Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Evil Chosen of Mystra
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  01:26:06  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, like all her OTHER Chosen aren't just as barmy!!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  01:33:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

... Halaster would make a good chosen, if he wasn't so busy doing his own thing.

Well, we do know he is [was] something, but that wasn't a Chosen of Mystra. Ed has specifically said so, in more then one reply here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  01:42:41  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't mean he WAS one- just that he might MAKE a good one. I knew that.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  01:55:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, like all her OTHER Chosen aren't just as barmy!!!

During pre-Spellplauge, no one matched Halaster's madness.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  03:13:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didn't mean he WAS one- just that he might MAKE a good one. I knew that.

Aye. Thought it was just interesting to throw that little tidbit from Ed out there.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  13:23:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Cyric would have been extremely happy [and lucky] if he had managed to recruit Halaster as his Chosen. But the question is, how do two mad men "communicate" to each other?

Edited by - Dennis on 23 Sep 2011 13:54:41
Go to Top of Page

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2011 :  14:07:07  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Cyric would have been extremely happy [and lucky] if he had managed to recruit Halaster as his Chosen. But the question is, how do two mad men "communicate" to each other?

Probably using a delicate balance of verbal outbursts and bodily excretions

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2011 :  15:23:17  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Karsus...or rather, Mystra would come back as the Chosen of Karsus.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2011 :  15:30:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

I can't say I wouldn't like that.

Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2011 :  18:36:15  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

face/desk

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2011 :  23:12:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I noticed everyone's picks are all males. Can't we have a female? Say, Shyressa?

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  02:00:00  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Shadowsil.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Therise
Master of Realmslore

1272 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  04:03:48  Show Profile Send Therise a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Provided she uses a different epithet. Hers sounds like windowsill. Wait, haven't I said that before? ;)

You asked for someone female, then you deride the name in a rather judgmental and unfriendly way. Not cool, definitely not funny.

Many names, titles, appellations, etc. in the Realms are going to seem a little strange. Surely, being a long-term fan of the Realms you would know this. Sometimes I don't understand you at all, Dennis.

Female, 40-year DM of a homebrew-evolved 1E Realms, including a few added tidbits of 2E and 3E lore; played originally in AD&D, then in Rolemaster. Be a DM for your kids and grandkids, gaming is excellent for families!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  04:15:16  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scribes have already got on to him about a "pet" name he has for Manshoon...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 26 Sep 2011 04:18:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  04:35:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And back to the topic, please.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  05:43:01  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think Tyranthraxus, the Flamed One, would make a fine Chosen of Mystra. He's always been a rather productive fellow.

Then again, imagine the possibilities if he were (hypothetically) Selūnthraxus, Chosen of Selūne ... a benign noncorporeal entity mingled within the awesomely magic waters of the Moonwell Pool of Radiance ... until both the pool and it's spiritual occupant were corrupted (by Bane?) into fiendish darkness. 'Twould make an interesting story if some agency were employed towards earning Tyranthraxus his long-overdue redemption or eternal rest. Again, I digress.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  05:51:48  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I think Tyranthraxus, the Flamed One, would make a fine Chosen of Mystra. He's always been a rather productive fellow.

Then again, imagine the possibilities if he were (hypothetically) Selūnthraxus, Chosen of Selūne ... a benign noncorporeal entity mingled within the awesomely magic waters of the Moonwell Pool of Radiance ... until both the pool and it's spiritual occupant were corrupted (by Bane?) into fiendish darkness. 'Twould make an interesting story if some agency were employed towards earning Tyranthraxus his long-overdue redemption or eternal rest. Again, I digress.

I actually like it.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  05:58:38  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Therise
You asked for someone female, then you deride the name in a rather judgmental and unfriendly way. Not cool, definitely not funny.

Many names, titles, appellations, etc. in the Realms are going to seem a little strange. Surely, being a long-term fan of the Realms you would know this. Sometimes I don't understand you at all, Dennis.
Hmm. I made fun of her name long ago when MT mentioned her in one of the threads I started. I think that was Why not Archvillainess?, or Favorite Names. I didn't hear any complains. Though that's a good reminder. I already made a promise to myself not to deride certain characters whom others obviously like.

Anyway, back on topic. The reason why I'd also like to see more female Chosen, and this time, evil, is because more often than not, females take a backseat in terms of playing major roles in FR fiction. As I noted before, they are as capable of villainy as the males are. Perhaps even better.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  06:15:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although I agree, I doubt we'll see any evil Chosen of Mystra appear in the Realms. Mystra has been redefined (several times) as a good-aligned benevolent goddess, one willing to selflessly sacrifice herself (over and over again) to preserve the vital Weave, oppose evil deities, and generally assume (overstep) divine boundaries to promote her goodly moral agenda.

So I doubt we'll see her power channelled into evil receptacles, or at the least, I doubt we'll see her "permit" her Chosen to actively propagate evil on any real scale. When we do see Mystra's power directed into wholesale badness it'll probably be explained away as the actions of insanity, rogue personalities, theft of her divine power, or interference by another (in any combination) ... it won't be explained as Mystra's favour being bestowed upon morally undeserving monsters. Just my opinion, even if it saddens me.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  06:23:39  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ed said that Mystra had some evil Chosen. But he couldn't say who they were. I asked it myself, but I'm too lazy to search for it now. Perhaps our beloved Sage and Wooly could quote it for us.

Also, [I'm paraphrasing Ed here] Mystra tended to prefer having good-aligned beings as her Chosen because the evil ones were usually inclined to go on their own and forget about their duties to her. Which, again, doesn't mean she didn't have evil Chosen.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  06:50:51  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you talking about something Ed said two or three editions in the past? The Realms have changed, we must now accept that goody Mystra is simply part of canon.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  07:16:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

She recruited evil Chosen in the past. What's stopping her from recruiting more when she returns?

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  16:17:20  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My choices (pun) for evil Chosen of Mystra would be Hesperdan, Halastar Blackcloak, and Szass Tam. Sammaster is sort of moot because he was a chosen, but kind of like Darth Vader'd himself into the darkside after being Chosen iirc?

Hesperdan I would love to know more about, and if he survived the spellplague.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  16:29:48  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Szass Tam? I doubt Mystra would choose someone whose soul has been traded to Bane, one of her more persistent rival.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  17:01:52  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Realms have changed, we must now accept that goody Mystra is simply part of canon.

That idea was mainly the speculation of hostile non-fans, vaguely hung on a handful of unrepresentative sources (in substance, not just by stating a particular semi-arbitrary D&D alignment) that were always far outweighed -- in volume, consistency and authority -- by the accurate lore. The most substantial sources on Mystra -- Faiths & Avatars, Ed's novels, Secrets of the Magister, elaborations on REALMS-L and here, etc. -- are perfectly clear.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  18:12:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

quote:
The Realms have changed, we must now accept that goody Mystra is simply part of canon.

That idea was mainly the speculation of hostile non-fans, vaguely hung on a handful of unrepresentative sources (in substance, not just by stating a particular semi-arbitrary D&D alignment) that were always far outweighed -- in volume, consistency and authority -- by the accurate lore. The most substantial sources on Mystra -- Faiths & Avatars, Ed's novels, Secrets of the Magister, elaborations on REALMS-L and here, etc. -- are perfectly clear.

Indeed. I've also pointed out more than once that her good alignment was a plotpoint in a single novel, and was resolved in that novel by her being slapped down soundly for it. And yet, there remains that misconception.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  19:53:23  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Szass Tam? I doubt Mystra would choose someone whose soul has been traded to Bane, one of her more persistent rival.

Yes you're right of course, I was considering Szass pre-the (edited!) Thay series written for the Spellplague transition to 4th edition. In say, Red Magic, he would fit in well with the other chosen. But yes, the 1000 year pact thing with Bane sort of makes him a Bane chosen not a Mystra chosen.

Edited by - Seravin on 27 Sep 2011 15:24:29
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  22:35:19  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Other than that, I doubt Mystra would recruit someone who intends to become a god.

Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2011 :  23:59:14  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Other than that, I doubt Mystra would recruit someone who intends to become a god.

Well, Azuth, Savras and Velsharoon were all mortals once. Velsharoon actively tried to become a god, and is still trying to gain more power. Even though he was officialy recruited by Azuth, Mystra could've interfered.

Of course, I'm not trying to say that Tam would be a good recruit for Mystra, but him trying to become a god is probably not the main reason.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2011 :  01:50:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Well, Azuth, Savras and Velsharoon were all mortals once. Velsharoon actively tried to become a god, and is still trying to gain more power. Even though he was officialy recruited by Azuth, Mystra could've interfered.

Of course, I'm not trying to say that Tam would be a good recruit for Mystra, but him trying to become a god is probably not the main reason.

My mistake. Forgot to add more qualifiers. What I meant was, someone who intends to become THE ONE AND ONLY GOD and REMAKE THE WORLD TO HIS LIKING.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000