Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Age of Discovery
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Xevo
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  13:31:26  Show Profile Send Xevo a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Faerun, Zhakara, Kara-Tur, and Maztica...
The known continents of Toril. But what are the others? Is there any canon information about them? What ideas for these "new worlds" have some of you created?

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
-Terry Pratchett

Xevo
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  14:00:09  Show Profile Send Xevo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
btw, I am still on the 2nd/3rd ed. timeline. So anything from Abeir...um...no. Don't want.

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
-Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2011 :  19:26:21  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Osse is the Australian analogy, Katashaka is supposed to be African, Anchorome pre-Columbian USA/Canada and Malatra south-east Asia.

Some of my own changes were moving Calimshan, Semphar, Al-Qadim and all similar countries to one subcontinent. Chult and Katashaka are closer, there is a continent similar to X'endrik and Warhammer's Lustria south of Maztica. South of Zakhara is an undead continent, like the Tomb Kingdoms and Zothique.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  02:02:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quale

Well, Osse is the Australian analogy ...
I'd be a little more generalised with that assumption.

Aside from a few obvious examples in Lady of Poison, I wouldn't say that Osse is a direct translation of, or heavily influenced by, Australian Aborigine culture -- Gunggari's mannerisms aside [as well as his 'dizheri'], the supposed "ways" of the Osse people could very well be associated with many other examples of Polynesian tribal cultures.

In fact, I always thought the actual name "Osse" was something of a joke...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Xevo
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2011 :  04:37:58  Show Profile Send Xevo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about finding any definitive information, though I think I was aware of Anchorome. I want my next campaign to involve an exploration/discovery of these realms by people other than powerful mages. I also welcome ideas and adaptations that are your own modifications.

-Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000