Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Star Wars, KoTOR, Bear With Me
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  06:15:50  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Delete Topic
Ok everyone, bear with me on this one.

Yesterday I acquired this game and after playing through the tutorial of sorts, I can tell you, it took me the rest of the day just to calm down enough to be able to go on playing.

I haven't been this excited about a game since the release of ToB. And oh my goodness, what a game it is. Fully 3D in a lara croft style interface, except this is smooth and detailed. Every piece of dialogue is an actual voice and the list of pro's jsut goes on and on. I have heard that the PC version is buggy, but have yet to encounter and bugs so here is hoping.

The reason, though, that im posting this, is that the game is developed by Bioware whom I am sure noone needs to be told about. Furthermore, its based on adapted D&D rules. The names are all changed, like from Power Attack to power shot, and so forth, but by Torm, its 3e or 3.5e or something D&D rules adapted for a Star Wars universe. Two of my favourite things in the world combined in one. As I said to my one friend....im sooooooo lesbian right now.

What a freaking amazing game, simply superb, and im loving every second of it. I mean think about it. A fighter character, choking and using the force, dual wielding lightsabers...*tries to calm down*

So just wanted to share that little tod bit of info with everyone, in case others were as clueless to this as I was.

If anyone is looking for a 4CD game, and doesn't know which one to buy, look no further, that Star Wars, Knights of the Old Republic.

Two VERY entheusiastic thumbs up!

Edited by - Alaundo on 24 Aug 2004 09:56:20

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  06:20:08  Show Profile
Duck, MuadDib! Alaundo's going to have your head for this!
It uses the Star Wars D20 system rules. The rules are as related to D&D as D20 Modern is related to D&D.
*Ducks.*
Go to Top of Page

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  11:05:01  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message
Indeed, Bioware delivered another master piece (I've played it on Xbox and it blew me away. But I hear there is a ton more things on the Comp version).... But I'll warn you.. Alaundo can get very.... disagreeable when we stray from topics, as I have recently found out... But by all means coninue... I could use help mopping the lower levels...
Now I have to scamper away before Alaundo finds out i'm skipping chores again...

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  12:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
::slumps in chair holding his head in his hands and rubbing his forehead in despair::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  21:29:54  Show Profile
Maybe that 'Other Worlds' forum was a good idea...
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  22:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Maybe that 'Other Worlds' forum was a good idea...

Well met

why of course, Arivia. Cardinal Deimos is leading the way, please feel free to follow him and aid him on his journey, quickly, there he is

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2003 :  23:41:20  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Sounds to me as if this is something to be whispered about, in the dark recesses of the library . . . likely accompanied by the sounds of mops and dusters.

::As he speaks, Bookwyrm fingers the lightsaber he keeps in one of his robe's inner pockets . . . .::

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  05:43:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
It's nice to see that I am not the only one who has strayed off topic this week...

::As the Sage begins to wander down the candle illuminated hallway, he passes by the scribe named MuadDib, stopping briefly. Looking deep into his eyes, he quickly garners the scribes complete concentration. The Sage slowly raises his slightly cupped right hand, brushing it up across the face of the scribe.

As he does so, the Sage slowly and surely utters the following words, "I understand there are Beholders in the new NWN expansion 'Hordes of the Underdark'?...Please...tell me about them..."
::

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Nov 2003 05:45:20
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2003 :  09:14:30  Show Profile
Oh, fine then.

*Walks over to the nearest broom closet, pulls out a broom, and stamps down to the dungeons angrily...*
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 30 Nov 2003 :  05:34:45  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message
The reason I posted this topic was to share with all of you the wonders of the D&D system being adapted and shaped into other arenas where it is makign a truly outstanding impact.

After reading this topic and being dismayed at the response, I emailed my contacts at gamespot, posted at Bioware and contacted the Bioware PR people.

Their statements were that KoTOR uses a new combat and game system that is an almost exact replica of the system used in the acclaimed NWN titles and that this system was then adapted to include the star wars universe. Some interface changes were made, but combat as such, is pretty much D&D by the books. Not as complicated as some of the feats are missing, but its mostly there.

As such Alaundo, I'm really sorry for wasting time and space on the boards. I did not mean to offend anyone or cause any trouble. As I'm sure most people know, I would never do anything to jeapoardise what I have here on the boards, and with your permission perhaps we could close this topic and forget I ever said anything.

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  15:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
No need to sound so abject, MuadDib. You didn't do anything wrong, or offensive.

If you go here, you'll find a list of d20 feats all the way at the bottom. In it, there's a section on Star Wars-specific feats.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Yasraena
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  19:31:18  Show Profile  Visit Yasraena's Homepage Send Yasraena a Private Message
Not to get off topic a little, but has anyone played Jedi Academy, the sequel to Jedi Outcast?
An amazing game. Outcast was cool, but Academy is muuuuch better. you can not only customize your character's look, but also their lightsaber in the form of different hilts and blade colors. When you graduate to an actual Jedi Knight, you can them pick your style of saber combat from single saber, dual saber or saber staff. each of these styles has unique moves and attacks that are really cool to pull off. (The dual saber style is my favorite)
Toward the end of the game, you fight along side multiple jedi against multiple dark jedi. It's almost like being in the arena scene in AotC. Very cool stuff.

It is more of a FPS game than roleplaying, but the story is pretty cool and you do have to make a concious choice to go either light or dark side.
Definitely worth the while of any Star Wars fan.

"Nindyn vel'uss malar verin z'klaen tlu kyone ulu naut doera nindel vel'bolen nind malar."
Yasraena T'Sarran
Harper of Silverymoon
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2003 :  22:33:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Yasraena

Not to get off topic a little, but has anyone played Jedi Academy, the sequel to Jedi Outcast?
An amazing game. Outcast was cool, but Academy is muuuuch better. you can not only customize your character's look, but also their lightsaber in the form of different hilts and blade colors. When you graduate to an actual Jedi Knight, you can them pick your style of saber combat from single saber, dual saber or saber staff. each of these styles has unique moves and attacks that are really cool to pull off. (The dual saber style is my favorite)
Toward the end of the game, you fight along side multiple jedi against multiple dark jedi. It's almost like being in the arena scene in AotC. Very cool stuff.

It is more of a FPS game than roleplaying, but the story is pretty cool and you do have to make a concious choice to go either light or dark side.
Definitely worth the while of any Star Wars fan.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  01:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message
Cleric! We need a cleric! I think Alaundo's having a heart attack!

Yas, you ought to know better than strain an old man like that.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  08:02:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Cleric! We need a cleric! I think Alaundo's having a heart attack!

Yas, you ought to know better than strain an old man like that.

::grumble:: Still.....able.....to.....issue......chores....Book...Wyrm

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  13:02:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Yasraena said -
quote:
When you graduate to an actual Jedi Knight, you can them pick your style of saber combat from single saber, dual saber or saber staff.
It's been a few years since I read through the tome, but IIRC, the Darkside sourcebook mentioned the fact that the saber-staff (re: Darth Maul) was solely the weapon of a Sith?.

Now, to keep this thread at least partially Realms related (and keep Alaundo's itching hand away from his staff ) Does anyone have an accurate pricing for the Hordes of the Underdark expansion?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Dec 2003 13:03:29
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2003 :  13:51:25  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

Now, to keep this thread at least partially Realms related (and keep Alaundo's itching hand away from his staff ) Does anyone have an accurate pricing for the Hordes of the Underdark expansion?.

Well met

Hmmmmmm, you know full well that this isnt the scroll for such a request, Sage! Try this one.

Alaundo

Edited by - Alaundo on 02 Dec 2003 13:52:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked