If there are none, then, I'll begin from what I have in The North, that is basically the same info from Under Illefarn.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 28 Oct 2011 13:13:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  16:15:23  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a little-known settlement called 'Womford'* that appears on some map of that region - a VERY early FR map (I don't even think it was considered an FR product at that time - I believe it pre-dated the official setting release).

It looks to be in the same area as Ironford, and may have even be an earlier name for that settlement. I placed it separately on my maps, as a thorp on the other side of that same ford. It may or may not be a ruin.

Just thought I'd mention that, before I forget all about it and that info disappears into obscurity. I thought it appeared on the back-panel of one of the Daggerford-related products, but I have no way of finding it now. It was a (pre-)1e map of the Swordcoast, and very bare-bones.

*Wormford - see THO's post below.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 Nov 2011 21:10:38
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  17:23:21  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spawn of Dragonnspear was the only Adventure Gamebook (#17) to be labeled as, "A Forgotten Realms Adventure" on the cover. The book has multiple human barbarian tribes living on the High Moor. In the book, you meet a member of one tribe (Braggi), and by foollowing the correct choices, you can spend the night with members of an enemy tribe of Braggi's, called the Belcondi. You can even get into a ritual combat (called a holmgang) with the son of the Braggi's chief, in order to recover your father's sword. There is even the possibility of a romance with the daughter of Duke Pryden of Daggerford.

As adventurer path books go, Spawn of Dragonspear is well written and has multiple different adventurer paths included in the same book. Most of the lore in the book was never repeated in any of the Realms gaming suppliments, so it probably would have a hard time fitting in a canon Realms campaign. Still, it gives an interesting alternative look at the High Moor region.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Halidan on 28 Oct 2011 17:26:21
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2011 :  19:58:00  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very good, the gold is showing up! Thank you both, Halidan and Markustay. Anyone else could have some information to add? And Halidan, you say you can get involved with the daughter of Duke Pryden? This should be Robyn, right? And that sword, is it a magic falchion or khopesh (the one Kelson owns on the other accessories)?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2011 :  16:12:08  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No Barastir, it's not Robyn. Now that I've had a chance to page through the book, the Duke's daughter is named Bronwyn. Her father is Duke Pryden, her grandfather, Duke Conan (yack) She has an older brother named Pwyll, who is destined to become Duke after Pryden. Since the father's name is correct, perhaps this might be a younger sister of Robyn.

Kelson commonly carries a falchion, an elven longbow, and a dagger. The book gives no stats on the falchion, but since it can hit one of the devils from Dragonspear Castle (entry #32) and makes him assume his real form (generic humanoid with lagre horns and a tail), I would agree that it has to be magical. What magic I can't tell from the simplfied combat system these books used. Duing the book, Kelson also has a chance to recover his father's lost longsword, but all I can find out is that the father's sword has a saphire set in the pommel.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2011 :  10:56:01  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops! I meant Bronwyn, but since I wrote without checking the sources, I ended up writing the wrong name. But he gets really involved with Bronwyn? So, he meets devils disguised as humans? There is but one, or there are more devils? And what happens to the longsword, he keeps it? The book mentions how the sword came into the possession of the barbarians?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2011 :  00:15:10  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only one devil. While Kelson has been out of Daggerford, the devil has been shape-changed into Kelson and romancing Bronwyn. In all threads, you either kill or drive off the devil (or die trying) and the whole town and Bronwyn understand they've been had. Depending on the thread, this will either clinch the romance with Bronwyn or start a good friendship with her (sort of a big brother type of relationship).

There are different paths through the book. It is one of the few flip books that has a really good amount of reply value. Not all tracks deal with the sword - in fact only two (out of about 6 major paths) will get you to the barbarian meeting where you can see the sword. If you choose to fight and win the holmgang, you keep the sword. Given the simple 2d6 combat system the book uses, the sword doesn't alter Kelson's stats.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2011 :  11:09:09  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Halidan

(...) Not all tracks deal with the sword - in fact only two (out of about 6 major paths) will get you to the barbarian meeting where you can see the sword. If you choose to fight and win the holmgang, you keep the sword. Given the simple 2d6 combat system the book uses, the sword doesn't alter Kelson's stats.

But the way the sword ended up in the hands of the barbarians is not explored, or even hinted?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2011 :  17:22:02  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the delay in answering - I've beenrecovering from a medical procdure on my back.

Yes, the barbarians do tell how they got the sword. The barbarians found the father lying unconcious in the snow, "beside the body of the father of all ice worms." Silverleaf - the barbarian who invites Kelson into the barbarian camp, mentions that when the tribe found the father, sher mother led the tribe. The mother healed Kelson's father. Since Kelson's father had found a highly enchanted sword in the ice worms hord, he left his lesser enchanted sword as a gift to Silverleaf's mother in gratitude for healing him.

Dowd Bearslayer carried the sword when Kelson came into camp. His father had taken over from Silverleaf's mother as leader of the tribe. Dowd has been given the sword by his father, when he won his "man name" (apparently he killed a bear). Reading between the lines, it is clear that many in the barbarian camp dislike Dowd, and would rather see the sword returned to Kelson. Silverleaf goes so far as to heal Kelson of all wounds going into the ritual fight or holmgang. Dowd refuses to part with the sword, supposedly due to prejudice. Dowd's actual quote is, "It takes a man to be respected...You are but half a man and your father was no man at all. The sword is mine!" This leads directly to the the holmgang.

Hope this answers your quetions, but if you have more, ask away. As you can probably tell, I really liked Spawn of Dragonspear, and it's been a blast re-reading the various adventure tracks as I've been healing.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  16:25:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry for the delay in answering - I've beenrecovering from a medical procdure on my back.

Yes, the barbarians do tell how they got the sword. The barbarians found the father lying unconcious in the snow, "beside the body of the father of all ice worms." Silverleaf - the barbarian who invites Kelson into the barbarian camp, mentions that when the tribe found the father, sher mother led the tribe. The mother healed Kelson's father. Since Kelson's father had found a highly enchanted sword in the ice worms hord, he left his lesser enchanted sword as a gift to Silverleaf's mother in gratitude for healing him.

Dowd Bearslayer carried the sword when Kelson came into camp. His father had taken over from Silverleaf's mother as leader of the tribe. Dowd has been given the sword by his father, when he won his "man name" (apparently he killed a bear). Reading between the lines, it is clear that many in the barbarian camp dislike Dowd, and would rather see the sword returned to Kelson. Silverleaf goes so far as to heal Kelson of all wounds going into the ritual fight or holmgang. Dowd refuses to part with the sword, supposedly due to prejudice. Dowd's actual quote is, "It takes a man to be respected...You are but half a man and your father was no man at all. The sword is mine!" This leads directly to the the holmgang.

Hope this answers your quetions, but if you have more, ask away. As you can probably tell, I really liked Spawn of Dragonspear, and it's been a blast re-reading the various adventure tracks as I've been healing.

Very good, Halidan. Thank you very much for the information! It seems to be a very nice book, I'm considering buying it myself. And I sincerely hope you recover quickly from your surgery.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  19:49:38  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Markustay, "Womford" should read WORMFORD, and it is, yes, a separate (VERY small) place from Ironford, specifically a ford (where a small, young dragon was reputedly killed, centuries ago), a mill (mixed grains grinding, or "grist" in North American parlance), and three houses, one of which belongs to Laerran Hawksul, a cynical, saturnine bearded retired adventurer who trades in perfumes, spices, and cordials (as in, semi-medicinal drinks that aren't magical ["potions"], or mixed freshly just before imbibing ["physics" or "physiks"]), buying and selling wares and ingredients (he makes his own cordials, and resells those of others) from/with passing caravan merchants. Wormford has a deep "sweetwater" (clear, pleasant drinking water) well sourced from a subterranean spring that has no connection to the river. It also has two orchards (that bear many "sourapples," the big, sour, green-skinned baking apples, more pedantically known as Orslen's Greens, that end up in many Sword Coast larders because they last so long before going rotten)
This is all straight from Ed's early notes...
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 10 Nov 2011 19:51:56
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2011 :  21:34:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah-ha! They said I was crazy... they said it didn't exist!!! Vindication!

{Markustay now prancing about in his undergarments, feeling the sheer glee of self-rightousness only someone unemployed can possibly enjoy}

Oh... in his tighty-whities... and I'm no Tom Cruise.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Nov 2011 21:36:07
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  00:46:39  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear THO,

Thank you very much for this unexpected piece of lore, even if i t was not directed specifically for me... And thank Ed for every little detail of this so much alive world he gives us as a gift. And Markustay... Gosh, we play RPG, man! We SEE what you describe...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  10:31:21  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Halidan,

There is more about the Dragonspear devil in the book? Like when he arrived in the material plane and in Daggerford, if there is a clue about the kind of devil it was, or about his name... Was it a winged devil? What happens to him when you cast him off (he goes to some particular place, teleports, or what)?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2011 :  21:42:32  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The devil's name is Blackeye. He is pictured in the book as a muscular humanoid with wings and longhorn cattle-style horns. The book gives no information as to what type of devil he is, and the picture does not match any of the 1E monster manual devils. I suspect the author wanted to depict this "devil" as generic as possible.

While the book gives no timeframe for Blackeye's arrival on Fearun, it does say that he arrived in Daggerford "a week ago" which means the arrival occured just as Kelson was leaving. No one in Daggerford, including the duke and Bronwyn even noticed Kelson had gone. To me, that makes it clear that the devil had been planning his take over of Daggerford for some time, as he had gone to the trouble of convincing an orc/goblin tribe to attack Dagerford as a distraction for his plot.

Two end results seem possible for Blackeye. In some of the path's he just escapes, flying off while promising to return. In others, he fights Kelson and when Blackeye is killed, his body dissolves into mist.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2011 :  16:49:47  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you once again, Halidan. I'm actually researching about Kelson AND about the castle villains, for I'm thinking on using both in my campaign.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2011 :  01:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem. That's why we all hang around here - to help each other with our campaigns

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2011 :  11:10:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much, Halidan, and there goes another general question: is there another reference to Dragonspear denizens in the book, or is it only about Blackeye?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2011 :  20:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most of the comments about Dragonspear are generic. "Hords of devils" is an often used phrase. "Full of evil monsters" is another. The Book really adds little to the lore of Dragonspear, other than Blackeye's plot against Daggerford. None of the adventure paths get close to Dargonspear, although they do cover many of the other sites in the region.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  09:55:44  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice... There are more details about this plot? The devil was impersonating Kelson and started a romance with Bronwyn... The book tells you more about the reason for it, or something about he true goals of Blackeye after seducing the Duke's daughter? He intended to kill her? To have children with her? To stain the name of Kelson?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  17:26:42  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Beyond romancing her, the devil's motives are unclear. His major goal in the book is to use his orcs to invade Daggerdale. Kelson has a couple of adventure paths where he defeats the orcs on their way to Daggerford, and several others where he fights through them at the gates of Daggerford to get to Blackeye.

No "after the battle" plot is even hinted at in the book, but it would be easy to assume that Blackeye could use his powers to become the hero of the battle and with the Duke dead and Brownyn under a charm, rule Daggerford for Dragonspear.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2011 :  18:14:24  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(...) His major goal in the book is to use his orcs to invade Daggerdale. (...)

His orcs? Blackeye had orcs under his command, then? Are there other creatures, or even a hint of other species under his fist? By the way your answering comes, it seems the devil is the "final boss" of the book, is that right?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  03:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Barastar - I'm going out of town for the holidays. I won't have internet access until I return. I'll answer the question as soon as I get back.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2011 :  10:18:32  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Barastar - I'm going out of town for the holidays. I won't have internet access until I return. I'll answer the question as soon as I get back.

Alright, Halidan! Have a nice trip, and wonderful holidays! And thank you for being so helpful!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 21 Nov 2011 10:18:59
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  07:33:46  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Duke Pwell and the wizard Gwydion listen to Kelson's stories (in one of the adventure paths) and assume that the Devil Blackeye and the orcs, under the command of Jagurt Redclaw are united and that Blackeye is in command. Both Piergeiron "the Palidonson" and the Flamming Fist Mercenaries (Duke Elton and Morune to be exact) even make a cameo apperance in that adventure path.

Other than Jaguert's orcs, Kelson also fights a troll and some goblins. If he make the wrong choice, he can also figt one or two of the barbarian tribes of the High Moors.

The Devil is the clearly the "boss" or final fight forKelson on most of the paths that Kelson can take to get through the book. Unless he dies early, he is going to confront Blackeye. In most paths they will fight. In at least one path, Blackeye simply lets go of Bronwyn and flies away to live another day, but that path requires making several poor decisions to get to it. So, my assumption is yes, Blackeye is meant to be an end fight for the book.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2011 :  10:25:45  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you and welcome back, Halidan! How was your holiday? And sticking to the topic, can you describe these important NPC appearances? What Piergeiron, Duke Elton and Morune do or say in their quick part in this adventure path?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 06 Dec 2011 10:26:35
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2011 :  16:12:55  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and I imagine it was Duke Pryden, the father of Pwyll, the one who listened to Kelson's stories, along with the mage Gwydion, am I right?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2011 :  10:02:01  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One more question, is the relation between Gwydion and Duke Pryden good? Cause it seems that the relation between Gwydion and Pwyll is a little... strained, I'd say. Any info about it?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: