Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Lords of Waterdeep Board Game
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2012 :  13:24:42  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got the game when it came out, but it was a little while before I was able to play it. I've played it twice with my neice and nephew (my nephew won both times) and I thought it was a decent enough game. They seemed to enjoy it as much as they enjoy Settlers of Catan and Talisman, though the second game of this went by quite a bit faster. I liked the details that have been put into the game and I believe one of my other friends will appreciate them more than my neice and nephew as he has played a few Realms video games and used to play the D&D minis game.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  00:35:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went to my FLGS and saw they had it. But not in a friendly way. $110 - youch!!! Even I baulked at that. A bit of online searching found a far saner price. Should have it in a week or two.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2012 :  00:48:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Personally, I would like to see a Greyhawk Wars boxed set.

Instead of chits...having actual pieces like Axis and Allies.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  05:05:30  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't heard anyone comment on the game since shortly after it's release. I bought it, was quite impressed with it's quality, and have played it 1 on 1, 4 player, and 5 player on numerous occasions. It's really quite good. Come from behind victories after the close of formal play are the rule, and it is very hard for any one player (absent incredible luck - good or bad) to get way ahead or way behind. Best of all, the lore is QUITE tight. There isn't a quest or building that doesn't fit the theme.

I will admit I am a little surprised though at the fact that I have seen no formal demos or play ops at GenCon! You think they'd take the opportunity to fly copies off the shelves (or debut that sixth expansion faction...). What gives?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  13:35:03  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed that is surprising, they missed a great opportunity. For my part, I'll admit that my interest for game has diminished over the past few months, basically for the reasons I explained in this scroll. Then again, I had about 4 new boardgames since, so I rarely remain on the same game for very long.

I still recommend it for players new to the genre.
Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  13:53:15  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've played it several times since getting it last month with a variety of different players. I've enjoyed it very much. The play has been different depending on the number of players, the Lords that are in play, and the buildings that come into play.

I heard that Wizards would be running demos and such, but I haven't seen anything official on the GenCon site. If I hear something further, I will post here.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  16:20:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still haven't been able to find a copy here.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  18:59:44  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This has become the default game for my group to play. It's a very fun game and it is very well balanced. The only thing I would change about it is to spice up the Lords cards a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  19:05:34  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being the player with the most experience (and, ahem, talent) with euro-styled game, especially ressource-managing games, I'm usually the sole target when an opportunity to hinder someone appears. That happens even when I'm not currently in the lead. So in a game with attack cards, I've had games completely stuck for complete rounds. I've had 3 mandatory quests stacked once, try to recover from that against competent players.

I prefer low-luck/high strategy type games, though they cause more headaches (the good kind).
Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  20:18:51  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kris the Grey
I will admit I am a little surprised though at the fact that I have seen no formal demos or play ops at GenCon! You think they'd take the opportunity to fly copies off the shelves (or debut that sixth expansion faction...). What gives?

Just found the answer. There will be demos and "learn to plays" for Lords of Waterdeep (and all of the other WotC board games released in the last couple years) in the Board Game Hall. There is also going to be a full Lords of Waterdeep tournament. If you go to the GenCon Event system and type in Lords of Waterdeep in the Keyword field, you'll see all of it.
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  21:00:57  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent! I was hoping for a Tournament. Thank you for the information - we just signed up.

I'm glad to see they are hyping the product, it's worth it.

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2012 :  21:03:39  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Smerwin,

By the by, since it seems you might be attending, did you see my thread here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16681 ?

;)

Go to Top of Page

smerwin29
Acolyte

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2012 :  13:51:14  Show Profile Send smerwin29 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Smerwin,

By the by, since it seems you might be attending, did you see my thread here: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16681 ?

I sent you a PM.
Go to Top of Page

Gabrielle_H
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2012 :  22:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't heard anyone comment on the game since shortly after it's release. I bought it, was quite impressed with it's quality, and have played it 1 on 1, 4 player, and 5 player on numerous occasions. It's really quite good. Come from behind victories after the close of formal play are the rule, and it is very hard for any one player (absent incredible luck - good or bad) to get way ahead or way behind. Best of all, the lore is QUITE tight. There isn't a quest or building that doesn't fit the theme.

I have also been enjoying it, and am surprised that it hasn't been mentioned more around here. In my house, it's quickly beat Talisman as the Game To Play. Actually, my assistant has run off with my copy, muttering something about wanting All The Purple Guys, and lures me up to her house to play it with her husband and (9-year-old) daughter. She was "holding it for me while I moved." Yeah, that's it. ;)

The dynamics definitely change between 1 on 1 and multiplayer. I always bristle at first at having so few agents per turn when there are more players, but I do like the way it makes the game move fast, and the fact that it can make the choices about where to move REALLY hard sometimes.

I haven't worked it into my GenCon schedule, but I'm looking forward to playing it with 5 when I get home.

Gabrielle Harbowy, scribe and editrix
http://www.gabrielle-edits.com
twitter: @gabrielle_h
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  01:23:03  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally got a chance to play the game at my local game store. Besides D&D, my favorite games have been Shadows Over Camelot and Munchkin. This game already had a soft spot in my heart due to the fact it was:
1) Set in Faerûn
2) In Waterdeep
3) Had my favorite wizard as a playable Lord.

The gameplay was quite enjoyable. It wasn't too complicated, and competitive enough to be fun.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  01:29:34  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lords of Waterdeep has become a hit with my playtest group.

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2012 :  01:46:12  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gabrielle,

There are a healthy number of spots left in the GenCon tournament sessions (running throughout the weekend) if you are still interested. If it's a paucity of remaining free time you are facing then, sadly I cannot help you with that! Lol.

Go to Top of Page

Gabrielle_H
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  16:49:25  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are a healthy number of spots left in the GenCon tournament sessions (running throughout the weekend) if you are still interested. If it's a paucity of remaining free time you are facing then, sadly I cannot help you with that! Lol.

Yes, it's the free time issue, as is the way with cons. I'm already booked 8am-10pm Thursday and Friday, and the rest of the time always manages to fill itself -- either with me or despite me. :)

Thanks for the heads-up, though! If I find myself with some spare time on Saturday, I'll definitely go hunt it down.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2012 :  16:58:51  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I finally found two stores in Santa Cruz (California) that have this game.

Now I need to save up my pennies and then spring the game on my regular D&D players before I transition our campaign from Cormyr to Waterdeep, so they hopefully get some idea of what Waterdeep is about.

Speaking of which: for those of you that have played the board game, would you say it can serve reasonably well as an introduction to Waterdeep for a group of D&D players that don't know anything about Waterdeep?

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 09 Aug 2012 17:12:31
Go to Top of Page

Gabrielle_H
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  01:01:49  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Speaking of which: for those of you that have played the board game, would you say it can serve reasonably well as an introduction to Waterdeep for a group of D&D players that don't know anything about Waterdeep?

I would say a very provisional yes. It doesn't give you a sense of where everything is, since some buildings are in different locations from game to game, but you definitely come away with a few solid impressions:

* shady things happen at the harbor

* many things are...negotiable...at the inn

* the names of the city factions become familiar

* the overall flavor of the quests on the quest cards is a good representation of the dynamics and objectives you might see in town

* the lords with their different bonuses give a strong impression of the shadowy political undercurrent. The silent benefactors behind the scenes can have significant sway on the final outcome of the game

It's not enough background to enable you to leap into the world and act as if you belong there, but it does give a good sense of the overall atmosphere, for those who pay attention to more than just the numbers on the board.

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  03:11:28  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Gabrielle.

That sounds just about right then. I hope to pair the game with some of my old 2E Realms material, just to show the players how immense Waterdeep is.

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  21:30:43  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jeremy,

One of the things I liked best about the game is it's faithfulness to Waterdeep lore. It does mix and match some events from various eras, but it is largely set in the 1370 to 1372 timeframe (close of 2E to start of 3E - basically it dove-tails nicely with the lore in the 3E Waterdeep hardback supplement) in it's selection of Lords, events, factions and the like. The buildings (while not always quite where you'd expect them to be) are all pretty much out of established lore, the quests (and NPCs and factions mentioned therein) are all faithful to the things you might find in the city. I was VERY impressed.

It is so faithful that I invented a 'bonus trivia game' the first half dozen or so times I played it with my gaming group where if they told me a bit of lore about a quest, card, building (like what ward it should be built in, what street it is on, something about who lives there or runs it, etc) when it came into play I'd toss them a minor boon (like 50 to 100 xp) in our game to test their knowledge of the city/Realms (my campaign started in the city and thus they had reasons to know about it).

Good stuff indeed!

Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2012 :  23:10:03  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right on Kris. That's what I was looking for in terms of info about the game, as well hoping for.

Ideally I'd like for my players to get familiar with Waterdeep to where I can lore-test them as well. I'd like to use that knowledge during play for more intrigue/mystery style games.

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  13:24:52  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This looks interesting. I'm currently considering whether to buy it or not. Amazon has kindly reminded me that it's available. The reviews on BoardGameGeek are positive. As a game how is its repeat playability like? normally, with a new board game you play it a few times to get a good understanding of rules and strategies then you stop once you realise you're using the same strategy over and over.

From what I've seen, it looks detailed and the artwork is very nice.

Oh, and another question, can you use D&D miniatures instead of cubes for the adventuring characters?

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Gabrielle_H
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  15:10:20  Show Profile  Visit Gabrielle_H's Homepage Send Gabrielle_H a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

As a game how is its repeat playability like? normally, with a new board game you play it a few times to get a good understanding of rules and strategies then you stop once you realise you're using the same strategy over and over.

From what I've seen, it looks detailed and the artwork is very nice.

Oh, and another question, can you use D&D miniatures instead of cubes for the adventuring characters?

I think it stands up to repetition well, because there are only a limited number of slots for adding buildings, and each building has its own bonuses, so you'll likely see a different skew to the board every time. Game play also really varies considerably depending on how many players you have. Playing with two is a different gameplay experience than playing with four.

To replace the cubes with minis you'd need a LOT of miniatures, but if you have lots of fighter/rogue/cleric/mage minis already, I don't see why you couldn't use them. They don't actually come into play on the board, they're just counters that are acquired and turned in.

That's a fun idea, actually. And I've just gotten into mini painting. Hmmmm....

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  15:27:49  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gabrielle_H

To replace the cubes with minis you'd need a LOT of miniatures, but if you have lots of fighter/rogue/cleric/mage minis already, I don't see why you couldn't use them. They don't actually come into play on the board, they're just counters that are acquired and turned in.

That's a fun idea, actually. And I've just gotten into mini painting. Hmmmm....

Back in the day, I bought lots of the D&D pre-painted mini's, so there are lots of Evoker's Apprentices, Tordeks, Jozans, Mialees and Lidas to use. The idea actually came from a comment I saw by someone about Agricola, where instead of using cubes to represent livestock they used animal models.

Continuing the idea, and after enough plays, you could may be have a bit of a bidding war some sort of advantage for certain characters. But that's far in the future.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Snowblood
Acolyte

Australia
25 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  15:35:51  Show Profile Send Lord Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder will this game be on-sale online so I can order a copy? Where will it be sold?

[url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2008-bmw-635d-coupe/]2008 bmw 635d coupe[/url] [url=http://expensiveautomobile.com/2007-bmw-hydrogen-7/]2007 bmw hydrogen 7[/url]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  15:52:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Snowblood

I wonder will this game be on-sale online so I can order a copy? Where will it be sold?

Amazon has it for a reasonable price.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  16:15:16  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Changing the cubes for miniatures would requires about 20-25 for each classes, but it can be done. I'm not sure id it will actually improve the game experience, but if you don't have to invest anything for it, give it a shot.

I saw the set for Agricola using animal models, it was awesome! But in that case, space will probably become a problem at some point.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2012 :  17:09:03  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Changing the cubes for miniatures would requires about 20-25 for each classes, but it can be done. I'm not sure id it will actually improve the game experience, but if you don't have to invest anything for it, give it a shot.

I saw the set for Agricola using animal models, it was awesome! But in that case, space will probably become a problem at some point.

I think miniatures would actually slow down gameplay. The cubes are easy to identify, some miniatures might be ambiguous. Plus I think you need a pretty big play space for each player. There are times your tavern can be pretty well stocked.

Lords of Waterdeep is an excellent game.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000