Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Canonical Flowers of the Realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2014 :  10:22:36  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Been doing some searching, but so far haven't turned up what I'm looking for.

I'm trying to find a canonical list of flora, specifically flowering plants but I can weed through a list for that detail, that is used in the Forgotten Realms setting, that also has descriptions of their appearance.

Thus far I've found this pretty cool site (http://www.forgottenadventures.com/FRInfo/herbspart2.htm); however, for all of the information it provides from various settings, it doesn't describe what the plants actually look like.

I have this vague recollection of there being actual information about flowers, trees, and whatnot from the older editions, but I can't remember where I saw it. Maybe one of the Volo's Guides, though so far I haven't found what I'm looking for.

So, I'm hoping to tap into the roots of the community and ask for help in finding a descriptive list of Realmsian plants. Who knows, maybe one of you has been looking into something like this recently and you just so happen to know a source.

I know there's some overlap between real world and fictional plants, and I'm primarily interested in the ones specific to Toril and what they actually look like. Secondly, what the alternate, fictional name might be for real world plants imported into the setting.

I've so far checked Elminster's Ecologies and all the Volo's Guides that seemed to be applicable. I could just make it all up, and I will if I can't find anything else - but I much rather use what the setting provides, if it indeed provides it at all. That way when I use the name of a particular flower that might have a certain appearance and lore attached to it, it can be used to evoke a certain theme amongst other people who have looked into it, or bother to ask. Connotations are my favorite, but mainly when they can be shared through setting lore.

It honestly shouldn't be that difficult to find if it exists, I just have to find the source. Probably a 2nd Ed one. Volo's Guide has exactly the kind of list I want, for gemstones, metals, and trees. It describes what they look like, how they might be used mundanely or magically, and any folklore about them. Now I just need that, but for plants other than trees.

So! Does anyone know of such a source? Has Ed already answered this and there is a list somewhere buried in ones of his questions thread? Or is that will I'll have to go queue up for the best chance to get what I'm after?

Thanks in advance!

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2014 :  18:09:14  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is some information in the medical and food sections in Ed Greenwood Presents Elminster's Forgotten Realms - Hope this helps I will keep looking

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2014 :  04:37:38  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LetumLux, You may be interested in the listing of Realms trees in Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, on pages 59-64.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2014 :  05:59:21  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LetumLux

So! Does anyone know of such a source?

There is the Forgotten Realms Lexicon at the Loremaster.org forums.

But unfortunately the forum space is down. (Brian, any word from Matt on when they forums will return? I know you guys are knee deep in game design for Red Aegis right now.)

LetumLux, the only flowering plant I have on file that I later added to the Forgotten Realms Lexicon is:

Thelmallow: A flowering plant that grows in bogs and stagnant swamps. Thelmallow flowers are white and attract stingflies. [[Greenwood, Ed. "Eye On the Realms: Spellslayer Wine." Dungeon #195 October 2011]] http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dun/201110eotr" target="_blank"> http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dun/201110eotr

Note: this item was found by me on February 2013. Any other flowering plants found in other sources would have been added directly to the Lexicon without me first making a separate note in my computer (I'd come to rely on the Lexicon directly and assumed it would always be accessible).

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 07 Mar 2014 06:03:18
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2014 :  17:30:42  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Jeremy it seems that Loremaster.org is moving their Forgotten Realms Lexicon here: http://www.loremaster.org/wiki/index.php?title=Forgotten_Realms

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2014 :  18:42:45  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lothlos, thank you for checking.

That's the wiki that we (well, I) were working on.

I'd been slowly porting over information from the Loremaster forums to their wiki, took a break, and then the forums went down. :(

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 08 Mar 2014 18:43:34
Go to Top of Page

LetumLux
Acolyte

17 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2014 :  04:28:29  Show Profile Send LetumLux a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@ Brian
I have seen that, yes. :D That's essentially what I'm looking for, but for other plants/flowers. Thank you!

@ Lothlos, Jeremy
I hadn't heard about that Lexicon before. I'll be eager to check it out when it's finished migrating. Thanks for that.

Edited by - LetumLux on 11 Mar 2014 04:31:52
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000