Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 FR dragon database
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  18:40:47  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've been putting together a database, of sorts, listing the known dragons of Faerun. Most of the entries were collected from official Forgotten Realms sourcebooks and include a variety of facts about them such as their age, type and lair location. As there are numerous sourcebooks that I do not have access to, i'm looking for others who may be able to submit their own entries or perhaps corrections if there are any known errors.

The database can be found at: http://www.sss.org/~maecenus/frdragons.html

Eventually, i'd like to put together another database of the known magic items and artifacts of Faerun...but this is going to be even more of a massive undertaking.

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  20:27:14  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  22:36:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, Maecenus of Westgate's dragon chart will be available at Candlekeep in the near future. There will be some slight amendments to show only officially recognised dragons of the Realms.

Many thanks for contacting us and presenting this scroll to us, Maecenus.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  01:25:20  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Indeed, Maecenus of Westgate's dragon chart will be available at Candlekeep in the near future. There will be some slight amendments to show only officially recognised dragons of the Realms.

Many thanks for contacting us and presenting this scroll to us, Maecenus.

My thanks to thee also!

Though, please keep in mind, that the current listing will be updated numerous times in the future and especially in the near future as I peruse more of the FR books that I have been able to obtain recently. Also, if anyone can reference any dragons mentioned in any of the FR novels that I haven't already listed, I would greatly appreciate it. I am not as up to date as I should be on all of the books yet. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  12:28:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is a very useful resource Maecenus. I commend you on all your hard work so far.

Now that such a listing is in existence, all of us here should strive to take down the details of any and all FR dragon references we encounter so that you can add them to the list. I know I certainly will....

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  12:48:18  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Maecenus of Westgate

I've been putting together a database, of sorts, listing the known dragons of Faerun.

Now that's impressive

I'll certainly send any other info I come across.

Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  14:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well done! Very interesting!

Only...where's Hephaestus (Sojourn/Servant of the Shard)?

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  14:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArionElenim

Well done! Very interesting!

Only...where's Hephaestus (Sojourn/Servant of the Shard)?

I've not yet been able to find this one. Could you give any more info?
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  14:42:28  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS! (Sojourn, Servant of the Shard)
Drizzt tricked poor Hephaestus into believing that everyone's favorite drow ranger was in fact a polymorphed black dragon.......he did this while traveling with the so-called Suffering Brothers toward the end of Sojourn.

Also, Hephaestus is the destroyer of the Crystal Shard at the end of Servant of the Shard, courtesy of Jarlaxle, Artemis Entreri, the folk of Caradoon, etc.

He is referred to as a "Venerable Red", and GODS is he a nasty one....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Edited by - Arion Elenim on 02 Dec 2003 14:43:43
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  15:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, thanks! Found Hephaestus. I hadn't read Sojourn in a few years so I forgot that scene in the book. I understand that Hephaestus is not his "real" name? Anyway, also logged Angalander, supposedly a silver slain by the aforementioned red. Anyone know anything about this one or Mergandavinasander the black dragon of Chult?
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  21:45:17  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think he got that name because he would sell his services (for a very high price) to those who wanted a nice, hot furnace in which to forge magical items. (Hephaestus, or Vulcan to the Romans, was the Greek god of smiths and invention. There's a D&Dized version of him in Deities and Demigods, along with the rest of Mount Olympus.)

I don't know all that for sure, since I haven't read it in a long time either.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2012 :  22:56:50  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<raise scroll>

In research not related to wyrms, I came upon a dragon (long dead) not listed in the database: Aconflagblazen, a female red dragon aka Steam Snake

From Powers & Pantheons:
quote:

After being occupied by various humanoid tribes for several centuries, Velmhold was seized by Aconflagblazen, a red dragon who laired in the sea caves until her eventual destruction by a Calishite dragon slayer whose name has been lost to history. After the defeat of the Steam Snake, as the dragon wyrm was also known, and countless battles with the elves of Tethir, Calimshan continued to expand up the coast building outposts.

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  03:32:23  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
nice find, Mumadar!

brings us to at least 24 23 dragons appended onto the list.
EDIT: the list = the Roll Call of Dragons, in Dragons of Faerun.

those being:
Aconflagblazen, which Mumadar just provided
Alghazh: Shadowdale adventure
Arlavaunta: Temptation of Elminster
Athanaxus: The Dragon's Legacy, from the WotC site
Auriovos: The Dragon's Legacy
Blitsenax: The Dragon's Legacy
Claugxinaurak: Cloak & Dagger
Dargentum: Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark
Derianthaxa: Cult of the Dragon
Dheubpurcwenpyl: Drizzt's Guide to the Underdark
Dundrendon: The Dragon's Legacy
Halathormagarl: George Krashos, here on Candlekeep
Hamairathgauraundon: Hand of Fire
Krakestros: The Dragon's Legacy
Magrevystala: Unapproachable East
Naurglaur: Spellfire
Orlgaun: Ruins of Zhentil Keep and Spellfire
Palasiraks: Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor
Pelendralaar: Pool of Radiance: Attack on Myth Drannor
Shimmergloom: FRCS
Silp: Shadowdale adventure
Tannath: Shadowdale adventure
Thantanaton: The Dragon's Legacy
Ulhindos: Shadowdale adventure

undoubtedly, there are others scattered about. i haven't been organized in the search.

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 21 Jul 2012 09:05:56
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  08:21:56  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't pull up the database. I can only see the list in the most recent post. Here are some that aren't on that list:

Velcuthimmorhar; aka Hephaestus *1; red - Sojourn, Dragons of Faerūn
Kazmil-urshula-kelloakizilian; aka Urshula, the Black; black - "If Ever They Happened Upon My Lair"
Byphast, the Frozen Death; white - "IETHUML"
Ingeloakastimizilian; aka Icingdeath; white - The Crystal Shard
Haerinvureem; aka Shimmergloom; shadow - Streams of Silver, Dragons of Faerūn [Web Enhancement]: City of Wyrmshadows
Hephaestus *2; red - Servant of the Shard, The Ghost King
Ilnezhara; copper - "Wickless in the Nether"
Tazmikella; copper - "WITN"

*1 - Hephaestus 1 lived near Mirabar
*2 - Hephaestus 2 lived near the Spirit Soaring Cathedral

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  09:04:15  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yea the link in the original post doesn't seem to work. the "list" i very vaguely referenced was the Roll Call of Dragons in Dragons of Faerun, which came out a couple years after this thread started. but i forgot that Shimmergloom was Haerinvureem, who is on the Roll Call.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  09:21:24  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The list (status 2003) can be found on the Candlekeep website in Alaundo's Library
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  21:06:10  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shinedown sings, <"Hola, here we go.">

Velcuthimmorhar; aka "Hephaestus" *1; venerable - Last known to be returning to dormancy northwest of Mirabar (Sojourn)
Hephaestus *2 (apparently an altogether different dragon); great wyrm - Lived southeast of Spirit Soaring Cathedral (Servant of the Shard) - Deceased & converted to dracolich; Last known to be fused with the Crystal Shard and the illithid Yharaskrik, banished to the Plane of Shadow (The Ghost King)
(It has never been determined whether these were meant to be the same dragon, with old Heph possibly having moved to a new home. But for now, the descriptions do not match, so they are treated as distinct entities, here.)

Kazmil-urshula-kelloakizilian; aka "Urshula"; great dragon - Deceased & transformed into dracolich, then re-killed by red dragon flame, with his spirit residing in a dracolich phylactery now possessed by Jarlaxle Baenre ("If Ever They Happened Upon My Lair", Promise of the Witch-King)
Byphast - Last heard promising to leave Vaasa and return to the Great Glacier, but still linked to one of Zhengyi's dracolich phylacteries for use upon her eventual death ("IETHUML")

Fyrentinnimar; aka "Old Fyren the Great"; great wyrm; red - Deceased by firbolg decapitation (The Fallen Fortress)

Ilnezhara & Tazmikella (sisters); great wyrms, both centuries old (Taz was the elder) - Last heard promising to return to Heliogabalus, Damara, disguised as humans (Road of the Patriarch)

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2012 :  22:14:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the Roll Call of Dragons from Dragons of Faerūn is still available for FREE download from WotC.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 21 Jul 2012 22:15:26
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000