Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Psionics
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  14:26:33  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just curious how others have used Psionic PC's or NPC's in their campaigns. I prefer the 2nd edition gameplay, so how do the later versions affect the play of a psionic character??

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  15:06:26  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, the Will and the Way all the way!

That Darksun supplement is the definate tome to refer when dealing with the flavour of psionics. I think that 2nd edition psionics is a tad unbalanced though.

I played a Calishite psion as one of my earlier characters; he was 'dimension door'ing his foes up into the skies of Faerun from level one, a tactic that proved to be devastating for his mostly giant opponents.

Third edition took some steps to balance psionics, but not until the expanded psionics handbook did the system feel 'right' for the edition. The removal of psionic attack and defence modes was daring but was eventually done right. By introducing psionic focus and augmentation, psionics seemed to have adapted to become mechanicly comparable to the proper power level of third edition casters.

Looking back on it I always found that third edition psionics was less and less integrated into the realms, eventhough the lore about psions got some mentions in the novel department. I believe 1st edition did this far better, with the incorporation of some minor wild talents in most major NPC's Ed showed the 'Invisible Art' was quite widespread but practised at a far lower skill level than the Metapsionic Mastery of Dark Sun.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  16:10:54  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Aye, the Will and the Way all the way!

That Darksun supplement is the definate tome to refer when dealing with the flavour of psionics. I think that 2nd edition psionics is a tad unbalanced though.

I played a Calishite psion as one of my earlier characters; he was 'dimension door'ing his foes up into the skies of Faerun from level one, a tactic that proved to be devastating for his mostly giant opponents.

Third edition took some steps to balance psionics, but not until the expanded psionics handbook did the system feel 'right' for the edition. The removal of psionic attack and defence modes was daring but was eventually done right. By introducing psionic focus and augmentation, psionics seemed to have adapted to become mechanicly comparable to the proper power level of third edition casters.

Looking back on it I always found that third edition psionics was less and less integrated into the realms, eventhough the lore about psions got some mentions in the novel department. I believe 1st edition did this far better, with the incorporation of some minor wild talents in most major NPC's Ed showed the 'Invisible Art' was quite widespread but practised at a far lower skill level than the Metapsionic Mastery of Dark Sun.

I did find that my psionic characters did seem to have an stong edge versus characters of similar level. I even had one DM who made me get 1.5 times the listed experience to level up my psionic character. When that character got to a higher level I made the DM live out the rest of his days thinking he was a 12 year old girl.

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Go to Top of Page

Xevo
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  18:07:53  Show Profile Send Xevo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still play 2e, but though I thought Psionics were fine then, I have found that I like the way 3e does it better. Psionics are open to more powers and still limited enough to not upset anything. I had to make some adjustments from 3e rules to 2e, but it was not that hard.

Dark Sun's The Will and the Way is also good for kits and some more powers but one must realize that Dark Sun's psionics are designed for a world that incorporates them into everything. Toril, on the other hand, still believes psionics to be just another school of magic (of course those in the know *cough* Elminster, know better).

Another interesting route would be to adapt Psychic Prof. from Dragon #212 as an alternative to Wild Talents.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
-Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Gouf
Seeker

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  19:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Gouf's Homepage Send Gouf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still play 2e, I'm fine with the psionics in 2e. We are playing in FR, so the character keeps them low key or passes them off as magic.

Dark Sun turned me WAY off as a campaign setting. 2e psionics compliment any part composition.

Oh and as my wild talent dwarf cleric found out, Tsu monsters are real PIA!

"Why is the torch burning blue?"
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  20:56:59  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really like 2e psionics, and I haven't had any problems incorporating most of The Will and the Way into a Realms campaign. The kits aren't much use, but the extra powers are appreciated, and the rules for meditative improvement are really nice. Constructs and Harbingers need some help porting to another system, but that's what joint player-DM brainstorming sessions are for.

I'm much less a fan of 3e psionics. 2e psionics felt like psionics. 3e psionics feel like magic with the serial numbers sanded off. And, personally, I think astral constructs are just really stupid. Give me the 2e stuff any day.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  21:07:39  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The system I prefer is custom and based on the Player's Options books use of MTHAC0s and MACs for determining psionics use. I never liked the Complete Psionics HB's way of running psionics as I've never liked using the opposed roll much.

I've always felt the CPHB system was too complicated and had too many different variable ways to do things. I know that uniqueness appeals to some people, but it never did to me. Give me a nice long list of powers psionicists can use, a MAC and an MTHAC0 to mirror traditional 2e, and that's all I need to determine whether psionics affect a target or not.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  21:40:38  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

The system I prefer is custom and based on the Player's Options books use of MTHAC0s and MACs for determining psionics use. I never liked the Complete Psionics HB's way of running psionics as I've never liked using the opposed roll much.

I've always felt the CPHB system was too complicated and had too many different variable ways to do things. I know that uniqueness appeals to some people, but it never did to me. Give me a nice long list of powers psionicists can use, a MAC and an MTHAC0 to mirror traditional 2e, and that's all I need to determine whether psionics affect a target or not.

Great stuff everyone! Of course, i used my clairvoyance earlier so i knew it would be great.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  21:45:25  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, the optional "2.5E" psionics systems work well enough in my 2E-based gaming. I've never liked fitting fifth-wheel psionicist classes into the game so the only real presence of psionics in my Realms setting are rare wild talents (which are often explained as magical in nature), psionic monsters (such as mind flayers, gith races, and visitors from other worlds/planes), psionic items (ring of mind shielding, helm of telepathy, etc). Most of my NPCs and PCs are unaware of psionics, only a handful have actually possessed wild talents and (due to random roll suckiness) even these were minor and insignificant outside of highly specific conditions.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2011 :  22:27:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked what I saw of 3E psionics, except for the manifestations. I had some serious issues with that idea -- being forced to advertise the use of powers not only puts a serious limitation on them, but it also doesn't really track with any previous depiction of psionics.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  03:04:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I liked what I saw of 3E psionics, except for the manifestations. I had some serious issues with that idea -- being forced to advertise the use of powers not only puts a serious limitation on them, but it also doesn't really track with any previous depiction of psionics.

Bruce Cordell offers some intriguing tweaks on the core 3e D&D psionics system in both Mindscapes and Hyperconscious -- two fabulous tomes that really take the entire concept of mind-combat into new and strange territory.

I still heavily utilise them as support material whenever I'm using psionics in my campaigns.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  03:34:05  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved 3.5 psionics and feel they finally got it right. I wish they had continued the fabulous Mind's Eye articles over at Wizards for longer.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2011 :  03:39:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Bruce Cordell offers some intriguing tweaks on the core 3e D&D psionics system in both Mindscapes and Hyperconscious -- two fabulous tomes that really take the entire concept of mind-combat into new and strange territory.

I still heavily utilise them as support material whenever I'm using psionics in my campaigns.

If I was playing and could use those books, I prolly would... Those are among the ones I got for free back on Free RPG Day.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000