Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 "The Thousand Orcs"
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Great Drizzt
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  08:24:33  Show Profile  Visit The Great Drizzt's Homepage Send The Great Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Has anyone bought the new Drizzt book? It came out on the 15th, so I imagine a few people have, I went to buy it today, but the "ole" credit card was declined.
If not, how many of plan on getting it, I'm just curious as to how many people liked R.A. Salvetore's books about Drizzt and his party.
The Great Drizzt

"Don't poke Drizzt, 'tis highly unsociable!" Drizzt Do'Urden -BG1

Edited by - Alaundo on 18 Oct 2002 12:02:05

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  10:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Under the section novels there are two threads: one 'I can’t wait till Wednesday' that discusses the newest novel about Drizzt.

The second thread is about 'Drizzt Do’Urden' and discusses the novels Drizzt is in and Drizzt himself.

The following links are to those threads:
‘Can’t wait till Wednesday’ http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=133
and ‘Drizzt Do’Urden’ http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=141

Maybe you should check out the other forums too instead of concentrating only on the chat section.

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  13:03:33  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First a request for more new threads, now a request for less.
I just can't keep up.

I bought the new book. Waldenbooks has it 15% off right now. They
also have a buy four sci-fi fantasy novels, get one free deal going on.
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2002 :  14:10:42  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i also got mine, actually i got it as a Sweetest day present but im sure 99.9% of u have no idea what sweetest day is, it seems to only be a holiday in Michigan. basically a end of the year valintines day so Hallmark card company can make a little more money, ANYWAY, i got it as a sweetest day present from my GF

on a side note its already caused me one night of going to bed late, im sure it will for a few more as well!!!!!

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Ditalidas
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
127 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2002 :  13:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Ditalidas's Homepage Send Ditalidas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I did not request for less topics. I only pointed out that the topic already exists. Nothing more nothing less. I don't see the point of discussing the same subject under different threads... but that's only my point of view...

'All that is' is also 'All that is not' for the one cannot exist without the other.

Sweet Water and Light Laughter
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2002 :  04:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
[Q]on a side note its already caused me one night of going to bed late, im sure it will for a few more as well!!!!![/Q]

I know what you mean. the conversation usually goes like this:

wife:How long have you been waiting for that book?

me:Four months.

wife:How long do you have to wait for the next one?

me:A year.

wife:And how long did it take you to read it?

me:(looking at feet, slightly shuffling)Two days.
Go to Top of Page

enchantedgoblin
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2003 :  17:05:28  Show Profile  Visit enchantedgoblin's Homepage Send enchantedgoblin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the new book and the cover looks great!
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2003 :  19:30:45  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really wasn't crazy about this novel....there were several inconsistencies in it that bugged me...

First of all, it seems to me that if Drizzt and Co. and a ton of dwarves can handle a drow invasion, any amount of orcs (even a thousand) shouldn't be much of a problem...on top of which, since when were frost giants ever an issue for Drizzt?

What is more, I found the sudden introduction of new archvillains a bit daunting and exhaustive....I don't think it prudent to just fling new villains into the fray and say "although we present no info about them, let us just say that they are a match for Drizzt and friends, arguably the most powerful six companions on Faerun".

Then again, Salvatore has surprised me before....there is most likely method to his madness...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2003 :  13:41:38  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finished reading The Thousand Orcs a couple of days ago, I must say that I was quite impressed and pleasantly surprised by the novel. For a start, I hadnt realised that it featured all the companions together for the whole novel as I thought the series was just about Drizzt. The inclusion of the Bouldershoulder brothers fitted in very nicely for a bit of humor. The orcs\giants were depicted very well too.

One thing I will say is...... dont you think the base of the plot bore a bit of a resemblence to the Helms Deep scene in The Two Towers?!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

DrizzitFan
Acolyte

Singapore
26 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2003 :  04:53:52  Show Profile  Visit DrizzitFan's Homepage Send DrizzitFan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

I finished reading The Thousand Orcs a couple of days ago, I must say that I was quite impressed and pleasantly surprised by the novel. For a start, I hadnt realised that it featured all the companions together for the whole novel as I thought the series was just about Drizzt. The inclusion of the Bouldershoulder brothers fitted in very nicely for a bit of humor. The orcs\giants were depicted very well too.

One thing I will say is...... dont you think the base of the plot bore a bit of a resemblence to the Helms Deep scene in The Two Towers?!

Agree with you on the overall writing, its one of RAS's better works in recent years. N the climatic battle to hold the wall ala Helm's Deep, spot on. Though we won't be sure if RAS was influenced by LOTR:TTT (movie) or just a happy coincidence

It'll be interesting how the next book shapes out as it appears to feature Drizzt as a lone avenging drow mowing down hordes of Orcs/Goblins/Giants.... seems to feature lots of battle descriptions which I enjoy, but I worry about the story development. Any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000