Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Dead Demigods
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  14:48:40  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So dead gods don't really die, they just float, asleep, in the Astral Plane if I remember correctly. Is this the same for 2nd or 3rd edition demigods (1-5 divine rank)?

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  15:10:46  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is dependent on which world in D&D you are on when consulting this. I think the "higher" end of the spectrum with more followers has a chance of going to the astral, but I think the lower end of the spectrum is either absorbed by the prime material plane or the plane of their preference.

This isn't verified in any books but it is how I would treat it otherwise.

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  16:04:02  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't they live unless they're killed on their home plane of existence? Like Moander should be dead-dead after Finder killed him in the Abyss?
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2013 :  18:02:01  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd say it would depend on the astral domain the demigod posseses and the amount of wheight you give in your campaign to achieving ascension.

If you go for the 4ed Exarch explenation that these gods spend most of their time on the Material plane they likely have no domain of their own yet. You can also choose to decide that reaching divinity means you automatically start forming an afterlife on your personal domain in the astral plane. Larger sized home realms provide a diety with more ways to survive a lethal attack (by absorption into the domain or changing its form during a conflict).

Most dead gods whose domain have been destroyed end up in the astral as a giant statue of themselves (its regulated by Anubis, who is the guardian diety of dead gods and the astral planes). I can't remember if the size of the statue is linked to the divine ranks a dead god had. If so, than lesser demigods would likely make only medium sized statues, which are easily lost in the vastness of the Astral planes.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000